Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 30 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 29 30
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
To all the “I choose to shoot elk with a 243” crowd.......

You all know you’re the Ned Beatty of the canoe trip.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Golly, Beav.

RIO7 told me it was because I was angry.

Originally Posted by Beaver10

Mike loves to stir a big pot of shît.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Filaman
I can't in good faith argue with people who have been there-done that.

Of course not, you ain't mikewiener......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are we shooting elk, or freezer burnt rabbits?

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Filaman
I can't in good faith argue with people who have been there-done that.

Of course not, you ain't mikewiener......

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Might?

Where the hell did you see the pics?

Originally Posted by Beaver10

SLM, might, allegedly, wear pink boots and a leopard thong under his Wranglers, but he can and does kill nice elk.

😝

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
But there is no way in hell I’m wearing shiny brown dress shoes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why not give WAM some more.....for his detector?

We did the annual Wyoming varmint/shed hunt in early April instead of May. #4 son insisted on getting an early advantage. #5 son came along.........as did the luckiest woman to ever walk the planet.

We pulled the little Casita out and stayed at the free campground in Douglas. Little wire elk out in front of the shower house.

Early April.......Horseshoe Creek area was very snowed in.........as was Fetterman road.

Win some, lose some.

Packed up rifles and headed up north to Thunder Basin.........another trophy Elk zone. There are prairie dogs there too.....if you know where they are.

Found many sheds up there(deer and elk).....but few were this year's. Brett found a decent fresh 6 point set. Found many broken-off points up there. Those big bulls are scrappers.

Found a couple carcasses........probably expert 243 shooters.

Most all the bull elk we saw still had their horns. Sorry experts, antlers.

Shot just a few prairie dogs.

We normally fish Toltec one day.......but Fetterman being closed jacked that. Could have came in from the South, but a long drive around.

Overall......given our goals for the trip.....we chose unwisely. Snow and most elk still carrying horns.

Brett claimed he won the competition for daily mileage.....Little less than 20 miles. I didn't wear the watch, so I walked farther. It was a vacation, why go nuts?

There are no date restrictions for shed hunting there......like there is on the west side. Rest assured, experts.

We drew zone 7 cows tags....starts August 15th for rifle, on private land......through December 31st.

We plan to do labor day week, archery. Mid October for the rifle opener.......late November......and December (late last year, got the Covid).

Plenty for WAM's detector.

We have pictures of all the sheds.......if any expert would like to provide an email address or cell phone number.

Between Iowa and Wyoming, Brett found over 100 sheds this spring (not all on my properties). Found (and left) 3 Iowa trophy skullplates too.......darn expert hunters. They're everywhere.

They probably didn't die of a rifle shot.......scenarshooter says rifles are illegal for deer in Iowa.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
And still nothing to make your opinion of shooting elk with a .243 worth a dam.

Keep it up, you’re doing great.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
In the hands of an expert....

This non-expert's hands are wrapping gauze around his ankles.

Originally Posted by SLM
And still nothing to make your opinion of shooting elk with a .243 worth a dam.

Keep it up, you’re doing great.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now THAT is some seriously funny stuff right there! Chronicles of a private land cow elk hunter and his man boy.

And THIS HERE continues to be funny as well... carry on Mike Weiner.

Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

We did the annual Wyoming varmint/shed hunt in early April instead of May. #4 son insisted on getting an early advantage. #5 son came along.........as did the luckiest woman to ever walk the planet.

We pulled the little Casita out and stayed at the free campground in Douglas. Little wire elk out in front of the shower house.

Early April.......Horseshoe Creek area was very snowed in.........as was Fetterman road.

Win some, lose some.

Packed up rifles and headed up north to Thunder Basin.........another trophy Elk zone. There are prairie dogs there too.....if you know where they are.

Found many sheds up there(deer and elk).....but few were this year's. Brett found a decent fresh 6 point set. Found many broken-off points up there. Those big bulls are scrappers.

We normally fish Toltec one day.......but Fetterman being closed jacked that. Could have came in from the South, but a long drive around.

Overall......given our goals for the trip.....we chose unwisely. Snow and most elk still carrying horns.

Brett claimed he won the competition for daily mileage.....Little less than 20 miles. I didn't wear the watch, so I walked farther. It was a vacation, why go nuts?

There are no date restrictions for shed hunting there......like there is on the west side. Rest assured, experts.

We drew zone 7 cows tags....starts August 15th for rifle, on private land......through December 31st.

We plan to do labor day week, archery. Mid October for the rifle opener.......late November......and December (late last year, got the Covid).

We have pictures of all the sheds.......if any expert would like to provide an email address or cell phone number.

Between Iowa and Wyoming, Brett found over 100 sheds this spring (not all on my properties). Found (and left) 3 Iowa trophy skullplates too.......darn expert hunters. They're everywhere.

They probably didn't die of a rifle shot.......scenarshooter says rifles are illegal for deer in Iowa.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is WAM's Gay Alarm going off yet?

You married, Greenhorn? To a woman?

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Now THAT is some seriously funny stuff right there! Chronicles of a private land cow elk hunter and his man boy.

Win some, lose some.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We hunt public, walk-in areas, and HMA's.

Surely you know all about them.

YOU'VE HUNTED MORE THAN MOST!

TFF

LOL

Win some, lose some.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’d hate Mitch Rompola too had he fathered my children. Very sorry Weiner.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Are you married, Greenhorn? Simple yes or no should suffice.

If you're not.......scenarshooter should be worried.

It's seems so much more than fanboy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So.......he never posts his pics on the forums?

Go figure......

Originally Posted by SKane
I have no desire to post pics.

scenarshooter craves praise.

Well, Pat is one of the most humble human beings on the planet.

So, again – your awareness sucks as bad as your disposition.

This is telling right here Mike, whether you realize it or not. Most people on here wish Pat would post more pics and in fact he posts a fraction of what he could. Most don't begrudge him for the success represented in those pics.

How are those sour grapes tasting?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

We can all agree to disagree here but you're simply out-driving your headlights.

What headlights?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
LOL

Thank you.

I've seen plenty of headlights.......on guys my age.

How old is WAM?

Originally Posted by smokepole

We can all agree to disagree here but you're simply out-driving your headlights.

What headlights?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hate to break up the love-fest here...and I don't get on this board much anymore for just this reason.

A handful of actual elk hunters surrounded by a whole bunch of dumbchits that give advice on caliber choices for elk that have shot one or two their whole life.

I guess maybe this elk my 13 year old nephew shot last fall in Montana, at 362 yards with my late grandfathers .243 and a 100 grain nosler solid base...apparently died of fright, as according to MIKEWERNER, a .243 just won't cut it. Guess neither the dead elk or my nephew got the memo...

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Bullet hit just in front of the near shoulder, busted a rib on the exit side about 4 inches behind the off shoulder on its way out. Blood trail was great, took this picture about 5 yards from where he hit it:

About 60 yards later:

I put a new barrel on my 6mm Rem. a couple years ago and shot this elk at about 130 yards with a 95 grain ballistic tip...(shot 3 elk with it before the new barrel as well, all with 100 grain solid base). I'm going to start using this rifle as my go-to for cow elk, tired of shooting that hard kicking 7-08 I've been killing elk with the last 10 years or so.

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/04/21.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Where is Greenhorn?

Are you married, Greenhorn? Simple yes or no should suffice.

If you're not.......scenarshooter should be worried.

It's seems so much more than fanboy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Got a lot of trains in those parts?

BuzzH:
......apparently died of freight

Seriously......good pics, Buzz.

Page 14 of 30 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.