What would Mitch Rompala do?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Limiting shots to 300 yards and under what bullet would you use? Any success stories or pics would be great.

I have not used one, but had my butcher grinning at me with a bullet [pellet] he found in the shoulder of a big old ancient 7x7 NM bull i shot at 511 yards, took the pellet home and miked it, exactly .243 on the base, the little bullet gave all it had, but wasn't enough in this case.

I had my Sharps rifle on this hunt, the sun was setting in my right eye, i simply couldn't get rid of the glare to make the shot, i asked my guide for his rifle, a 7mm STW built by our old Buddy EddyBo, he also invited me along on that hunt, i spun a few mils and killed the bull with one shot, the 160gr Accubond numbed him up enough he did the chubby checker twist for 90 degrees and fell off in a rock ledge. grin

Gunner, would you have stayed home from hunting elk if all you had was a 243 and a great shooting load?

And I will say I wouldn’t. I’d just pay more attention to what angle the old bulls standing at I guess.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, i'd use my old load with the 100gr Partitions at 3000 fps and get as close as i could and try to get a shoulder on the way in or out, i would not have shot that old bull at 511 yards with the 243 Partiton load though, to far and too much wind for the little stubber of a bullet.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
No, i'd use my old load with the 100gr Partitions at 3000 fps and get as close as i could and try to get a shoulder on the way in or out, i would not have shot that old bull at 511 yards with the 243 Partiton load though, to far and too much wind for the little stubber of a bullet.

I knew your answer big buddy, before you typed it. Same thoughts here.

Old timers did it with atlatls, stick bows, muskets, etc. I’m pretty sure we could make do.

Last edited by beretzs; 06/03/21.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, if not for the sun i'd have sent 500 grains of lead powered by Holy Black! ; ]

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That would’ve been epic as hell Gunner.

One day.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
That would’ve been epic as hell Gunner.

One day.

You bet Buddy. cool

Trump Won!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do you enjoy the feeling of stepping on your dick?

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
You have never shot an elk with a 243.......yet you're posting pro-243 in this thread?

You've taken elk.........but didn't chose the 243?

Sounds logical, Greenhorn. Smokepole would likely agree.

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Are you saying you have absolutely no experience......using a 243 on elk?

First dead bull elk I saw was taken with a single shot from a .243.

I have some experience on elk. How's the elk hunting in IOWA? laugh

I'd be grumpy too i guess.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Have we determined WAM was just regurgitating his breakfast.......with this post?

Surely it was a healthy meal.

Originally Posted by WAM
The bullsheit alarm soundeth….

Mikey, you’re as full of sheit as a barnyard turkey, just talking to hear your head roar. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In a perfect world there are many small caliber cartridges that will kill an elk. I will bet that even a 22 long rifle (undoubtedly the favorite of many here) will get the job done. If one has perfect conditions, presentation and the right shooter, its a slam dunk. But in reality that does not always happen and when it fails it's a lost animal. Many here have already posted that they have seen lots of elk lost too much larger and more powerful cartridges,. Thats true, but exponentially more elk hunters use a more powerful cartridge, hence lost game. Its' going to happen sooner or later. I have done it and so have my partners, but that still does not make the .243 a great elk cartridge. It's not, it is adequate in some instances but inadequate in far more. I once lost a deer shot at point blank range with a 45 caliber pistol, both shots hit well, but the buck managed to get up enough adrenaline and get away from me. Poor tracking conditions, hindered the recovery. If I had shot the same animal with my 45-70, (which I also had with me), it would have been DRT. I have a limited sampling of over 200 elk killed by myself and three others of my partners in 4 states and over 50 years. All with a 30;06 or greater. My best recollection is that 7 or 8 have been lost. Not because of bad shooting, but primarily because of conditions, which limited the retrieval.

Last edited by elkmen1; 06/03/21.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Some of you guys must think hunting with arrows and roundballs is just completely moronic.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
/greenhorn, having killed a couple of elk with traditional MZ, and several deer with a bow, I have yet to take a shot over 40 yards. An entirely different discussion.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by elkmen1
/greenhorn, having killed a couple of elk with traditional MZ, and several deer with a bow, I have yet to take a shot over 40 yards. An entirely different discussion.

Is it? If a guy knows when to not shoot? How is that an elk isn't something a .243 can't make good on every time with ease in the right hands? Bow hunters have to know they have a limit - so why is a .243 center fire a bad choice when 100% of bow hunters/blackpowder hunters are going out with a weapon FAR less effective?

I’ve hunted elk way more than most. Regardless of that, it does not take a rocket scientist to know that a .243 is absolutely lethal, more so than ANY arrow or roundball. Yet dumb fuchs will argue about calibers on the internet all day long.. and this guy from IOWA .. hilarious.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
OK I read through 10 pages of this back and forth and I couldn't take it anymore. It reminded me of a tennis game going back and forth.. Only it ended up 1 against what, 10? I've never been elk hunting so I'm no expert. As far as I'm concerned if you can do it legally and ethically use a 17 Remington if you want. As for me, ifn I ever get a chance to go for an elk I'm probably going to use something bigger like my .270 or one of my .30-06s or maybe God forbid, my 7 Mag or my .300 WBY.. But I'm a neanderthal and I go by the theory that if little was equal to big they would have put .22s on battleships. But that's just me. I'm not getting into this pissing contest because I have never been elk hunting and though I think a .243 is a little on the light side, I can't in good faith argue with people who have been there-done that.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/04/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 444Matt
[i]Limiting shots to 300 yards and under[/i] what bullet would you use? Any success stories or pics would be great.

Shouldn’t be an issue, per the above parameters, and assuming you’re not a elk fevered mess behind the scope.

Mike loves to stir a big pot of shît.

Fun read....Thanks !

🦫

PS

SLM, might, allegedly, wear pink boots and a leopard thong under his Wranglers, but he can and does kill nice elk.

😝

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Does WAM also have a Queer Alarm?

Someone should tell him to change his batteries.

What would Mitch Rompala do?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There you go.........talking logically.

10 against 1 ain't hardly fair, is it?

They really should send for reinforcements. Smarter ones.

Originally Posted by Filaman
OK I read through 10 pages of this back and forth and I couldn't take it anymore. It reminded me of a tennis game going back and forth.. Only it ended up 1 against what, 10? I've never been elk hunting so I'm no expert. As far as I'm concerned if you can do it legally and ethically use a 17 Remington if you want. As for me, ifn I ever get a chance to go for an elk I'm probably going to use something bigger like my .270 or one of my .30-06s or maybe God forbid, my 7 Mag or my .300 WBY.. But I'm a neanderthal and I go by the theory that if little was equal to big they would have put .22s on battleships. But that's just me. I'm not getting into this pissing contest because I have never been elk hunting and though I think a .243 is a little on the light side, I can't in good faith argue with people who have been there-done that.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yea.......that is very obvious.

TFF

LOL

I’ve hunted elk way more than most.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just cite one example.....

There is plenty of text to choose from......wouldn't you agree?

Originally Posted by WAM

Mikey, you’re as full of sheit as a barnyard turkey, just talking to hear your head roar. Happy Trails

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gotta give SLM credit........he bites a mean ankle.

Originally Posted by Beaver10

SLM, might, allegedly, wear pink boots and a leopard thong under his Wranglers, but he can and does kill nice elk.

Page 13 of 30 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 28 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,889
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.