a dry climate should be a healthy climate

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Originally Posted by Brad
Montana is near the top, but I hate the cold.

Then why would you consider Montana?

Because it checks most of the other boxes! Mountains, Water, 2A, Enough civilization, Hunting, etc. It may just be too cold. and I'd have to be on the lookout for Conrad.
I said 'semi'-rural, meaning not being in the middle of a 50000 acre ranch, but not the insipid 'suburbs' either.
Budget $5-600
Tn's income tax is pretty attractive.
Don't know why holding a fish offends someone, and don't know why you'd ignore someone for it, but whatever.

That kind of money gets you a lot in the mountains of western NC or eastern TN. There are a lot of lakes in the area and a lot of public land. Finding a place that backs up to the National Forest is still pretty easy. I'd buy land now and build when the stupid stops.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sprint11: I see NO reason what so ever that anyone should fear jimconrad he has a penchant for bluster but I am sure he is harmless!
Move to Montana!
Taxes are low, people are friendly, endless opportunities for recreation (except surfing) and there is room to roam.
I was hesitant about the winters here as I was born, raised and lived the first 50 years of my life in a very moderate climate area (Puget Sound).
I absolutely LOVE the winters here in Montana - done 24 of them now and "no problemo".
Then springs, summers and falls hereabouts are nothing less than glorious.
Like you "I been around" and there is no place that is as wonderful, welcoming, entertaining and low stress as is Montana.
Best of luck to you wherever you decide.
Long live The Big Sky.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Sprint11: I see NO reason what so ever that anyone should fear jimconrad he has a penchant for bluster but I am sure he is harmless!
Move to Montana!
Taxes are low, people are friendly, endless opportunities for recreation (except surfing) and there is room to roam.
I was hesitant about the winters here as I was born, raised and lived the first 50 years of my life in a very moderate climate area (Puget Sound).
I absolutely LOVE the winters here in Montana - done 24 of them now and "no problemo".
Like you "I been around" and there is no place that is as wonderful, welcoming, entertaining and low stress as is Montana.
Long live The Big Sky.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Idaho is better than Montana all around. But if it was me, Mississippi.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
North central to North west Arkansas.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Move to Montana!
Long live The Big Sky.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

see ya there in July

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s crazy how little half a million will buy in much of western MT. Much of Idaho and the mountain west in general.

It’s gone ape schit. Dollar ain’t what it used to be and the situation seems to be escalating.

Paul is right. Buy some land now and hope lumber/materials get to be reasonable again.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I can't imagine too big of a turnout there------Missoula, yes! It is not something your average Montana resident would be interested in !

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Web-Cams/Web-Cams.htm

Last edited by kennymauser; 05/20/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Eastern Oklahoma?

I'm thinking northwest Oklahoma. If I could get the wife to move it would be to the open plains. Southwest Kansas has been a silent dream of mine but Oklahoma is doable.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho or Wyoming.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
if you dont really need to grow anything , rain is overated

a dry climate should be a healthy climate

on a normal basis yes...current gusts are 40+ mph today..

wind/dust is blowing here the last few days again.....

extreme fire danger as usual...never ends

Have a stretch of 3/8" chain I'm gonna have my welder build me a WY wind sock..............

PS......you don't wanna move here.................

[img]https://external-preview.redd.it/AL...891c50a252229aeee6f80faff65d7111b50455c3[/img]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vermont...winters are cold and taxes are high. Most of the state is beautiful, rural and a great place to stay away from the liberals who inhabit the cities which are all small. Personally I like all 4 seasons.

living the good life every day
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you really can’t take the cold, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho might not be the places for you. We had snow on the ground here today in Bozeman, and we had snow on the ground the first day of school last fall. Other than that, VarmintGuy is correct: Montana is a wonderful place. Get outside of Bozeman, Missoula and Kalispell and prices are more reasonable, though they are rising rapidly everywhere. Great hunting and lots of access, great fishing, camping and backpacking, mountain biking and even boating are all readily available here. Friendly people, reasonable tax rates and a business friendly environment round out the picture.Having said that, the craziness that has consumed Colorado, Oregon and Washington is readily evident here now. It might be a few years, maybe even a decade or two, but the hand writing is on the wall: Montana will someday be as insane as Oregon and Washington and California.

I am considering moving back to my home state of South Dakota. The Black Hills are super nice, and have a milder climate than western Montana, though it still is cold and snowy in the winter. Hunting is excellent as as the fishing. Hiking, camping and mountain biking are all great in the Black Hills. Rapid City has an excellent medical community and is large enough to have interesting attractions without being so large that it is unlivable. The political climate and tax structure are also advantageous. Just a thought.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'm gonna admit

I'm fuggin stuck in Podunk

Priced out of any where else......

Property values are sky high-----let the wind blow.......

pic.....when we had extra water

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am actually a very nice person....but it do get cold here.

If I were gonna move...it would be way south.

Go someplace they don't call the cops if you have a lawn mower with no hood on it.

You have every gas greehill you’ve ever owned still on your back patio.

So there’s that.

Not many keep a toilet in their front yard either. Lotta places folks would frown on that.

Wouldn’t a toilet in a stranger’s front yard be a great place for your drunk azz to puke ?

LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I have thought about this myself (not that I would ever do it - much too set in my ways), I have come to the conclusion that once I got down to what I thought was a good place, I would go there and rent something, even an apartment, for at least six months to find out what the area and people were really like before I made a permanent move.
Wherever you decide to land, best wishes to you.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
IWhat are y'all's opinions? Just gathering all info possible to decide where to vamoose too. (Is it correct to use two apostrophe's in one word?)

I can't think of much that would entice me to move farther east than the foothills of the Rockies and maybe the Dakotas. It would take a lot of money guaranteed up front and be a temporary situation guaranteed up front.

Politics are a thing, taxes are a thing, no way around that. There is an amount of politics and taxes I'd put up with if the tradeoff is good enough hunting and fishing ... there are no utopias, no place that is perfect. It's a question of finding the most advantageous, or least disadvantageous, compromise.

Oregon is home. There are issues but I've grown up playing the system to get what I want out of it. It would be hard to leave. At the same time, not knowing the ropes, it might be hard to get started in. My first choices if I were to leave would be Idaho, Montana, possibly Wyoming, and some of the more mountainous parts of Nevada and Utah. Could consider parts of Colorado, New Mexico, and maybe Arizona ... maybe even California ... but probably not Washington. I don't know enough about real Alaska vs dream Alaska to be sure 'bout that one.

Are you in one of the Oregon counties that voted about switching to Idaho? Saw that and found it interesting, and similar to what happened n VA not long ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chris_c
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
You're not on my ignore list like that other guy holding his catch, .

Huh don't think I ever corresponded with you

Lol....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My problem is that I don't really want to be anywhere permanently. I might as well keep my stuff here.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nothing going on here other than getting ready to leave the Texas Hill Country for far north Idaho for a few months in a week or so. With the pup we are driving this trip, 500 miles a day, 4 days.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 67 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,536
Posts18,472,786
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.