Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Peepsight, what twist are your rifles?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
1 in 12, 1 in 14 and a Hart with 1 in 10. Just cant find a powder-weight that will hold sub MOA for proper C-2 C-3 removal.

Wayne

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I was going to offer some powder suggestions but I don't have any handloading experience with the 22-250.

I know my son's Stevens 200 in 223 loves H-4895. I hear its a good 22-250 powder as well, but like I sad I have no experience.

Last edited by LBP; 01/08/11.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am using 35 gr IMR 4895, CCI 200, Win Brass in my 1/14 twist 22 250. 60 grain partitions will shoot MOA and the 64 gr powerpoints shoot even tighter. OAL is 2.395 in

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Colin, thanks for the help. I only had suggestions for the 223 to help Wayne out...

IC B2

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
So it looks like the 60 gr Hornady or 63 gr Sierra right?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Currently using the 70gn Speer in my .223 and liking it a lot.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by mdv1state
Am I the only one here who hasn't been able to get the 60 partitions to shoot?

What twist is your rifle?

It was a 12 last time i tried the partitions, it's an 8 now and I think I'm just going to stick with the 62 tsx's until something better comes along. I'm not holding my breath.

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got some 64 gr Fusion componets from a friend here at the campfire. They are very accurate. Now if I can only get some does to cooperate.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have the most experience with the 55-grain Winchester PSP from the .22-250 and the 60-grain Nosler Solid Base from the .220 Swift, and never saw either bullet "fail." But have seen a few other big game animals taken with various "varmint" bullets in cartridges including the .223 and .22 Savage High Power, and they didn't fail either.

Early on in my hunting life, I used a 22-250 because my uncle did and he was the best hunter I knew. He would buy a case of 55 grain Winchesterss and shoot away. I later found out he was a professional poacher! He shot 1-2 deer a night for most of the year.

I was stuck with the 22-250 so I made the best of it. I had the best luck with 60 grain Nosler solid bases and 60 grain Barnes soft points.

Eventually, I decided that the Barnes just were cutting for accuracy. I had a bad experience with the 22-250 on a really nice coues whitetail. A raking shot failed to penetrate deep enough and had I not made the running shot of a lifetime and broke his back, I would have lost him- still alive when I got there.

Never shot another deer with a 22 since. I think it is a stunt when you have better rifles to do the job.

I also have had terrible luck with small caliber X bullets. Many of them failed to expand much at all. I don't think they are the answer. I couldn't recommend anything now, as I haven't shot anything big with one since the early 90s.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have the most experience with the 55-grain Winchester PSP from the .22-250 and the 60-grain Nosler Solid Base from the .220 Swift, and never saw either bullet "fail." But have seen a few other big game animals taken with various "varmint" bullets in cartridges including the .223 and .22 Savage High Power, and they didn't fail either.

Early on in my hunting life, I used a 22-250 because my uncle did and he was the best hunter I knew. He would buy a case of 55 grain Winchesterss and shoot away. I later found out he was a professional poacher! He shot 1-2 deer a night for most of the year.

I was stuck with the 22-250 so I made the best of it. I had the best luck with 60 grain Nosler solid bases and 60 grain Barnes soft points.

Eventually, I decided that the Barnes just were cutting for accuracy. I had a bad experience with the 22-250 on a really nice coues whitetail. A raking shot failed to penetrate deep enough and had I not made the running shot of a lifetime and broke his back, I would have lost him- still alive when I got there.

Never shot another deer with a 22 since. I think it is a stunt when you have better rifles to do the job.

I also have had terrible luck with small caliber X bullets. Many of them failed to expand much at all. I don't think they are the answer. I couldn't recommend anything now, as I haven't shot anything big with one since the early 90s.

I've never used anything but the Partition, so I can't speak from personal experience on "varmint bullets." With that said I've never shot a deer more than once with the 223 using the Partition. I also shoot for the heart or lungs not the neck. I've not lost a deer with the 223 with proper bullets and have never had a bullet fail to exit either.

I think Mule Deer has more experience than most of us put together. He knows what he speaks of...

Last edited by LBP; 01/11/11.

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by LBP
The 60gr Hornady SP and 63gr Sierra SMP are both available locally. Any advantage of one vs the other?

The 63 has always shot well much more easily that the 60s in any form. I like both the 63 Sierra and the 64 PowerPoint; good bullets, both.

Others have said that too.

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
All right guys I gave the 60 gr Hornady SP's a try today. I fired two five shot groups with two different powder charges all ten rounds went into 1 1/8" lots of promise.

Then I tried the 63 gr Sierra SMP's. Again I fired two five shot groups with different powder charges. All ten went into 1". 9 went into 3/4" and 8 went into 3/8".

Still work to do but it looks like both are really good. I think the Sierra's are going to be the best like most guys here recommended.

All were shot in a 1-9 twist 223.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greg:

Dry aging depends upon how cold your cooler is.

Old ranchers here used to keep the meat at about 35 degrees for weeks,
"re-skin" it (cut the black off), then they considered it aged!

YMMV

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Greg:

YMMV
"Aging" meat actually means giving the bacteria time to reproduce. Think about it.....

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Those Sierras are GREAT. My load is running 3180 mv and the worst group I have shot since working up is .540"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Greg:

YMMV

It was

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Sure seems like everyone is going to smaller ammo and that is a good thing. There was a time when I was about 14 and asked my dad if i should get a 30-30 or a 30-06. He said get the 06, has more oomph. A Rem. 742 jamb o matic was my gun. , then I went with a .270 Win. cause my friend like his. Now its a .243 Win . I think it is a good idea to use the 22 cal. for deer. It is 1/2 the powder and 1/3 the lead. A nice light Rem. mod. 7 in .223 would be a nice gun. I still cant imagine hunting with a .223 for big northern Wisconsin whitetail though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wow it’s been 10 years since I started this thread, funny how time slips away. In that ten years I’ve taken numerous deer and antelope with 223’s and 22-250’s using various bullets and haven’t lost any. Like Muledeer and other guys said back then just shoot the animal properly and the bullet really doesn’t matter.

For what it’s worth I finally kinda settled on the 75 gr Speer Gold Dots as it’s accurate in all my rifles, it performs very well and it’s inexpensive.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like old threads, I use the 62 Barnes and 62 grain Bear Claws in my AR’s and a Fast twist Tikka 22-250. I don’t shoot with a 22, they hammer pigs really well. I wouldn’t be afraid to shoot a whitetail with one.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.