Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I spent most the summers in the 1990’s sand fighting, hoeing and spraying Johnson grass. Roundup ready cotton changed some of that, but a lot of the weeds have developed a resistance and they are back to hoeing again.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ledvm
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Brazos
Yup. late 60s. Fisher County.

Fisher County, TX ???

Not too far from the Ranch, as the crow flies.

I’ve ate at the DQ there quiet a bit. It’s one of the good ones. 🤠

Rotan, TX

My maternal great grandfathers both farmed near.

One had a dry goods store in town and a lumberyard. HL Davis & Sons

Farm was near McCaulley, "Ranch" about halfway between Rotan and Hamlin.

Still own a piece of the ranch, planning to build a cabin there soon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ledvm
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Yup. late 60s. Fisher County.

Fisher County, TX ???

Not too far from the Ranch, as the crow flies.

I’ve ate at the DQ there quiet a bit. It’s one of the good ones. 🤠

Rotan, TX

My maternal great grandfathers both farmed near.

One had a dry goods store in town and a lumberyard. HL Davis & Sons

Farm was near McCaulley, "Ranch" about halfway between Rotan and Hamlin.

Still own a piece of the ranch, planning to build a cabin there soon.

I remember you telling me that in another thread, now.
Our Ranch is not too far north of Hamlin.
Old Glory area.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered. I have never really known what "chopping" cotton means. Help please.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a little. My dad made me do it and also pick a little cotton in Roswell New Mexico. He did it just to show me and my younger brother what it was like. What I did chop a lot off was a 10 acre irrigated patch of Chiles we had the last year (1974) we lived there.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered. I have never really known what "chopping" cotton means. Help please.

Weeding the cotton with a hoe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ERK
You guys are all liars. Nobody ever had to pick cotton but black slaves. You white boys just drove around in fancy cars and drank beer. Entitled!

One of my Dad's favorite sayings is: "I was picking cotton with the rest of the Naggers"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Thanks.
Sounds a lot like "walking beans" up here - for us it was mostly pulling weeds, but sometimes we used hoes, hooks, or corn knives. (Still have the scar on my left index finger from careless use of the last.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was a little bitty baby.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ERK
You guys are all liars. Nobody ever had to pick cotton but black slaves. You white boys just drove around in fancy cars and drank beer. Entitled!

One of my Dad's favorite sayings is: "I was picking cotton with the rest of the Naggers"

LOL

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks.
Sounds a lot like "walking beans" up here - for us it was mostly pulling weeds, but sometimes we used hoes, hooks, or corn knives. (Still have the scar on my left index finger from careless use of the last.)

No.....

Chopping cotton and hoeing cotton are two different things. Chopping cotton is done first.... that is when you thin the plants. Hoeing cotton is getting the weeds out. You only chop cotton once, but you usually had to hoe the cotton at least twice and sometimes 3 times. Picked cotton by hand, too.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you want to see some true Civil Engineering work, drive up Hwy 70 from Sweetwater to Snyder right at cotton planting time and see how those farmers have cultivated the hills.

Dirt art.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Lots of kin out there. Rule to Rochester. I’ve played a lot of dances and parties at Sons of Hermann in Old Glory.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I walked beans—picked rocks—blocked beets and detasseled corn. Scraped my share of scalded hogs also.
When I came to Canada spent some time planting black Spruce—overhauling whitefish nets and filleting perch.
Skinned and processed 150 to 160 moose most years—with not a lot of help. My wife would wrap sometimes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

To restate what was said earlier: Chopping cotton is done the first time you are in the field. There was a continuous row of cotton and you needed only 2 to 3 plants every 6 inches or so. (about the width of a hoe). So, you would chop out the excess plants and any weeds that were there. Pull dirt up around the stems to make them stand tall. When you were not doing it for family, pay was 50 cents an hour. A days work would buy a nice shirt for school. Only way we had to pay for clothes when I grew up.

After chopping cotton, you might hoe it another 2 or 3 times before it was laid by (plowed with dirt thrown up around the bottom stems) until harvest. We would on average, wear out a hoe each per year. It would be sharpened before starting in the morning and again at lunch. Sharpening was my job too. Guess I got pretty good at it. Had a community garden in Atlanta in my 20's and the city folks would come just to watch me hoe. They could not do anything with a hoe and I never had to bend down to remove weeds, etc....

In the fall, school would close for a 6 week, "cotton picking vacation". Yeah, some vacation. Saw a LOT of cotton hand picked but 200 pounds per day was considered excellent. Most folks did 150 or so. Picked in either a 6 foot or 7 1/2 foot bag. 7 1/2 foot bag, packed full would weigh around 40 to 50 pounds. Took 800 or so pounds to make a bale. Pay was 2 to 3 cents per pound. I got paid a little extra for weighing everyone's cotton and then taking it to the gin. When the bolls got rotten (as stated in the song) it was very difficult to pick. BUT, you could pull the bolls, with the cotton still inside. Not preferred, as the farmer got paid less but allowed you to harvest it later in the season. Weights here would be higher but it was the devil on your hands, even with gloves.

So yeah. I have chopped cotton. Taught me the value of hard work. It also taught me that I never wanted to be a farmer.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Thanks.

No.....

Chopping cotton and hoeing cotton are two different things. Chopping cotton is done first.... that is when you thin the plants. Hoeing cotton is getting the weeds out. You only chop cotton once, but you usually had to hoe the cotton at least twice and sometimes 3 times. Picked cotton by hand, too.

I stand corrected, just shows you how much I did. We had to do the same thinning with chile peppers also. I remember trying to get the roots from Johnson grass was tough. The roots were like cancer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Lots of kin out there. Rule to Rochester. I’ve played a lot of dances and parties at Sons of Hermann in Old Glory.

Not much left of Old Glory and Sagerton. At least Rule has a Convenience Store. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also irrigated cotton, alfalfa and chile peppers. The cotton and chile peppers required a bent metal pipe to siphon the water from the irrigation ditch to the row. The alfalfa you used a tarp or big metal stop like a giant fat cleaver to stop the water and dig a opening to allow the water to flood the field. you stared on the high side and worked you way lower increments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hoed cotton and picked backer early on.

Lesson learned!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MPat70
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I never picked cotton
But my mother did and my brother did
And my sister did and my daddy died young
Workin' in the coal mine

(Actually it was my grandmother did and her brother did growing up in Arkansas)

😂😂😂😂 Good ole Johnny. He will never be matched.
Momma would rock me in the cradle in the old cotton fields down home!

Roy Clark went by Johnny?

MAGA
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 52 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,696
Posts18,475,180
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.