-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My neighbor has a Dewalt battery operated chainsaw, he uses it to cut up smaller limbs into rounds for his fire pit, works great. I'm thinking about getting one for the wife for her b-day.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I ordered the dewalt 20v this morning. He already has a drill & impact with same brand & voltage. Thank you all for the recommendations.👍

Romans 5:1
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just weighed my Stihl MS150C at 7 pounds 9 ounces full of gas and oil. I'd be interested if your electric is lighter. I suppose Lithium batteries are better than what I used in my old weed wacker, but that gas saw has been running way longer than that electric weed wacker ever did.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Anyone own one? Was thinking of getting my dad one for father's day. He's got a stihl that's practically new, but I'm the only one that can use it. He's got bad shoulders, and I'm thinking a 10 or 12" dewalt might be useful. Any experience , are they any count?

Check out the videos on You Tube from "Project Farm". He has two pretty extensive reviews of most of the top battery saws.............just search battery chain saws.

Last edited by reivertom; 06/10/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just weighed my Stihl MS150C at 7 pounds 9 ounces full of gas and oil. I'd be interested if your electric is lighter. I suppose Lithium batteries are better than what I used in my old weed wacker, but that gas saw has been running way longer than that electric weed wacker ever did.
For the most part, battery saws are heavier. Those batteries are big. Replacement batteries are expensive, too. Kobalt makes their 18" saw in 2 battery sizes: 2 AH and 5 AH. The 2 is $200, the 5 is $400. For small jobs around home, the 2 is plenty. If you're cutting firewood a lot, the 5 is worth the money.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got the EGO 56v. Have yet to find it lacking for what I do around the house/yard. Mostly limbing and small stuff up to 6". I've got the EGO 56v weed trimmer and leaf blower, each with its own 56v battery, so battery life/availability is genraaly not a concern.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Home Depot had a deal on the Ryobi for Father's Day at $99 for the 8 inch 18 volt compact saw and battery charger and two batteries. Of course they aren't available.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by MARCEL
I've got the fuel pole saw. My understanding is their chainsaw is very similar in bar length and power. As higginez says it does leak oil but its a beast for power and battery life.

It doesn't leak. What both of you are experiencing is drain back from the bar and chain, All saws will do this if they are providing enough oil to the bar and chain. If you aren't getting drain back you ain't getting enough oil on your chain.

The solution is simple, fold a rag and lay it under the saw.

And yes The Fuel is an incredible saw, I no longer have any gas saws, I also do not heat with wood anymore or I would have gas saws.

Lol that's exactly what I've done. More a observation than a gripe I guess.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Sure like my EGO. Handles most jobs for the occasional user.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A battery saw no way cuts as fast as a gas saw, that;s not what they are about.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by keith
I was ready to go electric on weedeaters and chain saws when a friend told me about this product: Problem solved!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TruFuel-50-1-Pre-mixed-Fuel-Oil-6525638/202532877

that all I use in my chainsaw, starts first pull every time.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by MARCEL
I've got the fuel pole saw. My understanding is their chainsaw is very similar in bar length and power. As higginez says it does leak oil but its a beast for power and battery life.

It doesn't leak. What both of you are experiencing is drain back from the bar and chain, All saws will do this if they are providing enough oil to the bar and chain. If you aren't getting drain back you ain't getting enough oil on your chain.

The solution is simple, fold a rag and lay it under the saw.

And yes The Fuel is an incredible saw, I no longer have any gas saws, I also do not heat with wood anymore or I would have gas saws.

I remove the battery and stand the saw on that end with the blade pointed up....end of problem

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No electric experience, but I'd speculate they're fine for a few minutes of typical yard work. Yesterday, however, I ran a saw for 4 hours working up next winter's firewood. I doubt electric would have even taken the tree down.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Anyone own one? Was thinking of getting my dad one for father's day. He's got a stihl that's practically new, but I'm the only one that can use it. He's got bad shoulders, and I'm thinking a 10 or 12" dewalt might be useful. Any experience , are they any count?

I do not own one but recently used a Husqvarna at a crosscut and felling course...it was fine on small stuff and would be my go to for trimming in the gardens or for the grey nomads who want the facility to gather a bit of firewood whilst travelling.

Definitely not for heavy cutting or cutting winter firewood.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
I have 40 volt 16" Greenworks that I've used on 2' dia. pine and 16" dia. oak with no problem. It will cut about 1/4 cord on a charge. About like me.
Best part is the quiet. I have had deer walk up while cutting.
Haven't started the Stihl since I got it.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by WhopperStopper
I have a Stihl and couldn't be happier. I have made a living with gas saws for 40+ years. Zipping oak is no problem as long as you keep it sharp. I actually find using it enjoyable.

WS

What diameter logs can you cut with it.

Could you cut a 1/2 a pickup bed full with one charge?

Depends upon what Amp Hr battery you have. 5-AmpHr 20V DeWalt on a 12" 20V saw would get pretty close to that. I went DeWalt because I have a bunch of batteries for other tools already. Half-dozen 4's and a couple of flex-volt 6's will last a lot longer than I'm willing to cut.

I went battery powered because:

1. I use a chainsaw just often enough that the summbitch would never run if I had a gas model
2. The vast majority of my usage is trimming branches, not felling trees.
3. I don't need/use the trim-branches I cut down for anything.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently purchased an Echo 58 Volt chainsaw and string trimmer. They both work great. I bought an extra 4 amp hour battery. I can do a lot of cutting before my batteries run out. The batteries will charge in about 1 1/2 hours.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest advantage of electrics is the ease of use and low maintenance. Chain sharpening is the same either way. If the chain quality, speed, and sharpness are the same, an electric will cut as fast as a gas. You have to know the chains of both saws to compare them. If you have a quick charger and a generator or inverter to keep a 2d battery charged, an electric will keep you cutting all day.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
No electric experience, but I'd speculate they're fine for a few minutes of typical yard work. Yesterday, however, I ran a saw for 4 hours working up next winter's firewood. I doubt electric would have even taken the tree down.

I think you’d be surprised by what they will do.

Cuttin sons of bītches.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by 1minute

I think you’d be surprised by what they will do.

Cuttin sons of bītches.

Especially if you get one that plugs into the wall. Plus they are quiet.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.