Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And one last stop before heading back to the house.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stubs is looking a smidge rough...You two partied hard !

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well Stubbs and I enjoyed the holiday weekend and his final night in Utah. He is headed to Wyoming right now.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Where is gophergunner, haven't seen him around lately. Last I heard he moved to the Brainerd lakes area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Well Stubbs and I enjoyed the holiday weekend and his final night in Utah. He is headed to Wyoming right now.

Yours will be a tough act to follow, but I'll try!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Yours will be a tough act to follow, but I'll try!

No worry's it's all in good fun!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So happy to see Stubbs livin' the high life. Beer, whiskey, and Red Bull and ammo around the fire before getting in the box for another journey!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am just dropping a short note to say that Stubbs made it to Wyoming courtesy of crittrgttr. He is heading to the woods shortly, but I wanted to give him a proper welcome.

I did a quick side trip to the state capitol. We didn't have time to try to see the governor.

I did feel sorry for Stubbs. It almost looked like someone had fired black powder through him before the amputation. That even offended my lax sensibilities in the gun hygiene department.

More to follow over the next few days.

Take care all!

Last edited by Cheyenne; 06/04/21.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Great start to the Wyoming trip!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't make a Wyoming windsock outa poor stubbs!

LOL
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chalk up another State for the Stubbster!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍👍👍👍👍

GG approves this thread.😆😆😆😆😆😆

Stubbs bore is pretty f u c k ed up.

Seen that schitt..
LOL!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I had the pleasure of hosting Mr. Stubbs for a weekend at our modest cabin in the Medicine Bow National Forest. The forest had suffered a 175,000 acre fire last year on top of a 30,000 acre fire in 2018. Due to a forest lockout that was not lifted until the snow started falling last year and the snowpack that only receded in the last couple of weeks, we all were going to be seeing some damage for the first time.

Mr. Stubbs was an amiable but quiet fellow. He has travelled quite extensively for a stub of a shotgun barrel. He said that he really enjoyed Hawaii. He said something about bad pizza. He recently arrived from Utah, where he said that he considered identifying as a muffler or a corset.

After resting up on Friday night, we showed Mr. Stubbs around the cabin. We were not sure what we would see in our adventure, so we started with some of the easier stuff to show him. Here is a picture of the cabin, although it was taken on Sunday. It was the site of a 2010 Campfire event, which was attended by some esteemed members.

The photo came out at a Dutch angle, but it seemed to fit Stubbs.

We did have a muley doe in the woods to the east side of the cabin. While Mr. Stubbs did see it, it was too obscure in the picture, so I have not posted it.

Cabin Squatch is supposed to guard the place when we are not around. We have to consider a replacement. Squatch proudly showed Mr. Stubbs the reminder of the moose that dropped by and dissed him in April of this year.

Squatch also was within spitting distance of a black bear that dissed him last September. We showed Mr. Stubbs the remains of the bear’s deposit, along with a photo of the same droppings when they were fresh.

Although there remained 2 days left in black bear season, and there were reports of bird feeder and garbage raider bears in the vicinity, we never saw one in the flesh. So, it is up to some Campfire Davy Crocketts to do better than these two cruddy photos. At least Mr. Stubbs may have seen something new.

Stubbs thought he could do a better job than Squatch. (I believe that the bar is rather low.) Stubbs said that he once fought a duel with a lobster who had impugned his honor. He said that he fitted himself to a prosthetic mechanical lobster and bashed the other lobster’s brains out.

More to follow.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like stubbs is quite enjoying himself!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We headed out to check on the fire damage. There were some reports of a mosaic burn and some indicating that places looked like the lunar surface.

While we were en route, Stubbs spotted a languishing snow pile barely clinging to life and insisted on making a snow angel. He said the snow reminded him of frolicking in the snow with his parents a few months ago. He was melancholy at first, but the snow revived him.

We usually enjoy heading to an old mining development near Douglas Creek and Lake Creek. Here is a boarding house site as it appeared this weekend.

Here is what it looked like until last year.

We took the road through the old mining town of Keystone. We and Mr. Stubbs were saddened to see Douglas Creek meandering through the burn scar. Any rain is going to produce a lot of muddy runoff. There are a lot of small, private mining claims along the river. It is going to be sporty hunting that area when the grass returns and the wind starts blowing down all of those trees.

Back at the cabin, Mr. Stubbs wanted to lounge about my wife’s gorgeous tulips and daffodils.

I am sure some of you pervs were thinking something different. Sorry to disappoint you.

We brought out our cabin shotgun, Rossi, who also has an MSW in firearm therapy. He visited with Mr. Stubbs and explained that even the lowliest, plastic-stocked example of the shotgun maker’s art can work as well as the finest heirloom. In fact, Rossi is a grouse killing machine. We broke out a bottle of barrel 21 of private stock Wyoming Whiskey, which was the first barrel of Wyoming Whiskey sold to the general public. The project was spearheaded by our Campfire friend eh76, and a few Campfire members were in the buying group. The barrel was put up in 2010 and the whiskey was bottled by group consensus in 2019. It is reserved for honored guests and special occasions. Here is a picture of Mr. Stubbs and Rossi just goofing off. Note that the open range cattle had left traces of their visit of some time ago.

More to follow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool beans again!

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let’er Buck

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We made a second foray into the woods. We went to check out an old mica mine. This one had burned forest all around it but somehow survived. I never thought I would prefer seeing beetle killed trees to a worse alternative! Although Lewis and Clark were never here, Mr. Stubbs did walk in the footsteps of ltppowell. (Lt. was Clark’s actual rank, notwithstanding the fib that he and Merriwether Lewis told the men.)

Here is Stubbs lounging with some Mica. We could not get the sun to cooperate to show the glint. This stuff is used in the manufacture of metallic paint for vehicles. It was in short supply after the [bleep] Daiichi nuclear disaster. [Edited to add: Only artificial intelligence could have bleeped out that proper Japanese word, especially considering the substitutes people use here that get through the filter.]

We also took Mr. Stubbs to one of the residence buildings near the mine. Stubbs said that he had saved his stimulus money and that, with interest rates so low, he was considering buying a “fixer upper.” He thought this building was perfect! (He is "hanging around" in the door frame toward the top left of the door frame.) I hope he has deep pockets or substantial woodworking skills.

The area around the mine and fixer upper was part of a mosaic burn. This was within sight of both.

We were somewhat dismayed that we were unable to show Mr. Stubbs any wildlife. It is extremely rare to be in the woods for 55 or so miles and not see a single big game critter. There were a lot of fresh deer, elk and moose tracks, even in the burn scars. But, live critters were elusive. But, after leaving the mine, Mr. Stubbs spotted what appeared to be a large, blackened tree stump that started to move. This time, we were able to get a picture of the moose that Stubbs found. It is almost directly in the center of the photo. It is the first one that my wife and I can recall seeing that was wearing a collar. Although we did not see antlers showing, it is very early in the spring here, so it could have been a bull.

Mr. Stubbs has a likelihood of outliving all of us. So, with his keen eye, he should start accumulating moose preference points.

More to follow.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 06/07/21.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Enjoying Stubb's adventure!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We showed Mr. Stubbs Medicine Bow peak (12,018 ft.) from miles away. In 1955 a commercial airliner flying in bad weather with limited visibility failed to clear the summit by a few hundred feet and slammed into the rock face. People still find pieces-parts of airplane and human bone at the site.

We left the cabin and headed home. We showed Mr. Stubbs the Vedauwoo rock formations but somehow neglected to take a picture. We stopped at the Ames monument constructed on the Transcontinental Railroad line, which commemorates the corrupt U.S. representative and his brother who had a big part in the development and construction of the line. In a bit of poetic justice, the UP relocated the track after the construction of the monument, so the rail line no longer passes by the monument. We also photographed Stubbs observing Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado from about 50 miles away.

More to follow in a couple or three days.

Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 204guy, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1234, 2500HD, 64 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,813
Posts18,516,535
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.