Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 29 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 28 29
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tarquin

I find the idea that there is today an integrated Christian " faith and church", which is God's faith and church in the same way there was a true and integrated Christian faith (and church) at the time of Christ, to be quite laughable. At the time of Christ, there was obviously only one church, one faith---one accepted canon of doctrine.

This is not true. An even casual reading of the Bible shows the truth. It was as wrought with division then as it is now.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have seen first hand abuse and favoritism based on who is or isn’t a Mormon.

I don’t know if it’s like that everywhere but it was prevalent where I lived.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

But others believe in the same Bible you do and see the salvific truth very differently. There is also the issue of baptism. It is an essential ordinance, but who has the authority? You see, you can't avoid the problem of "says who"?

Do you read the Bible if so you will see that Christ laid out what is essential so it does not matter "who says". You seem obsessed with what people say.

Do you believe God exists?
If no. Then google William Lane Craig for a good start.
If yes. Then you must believe in the supernatural ability of His power to comunicate the truth.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Except one is born of water and of the spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God, says Jesus to Nicodemus. And you say it's not essential to salvation? Says who? Not Jesus.

Being born of water means being born from the womb. Sprinkling water on someone is not being born. No where in the Bible does anyone say water baptism is essential.

Here He is clearly says being born of the water is being born of the flesh.

"Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
(Joh 3:5-6 ESV)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm LDS. It seems pointless to discuss it here I just figured I'd stand and be counted. I get enough crap about it from my own family. They belong to a congregation called cowboys for Christ that might have 200 members. If I don't get baptized into their congregation and become a real Christian I'm going to hell.

It's going to be lonely for them in heaven with only 200 of them. They believe Christ vicariously died for their sins but think I'm going to hell for believing someone can vicariously be baptized for someone who never had an opportunity. They believe that works don't matter and that they are saved by grace but only if they do the work of being baptized into their one and only congregation.

They say God is fair and just and loves all of his children but think he's only going to save those baptized into their congregation. So if you don't live in Southern Idaho you are screwed.

I'll be spending Father's day weekend with them and can't wait for them to tell me the same old Revelations says you can't add anything to this book or you're going to hell. Then I say do you even realize how and when the Bible was put together. And, who did it and that Revelation might be the last book in it but it was written as a stand alone and wasn't the last written time wise in the Bible. BTW they hate the Catholic religion too.

A big part of me is just happy they've found some sort of religion other than partying. If they have to answer for how they treated us as kids they'll need it. It seems like my only refuge growing up was at my LDS neighbors home so at about 17 I joined them. It was a great move for me but to each his own. I know as well as anyone that LDS people are far from perfect but I've yet to meet anyone of any religion who was. I just think a religion should at a minimum ask you to try to be a better person.

Sorry if none of this makes sense but I've been awake all night in pain again and these long rambling posts help take my mind off of it.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 06/14/21.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'm LDS. It seems pointless to discuss it here I just figured I'd stand and be counted. I get enough crap about it from my own family. They belong to a congregation called cowboys for Christ that might have 200 members. If I don't get baptized into their congregation and become a real Christian I'm going to hell.

It's going to be lonely for them in heaven with only 200 of them. They believe Christ vicariously died for their sins but think I'm going to hell for believing someone can vicariously be baptized for someone who never had an opportunity. They believe that works don't matter and that they are saved by grace but only if they do the work of being baptized into their one and only congregation.

They say God is fair and just and loves all of his children but think he's only going to save those baptized into their congregation. So if you don't live in Southern Idaho you are screwed.

I'll be spending Father's day weekend with them and can't wait for them to tell me the same old Revelations says you can't add anything to this book or you're going to hell. Then I say do you even realize how and when the Bible was put together. And, who did it and that Revelation might be the last book in it but it was written as a stand alone and wasn't the last written time wise in the Bible. BTW they hate the Catholic religion too.

A big part of me is just happy they've found some sort of religion other than partying. If they have to answer for how they treated us as kids they'll need it. It seems like my only refuge growing up was at my LDS neighbors home so at about 17 I joined them. It was a great move for me but to each his own. I know as well as anyone that LDS people are far from perfect but I've yet to meet anyone of any religion who was. I just think a religion should at a minimum ask you to try to be a better person.

Sorry if none of this makes sense but I've been awake all night in pain again and these long rambling posts help take my mind off of it.

Bb

Burleyboy,

No worries buddy. I am friends with a number of Mormons. I just don’t understand why they don’t want me to join.

Not that I would. But they could at least ask.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
1 Timothy 1:15
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief

Isn’t that what Christ came here to do? Yet all the chatter of who is right and who is wrong divides the sinners and makes all Christians finding fault with other faiths, nothing more than who they are condemning.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Of all the problems we face in this crazy world right now...I'd put the LDS and their people so far down the list as to be invisible.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Sadly some non members feel like we ostracize them. This is against our teachings if this happens. Our teachings teach people to fellowship and help all. I think it happens because nearly everyone you live around knows each other and sees each other at least weekly. Of course you act differently to those you know verses don’t know. I think that is what non members see and it’s not intentional.

That's probably the truth. It's also the truth that a co-worker's high school senior, a starter as a sophomore and junior, was benched by the new mormon coach in favor of a "promising" freshman who happened to be mormon. There's the official line, and there's the real world. I would NEVER have raised my kids in a predominantly mormon community. They would have been ostracized, if not by intent, by reality.

Like other people, there's good and bad LDS members. And like any other group of people, they can get very clannish, even mob like.

Funny story. First time I came into the town of Grace, ID, my FIL and I went to town for lunch, sat down in the little local restaurant, and when the (young) waitress came to bring the menu, we ordered a cup of coffee. Without missing a beat, she said "the smoking section is on the other side". For many behind the Zion curtain, the world is black and white. Either you're LDS, and OK, or you're assumed to be a coffee guzzling, smoking, boozing womanizer that kicks the dog, tortures the cat and hates kids, his mother, and apple pie........

People aren't wired to see shades of gray. Either you're with us, or you're against us. Friend or stranger. Black or white. Republican or Democrat. When one group gets to be dominant, that tendency tends to have ugly repercussions for the minority.

Isn't Pocafella a predominantly Mormon community??

Probably about 30 some %. University town, historically a little more industrial than the rest of South East Idaho. Everybody knows what everyone else believes, and there's not much "attempts to convert" going on.

When I say "predominantly". I'm thinking of the smaller rural farming towns, which can be upwards of 90% mormon. Heck, where I farm, even the Mexican farm hands go to the LDS church. Just a matter of convenience, at that point. At that level of LDS membership, the church becomes the center of everything, boy scouts, social activities, everything. The fair is organized in church, that sort of thing. Again, not out of malicious intent, but because the good, upstanding citizens with a civic bent are in church together for three hours every Sunday, and that's where the vast majority of networking takes place. But if you have kids that don't go there, they will simply be left out (unless they are targeted for "recruitment", at which point there will be a very deliberate effort to include them..... until they make it known they aren't interested in becoming a member. At which point they are dropped by their "friends", at the direction of their parents. ). Again, not out of malice, at all, but that's just the way it works, and it's incredibly tough on especially young kids.

The same thing goes for trying to run a business that is built on relationships. Don't start an insurance brokerage in a predominantly mormon town unless you are a mormon. It's just not going to go well because you will be excluded from the primary networking system in the community, and there's not a Lion's club or Rotary you can join to make up for it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Just like I thought

Turned into a pizzing contest........

No I don't belong to the Mormon faith

But I am a retired Teamster........... grin

Old Coot gonna be pissed.

LOL

Not at all.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Just like I thought

LOL

Not at all.

STFU you whiny old bitch.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Bb

Burleyboy,

No worries buddy. I am friends with a number of Mormons. I just don’t understand why they don’t want me to join.

Hint:
They don’t like drunkards.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Bb

Burleyboy,

Hint:

Old Coot managed to stay single and sterile his whole life.

LOL

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Bb

Burleyboy,

Hint:

Old Coot managed to stay single and sterile his whole life.

LOL

You ain’t never not been wrong.

As always, drunkard.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Just like I thought

LOL

Not at all.

STFU you whiny old bitch.

Get the dishes washed and the clothes all folded and put away then come back to us. Madam Brown.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was going to go golf with my kids.

Not something you can do.

LOL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sadly some non members feel like we ostracize them. This is against our teachings if this happens. Our teachings teach people to fellowship and help all. I think it happens because nearly everyone you live around knows each other and sees each other at least weekly. Of course you act differently to those you know verses don’t know. I think that is what non members see and it’s not intentional.

That's probably the truth. It's also the truth that a co-worker's high school senior, a starter as a sophomore and junior, was benched by the new mormon coach in favor of a "promising" freshman who happened to be mormon. There's the official line, and there's the real world. I would NEVER have raised my kids in a predominantly mormon community. They would have been ostracized, if not by intent, by reality.

Like other people, there's good and bad LDS members. And like any other group of people, they can get very clannish, even mob like.

Funny story. First time I came into the town of Grace, ID, my FIL and I went to town for lunch, sat down in the little local restaurant, and when the (young) waitress came to bring the menu, we ordered a cup of coffee. Without missing a beat, she said "the smoking section is on the other side". For many behind the Zion curtain, the world is black and white. Either you're LDS, and OK, or you're assumed to be a coffee guzzling, smoking, boozing womanizer that kicks the dog, tortures the cat and hates kids, his mother, and apple pie........

People aren't wired to see shades of gray. Either you're with us, or you're against us. Friend or stranger. Black or white. Republican or Democrat. When one group gets to be dominant, that tendency tends to have ugly repercussions for the minority.
. I am sorry you feel that way. I can see how kids would feel left out. In my neighborhood this happens when some kids go to a charter school and most others go to regular school. The public regular school kids see each other every day, The charter school kids don’t integrate as well with the others on church activities.

Our teachings say to love all and help others. If you come across an lds person who you feel is treating you the opposite that is against our own teachings.

I do have a bias I will admit to. I don’t want my kids to marry non members. But that is really because marriage is hard enough and mixing cultures is just even harder. I think the closer culture your spouse is the better chance your marriage has.

Burley, I am sure there is more to your story. Probably interesting. Your decision will impact generations. Love that part of Idaho, it’s like going back in time 20 years.,

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was going to go golf with my kids.

Not something you can do.

LOL

You’re wrong yet again.

What a dumbf’k you are and ever shall be.

Enjoy your time at Putt Putt.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

. I am sorry you feel that way. I can see how kids would feel left out. In my neighborhood this happens when some kids go to a charter school and most others go to regular school. The public regular school kids see each other every day, The charter school kids don’t integrate as well with the others on church activities.

Our teachings say to love all and help others. If you come across an lds person who you feel is treating you the opposite that is against our own teachings.

I do have a bias I will admit to. I don’t want my kids to marry non members. But that is really because marriage is hard enough and mixing cultures is just even harder. I think the closer culture your spouse is the better chance your marriage has.

Burley, I am sure there is more to your story. Probably interesting. Your decision will impact generations. Love that part of Idaho, it’s like going back in time 20 years.,

My SDA Uncle was married to the most wonderful LDS woman in the world for fifty years before she passed from heart issues. The four kids did Sabbath School on Sat and Mormon Sunday School on Sunday.

It was an interesting relationship.

And that is why an Adventist Pastor will not marry a member to a nonmember. Yes, you can get married, but the Pastor will not perform the ceremony.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by OldHat

Except one is born of water and of the spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God, says Jesus to Nicodemus. And you say it's not essential to salvation? Says who? Not Jesus.

Being born of water means being born from the womb. Sprinkling water on someone is not being born. No where in the Bible does anyone say water baptism is essential.

Here He is clearly says being born of the water is being born of the flesh.

"Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
(Joh 3:5-6 ESV)

Born of water means baptism, not being born period. It is non-sensical and redundant to say you can't be saved unless or until you've been born. Duh! There is a reason that the Eunuch sought baptism immediately after his conversion. How essential is baptism to salvation? Even Christ was baptized and baptism was an essential ordinance in the early church.

Tarquin
Page 20 of 29 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

724 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 64 invisible), 2,857 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.