Hop To
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by IZH27
This religion and JW can be traced back to the area of New York called the burned over district and or the influences of Charles Finney. It’s interesting that most of modern religion in America is influenced by this man.

I think the JW movement had more root in Millerism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerism

Probably so. The greater point is that the revivalist movement was not Christian in any way shape or form. Finney denied original sin, justification through Christ and taught a works based Christianity that has permeated almost every denomination in America. The Burned Over District and Finney’s influence were the seedbed for most of the “new Christian denominations” that have plagued Christianity. America has nothing to be proud of in this contribution.

Last edited by IZH27; 06/13/21.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It is, was, and always has been about expansion of the congregation ...

That's the idea.
"And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation."
Mark 16:15

You know, it might just be you who has made the mistaken interpretations.

Time will tell. None of us getting any younger.

"And Agrippa said to Paul, “In a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” And Paul said, “Whether short or long, I would to God that not only you but also all who hear me this day might become such as I am—except for these chains.”
Act 26:28-29

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And there are no spaceships and other planets lol

MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

A bit disingenuous of you to start a thread with the impression you are wanting to know something, and all you really want is to stir the pot.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
All I've met are great Americans.

You can be an idiot and patriotic at the same time.

From what I’ve read they believe that Christ was an example of what we are supposed to work to be. I’ve tried to nail it down in discussions but found side stepping when speaking to someone of the Mormon faith about justification. Nearest that I can tell is justification comes down to works in LDS teaching. That alone separates them from historic Christianity.

This religion and JW can be traced back to the area of New York called the burned over district and or the influences of Charles Finney. It’s interesting that most of modern religion in America is influenced by this man.

And Jim Jones.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anytime Denton speaks, I listen close.

I agree. I have met him, shared some range time and a meal and conversation. A good man.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldHat

I think the JW movement had more root in Millerism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerism

Probably so. The greater point is that the revivalist movement was not Christian in any way shape or form. Finney denied original sin, justification through Christ and taught a works based Christianity that has permeated almost every denomination in America. The Burned Over District and Finney’s influence were the seedbed for most of the “new Christian denominations” that have plagued Christianity. America has nothing to be proud of in this contribution.

I'm not going to defend Finney, but the raw truth is that heresy and divergent teachings started right at the very beginning in the first century. This is clear from the Bible itself, the early Church fathers and all of Church history. satan started immediately and has not stopped.

Last edited by OldHat; 06/13/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by HitnRun

A bit disingenuous of you to start a thread with the impression you are wanting to know something, and all you really want is to stir the pot.

Pretty sure stirring the pot is the purpose of the campfire.

Letting people speak their mind reveals a LOT about their mind. For a person who has the strength to withstand being mentally tossed to and fro it can be informative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know of many Mormons around here, but they have a church,
so there's probably more than I know. Don't care much.
Neighbor farm growing up was owned by Mormons, everyone
knew it because that was different.

The old man, now probably 80, was a good guy.
His kids were decent.
Except Charley.
Poor bastard is a swindler.
Very smart man, mechanically talented, good fabber
Can do darn near anything.
Except truly fit his unofficial nickname. Honest Charley.
Crookedist dude I've ever know.
Has started many businesses, lost every single one due to
the fact that no one trusts him.

He is a Mormon.
But that has nothing to do with anything.

People are all individuals.

One must be careful with sterotypes.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Original question was about beliefs, not character or work ethic. Sorry for the confusion?

Mormons also have a type of hierarchy within their ranks that most seem to take fairly serious. It can be very awkward for them professionally because they could be a subordinate at their place of work but the superior for purposes of the church.

In my experience it causes a lot of weird schit to take place.

You are thinking of masons not Mormons..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by denton

Our first article of faith is that we believe in God the Eternal Father, his son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. Another article is, We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel. (This often sparks the old grace vs. works debate. We teach that it by grace that we are saved, after all we can do. Not going to debate that here.) Another article of faith says that we believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, and in doing good to all men. As I have said, our real beliefs are readily available at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org. If what you are being taught about us does not match that, then it is in error.

Thank you for the link.

Do you worship Christ?
Here it says Smith saw God AND Christ at the same time in a vision.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics-essays/first-vision-accounts?lang=eng
Do you agree Joseph Smith engaged in Scrying?

Do you believe we existed before birth? Why exactly are large number of children important in Mormonism?
https://beliefmap.org/mormonism/mormonism-teaches-spirit-children
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org...it-children-of-heavenly-parents?lang=eng

Do you believe you become Gods in your own right through spiritual progression?
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics-essays/becoming-like-god?lang=eng

Do you believe God(The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the Great I Am) is the original creator and was not preceded by another god before Him.

Based on family experience I know for a fact that there are many fine upstanding Mormons. It is still very important for people to know the hard distinctions between Mormonism and Christianity.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Original question was about beliefs, not character or work ethic. Sorry for the confusion?

Mormons also have a type of hierarchy within their ranks that most seem to take fairly serious. It can be very awkward for them professionally because they could be a subordinate at their place of work but the superior for purposes of the church.

Uhhh no. Elders and whatnot get away with murder (metaphorically) and banging junior members’ wives. And get free work on their houses and whatnot by the church. At least in my experience.

MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 79S

You aren’t thinking at all.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 79S

Not according to the Mormons I've known.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

How about when he writes? Just listen closer?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh the stories I could tell, Mormon hiding behind their religion to try and save face for being swindlers.. Have a friend who’s dad a Mormon lost everything because his business partner another Mormon decided not to pay the mortgages on their rental properties. The crook Mormon came out smelling like roses because my buds dad didn’t press charges he said the lord will deal with it. 99% of Mormons do not like confrontation.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 79S
Oh the stories I could tell, Mormon hiding behind their religion to try and save face for being swindlers.. Have a friend who’s dad a Mormon lost everything because his business partner another Mormon decided not to pay the mortgages on their rental properties. The crook Mormon came out smelling like roses because my buds dad didn’t press charges he said the lord will deal with it. 99% of Mormons do not like confrontation.

Please, tell us some stories.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 79S

I can say the same about ‘Christians’. As a matter of fact, one of the most recent is a ‘higher up’ in a local church who took the congregation for a six-digit figure.
People suck, regardless of religion.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hillestadj

How about when he writes? Just listen closer?

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by 79S

I can say the same about ‘Christians’. As a matter of fact, one of the most recent is a ‘higher up’ in a local church who took the congregation for a six-digit figure.

Or those of no religion at all.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by 79S

You ever live in a Mormon rich environment?

Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.