Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 57 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 56 57
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister

I realize you will find this fascinating, but one or two scopes aren't a reliable sample to determine reliability of a manufacturer....

I have (50) Leupolds and only (1) failure. That was my fault for building a cantilevered [diving board] scope base that shook the reticle out. Leupold sent me a new scope.

Compare that to the trouble I have had with my
(1) USO, manufactured wrong, adjustable objective off by 180 degrees in the double pitch threads... they fixed for free
(1) B&L manufactured wrong, the 4x12x40 made with misaligned lenses
(2) Burris, (1) runs down battery
(6) IOR, (1) has a turret failure
(1) Zeiss Conquest has a 12X BCD reticle in a 15X scope, and US customer support that just keeps asking me with weight of my bullet, so they can run their computer program
(5) SWFA (1) manufactured wrong, the 20X made with misaligned lenses...they offered me a trade in. I told them it would be morally wrong to let them to sell it again.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I realize you will find this fascinating, but one or two scopes aren't a reliable sample to determine reliability of a manufacturer....

I have (50) Leupolds and only (1) failure. That was my fault for building a cantilevered [diving board] scope base that shook the reticle out. Leupold sent me a new scope.

(1) USO, manufactured wrong, adjustable objective off by 180 degrees in the double pitch threads... they fixed for free
(1) Zeiss Conquest has a 12X BCD reticle in a 15X scope, and US customer support that just keeps asking me with weight of my bullet, so they can run their computer program
(5) SWFA (1) manufactured wrong, the 20X made with misaligned lenses...they offered me a trade in. I told them it would be morally wrong to let them to sell it again.

Maybe you just don't know what a failure is.

Or maybe you need to run thousands of rounds through them, carry them in a scabbard on horseback or drag them across mountains, you know, because mountains are harder on scopes than swamps, rocky creek beds, woods and the high desert.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not directed at anyone here, but I'd bet just as many "scope failures" can be attributed to poor mounting, wind/environmentals, shooter error, etc as actual scope failure. Yes, even at 100 yds. Not everyone is named David Tubb.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've had very few if any problems with my 7 Leupold scopes. I'm not saying you're full of it if you say you have, I'm just saying I haven't experienced it.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Or maybe you need to run thousands of rounds through them, carry them in a scabbard on horseback or drag them across mountains, you know, because mountains are harder on scopes than swamps, rocky creek beds, woods and the high desert.

Of course there are those that have failures but have no clue they are experiencing a failure

. I shoot more than a box a year and have never had a failure. Though I doubt I have a round count of over 500 on any of them. I also have some Leupold made Redfields that have been great. None have adjusted precisely getting them zeroed, but have been 100% reliable once there. VX-2 and below.

Last edited by jwp475; 06/09/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After reading this I tried to quantify my limited experience with Leupold scopes. I don’t know what should be classified as an “older” one, so I added the year of manufacture. The first one I’ve rezeroed for different loads and ranges many times, but all are used set and forget. The only problem I’ve had with any of them is several the ocular bell lock ring won’t stay tight, but otherwise I’m happy with all of them. Their current production doesn’t appeal to me, but thankfully I have more scope than I need so won’t be looking for new ones. I’ll leave others to argue the quality of their current production. Make of this data set what you will.

VX-II 3-9x40 from 2005 on .30-’06: Bought new. 2,525 rounds.

M8 6x42 from 1993 on 223: Bought used. 2,246 rounds.

FX-3 6x42 from 2009 on 8x57: Bought new. 953 rounds.

VariX-III 1.5-5x20 from 1985 on 350 Rem Mag. Bought used. 397 rounds.

VX-2 2-7x33 from 2017 on 308. Bought new. 68 rounds.

FX-2 3x20 from 2018 on 444 Marlin. Bought new. 30 rounds.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by mathman
I wonder if some who consider me a Leupold hater actually have and use fewer Leupold scopes than I do.

Yeah, I'm no hater. I've just experienced enough Leupold failures that I won't use them until I'm darn sure that things have changed.

The old adage comes to mind: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

BC grizzly, black bear, elk and moose, Alberta black bear, African serval to Cape buffalo, US multiple elk, deer and hogs without an issue with hundreds down the bores. Awaiting a go for this years BC hunt moved from last year for goat, elk and moose, 16 days on horseback with my Remington M700 rebore 338-06 with the same 2.5-8x Vari-X III that worked in all of its previous hunts. No worries here.

As long as they meet your requirements that's great. Use them and enjoy them.

For some folks "hundreds down the bores" is something that's done in a single shooting session with dialing adjustments for range between groups of shots at different distances. The differences show up here.

That's so true. Expectations definitely differ. Usually based on use, and sometimes skill levels. There are guys posting in this thread who, in addition to hunting, shoot competitive rifle disciplines, and at least several thousand rounds of CF a year. Plus RF. Guys who can regularly shoot below 1/2 MOA... can pick up on failing equipment, or problems with their own shooting fundamentals, and take steps to correct the problems. Other guys may not notice the same type of failing, for years. Or ever. And that's one of the shortcomings of opinions on the Internet- it's not always easy to tell what a commenters experience level is, but everyone gets to post theirs.

It's all good. Guys should use what makes them happy. Life is short.

Last edited by Wrongside; 06/09/21.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Of course there are those that have failures but have no clue they are experiencing a failure

. I shoot more than a box a year and have never had a failure. Though I doubt I have a round count of over 500 on any of them. I also have some Leupold made Redfields that have been great. None have adjusted precisely getting them zeroed, but have been 100% reliable once there. VX-2 and below.

Let your happiness shine through. I am going to be as meable as possible today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These Leupold threads while entertaining, are repetitive and predictable.

The emotional investment some seem to have in their scope choice is humorous. Honestly, who cares? Use whatever you want. It's your $$ and you only have to please yourself.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Let your happiness shine through. I am going to be as clueless as possible today.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman
An old Weaver may have been mechanically tougher than the subject scope, the modern Leupold.
And Moochelle may be a female,but I doubt either...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If there is a single word that best describes me, it is clueless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If there is a single word that best describes me, it is clueless.

Wait, I am not meable anymore?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I get a kick out of the guys endlessly punching holes in paper from a bench or twiddling knobs to bang steel at long ranges from their bipod and stressing if their scope does't move POI precisely 1/4" per click at 100. Both bore me to tears and have nothing to do with my success in the field. Wonder how good those boys can shoot offhand at 50-100 yards. That's what's important to my hunting success and what I practice constantly, mostly with .22's on my back yard range and I know I can step out the back door right now and bang out a 1.5" or so group from 50 yards with my .22 or .30-30. Most of the bench/bipod bound boys at my club range can't hit a bushel basket at 100 yards without a solid rest. They must all hunt from stands with rests. They sure wouldn't kill much still hunting or tracking when they had to take that quick off hand shot at 75 yards to fill their tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hundreds of rifles, like I am living in a gunsmith junk yard.

When I go to the range, I take tools and lots of rifles to test.
I help other people who are having trouble with bad groups.
For years I noticed that more than half my problems and other people's problems were the scope base screws were loose.

Then I did this simple derivation:

Scope base screws are not stressed in shear, but in tension.
If my 142 gr bullet maximum acceleration is from 500 fps to 2000 fps in 0.4 ms then an 8 pound rifle will try to accelerate from 1.27 fps to 5.07 fps in 0.4 ms. This is an acceleration of 9500 ft/sec squared.
If a 2 pound scope were part of that 8 pound rifle during that acceleration the force between the rifle and the scope would be
f = m a = 2 pounds 9500 f/ss = [9500 f/ss] [2 pounds / [Gc = 32 f/ss]]= 594 pounds.

If there were 4 screws in shear that would be 148 pounds force / screw.
That screw has a 0.12" minor diameter
A = pi r r = .011 sq in
Grade 5 bolt [American cap screws] has a shear strength of 72,000 psi
Each screw would have a shear strength of 814 pounds.

But they are not in shear.
They are in tension.
Grade 5 bolts are good for 127,000 psi in tension.
Each screw is good for 1436 pounds force in tension.
They are pre loaded to about half that, making a clamping force of 700 pounds.
The coefficient of static friction between the steel scope base and the receiver is ~ 0.6
So each screw provides a static state up to 420 pounds recoil force.
4 screws 1680 pounds.
But the hard kicking lightweight rifle and heavy scope only have 594 pounds peak force between them.
1680 pounds friction is greater than 420 pounds recoil, therefor the bases stay put.
If they were to slip, the screws might see shear forces, but that would require operator error in tightening the screws.

But you already noticed that 22 rimfires stay sighted in.

You can put all the oil you want on a 22.

Oil can cause wood stocks to split, but probably not with a 22.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not directed at anyone here, but I'd bet just as many "scope failures" can be attributed to poor mounting, wind/environmentals, shooter error, etc as actual scope failure. Yes, even at 100 yds. Not everyone is named David Tubb.

I often wonder this as well. Or............. has a funky scope had me second guessing myself.

A tough call, but the shooter needs to be totally honest with themselves to realize who or what is screwing up the shots. Talking small errors of course, not the big, obvious, somethings really screwed up stuff.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not everyone is named David Tubb.

That's right. There's a lot of Ernest Tubbs out there too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Damn. All of the Leupold haters on here. There has to be some of your with a vx 111 2.5-8 or an fx111 6x laying around that are willing to do a heads up trade for some well used El Paso Weavers. I even have a Cheena made Bushnell for some boot.
C'mon fellers, aren't they are fuqqn ol pieces of schitt right ? Trade em in here and step into some quality old glass. Or are they not as bad as what you all say they are ?

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some people consider failure to be "completely unusable" - others say "if it doesn't repeatably track or return to zero - it's not working as it should - that's failure"

First group - says "my car burns oil, the passenger door only opens from the outside and there's a weird shimmy above 55mph but I get where I'm going and have been for 2 years!"

2nd groups says "it may work but it's still a chunk of chitt, this is better over here...."

Me

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Stihl

Page 9 of 57 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (163bc, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.