Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 41 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 40 41
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Someone once observed � most cannily, IMHO � that he who insists that his way is the only way denies himself the right to change his mind.

A natural and logical corollary is that he who insists that anyone else should have to keep his opinion to himself denies himself the same freedom of expression that he denounces.
Well said. It should be obvious from my posts on this thread that I agree explicity with that statement. However, it begs the question I posed to you. Would you be so kind as to provide a direct reply to it?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Penny, religion is intensely private, and that is where it should stay.

JebStuart,
Yes and no.to your assertion.

For some, their faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is a new Life that they are constrained to and asked as a demonstration of their saving faith in His Grace to speak of openly by Christ and the scriptures.

Don't know much about the other religions ....but a faith in Christ as one's Savior and Lord is such that folks so saved in truth can hardly keep silent-private IF they are walking in His Spirit.
This Life in Christ is no "religion"... but a living faith and way of life..

And so we speak, listen, fellowship, testify, exhort, encourage others to investigate this New Life we have received in faith which is demonstrated in about all we do.

I believe that Jesus Christ is God's only begotten Son.
Sent as Savior and Redeemer of 'whosoever will hear and respond in faith'..I am one who has and does..:) Jim

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like to hear about the "roads" folks are on in their journey.

We have express routes, toll roads, scenic routes etc.

My journey seems to mostly be on the gravel roads. It has been a slower speed journey that at times has been choking with dust clouds. The breakdowns on the backroads have been resolved from kind folks stepping out of their routine and lending a hand to a travelling stranger.

How is the view/journey on your road???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe that:

1) The truth is, that the greatest enemies of the doctrine of Jesus are those, calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them to the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words. -T.J.

2) Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our god alone. -T.J.

3) He who steadily observes the moral precepts in which all religions concur, will never be questioned at the gates of heaven as to the dogmas in which they all differ. -T.J.

Any man, no matter his creed, who points his finger at me, or any other, and utters the words: "My faith is more valid than your faith, I'm saved and you're going to hell." belongs in a cave in the mountains of Afghanistan with the rest of the scumbags who would deny my freedom and replace it with tyranny and should be rsisted with whatever force I can bring to bear, even unto the death. -ME!

Shaun

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by isaac
To the rest of you, find a site where your religious dogmatism and intolerant demeanings of others are pervasive and welcomed. Here's a news flash...there's a bunch of them.!!

In the event you have included me as a religious dogmatic, and didn't read my first posts before they degraded into a pissing match between JSTUART and myself, I said there is no need for a religious forum as I haven't seen any proselytizing on this board. We don't need a religious forum that encourages the kind of disagreement and intolerance you describe. I don�t come here to discuss religion although I as well read with interest the posts of the people you mentioned above.

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I didn't intend to speak to any man directly and merely to a thought process.

If I offended you, I apologize for not being more specific as to my intended message and thoughts.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
� So you are saying some, likely me, who do not appreciate the calls for censureship are "fervently anti-christian"? Certainly you do not include those calling for a black-out of all things of faith since they never posted there. You can be frank. It will not offend me in the least.

All right, frank:

Frankly, I guess I don't understand your question � possibly because my thinking focuses more on concepts and content than on personalities, and you seem to be asking me for my judgement of people.

By "censureship," do you mean censorship? Your sentence "Certainly you do not include � they never posted there" baffles me, too.

Frankly.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Content altered

Last edited by Magnumdood; 08/18/07. Reason: Edited for content
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I didn't intend to speak to any man directly and merely to a thought process.

If I offended you, I apologize for not being more specific as to my intended message and thoughts.

Thank you. I too apologize for perhaps being overly-sensitive.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
This topic easily does that to folks, unfortunately!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This topic easily does that to folks, unfortunately!!

This reminds me of what a canny old Alabama gal said in response to comments about how a certain old fellow was an SOB in his old age:

"He didn't get that way just lately. I've known him since we were kids, and he didn't just lately get that way."

I had the feeling at the time that she'd planted her thumb on a deep fundamental philosophical and psychological truth about human nature.

IMHO, this topic doesn't make anybody become something that he wasn't already. It just brings out what was already there.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Point well taken. Some don't find their way to a savior till later in life however and it is those whose new found puritanical pitches irk me most.

PS...Did I use "whose" correctly???

Last edited by isaac; 08/18/07.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The old cliche that comes to mind is "If two people know about it, it ain't a secret."

Don't put it "out there" if you aren't prepared to defend it.

(Not directed at anybody.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

CHRIST AT THE CAMPFIRE is gone and in no way do I say this out of moral superiority or sanctimony but some of the same stuff that bubbled to the top there is evident here again, the reason I did not spend much time at that forum. Faith-in Christ-is not something to be argued contentiously or at least not for me but shared calmly, quietly and lovingly, and appropriately.

I'm sure I've swallowed my share of camels while trying to strain gnats too but we all know, or should, it's not profitable.

Gdv

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My point exactly. I have enough trouble controlling myself without trying to control anyone else.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by Penguin
Religion is not discussed in polite company�My God, don't you folks have any sympathy for the owners and administrators of this site?

Will

Your sanctimonious hyperbole is alternatively aggravating and amusing.

What, exactly, do you find to be sanctimonious hyperbole? Or are you just trying out some new catch-phrases picked up somewhere else? Maybe the optics forum?

In light of your garrulous arguments on the Optics Forum and your cheeky and uncalled for shot at me, here's a definition I find to be amusing and germane as my response:

The Affected Profundity Troll: A mutant subspecies of Sophist Trolls, Affected Profundity Trolls post endless pages of pretentious drivel that is intended to appear wise, but which generally makes little sense (if any). Affected Profundity Trolls enjoy asking themselves questions, sometimes answering them and sometimes leaving them hanging, for they believe this looks intelligent and lends an aura of mystery to their incoherent ramblings. Affected Profundity Trolls aspire to become Sophist Trolls, but lack the intelligence necessary to make the leap.

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welp, I've been doing a little traveling over the last 12 hours and had no chance to catch this thread early.

A lot of editorializing aside (as I still have jet lag), welcome to what is destined to be the longest thread ever on the Campfire.

From now on, religious threads will be merged into this one, so thaat they are contained in one place.

Newsflash: We TRIED to have a healthy religious forum. For three years I struggled with its incarnation. Didn't work.

SO now, we'll have a gigantic religious thread.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
uhhhhhhhh thanks Rick smile

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It isn't a victory from where I sit.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Human nature is interesting.

The easily frightened buy in to something they know is sketchy, then try to rally as much support as possible to give them a sense of security in their choice.

Folks I know whose faith truly runs deep, have no need to attend church, or discuss their beliefs publicly.

IMO, If this is all by design, the designer is one sick puppy.

Page 34 of 41 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,288
Posts18,505,199
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.