Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Remsen
I keep my GP 100 ready next to the bed for home defense. It's hard to beat the versatility of the .357 mag/.38 combo for training and use and if you run out of ammo, the GP 100 makes a damn good blunt force weapon.
I've had the exact same bedside gun myself. I like the 686 better, but the GP100 is a fine gun. Right now I've got a model 28 next to my bed at one place and a S&W Governor loaded with 45 ACP at the other.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks everyone - I have a lot to think about.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put a light on your handgun so you can ID your target before firing. Got to make sure your not shooting your daughter or her boyfriend.

[Linked Image from ]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As others here have said already (100% correctly) If you are only thinking about home defense and not intending to carry, a long arm is FAR better.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I do have a shotgun in my home. A Mossberg 500 field security combo that I keep with the 18 inch barrel most of the time. I am thinking that I ought to get a handgun that will be suitable for concealed carry as well - the Glock 19 seems to be an obvious candidate, along with the S&W Shield - although I have never shot such a small gun and am curious how much harder a smaller gun is to shoot well than a full size hadngun. The new Ruger Max-9 is interesting but it is new, and I might as well go with something well-established.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SDblackhills
I do have a shotgun in my home. A Mossberg 500 field security combo that I keep with the 18 inch barrel most of the time. I am thinking that I ought to get a handgun that will be suitable for concealed carry as well - the Glock 19 seems to be an obvious candidate, along with the S&W Shield - although I have never shot such a small gun and am curious how much harder a smaller gun is to shoot well than a full size hadngun. The new Ruger Max-9 is interesting but it is new, and I might as well go with something well-established.

A 19 Gen 5 is a great choice. As would be the new Shield Plus.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a regular Shield and swapped it in on the Shield Plus, great decision on my part.
Others may disagree with me but I think the Shield shoots way out of its size range, more like a mid size than a small

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pullit
I had a regular Shield and swapped it in on the Shield Plus, great decision on my part.
Others may disagree with me but I think the Shield shoots way out of its size range, more like a mid size than a small

I agree, particularly with the 13 round mag installed. That ability to get my pinky fully on the grip improves my scores noticeably. Would be nice if you could actually buy them. I only have the one that came with mine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
me to, I have been looking high and low,
I have even though about buying another one just for the mag, putting my 10 round with it and selling the new one as CA compliant

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

A 19 Gen 5 is a great choice. As would be the new Shield Plus.

Why still buy something designed in 1980s and $40 aftermarket magazines? All one ends up doing is wasting time and money on new sights and components to improve it. Might as well get Steyr A2. Modern design that comes with additional safety feature meaning bedside lockbox is not even necessary. The only revolver I would consider for HD would be S&W R8.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Trouble with magnum revolvers is loudness, especially indoors and without muffs. You can get permanent hearing damage from shooting one of those bad boys under those circumstances.

A LGS sells Glock barrels in 9mm and .45 that are threaded for the suppressors they sell. Quiet guns are easier to shoot well, due to the lower perceived recoil. Just a thought.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Two of my friends really like the Shield. One is a lawyer who never owned a gun before; she used a rented Shield in class on the advice of the instructor, and bought one as a graduation gift to herself. The other is a retired Marine who bought one for his wife and liked it so much he went back for another.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Or, you might go retro and buy yourself a nice 1911A1, and experience how the original tilt-locking barrel pistol started it all.

It must be a pretty good design since everyone copied the system (even Glock), and since they are still being made by everyone and his dog after 110 years.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Trouble with magnum revolvers is loudness, especially indoors and without muffs. You can get permanent hearing damage from shooting one of those bad boys under those circumstances.

A LGS sells Glock barrels in 9mm and .45 that are threaded for the suppressors they sell. Quiet guns are easier to shoot well, due to the lower perceived recoil. Just a thought.

If you aren't wearing muffs indoors or out to shoot, then you WILL damage your hearing, whether .22 LR or .44 magnum.

(Ask me how I know)

You may not notice it now, but you will when you get older. Guaranteed.

But, a magnum revolver isn't any problem with hearing protection.

Also, with proper hearing protection every gun is a quiet gun.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by saddlegun

If you aren't wearing muffs indoors or out to shoot, then you WILL damage your hearing, whether .22 LR or .44 magnum.

(Ask me how I know)

You may not notice it now, but you will when you get older. Guaranteed.

But, a magnum revolver isn't any problem with hearing protection.

Also, with proper hearing protection every gun is a quiet gun.

I think he's referring to a self-defense shooting indoors rather than indoor range practice shooting.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Suppressors is a whole other thing I hadn't considered. I don't have suppressor money in my budget right now but that seems like a huge potential benefit for a home defense scenario.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Suppressors is a whole other thing I hadn't considered. I don't have suppressor money in my budget right now but that seems like a huge potential benefit for a home defense scenario.

In most countries, to include most if not all European countries, suppressors are an inexpensive, over the counter, accessory. Their purpose is understood to be hearing protection and the reduction of environmental noise pollution. So essentially every nation on earth has a common sense approach to them, other than the United States, the land of the free, where they are treated rather like bundles of heroin by our government.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Glock 19 is never a bad choice; after the end of the world they’ll be keeping the rats & cockroaches well armed. Learn to utilize that weapon and you’ll be all set for any and all needs a handgun fills.

M&P has high praise from credible voices.

I avoid Springfield Armory for political reasons.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
To update everyone - I bought a Beretta APX Centurion today. Got it for under $400 at Scheels. Also found 150 rounds of 9mm between Scheels and Fleet Farm, so I'm all set to go see what this thing can do tomorrow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To update everyone - I bought a Beretta APX Centurion today. Got it for under $400 at Scheels. Also found 150 rounds of 9mm between Scheels and Fleet Farm, so I'm all set to go see what this thing can do tomorrow.
Good choice. Congrats.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 20 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.