Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a kiddo now and the feeling of fatherly responsibility is weighing heavy on me.... I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I currently own a little Ruger single action .22 revolver. Working on becoming a dead eye shot with it. I have never owned a centerfire handgun. I have been considering buying a revolver such as a GP-100 or S&W 66 (or something similar that is used). I think I would like owning one and enjoy shooting it. I also like the simplicity of them (I know they are mechanically complex under the hood but you know what I mean). I like that I could press it up against a mountain lion's chest as it gnaws at me and just keep pulling the trigger until I run out of ammo.

But since this is supposed to be more than a range toy or hunting weapon, I am thinking I might want to avail myself of 100+ years of shooting technology and get a semi-auto. I am specifically thinking a polymer framed pistol, which will also save me some money compared to a quality revolver.

Glocks seem cool and I have no desire to be different or special, but I have heard from many that there are plenty of good options now in terms of polymer framed pistols. Since availability is spotty these days, I'm trying to come up with several potential choices.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Smith Wesson M&P full size or compact
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it). Hopefully I can get a chance to handle or even shoot some of these in person before too long.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glock, HK, and Sig are my preferred brands. A 9mm would be ideal for a step up from your 22. Im partial to Glocks....Point and shoot simplicity. A Glock 17 is a great firearm that is versatile. Good in the woods or bed side gun. I shot 3 gun matches using a 17. Larger to conceal carry but it can be done. Beretta is another consideration? Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to the gun store and handle both the Glocks and the M&Ps.
Which fits your hand and feels the most natural when you bring it up to acquire the sights?
Both are quality pistols and you can't go wrong with either one.
Personally I went with the M&P9 and have been very happy.
But I still have the itch for a Glock 19 I haven't scratched yet.
I have a few Sigs but the P320 just didn't impress me.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Glock‘s never a bad choice. Neither is the Ruger. You might want to also check out the Sig P365 series. Especially if you might decide later on to carry a concealed handgun .Figure out which one fits your hand the best and points the best for you. And I’ll add that there’s nothing wrong with a good Smith and Wesson model 66.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/24/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by SDblackhills

• Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

Get something that has been adopted and retained by a major LE or .mil org. That will cut this list in half.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd rather have a rifle, like an AR15, over any pistol.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strictly home defense... AR15, Remington 870 in 12 or 20 gauge, M&P 2.0 9/40/45.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SDblackhills
I have a kiddo now and the feeling of fatherly responsibility is weighing heavy on me.... I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I currently own a little Ruger single action .22 revolver. Working on becoming a dead eye shot with it. I have never owned a centerfire handgun. I have been considering buying a revolver such as a GP-100 or S&W 66 (or something similar that is used). I think I would like owning one and enjoy shooting it. I also like the simplicity of them (I know they are mechanically complex under the hood but you know what I mean). I like that I could press it up against a mountain lion's chest as it gnaws at me and just keep pulling the trigger until I run out of ammo.

But since this is supposed to be more than a range toy or hunting weapon, I am thinking I might want to avail myself of 100+ years of shooting technology and get a semi-auto. I am specifically thinking a polymer framed pistol, which will also save me some money compared to a quality revolver.

Glocks seem cool and I have no desire to be different or special, but I have heard from many that there are plenty of good options now in terms of polymer framed pistols. Since availability is spotty these days, I'm trying to come up with several potential choices.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it). Hopefully I can get a chance to handle or even shoot some of these in person before too long.

Get one of each, a pre-lock S&W in anything from .38 Special up to .45 Colt, in anything from K to N frame. Then get yourself a Glock 19.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The order you listed them in is the same as I would do.

Most of my pistols are Glock. But I really like the XD’s

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Also look at the H&K VP9, SIG P320 and the CZ P10 series.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hellcat is a nice pistol as well.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

You draw to much attention when you go out to a restaurant. Handgun is a little less obvious.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

You draw to much attention when you go out to a restaurant. Handgun is a little less obvious.
Hasbeen

Plus a handgun is faster and easier to get into action

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
get an AR pistol, wear a duster, hang it under your armpit as Doc Holiday did with his twin 10 ga Colts.

Suggest 300 BO with 110 gr hollow points to avoid over penetration.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two Kimber's, an Ultra Carry 45 ACP and a Micro 9MM. The Micro 9 is a very nice gun, feels good in the hand and easy to carry/conceal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Or if you're really flush - Wilson EDC X9

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hasbeen

First sentence from the OP stated 'home defense'.

And he stated, "I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed." No mention of CCW or taking it into public.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/25/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Hasbeen

Plus a handgun is faster and easier to get into action

How so, if it's locked in a safe next to the bed as the OP stated?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I use a full size Beretta APX. Of the list that you have I would pick the Glock 17 or the Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 full size is what I would choose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a self defense expert, but see value in having a pistol and a rifle. But given that the OP's stated purpose is 'home defense' and not concealed carry, then I'd go with the rifle first. But he'll need a bigger gun safe/locker grin

I don't know of any definitive studies on cartridge effectiveness, but much of the data allows one to infer that a rifle is more effective than any common handgun cartridge. And isn't that what we're interested in, effectiveness especially with no limitation on concealment?

That said, I do think the OP should consider CCW but with the knowledge that handguns do not appear to be as effective as people think at stopping a threat, if we believe the data from actual shootings.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,081
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.