Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by killerv
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Have you priced used trucks lately?

Folks are selling their used trucks for more than they paid for them new now.

I have and just purchased one 2 days ago.

Purchased a nice used car about a month ago also. I am very aware of the market.

No where did I say buy just any truck. You have to do a little legwork and be smart about it.

I know, but with the covid and chip shortage mess, its hard to find a deal.

I got a carvana estimate on my 2020 sierra, I didn't pursue it because I couldnt replace it...but offer was 6 grand more than I paid for it new last September. Crazy. I'm seeing folks begging to pay msrp at minimum instead of the markup the dealers are getting now.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The sale price on all of my leases were (retail - the monthly payment cumulative total) Payment on a Gold Key lease was 1.7% to 1.9% of sticker, $650.00 - $750.00/month

Last edited by MM879; 05/13/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Autotrader.com and you can find anything that you are looking for how ever far you want to look for it. Bought our last two vehicles that way and most dealers will ship out of state if need be. I put the wife in the car for a 150 mile road trip to look at our last one, then bought it and drove both of them back home. Lenztruck.com advertises that they have 800 late model trucks / SUV's on their lot at any one time and they ship all over the country. My truck is basically a 6,500 # play thing that depreciates every year, but that is because of it's age, not it's condition as it doesn't get daily driver miles. Old guys with good stuff die every day and low mileage vehicles are out there. I've got my recently deceased uncle's 2007 Dodge van with 49k miles on it right now in my driveway that has a blue book like 3k on it. Just need the title to get it gone.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what's up with truck prices lately, but I've been holding onto my old 2002 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab with 240k miles on the clock for 4 years since I bought my 2017. Four years ago I'd of taken $8k for it. After watching prices seemingly jump on these things the last year or so, I put it up for sale at $11,500 last month. Sold twice for $11k. First buyer confirmed he'd take it, but couldn't get financing (they wouldn't do it as truck had over 150k miles), the second brought cash.

Mind you, the truck was in fair shape, but long in the tooth with a couple dents, scratched (desert pinstriped) paint, bed all pugged up from hauling firewood and crap, and had certainly been off roaded and used. This was not a "mint condition" truck by any stretch.
In shopping for a new one, search all the dealer's inventory in your area, and see who has what you want. Call the internet sales manager or fleet sales manager and ask them their email address, and tell them you're going to be buying, are looking for bids, and are going to send them a request for pricing. Send the email detailing exactly what you want to anyone who has what you want, and wait for offers to come back in. Do this the last week or so of the month when they're trying to hit their quota for factory to dealer incentives. No need to walk in and deal with salesmen. Cuts right through all their bullchit. When I bought my 2017 new 4 years ago, got it for $590 under invoice with this method, when most the dealers said they wouldn't budge below sticker price. I got one of the better deals on a new Tacoma TRDOR 4x4 I've heard of by doing that, using the methods from "fightingchance.com".

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DaveR

In shopping for a new one, search all the dealer's inventory in your area, and see who has what you want. Call the internet sales manager or fleet sales manager and ask them their email address, and tell them you're going to be buying, are looking for bids, and are going to send them a request for pricing. Send the email detailing exactly what you want to anyone who has what you want, and wait for offers to come back in. Do this the last week or so of the month when they're trying to hit their quota for factory to dealer incentives. No need to walk in and deal with salesmen. Cuts right through all their bullchit. When I bought my 2017 new 4 years ago, got it for $590 under invoice with this method, when most the dealers said they wouldn't budge below sticker price. I got one of the better deals on a new Tacoma TRDOR 4x4 I've heard of by doing that, using the methods from "fightingchance.com".

And right now that guy is talking to the 20 people on his lot, willing to pay full ticket rather than responding to your email.

This is not the same market as 4 years ago.

Me

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by MM879
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by Calhoun
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.

I have a 6.4L Ram. The engine was certified with 5w-30 oil. Shortly after release corporate changed to 0w-40 full syn oil. I am not certain why they did that but, I know it was for reason. The 0w-40 full syn is very costly and hard to find. The only sources I know of is internet and dealer. There was an oil filter design change also. The 0w-40 is the best oil I have ever used. The only problem is the 0w-40 is twice the price of normal oil. The Euro market uses a 0w-40 full syn of a different specification. FCA recommends against the use of the Euro standard.

I believe it is related to oil supply of the cams and roller rockers in the 6.4 related to the MDS. I've read a bit about 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi with MDS scortching cams with low mileage. Not sure I've read enough reports that it'd deter me from buying one though, I think the failure rate is pretty low and mostly attributable to poor maintenance.

Last edited by ajmorell; 05/13/21.
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Bingo. I've bought a total of TWO new vehicles in my entire life, most have been used that were a couple years old. Both those new ones were at closeout prices that were lower than a good used vehicle. Bought 4 cars now from a local dealership which does a flat price.. no negotiating, the sticker price is the sale price. They've offered good deals, we've bought from them.

But when I started looking a couple months ago, it made no sense to buy a used truck because the market as just priced too high.. Why buy used when there's no real price advantage? I found one pretty good deal.. it just wasn't the truck I wanted.

When the market gets back to normal, I'll look at it again.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Very happy with my GMC Canyon, but there are times when I want a larger cargo bed. But for most of my needs it's a great truck.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Bingo. I've bought a total of TWO new vehicles in my entire life, most have been used that were a couple years old. Both those new ones were at closeout prices that were lower than a good used vehicle. Bought 4 cars now from a local dealership which does a flat price.. no negotiating, the sticker price is the sale price. They've offered good deals, we've bought from them.

But when I started looking a couple months ago, it made no sense to buy a used truck because the market as just priced too high.. Why buy used when there's no real price advantage? I found one pretty good deal.. it just wasn't the truck I wanted.

When the market gets back to normal, I'll look at it again.

In general, the prices are nuts right now.

But I did just buy a used F350 with about 85k miles for 40% of what a new one would cost. Truck is clean and straight.

I just bought a nice used car, loaded with about 110k miles for about 25% of what the new version costs.

I nearly succumbed to the temptation of buying a used 16 F350 king ranch last week and that truck was probably about 60% of the cost of new.

Takes a lot of hunting and legwork. They aren't as common as they were before this crazy stuff started happening.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I don't agree buying new is a bad thing. when its not being effected by covid. go look at trucks that are slightly used. 2 years old 30k ish miles. THE PRICE ON THOSE IS MORE MOST OF THE TIME THAN NEW. its a myth buying new is bad. 4 years ago I bought my wife a 2014 pilot with 40k miles. in 4 years we have seen about 13k in depreciation. if we had bought new instead. deprecation would have been less than 10k. Now the only way to really make sense it to keep driving the vehicle another 3-4 years and our depreciation will only be about 6k, more. but if we just traded out every 4 years you get a new vehicle and the cost isn't really more, IMO . yeah it makes terrible sense to buy new when you pay way too much for the new vehicle. about 10% off sticker less incentives is where I normally start on a new vehicle. buy it right and you will be ok.

You should buy a Chevy dumb fuqk...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Today I picked up a new 2021 loaded GMC Denali 4x4 crew cab for $5k off the Msrp. Plus they gave me $1500 more than what I paid for my trade when I bought it new. Trade in was a 2019 F250 that I purchased new almost 2.5 years ago.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MM879
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.

I have a 6.4L Ram. The engine was certified with 5w-30 oil. Shortly after release corporate changed to 0w-40 full syn oil. I am not certain why they did that but, I know it was for reason. The 0w-40 full syn is very costly and hard to find. The only sources I know of is internet and dealer. There was an oil filter design change also. The 0w-40 is the best oil I have ever used. The only problem is the 0w-40 is twice the price of normal oil. The Euro market uses a 0w-40 full syn of a different specification. FCA recommends against the use of the Euro standard.

I believe it is related to oil supply of the cams and roller rockers in the 6.4 related to the MDS. I've read a bit about 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi with MDS scortching cams with low mileage. Not sure I've read enough reports that it'd deter me from buying one though, I think the failure rate is pretty low and mostly attributable to poor maintenance.

I have got 70k on it now. There was a ticking problem until I got the new part number oil filter. Since then, everything has been perfect. I change oil at 5k. I could not imagine going to 15k on the light duty schedule. It is hard on oil. I pull a large travel trailer and the oil is ready for a change at 5K. It doesn't consume any oil, just gets dark.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Buy used 1 owner private sale if possible.

Let someone else take the hit depreciation wise.

Fugg dealers...
They always seem to want full blown retail resale "Exc " condition for actual good or fair condition vehicles.
You start quote price ranges on private sale , trade in values, and retail resale from reference sites. They try as hard as they can to dismiss that schitt.
But will cherry pick to use that info when selling to a rube.

They lowball the fugg outta any trade in, then try and get full blown retail resale.

I can only imagine what their sales pitches are now with this chip
" shortage"...

Fugg em
Let em rot
Same class as lawyers and politicians IMO.
If they were honest people, they wouldnt be selling vehicles JMO.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
I can only imagine what their sales pitches are now with this chip
" shortage"...

"We're offering a good deal by letting you buy at MSRP. A lot of dealers are selling for over MSRP."

Actually heard that from one.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I'm not seeing the same things you guys are seeing in used truck prices...

I shopped on cargurus.com for my last truck and the prices on most of the trucks was about what I would have expected for used trucks. They have a feature I really liked that let you know if it was priced about right, over priced, or a great deal and it was pretty accurate. Just yesterday just for kicks and giggles I went on their site and put in a search for 2018-2020 Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks and found a ton of them and all priced pretty reasonably for the model, mileage, and options. None that I saw were priced at "new truck" prices.... I don't have any connection with cargurus.com but I think you guys shopping for trucks need to widen your search a bit if you're seriously looking for a decent deal. A bit of patience and the money to buy quickly or financing already lined up helps also as the best deals disappear quickly...

Just an example- https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...itySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c26877

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 05/13/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You can still find a deal here and there if you are persistent.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobBrown
You can still find a deal here and there if you are persistent.

Depends on what youre looking for.

The best deal ive found so far is a co-worker trying to get out of his 2020 Trail Boss. Ive been looking at 2021 Trail Boss's but 50k is the absolute lowest I can find on a lot. Co-worker has 10k on his and wants 34k for it. Its a Custom with 5.3 though, and I want an LT with a 6.2 For a few grand more I can buy new.

I almost bit the bullet last Saturday on a 21 LT 6.2 Trail Boss, but they only wanted to give 11k for my 2011 CC Z71. That put me at 40k out the door. If they would have went 38k it would be at my house right now. But I made up my mind 38k is my limit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a Tundra then wait 20 years and get another one.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Buy a Tundra then wait 20 years and get another one.

I have had mine for about 3.5 years. Bought it used with about 85k on it. Close to 250k and it's about played out.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Montana MOFO
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Today I picked up a new 2021 loaded GMC Denali 4x4 crew cab for $5k off the Msrp. Plus they gave me $1500 more than what I paid for my trade when I bought it new. Trade in was a 2019 F250 that I purchased new almost 2.5 years ago.

nice truck, watch for that rear window leak, its not a matter of if but when. I dropped my 2020 off yesterday to have my leak addressed. A lot of folks having to have lifters replaced too.

Last edited by killerv; 05/14/21.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.