Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Was referring to the 'Z-Eater'(license plate).....a 429 Super Cobra Jet Torino.....factory solid lifters, 430 locker, etc.

Think Street Machine Nationals. The mouse eating Cobra got a lotta Chevy fans up tight........just like here.

428's chewed cranks.

Most Chevy's.........unmodified.......were crap getting out of the hole. Can you say wheel hop?

Double hump 327's pulled very hard.....spread bore mechanical carbs sounded like a turbine opening up.

Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Most of the Chevy drivers were a little brain dead.
Those 2 bbl 283's were smokin' machines, though.
Are you familiar with the 'Z-eater' Super Cobra Jet Torino, by chance? It had a coiled Cobra.........with a lil' bitty mouse in the mouth.......all sitting on the shaker.
grin:
By 1970 the Chev SBs were way past the 283.

Yes, I helped a neighbor with his Torino (he called it a Cobra) back then but I do not remember any badges - seems like it had a 428 cu in "Cobra-Jet" setup - good power plant but that Torino seemed too heavy to allow top performance. I could be wrong on that - don't know very much about those Fords..

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It wasn't a 2 bbl Cleveland?

The Cleveland's had a 2 or 4 on the corner of the heads......kinda the equivalent of the humps on Chevy's.

We combed every junkyard.....searching out the 4's. Larger valves and advantaged combustion chambers.

We'd put 351 Windsor heads on 302's(Windsor). Larger valves and, dependent on the year.....smaller combustion chambers......boosting compression.

With modification.....you could install the 4bbl Cleveland heads on a 302.....which could get you close to a faux Boss engine.

We never made that modification.

Back then......a hp per cube was fun. Now, this stock 5.0 (302) in the F150 is rated 395hp.

Technology.

Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Most of the Chevy drivers were a little brain dead.
Those 2 bbl 283's were smokin' machines, though.
Are you familiar with the 'Z-eater' Super Cobra Jet Torino, by chance? It had a coiled Cobra.........with a lil' bitty mouse in the mouth.......all sitting on the shaker.
grin:
By 1970 the Chev SBs were way past the 283.

Yes, I helped a neighbor with his Torino (he called it a Cobra) back then but I do not remember any badges - seems like it had a 428 cu in "Cobra-Jet" setup - good power plant but that Torino seemed too heavy to allow top performance. I could be wrong on that - don't know very much about those Fords..

Had a 74 gran torino sport with 351 windsor. Heavy & slow, but was a cool car.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was a Windsor factory 2 barrel. Had a lifter collapse & while the intake was off I took the heads to machine shop. They went over them & did a 3 angle job on em. Was a good running car, but wouldn't win any races.

Romans 5:1
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My first was a ‘65 Mustang fastback,handed down from my older brother.Dad handed it down to him when he turned 16.No doubt,we both wish we still had it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1969 Chevy Impala more-door, 350/255hp, 4-bbl Quadrajet. Dad knew how to tune that carburetor, he loved Q-jets and said they were fine carbs.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5.8L 351W. Some engine street mods and off road under chassis build up. Just enough to go where I wanted to hunting, fishing camping pulling trailers and boats.

Teen cousin I sold it took good care of it. Its still running last time I heard around 2010. All fixed up pretty I was told.

Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by FatCity67
1979 Ford 150 Ranger Explorer. Bought used while in High School. Sold it early 90's to a teen cousin when I needed to buy a family truckster.

Wife on left Pops on right. Miss you Pops.

Yeah couldn't find whole truck pic on short order.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s a really sharp pickup, I love the Explorer stripe kit. Was it a 351, 400, or 300?

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
5.8L 351W. Some engine street mods and off road under chassis build up. Just enough to go where I wanted to hunting, fishing camping pulling trailers and boats.

Teen cousin I sold it took good care of it. Its still running last time I heard around 2010. All fixed up pretty I was told.

1979 Ford 150 Ranger Explorer. Bought used while in High School. Sold it early 90's to a teen cousin when I needed to buy a family truckster.

That’s a really sharp pickup, I love the Explorer stripe kit. Was it a 351, 400, or 300?

Good looking fam' and sorry to hear you losing your pops, primo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

!971 Bronco. Poor thing didn't have a chance. Broke everything on it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
83 mustang! Grey, chess little hatchback with a gutless v6 and auto. Bought it myself at age 15 for $2300 in about 88. I totaled it hunting deer. Almost made it too the top of an icy mountain road before it slid backwards down it dropped off about a 10 foot bank and landed upside down in a mountain creek.

Saw some huge bucks on the walk out but needed to get off the mountain and stop some bleeding so we didn't try to get on the deer.

Bb

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
1969 Pontiac Lemans, 350 4 barrel Q jet, factory dual exhaust. Q jets have huge secondaries and were prone to dieseling but if tweaked were an excellent carb. Fouled plugs running regular gas every 2 weeks. Clean the plugs, run premium, set the timing up and that thing would bark the tires hitting 2nd in the Turbo 400 every time. And it wasn't even a muscle car. 2nd car was a 1973 Ford Gran Torino 351 2V. Didn't have enough power to get out of its own way but looked good and with the Concord stereo was fun to cruise in.

FC67 I lived in the Lodi/Merced area up until about Y2K, you any where close?

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1972, baby blue VW bug. 4 on da floor! It was a cool ride!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
First new car was a special ordered 1970 Hemi 'Cuda. The doors rattled off the lot, but it was fun to drive. I'm surprised that I am still alive.

Now I'm playing with a F150 with a 302 Coyote engine in the barn. Lot of potential in that 4 cam, 4 valve per cylinder engine.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A friend's first car was a bug.

To change the clutch........you had to pull the engine. No hoist or jack required.

A cool ride........air cooled.

Originally Posted by troublesome82
1972, baby blue VW bug. 4 on da floor! It was a cool ride!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Saddest first car story ever. Bummer.

That sliding (or spinning) backwards is the most helpless feeling. Had it a few times......but never ended quite that badly.

Unless you had a Leupold, that rifle was likely knocked off zero, anyway.

Originally Posted by Burleyboy
83 mustang! Grey, chess little hatchback with a gutless v6 and auto. Bought it myself at age 15 for $2300 in about 88. I totaled it hunting deer. Almost made it too the top of an icy mountain road before it slid backwards down it dropped off about a 10 foot bank and landed upside down in a mountain creek.

Saw some huge bucks on the walk out but needed to get off the mountain and stop some bleeding so we didn't try to get on the deer.

Bb

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
1978 Buick Regal. Black with tan interior. You needed to turn off the A/C before merging onto the expressway, but this was still in the days of the double-nickel.

I kept two cotton bathroom rugs in the back for quick deployment-- one for the Friday night steady and the other for the Saturday Night steady. I eventually added a can of Raid after time spent beside a cow pasture. We got chiggers that could have killed.

The nice thing about the tan interior was that it hid the mud from my caving trips.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Good looking fam' and sorry to hear you losing your pops, primo.

Gracias compa.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why is no one copping to their first car being a Vega or Chrysler K car?

No one had an English Ford Cortina either?

Have seen a Peugot listed, and a Studebaker, but no Nash Ramblers, Desotos, Edsels, and other "oddities"?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
74 Ford Maverick 4 door. Yellow with a white vinyl top. At least it had a 302.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
'69 Chevelle SS with a 396 and 4 on the floor.

I blew it up and burned the rear tires off of it. When it started costing my old man money, he made me get rid of it.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A girlfriend had an Orange Vega in college, for her first car.....with a squealing throw-out bearing.

She sold that and then drove a Ford Granada.

I got roped into changing the water pump in that Granada, when I came up for a visit......middle of the winter.....Twin Cities.

She proposed a couple years later.....about 37 years ago.

Now, wrenching flat sucks.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Why is no one copping to their first car being a Vega or Chrysler K car?

No one had an English Ford Cortina either?

Have seen a Peugot listed, and a Studebaker, but no Nash Ramblers, Desotos, Edsels, and other "oddities"?

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 44automag, 450yukon, 21 invisible), 1,361 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,213
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.