R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'd go get that looked at. my son did a similar thing a couple years ago and they were able to make it look pretty normal. that will take a long time to heal on its own and won't heal right with the nail damage.

This. By all means. Can’t tell on my phone due to small photos, but it looks like exposed bone, meaning an open fracture, You don’t want infection or you’ll lose more of the finger. A repair can make it look and work better than you’d expect. Fortunately, sort of, most outdoorsmen get dinged up enough that our tetanus shots are current. Save the booze for when the ER bill comes. Glad it wasn’t worse.

Just noticed that you’re in Canada. The ER bill will be covered, eh?

Yup.

Is it true that if you go to the ER in Canada today, you'll probably get seen by approximately June 17th?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

673 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Redneck
Eeeek... Damn. I've been running wood splitters for nearly50 years and so far (knockin' on wood here) I've always made damn sure my hands are on the SIDE of the piece, and never on the end..

Best wishes for speedy recovery..

Yup, lift the log set it on the beam, put one hand on top of the log to hold it, use the other hand to run the hydraulics.

No shyte.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sleeping on the other side of the bed now I bet 😂

673 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
i'd go get that looked at. my son did a similar thing a couple years ago and they were able to make it look pretty normal. that will take a long time to heal on its own and won't heal right with the nail damage.

This. By all means. Can’t tell on my phone due to small photos, but it looks like exposed bone, meaning an open fracture, You don’t want infection or you’ll lose more of the finger. A repair can make it look and work better than you’d expect. Fortunately, sort of, most outdoorsmen get dinged up enough that our tetanus shots are current. Save the booze for when the ER bill comes. Glad it wasn’t worse.

Yup.

Is it true that if you go to the ER in Canada today, you'll probably get seen by approximately June 17th?

This wouldn't surprise me, I didn't go this time, nor the last two times I probably should have.
What do doctor's know? its easy to poke around when its not their finger LOL.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR

Yup.

This wouldn't surprise me, I didn't go this time, nor the last two times I probably should have.
What do doctor's know? its easy to poke around when its not their finger LOL.

That made me laugh out loud. hahaha

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by renegade50
That is gonna send electric shocks up your hand and lower arm for a loooooong time when it heals up.
The lightest touch will set it off when ya least expect it.

Hurts just looking at it......

GLWTF.

renegade50;
Good day to you sir, I trust the second Saturday in May finds you well.

It's interesting how many of us have managed to damage our hands in various activities and I know from your post that you are one of those who know also how my cyber friend 673 might feel.

After I'd stuck my hand in the table saw, I tried a few times over the years to play guitar, but as you say, it felt like I was grabbing electrical wires. As well, I have to look at my fingers and will them to go where they're supposed to, whereas before the table saw they sort of had a memory of their own? Guitar players will get that I suspect?

The 2 other things that I recall were cutting meat my fingers would get so cold handling carcasses out of the cooler that for years afterward I'd have to stick them in warm water to get them working again. The other thing about cutting meat was I had to be super careful as I sliced my fingers a few times - didn't feel it of course - and was merrily cutting thinking, "my goodness that's a bloody bunch of steaks!" eek

Tying on small fish hooks when either ice fishing or flies was a bugger too as I had to eventually learn to hold them in my left thumb and little finger. Otherwise I'd invariably pull the hook into the holding finger - again couldn't feel it - whilst snugging up the knot and then look down in dismay to see it firmly embedded in my finger tip. cry laugh laugh

Oh, the other thing I just thought of is when one is wrenching on something and one needs to hold a nut with the left hand - in a blind spot like under a fender well - I can't really feel if it's cross threaded or not.

That hand still gets colder faster when I'm ice fishing now and as mentioned guitar is not an option, but other than that I've pretty much gone back to normal with it.

Anyways again to 673 and all the rest of the 'Fire folk who've managed to mangle our digits, in one of very few instances I can say this - I feel your pain.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by renegade50
That is gonna send electric shocks up your hand and lower arm for a loooooong time when it heals up.
The lightest touch will set it off when ya least expect it.

Hurts just looking at it......

GLWTF.

The other thing about cutting meat was I had to be super careful as I sliced my fingers a few times - didn't feel it of course - and was merrily cutting thinking, "my goodness that's a bloody bunch of steaks!" eek

Good morning Dwayne.

I must say that I am sorry for your finger situation with the table saw but this sentence right here made me spit my coffee all over my laptop. hahahahaha

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good Lord. I'm gonna need a shot just for seeing that

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yup. The whiskey will work. Better pick your nose with the other hand though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did the same thing with a router bit several years ago, looked just like that. It heals up fine but took forever for the tenderness to subside!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

673 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MPat70
Did the same thing with a router bit several years ago, looked just like that. It heals up fine but took forever for the tenderness to subside!

I find the mental anguish (stress) worse than the pain itself. I also have to keep working, no benefits here for me, so that's a challenge.
Thank you all for the well wishes. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good day to you once again my friend, I still hope the day's a good one for you - as good as it can be all things taken into account.

At one point in my life I was a Level II OFA for a decade or so, this in a cabinet manufacturing plant, so besides my own digital issues I bandaged a good double handful of others.

For me, knuckle bandages are the way to go. They stay on and protect way, way better than standard ones.

If you can find an industrial safety supply place, you can get bulk boxes for not too bad cost and they're usually better quality than the Wally World ones.

While you're there, if you've ever put on tube gauze, that's a very good way to put protective padding on one or two fingers as well.

Lastly, if your stomach can take it, no name Advil is something I lived on for half a year when I had a root canal go sideways and then stuck my hand in the saw part way through that. Tylenol did nothing for me, but Advil clones worked wonders.

Good luck and again all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with that 673.

Slammed my right trigger finger in the door of my '54 Chevy coupe. Had a chrome edge protector strip on the door, I think it caught my finger. Or I just f'd up.

Probably yelled some cuss word loudly (appropriate at the time? Maybe I should start a thread? ) Was still living at the folks place, so maybe 18-20 years old, still in Junior College? Mom ran out, saw my finger when I held it up, ran back in and brought me about 4 oz of whiskey. Went down in one shot and off to the doc we went. End of the finger in some tissues and ice or something.

Took it off at an angle from the palm side tip to the base of the nail. Doc gets a look and asks what I did for a living, hobby. When I mentioned machinery and stuff, he said he could sew the tip back on to make it look prettier, but if the nerves didn't heal correctly, I'd probably get it caught in a chain or something and make it worse as I wouldn't feel anything until it was too late. So we just left it as is.

It's different now, but the nail grew back, albeit a little thicker and at a somewhat weird angle. Only about 1/4" shorter on the nail side, so most folks don't even notice.

Best thing was the neighbor brought over some vicodin. Doc said just take tylenol/aspirin.

As I said, good luck with that thing, and I'd at least go along with the doc thing to help prevent a nasty infection.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
It could always be worse you'll be fine wishing you a quick recovery [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
673 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I feel wimpy LOL........... I saw that but couldn't find the thread.
Yeah, you're right it could of been worse, and I do feel lucky....Hope your gonna be ok, and I feel bad for you.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ouch.

Retired cat herder.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm doing great honestly, all things considered I have healed up amazingly. I was able to keep my job and current position which was my biggest concern, still out hunting and fishing and doing most of the things I was doing before the accident. I can still grip a beer and coffee mug. In sixth months I have adjusted quite well. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worry about the ronna is not worth losing a body part.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm doing great honestly, all things considered I have healed up amazingly. I was able to keep my job and current position which was my biggest concern, still out hunting and fishing and doing most of the things I was doing before the accident. I can still grip a beer and coffee mug. In sixth months I have adjusted quite well. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🤙

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol, yer a dick.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,904
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.