Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rented a rav4 for a week. At a stop if you let off the brake slightly the whole vehichle would jolt on the re start. First time it happened thought it was a rear end collision. Bad enough that it startled me several times over the week. What bull shidt...

Got to be hard on engine, drive train, etcc what nonsense.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Most of those vehicles can have the feature disabled. Do a youtube search and it should be there.

That is what I did on my 2017 F 150. It was easy to do and works perfectly.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Haven't bought a vehicle in about 7 years. Every single one of them these days seems to have this "feature". Whenever you come to a complete stop at a light with your foot on the brake, it turns the dang engine off and waits for you to start pulling your foot off the brake. Then it starts the engine again. WTF over. Yet another incredibly asinine idea, thanks to the green idiots out there.

I sold my 1999 F150 2 years ago and bought a used 2015 with this feature. There was a button I could push every time I started the truck that would stop that for as long as the engine was running for that time.

However, I just might have a tech savy boy with a laptop and an OPD reader that was able to disconnect that nuisance FOREVER!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure I understand the dislike of the system. In every car I've driven with that system, the engine starts instantly while moving my foot from brake to gas pedal. It is essentially no different than if the engine had stayed running. At all. Move foot - go.

As far as adding wear, I doubt that can be computed over the life of the engine. Today's engines are good for 300,000 miles at least. If start/stop adds wear, will you get only 280,000?

Yes, it may be of zero help with the climate, but the whole man-caused climate change idea is probably false to begin with. So the only effect is to save you a few drops of gas at each stop. That's not a bad thing, is it? Maybe it's only a gallon a month, but with all the cars out there, that's a shipload of gas.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'm not sure I understand the dislike of the system. In every car I've driven with that system, the engine starts instantly while moving my foot from brake to gas pedal. It is essentially no different than if the engine had stayed running. At all. Move foot - go.

As far as adding wear, I doubt that can be computed over the life of the engine. Today's engines are good for 300,000 miles at least. If start/stop adds wear, will you get only 280,000?

Yes, it may be of zero help with the climate, but the whole man-caused climate change idea is probably false to begin with. So the only effect is to save you a few drops of gas at each stop. That's not a bad thing, is it? Maybe it's only a gallon a month, but with all the cars out there, that's a shipload of gas.

I've generally heard 1/5 of a gallon an hour to idle a vehicle - obviously up/down based on size but average over all. Average 59 hours a year at red lights - so what 12 gallons of gas a year, saves you 36 bucks in fuel. I'm okay with that - especially, as you said, it's basically instant, doesn't seem to cause any mechanical issues.

Me

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Our pilot and my sierra have the feature, its the first thing we disable after we crank them. Both have a noticeable delay when cranking back up.

The stupid dfm feature is what is killing engines. After an engine has been running on 4cyl instead of 8, when the 8 starts back up, they are having issues with not enough oil in those cylinders and lifters are going bad.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

Also a bunch on Amazon for different makes/models

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd simply ignore this feature if it is a lease vehicle. However, if it is owned then I would most definitely disable this feature each and every time I'd begin driving. Rebuilt starters are expensive.

-Ken

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
I'd simply ignore this feature if it is a lease vehicle. However, if it is owned then I would most definitely disable this feature each and every time I'd begin driving. Rebuilt starters are expensive.
Agreed... The other 'feature' I disable before I drive more than 2 miles is that damned seat-belt chime.. mad But I digress - I wonder how many of these idiotic start/stop vehicles have had to replace the starters? Probably too new yet to quantify, but there's NO question that it WILL be necessary a few times before the end of its life.. All to save a bucket of gas... Stoooooopid to the max.. YMMV.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Agreed... The other 'feature' I disable before I drive more than 2 miles is that damned seat-belt chime.. mad But I digress - I wonder how many of these idiotic start/stop vehicles have had to replace the starters? Probably too new yet to quantify, but there's NO question that it WILL be necessary a few times before the end of its life.. All to save a bucket of gas... Stoooooopid to the max.. YMMV.

In my experience - zero for us. They build them rather stout when doing it.

Heck - I've not had to replace a starter in any vehicle since 1994 and that was in a 1998 chevy p/u.

I typically run my vehicles to 200k+

Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Sounds like a great plan to make the first moron at a red light delay their start by another 5 seconds and let three cars through before it’s red again.

Won't happen. I hate the feature. and my wife's car has it, but allows it to be turned off after ignition.

It's gotta wear out starter/flywheel components, but there is no delay in my wife's car. By the time your foot is fully off the brake the engine is running and ready to go. If you let three cars go by it's because you're on your phone or daydreaming.

When my wife bought her car you had to go into 3 pages of settings on the touch screen to turn it off. They must have gotten enough negative feedback that on her last service they updated the touch screen and there is now an always visible "button" to disable it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would imagine that the disable feature is intended for those times when you're stuck in traffic or just plain stuck and you need to have heat or A/C. Using it all the time is just plain silly - in my very own opinion.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My wife's 2019 Chevy truck has this...Fing hate it. I've gotten in habit of manually turning it off. I wish GM would allow you to permanently turn it off.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is why I bought a Tundra -before they screw them up too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On our Toyota Highlander, a dash button will shut it off. However, you have to punch it every time you start the car. It doesn't take long to learn to drive so it doesn't shut off. When coming to a stop, stop gently and as the car jerks back at the stop, relax your brake foot to just enough to keep it from rolling. It takes a heavier pedal to trigger the auto shutoff.
Or...Use the S mode on the gearshift. Auto shutoff only works in D.

The restart delay is very short on this one. By the time your foot moves from the brake to the throttle, it's running. Most of the time here, the stops are quite short and the gas and pollution savings aren't worth the extra wear on the starter and flywheel.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but what do you gain by turning it off?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by tomt53
My wife's 2019 Chevy truck has this...Fing hate it. I've gotten in habit of manually turning it off. I wish GM would allow you to permanently turn it off.

pulsar programmer will turn it off, it will also turn off the dfm feature

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
This is why I bought a Tundra -before they screw them up too.

Same here.

All this added technology to save the $36/year Teal calculated above. I'd rather lose the $36/year and not have to deal with the potential issues.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
" Sure, it's a stupid feature, but you can disable it." Wonderful. Just like electronic tration control, the default setting should be "off". Those that want it can turn it on. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another pointless feature that adds to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance of same.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,660
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.