Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Though I’m not a fan of their Encores, T/C did make some very respectable and modestly priced rifles over the years. Ventures and Compass rifles were decent and far better than cheaper Savage Axis, Remington 770/783s to name a few.

Will T/C ever make a comeback in today’s market?

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, they lost me years ago. Not many budget bolt rifles appeal to me, and the best one, the Icon, was plagued, IMO, with
TC style (oogly trigger guard and bolt), which was enough to perhaps put it down, despite some really good points. They backtracked pretty quick with options for both, but you know what they say about first impressions. The newer ones seem to be pretty good, but are in a market full of competitors. Most of the enthusiasts seem to have tried one based on serious discounts, not love at first sight.

Coninkadinkly, I fell pretty sure that all the discounted Tupperware rifles also are serious completion for the switch-barrel models and other players in that niche have undercut them on price as well. I just don’t see much of a profitable path for a new owner. The web is filled with bad reports on current accessory barrels. Don't know if it’s all true or bashing by aftermarket suppliers.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I fear Thompson Center is gone, the muzzleloading rifle market peaked in 2007 which was T/C's primary market share. The economy rifle market also has to many players with too many product offerings for a market that is likely stagnant as well. T/C had a great run and will be missed by many....but not all.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T/C screwed up when they ditched the Contender and went to the Encore.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The best rifles were their TCR 83 Aristocrat introduced in 1983 and TCR 87. Switch barrels that were traditional break open singles shots much more attractive than the Encore line. Back when they were being offered T/C had a major fire that destroyed everything. They never brought the TCR Aristocrat back. It was a nice rifle more inline with a European single shot with switch barrel capability.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
T/C had the same problem when S&W took over as Marlin did with Remington. When they were small and in NH they made quality with great customer service. The only hope now is that someone takes them over and goes back to basics, but it’s doubtful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the farmers who rents land from us bought 2 of the Venture IIs, a 223 and a 6.5 CM. He bought the 6.5 CM first and was so impressed by the accuracy of a $375 Cerakoted rifle that he bought a 223 to use for shooting predators.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
T/C made some great muzzle loaders but everything else they made has some stupid design features. They seemed unable to make a firing mechanism that didn't suck. GD

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
T/C had the same problem when S&W took over as Marlin did with Remington. When they were small and in NH they made quality with great customer service. The only hope now is that someone takes them over and goes back to basics, but it’s doubtful.

I suggested the T/C Venture II to a friend for his first deer rifle, of course in 6.5 Creed. I sighted the rifle in for him using the Hornady 129 gr interlock......just a tad over 1/2 inch for 3 shorts.

My only complaint with the T/C Venture is the rifle is on the heavy side yet a much better synthetic stock than the Ruger or Savage rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is T/C now defunct?

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've killed more deer with a Encore muzzleloader than any other gun I own. I'm happy with it

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm hoping Lehigh will buy the IP for the old-school Contender. They're already trying to do a better job of those, and my understanding is they were bogged down with S&W in legal issues over IP. Seems simple enough to solve both problems.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Had a T/C venture in 243 first year they came out, was extremely accurate. Shot Hornady 58g vmax & 95g sst very well. Only complaints were thick handle & back of bolt(firing pin) was open. Snowday hunts it froze up twice. Sold it and upgraded to an x-bolt that couldn't hit broad side of a barn. Wish I had saved the $500.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The reason they probably won't make a come back, is because their guns are not "Tacti-cool" . Now if they start equipping their rifles with black folding telescoping stocks, full length barrel rails, flash hiders and give them sniper wanabee names, they might have a chance. RJ

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shame!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of their Icons, both with the synthetic stock. They are a bit heavy but they both consistently shoot well.

Besides not having a lefty version I feel the only weakness is the mag box design.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a TC Encore stainless/synthetic pistol in .243. Damn thing is super accurate. Fun to shoot deer with.

Buddy bought a TC Icon when they first came out. Shot minute of barn with all ammo and 3 different scopes.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a TC venture II in 223/5.56 as some of you know it's one accurate rifle. The stock is a Houge pillar bedded stock.
Very stout, it don't bend and feel like a plastic piece of Tonka toy crap.

The 3 shot magazine helped keep these from selling along with the reputation the Venture I had.
I bought a 5 shot magazine from HGW, it is slick as snot. The 5R rifling is new to me but I like it, it don't copper foul easy, & is a cinch to clean.

The rifle shoots everything good from 50gr handloads to 75gr Hornadys, the 9" twist don't matter, and the muzzle threaded 1x28. Ya
I can load em long, out to 2.380 and get an extra bit of powder before I hit max. The mag is plenty long on both the TC & HGW, like the chamber.

I want to buy another one in 243 because this is a awesome rifle but can't find one, still looking. Damn shame.

Last edited by doubleDs55; 06/16/21.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Just bought a compass for $199 bucks. Maybe they're going to be on clearance now? Hope someone picks them up and keeps them going

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.