Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'd shoot that SOB before it ate a dog or kid.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'd shoot that SOB before it ate a dog or kid.

I think a few whacks will do to make him unwelcome.

The folks across from me on the Lake had a real dandy laying up on their boat lift sunning himself.

Loose dogs aren’t allowed and folks that have them walk them on a leash.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toot, I’d name him “Boots”

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There might be a reason gators were darn near extinct.
Our forefathers took control. Of something was a threat, they
eliminated it. Not sure that's good, or bad.

Kinda like our bears.

When I was young they didn't really exist right here.

By the 80s, some were being seen. That was cool.
In the 90s, guys who really wanted to could kill one over a year or two.
That was cool.

Now? They destroy corn fields, raid cabins, tear up property.
And it's not rare.

Might be just a few too many!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Were it my property, I'd be sporting a new set of alligator leather tefillin in about 6-9 months.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Toot, I’d name him “Boots”

🦫

“My name is Gator McCluskey, you know why I’m here now? I said you know why I’m here now?”

Burt Reynolds in “Gator “.

I doubt this little guy would make a wallet let alone boots !

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
N
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
There might be a reason gators were darn near extinct.
Our forefathers took control. Of something was a threat, they
eliminated it. Not sure that's good, or bad.

Kinda like our bears.

When I was young they didn't really exist right here.

By the 80s, some were being seen. That was cool.
In the 90s, guys who really wanted to could kill one over a year or two.
That was cool.

Now? They destroy corn fields, raid cabins, tear up property.
And it's not rare.

Might be just a few too many!

Dillon, I can think of very, very few critters that are easier to catch and kill than are alligators in the wild.

They have proliferated to the point where prices are well depressed from days not too long ago past.

Bears!!
Louisiana has their share of those too with the possibility of a limited , draw, heavily supervised areas hunt for them. Every year several or so are shot by folks thinking that they’re big feral hogs.

Our family place has several that move through regularly so much so that it’s hard to raise a garden of sweet corn. They play hell with deer corn feeders too and they really like pecan orchards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Still no pics

Tick
Tock

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yall is racist. Alligators have been oppressed for hundreds of years. All he needs is a chance.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
Still no pics

Tick
Tock

Could be a while.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Yall is racist. Alligators have been oppressed for hundreds of years. All he needs is a chance.

A whack on the head may save his life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Awe hell Toot, If'n yer gonna be doin' this schit wiff a gator ya'll might as well gets a Pitbull, yer chances would be about the same......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Still no pics

Tick
Tock

Of all things Toot could lie about.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Choot 'em, Troy!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by ltppowell

A whack on the head may save his life.

What I'm thinkin.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Wondering if y’all have seen this before.

I bought a camp recently down in the swamps south of Pierre Part, home of tv’s “Swamp People”. Lots of gators in the area my camp is on an access bayou to the main lakes and bayous areas. The whole greater area is beautiful Spanish moss laden cypress and live oaks

The camp that I bought hasn’t been used in over a year and I’ve had a lot of outside cleaning and work to do, going twice weekly.

For the past 4 visits I’ve had a young gator that’s about 3-4’ long come up and just follow me around while I’m working. He’s not a problem, he’s not aggressive, just seems curious and is almost like a dog following me around. It’s the same gator as he has a chunk missing off the top tip of his tail.

When I go under my cook shed and turn on the floor fan to sip a cool one and rest a bit he comes and lays about 2-3’ away from me and then follows when I get up and go back to work.

I know they’re curious but have never seen this type behavior before.

If he comes back Friday I’m gonna name him Gator McCluskey.

Yes sir,

It sounds like an awesome camp a lot of us would enjoy if we had that same honor.
I've raised a couple of those critters . I've never liked how the gator people series treated the fine animals even though I hunt and eat game. It just seems a little too sensational with no educational benefits to the rest of us who may have opportunity to enjoy those Cyprus rivers.

It varies from gator to gator, much like people, but they can be very intelligent. I've exposed thousands of people to my gators. I followed safety rules so there's never been anyone exposed to any risks. Perhaps some little boy raised him as a baby like they do box turtles around here. Maybe he is just curious and for whatever reason, friendly.
Whatever the reason he's taken a liking to you, this is my opinion.

IF he bothers you, or you are concerned about possible future behavior, you have two good options.

1. Relocate it to a distant waterway far from roads and homes that has plenty of food and little competition from big gators. It might take someone with experience and a gentle hand, like a zoo keeper of a reptile exhibit. Most people that catch gators don't know how to properly do so without killing them or breaking the spine leading to death. Second thought is that this is not a good option.

3. Carry a long straw broom with you. When he approaches, gently shoe it away. Just carefully push it away in the direction you want it to go...back into the closest line to water. If you do this use much caution and I'd wear heavy leather boots just in case..
They are smarter than they look, usually....
It will eventually get the idea and should quit bothering you. Just be consistent and gentle. It'll learn.

If you enjoy it's company and want it around, then treat it like you would any other wild animal. Don't trust it 100%, and keep a broom handle nearby. Don't let grandchildren too close with supervision. Never allow children around it without supervision. Never feed it, or let anyone else feed it. That includes neighbors. The only way you can prevent that is by talking to them about the fact that he adopted you and one thing you'd like is a friendly around instead of a mean one. Teach them how he will get acclimated to being fed if they ever do that or leave meat scraps out....then your friend might have to be destroyed......Remind them occasionally since they might be tempted. Show them how you direct him with the side bristles of a long straw broom. I'd buy them a broom like that if he gets friendly with them too. Teach them by demonstration when he's over there so they can try for themselves supervised the first time. This might prevent a future unfortunate experience with them. You just use it with the bristles to the ground like you were sweeping her away. Keep it between you and it as a barrier and sweep in the direction it should go but extremely sloooow. Be patient. They are more like sleepy basset hounds than a Chihuahua.

Animals and humans CAN live in harmony even if they aren't dogs. My late Dad was extremely blessed by one of my gators. He liked him as much as any dog. That made for some good memories. They both liked each other and spoke to each other. Yes, they communicate. You'll learn the different tones of grunts, hisses, etc. They are very interesting modern day "dinosaurs."

#cliffnotes

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Hes training you. He will have you over for dinner some day.

BTW, hows the squirrel and duck hunting there. I may have to beg for a visit.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Hastings
Someone has been feeding him. While he is small everything will be OK for a while, then you will have to kill him. His brain is very small and concentrates on only one thing besides breeding.

Eat him now while he's young and tender.

Don't be eatin' my lizard.

Well, that was a little gay.......

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Hes training you. He will have you over for dinner some day.

BTW, hows the squirrel and duck hunting there. I may have to beg for a visit.

The duck hunting south of there is supposedly good. Lots of squirrels but you’ll need hip boots for swamp and palmettos. The fishing is excellent and the area for that is unlimited.

You and yours would be welcome anytime Jag. Got a bunch more work that needs doing but I hope to get it completed in several more weeks or ever how long it takes.

Presently keeping an eye peeled for a deal on a Jet ski for the grandsons. Some folks I know have a party barge hanging in their boat house that they’ve used once in 7 years and they pretty much just want it gone so that’s another possible. Lots of folks in this area love their party barges.

It’s coming around.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TF49
Wondering if y’all have seen this before.

I bought a camp recently down in the swamps south of Pierre Part, home of tv’s “Swamp People”. Lots of gators in the area my camp is on an access bayou to the main lakes and bayous areas. The whole greater area is beautiful Spanish moss laden cypress and live oaks

The camp that I bought hasn’t been used in over a year and I’ve had a lot of outside cleaning and work to do, going twice weekly.

For the past 4 visits I’ve had a young gator that’s about 3-4’ long come up and just follow me around while I’m working. He’s not a problem, he’s not aggressive, just seems curious and is almost like a dog following me around. It’s the same gator as he has a chunk missing off the top tip of his tail.

When I go under my cook shed and turn on the floor fan to sip a cool one and rest a bit he comes and lays about 2-3’ away from me and then follows when I get up and go back to work.

I know they’re curious but have never seen this type behavior before.

If he comes back Friday I’m gonna name him Gator McCluskey.

Dog?

Reminds me of an old joke.... Guy goes into this biker bar where the patrons love their pit bulls and rottweilers..... He has a short legged yellow dog on a leash and the bikers immediately start in on him and that "stupid yellow dog" of his....

Guy says wait a minute, "He's tough, bring out your best dog and $100 and we'll see......"

So the bikers bring out this big mean ole Rottie and say "sic'em"...... well, that little yellow dog gave the rottie one big bite and the fight was over..... the bikers are amazed.. they want a dog like that...."What kind is it?"

So the guy collects his $100 and says... "Well, before we cut his tail off and painted him yellow, he was an alligator!"

Good one.

Had a throw away we fed called Buster. He was almost like a 30 lb weiner dog but had a head like a pit but longer normal dog nose. 15 inches high and thick of head and body and he could climb a chain link fence in the blink of an eye.
Had to keep him in the house when my sweet young first pointer Suzie was in the pen in heat.

Big tough mean airedale from down the street kept trying to get to her. Once i, 5th grade, went out to run the bastard off and Buster got out too.

Well, i near died of fright as the fight was on and then over just as fast with Dale hauling ass in a cripple manner.
Didnt see Dale for a week and when i did he was limping around down the street with both front legs bandaged all the way up and over his shoulders.

Dale never came around our place again.

RIP, Buster.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/16/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.