Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
The wife and I are thinking about a new camper and wondering if airstreams are worth the cost? Looking at something in the 19-20 ft. Range. Airstreams are about 3x times what cheap campers run, are they worth it? Thanks Darrell

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Resale on them is super high but if you are worried about that better get a 24+ footer 19-20 is crowded for 2.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the above. Definitely get bigger than you think you need. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did. We have a 26 and it’s perfect for my wife and I. They cost more but you get what you pay for.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Airstreams, Casita’s, and Scamp’s hold value.

If you don’t care about that, buy something else.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had a 26’ International since 2007. Great rig. I’d say that the other brands of RV’s have many more ‘features’ but almost always at the expense of quality. I’ve criss-crossed the country 4-5 times and wandered around the East & West hunting & fishing for up to 50 days at a time. In my opinion, after 14 years and probably close to 100,000 miles, the trailer is aging well. All I have to do is routine maintenance and properly winterize. My other friends are already on their second or third trailers as the Silver Twinkie, as my daughter calls it, keeps on cruising.

I think anything much longer than 26’ could get dicey on backwoods muddy & rutty roads where mine seems to wind up often but your use might be different than mine. For sleeping, it’s great for 2 but my floor plan uses the space for a third bed as a mobile office. I’m not a fan of using the kitchen table as a bed on a regular basis. Seems to disrupt the already tight quarters more than I enjoy.

I think they are worth every penny as an asset that depreciates slower than most comparable trailers and will always have an easy re-sale should I need to bail out.

Good luck!

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Resale on them is super high but if you are worried about that better get a 24+ footer 19-20 is crowded for 2.

Solid advice.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
High price but high resale value. Quality construction with the same lousy pumps, furnace, water heater, reefer, etc. that every other manufacturerer uses. No storage room. Heavy. No clearance - tough to even pull into driveways. Rear bumber cannot even support a bike rack except for a Famirra that needs multible reinforcement modifications.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
OTOH, you could probably buy/sell 3 NEW “cheaper” campers for the same price. Yes, resale is more on an Airstream, and if you get a used one, that’s great when you sell it. If you get a NEW one, though, you’ll probably lose $15k plus driving it off the lot.

They’re “neat”, but no slideouts make them seem cramped, to me...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I worked in RV Parks in different states for 7 yrs. seen almost every camper made.I like Airstream but would not buy one due to not having any slideouts.First camper i bought was a 28' Sandpiper TT no slides was nice at first but didn't last long.2nd camper was a Cardinal 33' TT with 2 slideouts kept it 2.5 years traded for lack of storage.My 3rd was a Cardinal 35' FW with 3 slideouts and was happy with that one.Lots of room and storage.

if you buy just for weekend camping,vacations the Airstream should be ok.If you plan to full time or for extended stays it will most likely get old soon.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Riverc
I worked in RV Parks in different states for 7 yrs. seen almost every camper made.I like Airstream but would not buy one due to not having any slideouts.First camper i bought was a 28' Sandpiper TT no slides was nice at first but didn't last long.2nd camper was a Cardinal 33' TT with 2 slideouts kept it 2.5 years traded for lack of storage.My 3rd was a Cardinal 35' FW with 3 slideouts and was happy with that one.Lots of room and storage.

if you buy just for weekend camping,vacations the Airstream should be ok.If you plan to full time or for extended stays it will most likely get old soon.

Precisely why we bought a Lance.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We have a '52 Airstream 22' I rebuilt, tows great, wind doesn't affect it much and it's just cool. How many other rigs are that old and still usable?

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
We have a '52 Airstream 22' I rebuilt, tows great, wind doesn't affect it much and it's just cool. How many other rigs are that old and still usable?

I'll sell you a 52 Ford coupe to tow it with, perfect match.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

We have a 27T artic Fox with one slide, it is a 4 season trailer. That I tow behind my 2008 Toyota Tundra. Highly recommend both.

I agree with others I would not go to any larger trailer. Only changes I made to the trailer were installing Golf cart 6V batteries and

Installing a waterproof master switch next to the batteries. That model trailer has a small current draw all the time with out the master switch.

I did install load range E tires from load range D tires. Mine were 15" the next year they came with 16" tires. Stating to think about a new one.

A little shorter.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Used to be great quality.....not certain now, as they were recently bought out by one of the two huge rv conglomerates.....which are well known for “lack of” quality control and reducing material quality!

Not the greatest in cold weather, from my limited knowledge of them! Though, most people rarely camp in cool weather! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 05/23/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They look cool, always wanted one.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks to everyone for your input. We would not be taking any trips longer than 2 weeks, and usually shorter. We’ll check into the Scamps and Casitas. We appreciate all the information that has been shared.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We just bought a Winnebago 2529RG
It`s 28` 7", a little longer than you`re interested in.
But they have several models in the 19`-20` range.

https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/towables/travel-trailer/micro-minnie-1?floorplans=true

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Riverc

Precisely why we bought a Lance.

OP, you need to give Lance a serious look. They are a cut above most of the contenders. They will cost about half what an Airstream costs, and are every bit as well built. The Lance 2285 has a great layout. In a smaller units the bed is right in the middle of things. On the Lance 2285, it is semi private. Pretty good storage on that unit too. The small slide-out opens it up pretty well.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2285/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are in the Airstream price range. Might be better built too. https://www.blackseriescamper.com/travel-trailers/hq21.html

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

I'll sell you a 52 Ford coupe to tow it with, perfect match.

Tempting!

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.