Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
My cousin by marriage runs a business out of SE Idaho (Rexburg area) where you can go and pick a trophy bull out of his private herd down in the valley, and he will cart it up into the mountains onto some private forest land, where you can then "hunt" it. I can get anyone interested prices and other info.
Do they remove the required ear tag before you shoot it? The hole in the ear should be a giveaway.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Originally Posted by EdM
I'd feel like I had not researched the outfit as well as I should have or spoken with a number of references, both successful and not.

You are exactly right! I should have done more.

How do you go about speaking to references that did not kill an elk? The references come from the outfitter and I assumed they would all be positive.

Like on a resume.....why would you give a reference that would be negative?

Dunno if someone mighta already said it.
Maybe ask on here about good ones people have been with....

Just saying.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My cousin by marriage runs a business out of SE Idaho (Rexburg area) where you can go and pick a trophy bull out of his private herd down in the valley, and he will cart it up into the mountains onto some private forest land, where you can then "hunt" it. I can get anyone interested prices and other info.
Do they remove the required ear tag before you shoot it? The hole in the ear should be a giveaway.

Giveaway for what? YOU PICK OUT THE BULL IN THE HERD IN A HIGH FENCE AREA FIRST.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

It sounds like an honest operation (in Idaho, not New Mexico).....just cheesy as hell. No need to "hide" the ear tag or even the hole in the ear, as the client knows it is not a wild bull, because he picked it out of a corral earlier.
The tags I have seen are nothing more than livestock ear tags, which have a pin hole punched through the ear. You'd generally not notice it unless you parted the hair actually looking for it.

I worked on a high fence elk ranch in central Idaho for a season. It was fun, but the clients were pathetic. There was zero difference between killing those elk and killing a black angus out in the timber. It was their money though, so I had no issues with it. I actually enjoyed working there.

Last edited by T_Inman; 11/11/20. Reason: clarification of which operation I am referring to

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
How would you feel if....

You went on a 5 day guided elk hunt and the first two days were with a guide that had[/b]NEVER[b] set foot on any of the land you were hunting?

More information to share at a later date.,,,

I’d feel like I better walk my ass off on day three to locate some elk, and hope the guy that’s following me around can carry a heavy pack.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

May as well buy a few cryo packs of beef and a set of antlers off of eBay at that point. IMHO.

Yup.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by AKduck

May as well buy a few cryo packs of beef and a set of antlers off of eBay at that point. IMHO.

But then you didn't take your 338-378 out and knock an elk down with it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 805
I’d feel like I hired someone who was unprepared and probably have some words with the guide/outfitter about the situation.

This is what I did. My normal guide had to leave mid hunt (wife having their first child). Outfitter gave me a beginner guide, not much experience in either elk hunting or the area. After one day, I had a conversation with the outfitter (it wasn't my first hunt with his outfit). Had a great guide for the rest of the trip.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd hate to hire a guide. I sure don't mind guiding my buddies to good blacktails but no way could I hire a guy to take me to game. It would just seem weird to me.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd hate to hire a guide.

Think of the poor guide.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by dale06
I’d be thoroughly pissed. If I’m paying for a guided hunt, I expect that the guide know the land and have a plan on how to get me a shot at the animal we are pursuing. I know that that does not guarantee a shot, but I’m paying for a guide to improve the odds of a shot. Not knowing the property we are hunting is unacceptable.

This would be my first reaction, but like was mentioned, if the guide could get me a shot, then that would change my mind. I would want someone familiar with the area at the very least. I generally don't use a guide and scout the area on my own, but the question was in regard to a guided hunt. .

NRA Endowment Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it was on a property that actually had elk on it, and the guide knew how to hunt elk it wouldn’t be a problem. They aren’t hard to kill for those who understand them.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some friends of mine and me paid for a drop camp in the Flattops Wilderness in Colorado. I noticed on the way to camp we were passing up allot of fresh elk sign. The camp was high enough the elk had already started down and if we would have been hunting on our own we'd have taken that elk sign into consideration and camped where we could have hunted that area. As is was we had a camping trip in an awful camp, tent was rotted and had a hole in the roof big enough to throw a cot through. The outfitter left as soon as we paid him, in advance. My point is that if you hire someone you give up quite a bit of control over the hunt. I'd rather be on my own.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
There are good and bad outfitters.
Demand references and call them all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn’t care if a guide took me to an area he or she had never hunted but they better damn sure show me why we are there. Can’t forget that most guides love to get a nice bull too & share those photos of success. Have faith until other factors come into play. If you’re on the move, in search of viable country, that’s a good thing. I’ve killed several bulls in areas that others weren’t killing or seeing anything (Bitterroots). To me, it’s all about knowing the animal and observing the tiny, tiny details.

My .02

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 160user, 64 invisible), 15,960 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,152
Posts18,542,722
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.