-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We went from kerosene lamps to electric without torturing America.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
Zero percent of our food is grown with wind and solar. Electricity can't make anhydrous ammonia or pesticides. The Green New Deal is a suicide pact.

Swing and a miss. Lots of crops being grown without anhydrous, or pesticides, or both -- if you'd like, come on down, and I'll show you our hay farm -- we use NO man made fertilizer or pesticides of any kind, and yet we harvest double the county average in yield. We do, however, use electricity for irrigation.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dutch
Zero percent of our food is grown with wind and solar. Electricity can't make anhydrous ammonia or pesticides. The Green New Deal is a suicide pact.

Swing and a miss. Lots of crops being grown without anhydrous, or pesticides, or both -- if you'd like, come on down, and I'll show you our hay farm -- we use NO man made fertilizer or pesticides of any kind, and yet we harvest double the county average in yield. We do, however, use electricity for irrigation.

Dutch I have to ask, concerning your methodology, what about soybeans, corn, cotton, sugar cane, truck farming and other needed commodities?

People don’t eat hay but realizing good livestock for food does,

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget pluots. Greenies love pluots.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hahaha!

There is nothing wrong with wind power. Or solar.
Or hydro....or coal or any of them.

When we invade Norway or Denmark to get their wind turbines....I will change my mind.

^^^This right here^^^

There’s nothing wrong with wind power but if it really worked all that great as a global solution, well I’ve never heard of wars being started over wind turbines or solar panels....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
People don’t eat hay

Not yet.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Hahaha!

There is nothing wrong with wind power. Or solar.
Or hydro....or coal or any of them.

When we invade Norway or Denmark to get their wind turbines....I will change my mind.

^^^This right here^^^

There’s nothing wrong with wind power but if it really worked all that great as a global solution, well I’ve never heard of wars being started over wind turbines or solar panels....

If and when the Gooberment ever go's against Wind Power.
They will say that the Turbines are slowing the Earths Rotation because of the drag from the wind.
As well as all of the Birds they kill and when the Gear Box's Break all of the toxic oil spread down wind.
Ya just have to know how to spin things.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can look out of my office window and see billions of tons of oil, natural gas and propane moving every day, and that's just by water. It's really hard for me to believe that these people aren't idiots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dutch I have to ask, concerning your methodology, what about soybeans, corn, cotton, sugar cane, truck farming and other needed commodities?

All we do is use manure to grow a crop; our soil is heavy glacial clay, so our crop choices are limited, and hay is relatively idiot proof, a big plus in our circumstances. Our system is simple, we liquefy the manure from the fish tanks and then pump it through the irrigation system onto the fields. We save about $70 per acre per year in fertilizer costs (plus application costs). We save an additional $20K per year by avoiding having to haul off the manure somewhere else in a honey wagon. We are also eligible for USDA organic status, but for the fact that that program would require we let the USDA stick their nose in our business, an opportunity we happily decline..... We are looking to buy some neighboring acreage because soil testing is indicating we are applying more nutrients than needed.

The second part of your question: can this be used on other (commodity) crops? Many cultivars from many crops absolutely HAVE to have chemical support through pesticides. On the other hand, more and more cultivars are coming available specifically bred for increased pest resistance. I grew up in an orchard, one of the most chemical intensive crops. My father went to his deathbed deriding the very idea you could produce an apple without pesticides. Yet, today, I can go to just about any grocery store in this country and buy organic apples -- neither pesticides nor fertilizer used for at least three years. A little more expensive, but the market has decided that the additional cost is worth whatever it is that the consumer is looking for. And that's how it should be.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The almond industry should be ashamed of itself.

Hauling in bees.........what a fugging travesty.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Like it or not, life will look a LOT different in 10, 20, 30 years from now.

Technology that most of us conservatives think is evil (because of how it has been subsidized and politicized) will be mainstream.

Companies are building batteries made from nuclear waste that will last thousands of years. They will be commercially viable in a decade, or less. (look up "radioactive diamond batteries") There are start-ups building tiny nuclear reactors to power micro grids that will be market ready in 6-8 years.

Autonomous vehicles will reach a point where they are so safe, that insurance premiums to drive your 1983 F-150 is cost prohibitive.

Bottom line..... if you old farts think none of this is for real and life will look the same 10 years from now...... you are delusional.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The almond industry should be ashamed of itself.

Hauling in bees.........what a fugging travesty.

The almond industry should be ashamed of itself. Water wasters, the honey isn't fit for human consumption, a big portion of the crop goes to our beloved friends the Chinese, no telling how many "migrant workers" are involved in that industry, and there's the infamous

Almond milk.

They have to call it that because no one would buy..............................

Nut juice.

Well, maybe some folks would, but not most.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Valsdad

The almond industry should be ashamed of itself. Water wasters, the honey isn't fit for human consumption, a big portion of the crop goes to our beloved friends the Chinese, no telling how many "migrant workers" are involved in that industry

So have you boycotted everything almond?

Seems like you are a passionate anti-almond militant. Seriously, can you tell us the last time you had almond in a meal? (hint - I bet in the last 24 hours, whether you knew it or not)

And hint: The almond industry doesn't exist to produce HONEY. It exist to produce ALMONDS.

You assertion of "migrant workers" really shows your intent to be prick.......... Northern California orchards are almost 100% automated.

Have you actually seen an almond tree "picked?" LMAO

Side note:

Almond orchards ARE hard on water - it is not like an alfalfa field where a farmer can pass for the year. Almond trees need water EVERY year, or they die. That is a huge issue in that industry.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude,

I live in NorCal, and have seen my share of almond orchards.

I generally know what I'm eating.

I am not a fan of nuts in general, almonds I can tolerate when in other products. If noted on the label and I have an alternative I will usually avoid an almond containing product...................except when my wife bakes with almond flour. I do not eat them out of hand.

Who operates the "automated" machines in those orchards? Who mows, sets out and repairs irrigation systems. I have nothing against LEGAL migrant workers, but having lived in Cali most of my life since 1963, I kinda know the routine.

I'm sure you like some Nut Juice in your desert coffees.

If everything "almond" disappeared from the face of the earth by the time I wake in the morning, it would not affect me in the least. Before meeting my wife, I rarely if ever had anything whatsoever to do with almonds.

As a fish guy, I'd rather see every ounce of water withdrawn from the Sacramento/San Joaquin system left in the river than to grow one f'n more almond tree.

Do you have relatives in the almond industry? Heavily invested in it? Gamble in almond futures.

As for being a prick? Thanks for the compliments coming from the beloved Duck911 smirk

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Irrigation is removing needed water from river systems.

Your ox will be gored as well.

Last edited by Backroads; 05/16/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RufusG
People don’t eat hay

Not yet.

Sobering thought, Rufus.
People in North Korea supposedly eating grass and weeds.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

All we do is use manure to grow a crop; our soil is heavy glacial clay, so our crop choices are limited, and hay is relatively idiot proof, a big plus in our circumstances. Our system is simple, we liquefy the manure from the fish tanks and then pump it through the irrigation system onto the fields. We save about $70 per acre per year in fertilizer costs (plus application costs). We save an additional $20K per year by avoiding having to haul off the manure somewhere else in a honey wagon. We are also eligible for USDA organic status, but for the fact that that program would require we let the USDA stick their nose in our business, an opportunity we happily decline..... We are looking to buy some neighboring acreage because soil testing is indicating we are applying more nutrients than needed.

The second part of your question: can this be used on other (commodity) crops? Many cultivars from many crops absolutely HAVE to have chemical support through pesticides. On the other hand, more and more cultivars are coming available specifically bred for increased pest resistance. I grew up in an orchard, one of the most chemical intensive crops. My father went to his deathbed deriding the very idea you could produce an apple without pesticides. Yet, today, I can go to just about any grocery store in this country and buy organic apples -- neither pesticides nor fertilizer used for at least three years. A little more expensive, but the market has decided that the additional cost is worth whatever it is that the consumer is looking for. And that's how it should be.

You’ve got an excellent, well thought out and applied system there, Dutch .

As to foods labeled as “Organic “., you might want to read up a bit more on that issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You’ve got an excellent, well thought out and applied system there, Dutch .

As to foods labeled as “Organic “., you might want to read up a bit more on that issue.

Thank you, it's kinda a no brainer in our setup.

Organic? I've tried to read up on the Canadian (we export a lot of our crop to Canada), USDA, State of Idaho, and European systems, but not an expert by any means. Bottom line, as I see it, is that all of them are bureaucratic fiefdoms with rules for the masses and exceptions for the few (like all bureaucracies). As I said, not a fan of the USDA program in particular, because of the individuals (bureaucrats) running the scheme. They make the TSA look like an efficient, well run organization run by pleasant people. That, and the premium for organic hay in our area hardly supports the additional administrative and operational burden for a tiny 100 acre place. If we had 10,000 acres, sure, but not for the little plot we farm.

Originally Posted by Backroads

Your ox will be gored as well.

But because we use the water twice, we are "greener" than anyone else in the neighborhood, so our ox will be last on the list to be gored, and by that time, we'll have built the greenhouses -- where the loss of water is very, very low. Kinda like bear hunting, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your hunting buddy. We'll be greener than Ireland!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by duck911
Like it or not, life will look a LOT different in 10, 20, 30 years from now.

Technology that most of us conservatives think is evil (because of how it has been subsidized and politicized) will be mainstream.

Companies are building batteries made from nuclear waste that will last thousands of years. They will be commercially viable in a decade, or less. (look up "radioactive diamond batteries") There are start-ups building tiny nuclear reactors to power micro grids that will be market ready in 6-8 years.

Autonomous vehicles will reach a point where they are so safe, that insurance premiums to drive your 1983 F-150 is cost prohibitive.

Bottom line..... if you old farts think none of this is for real and life will look the same 10 years from now...... you are delusional.

Of course changes will occur and things will evolve. That is a no brainer for us old farts. We've seen it already.

It's the fact that some people are foolish enough to believe that they alone control the destiny of the earth that disgusts us.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
From time to time a lot of people get sick from eating imported vegetables from other countries, usually Mexico, due to their organic fertilization. Crop workers crapping in the fields.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 6mmCreedmoor, AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 15 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,137
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.