Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
yes its a non - typical archery world record .

This is almost as confusing as your infatuation with sharp things.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes by all means give him a trophy seems everyone should get a trophy now days , in schools it seems everyone gets a trophy now too? but there is only one true World record elk period shot should not matter what it was killed with rifle ,bow or whatever . i wonder this : a professional football player killed a bull elk with a spear on TV so is that a world record too ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pete, I'm assuming you are referring to the Boone and Crockett club, when you say "only one true World record elk". Why did you pick that one, out of several record keeping clubs, what makes B&Cs record the only true ones, and every other #1 record animal needs to have a stipulation that it's not a true world record?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The real record Elk. Sadly the hunter lacked a cell phone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No one will ever know the 'true' world record, all there are are club records.

When Roosevelt started the B&C the hunter wasn't listed just the animal. Now it's a member club and it's the member(ship) that determines if an animal is accepted.

The Shipsey bull was bigger than the spider, but I doubt it was the biggest elk ever killed by a hunter throughout history.

That was probably killed by that 2dogsfucking dude.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it is also important to mention that P&Y/B&C score critters (at least some critters) differently than does SCI. The same rifle killed typical bull (or whatever) would score differently depending on which method was used, making "world records" really ambiguous.

I'd like to explore the possibility of a standardized water displacement system, instead of a measuring tape.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by GregW
Shocking development that Pete makes zero sense....

It's only a bonus that him and VG are attempting to engage in an internet dialogue. The pleasure is truly ours....

SURE IS ,DON`T YOU FEEL BETTER BEING A KEYBROAD TUFFY ? > YES GREG W. YOUR THE MAN !

I feel sorry for you in multiple ways ...

Got that fella so rattled his punctuation and spelling couldn’t keep up...
Always knew you were a tough broad.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pete doesn't need any help...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How does a legitimately taken animal, in a legitimately recognized class of animal determined to be a world record by THE official scoring organization, all of a sudden become the subject of an invective filled debate on an outdoor forum. I'm guessing we will now start debating whether or not the world record coues deer should even be recognized. After all, it is a sub-species of whitetail. Oh well, as long as we continue to eat our own we hunters as a community will surely thrive and survive. Good grief!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete is a special one.
I go back and forth as to whether he just likes to be provocative, or if he really does feel the way that he expresses himself. If his grammar and punctuation is any indication, it would be the latter I guess.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Well thats a nice elk! No matter what method was used, to harvest that elk! Also there is not a person on this forum, that wouldn't try and take that elk, bow, rifle or rock! Anyone that says otherwise, is lying to themselves!.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Heym06
Well thats a nice elk! No matter what method was used, to harvest that elk! Also there is not a person on this forum, that wouldn't try and take that elk, bow, rifle or rock! Anyone that says otherwise, is lying to themselves!.

i would agree nice non-typical bull

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's an awesome bull. According to Pope and Young,it's the highest scoring non typical that has ever been measured under the rules of their organization.

Cased closed. It is the P&Y world record nontypical elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I think it is also important to mention that P&Y/B&C score critters (at least some critters) differently than does SCI. The same rifle killed typical bull (or whatever) would score differently depending on which method was used, making "world records" really ambiguous.

I'd like to explore the possibility of a standardized water displacement system, instead of a measuring tape.

T Inman;
Good afternoon to you my cyber friend, I hope that you're getting the weather you need this spring and that all who matter in your world are well.

Once upon a long time ago, I was kinda/sorta trained to score B&C for our local fish and game club. Nothing more formal than a few guys who'd either been doing it awhile or had gone to a measuring seminar trained though to be clear.

Anyways, all that to say T, for horned animals I felt it resulted in a more meaningful number than antlered animals most times.

For sure for the outsized antlered animals it was less of an understandable translation as far as I was concerned. Moose, caribou and non-typical deer were the worst for me in this regard.

I'd think that a water displacement system would better describe such animals for sure, as some of the moose we tried to score, as well as the antlers with lots of say kickers and stickers on the base, twin brow tines and such just weren't somehow adequately represented - again in my view only.

The other thing that bothered me, enough so that I eventually gave it up, was that a guy could be driving up the mountain on a logging road after spending a hard few hours warming a bar stool, have a buck that scores X cross the road, shoot it and then come to the club for me to measure.

The next guy had backpacked in solo for several days, lived on KD and Ramen noodles, killed a giant that he brought everything out from - even the bones so his dogs could eat them - and this guy's buck scored X -1", so he doesn't get the trophy.

Now I "know" that's how life is and equally I "know" that we reduce things to numeric values in order to compare them. When we do, the numbers will tell the story and I get that.

That all being said T, I prefer to read about some guy who sits on a stand for 37 days straight and finally kills a whopper bull than some chap who pays a small army to follow a different bull around 24/7 and then drops in between other activities to off the animal, you know?

Anyways sir, the rest is my issue with not being able to come up with a numeric value for the "hunt story", but yes, I too think that some sort of displacement would be more descriptive on the really non-typical antlered stuff at least.

All the best to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

That all being said T, I prefer to read about some guy who sits on a stand for 37 days straight and finally kills a whopper bull than some chap who pays a small army to follow a different bull around 24/7 and then drops in between other activities to off the animal, you know?

Fully understood Dwayne, and agreed.
I'd be lying though if I said I hadn't spent days in the backcountry without seeing a darn thing, then 100 yards from the trailhead as I am driving out a good critter jumps across the road in front of me.

Bang.

It isn't how I prefer to do buisness, but won't apologize when it happens that way. I don't officially score critters though, save my big Montana wolf from 2009. I have no interest in doing so. As a result, my "easy" trophies are no higher "scoring" than my difficult ones from a numbers standpoint. I do however, absolutely get a bigger satisfaction from a rough pack out, rather than a 50 yard drag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T Inman;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the day's warm and bright for you folks and all is going more than less the way you need it to.

Thanks for the reply and sharing your hunting experiences which mirror many, many hunts I've had.

Honestly if I think back on many of the whitetail bucks I've taken over the years, a bunch were on the way to or from a "secret spot". shocked

A buddy of mine once opined that he'd rather be lucky than good. Once in awhile I don't mind a bit of hunting luck at all myself!

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Dwayne!

Have a good weekend!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.