Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
And it set the shoulder back on my cases about .010" more than I needed....with RCBS dies.

Case stretch, of course, was a quick killer of case life.

Then you set it to deep, set the die deeper than needed to chamber in your rifle, do it to see if you can turn it down far enough to see ifn it works..
if the die won't go down any more and it won't cam over either. start over.

Get your cases to chamber if possible don't use em yet, then back off the die just so it chambers, then turn down a bit more.
Check headspace with any kind of device that fits over the neck and butts up about midway on the shoulder, lots of things work for this.

He's got a bolt action, he can set it pretty tight.
I"m with Hanco if I'm having problems like this BS get SB dies. you will like em if you use military brass a lot.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know all that.

What I'm saying is that the "contact and quarter turn" recommended by the manufacturer of the die moved the shoulder back too far. What I simply did after that was use a comparator to measure shoulder set back, giving it about .002" room instead of a quarter-mile. That greatly extended the life. I know the chamber is in spec, I cut it and headspace gauges confirm it. The people who made the dies gave bad information.

When you fire about 2000 rounds a year, you'd like your brass to last, especially .30-06, it's not surplus any more.

I had been doing that for my ARs, both precision and the ones with 5.56 chambers, and the majority of the brass I use in these rifles is Lake City once-fired brass which is of military origin.

My press will cam over, and in no instance have I ever had to go a quarter turn to get the .002" I want, more like just past contact.

The exception may be my .45-70.....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That die setting that moves the shoulders of perfectly good brass 10 thou will fail to move the shoulder of an overstretched piece sufficiently. This is exactly what is being described.

Because springback. Folks tend to think dies move all pieces the same at a particular setting. Not so.

Which leaves you wondering if you need a SB die. So you can move shoulders......probably less. But works the brass more. Which shortens brass life on the good pieces that didn't need a SB die. The overstretched pieces then fit in your gun......great!!........whoops partial separation on first fire???

Cull the overstretched pieces first. Then you won't need a SB die. Then you can use your die to bump shoulders just enough. Then you won't have short brass life.

Last edited by Sam_H; 06/13/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A case gauge can save you a lot of grief by checking your brass. Turn your FL die down 1/4 turn at a time and try chambering the resized case. I've had to do this with once fired brass that was fired in another rifle. Another thing you can try is running your brass through a 45acp carbide die to squeeze the base of the case at the web area.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Sam_H
That die setting that moves the shoulders of perfectly good brass 10 thou will fail to move the shoulder of an overstretched piece sufficiently. This is exactly what is being described.

Because springback. Folks tend to think dies move all pieces the same at a particular setting. Not so.

Which leaves you wondering if you need a SB die. So you can move shoulders......probably less. But works the brass more. Which shortens brass life on the good pieces that didn't need a SB die. The overstretched pieces then fit in your gun......great!!........whoops partial separation on first fire???

Cull the overstretched pieces first. Then you won't need a SB die. Then you can use your die to bump shoulders just enough. Then you won't have short brass life.

Wouldn’t a slightly shorter shell holder do the same as a small base die? I have never used SB dies so I am asking.
One could file or grind down the top to allow shorter case sizing.
I have found there is a lot of difference in shell holder heights even of the same brand, which effects the case sizing.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Originally Posted by Sam_H

Wouldn’t a slightly shorter shell holder do the same as a small base die? I have never used SB dies so I am asking.
I have found there is a lot of difference in shell holder heights even of the same brand, which effects the case sizing.

You can push the case up farther but that will push the shoulder down, you are trying to get the bottom of the case sized.
I have been using SB dies a long time in 223, I reuse cases many times. Check inside web with a paper clip. Don't make to much of SB dies.
Op also uses a BLR all the more reason to get a SB die and be done with it. A BLR needs cases to fit without being tight or it wont cycle.
Also it would be tough to extract a half stuck case in the chamber out in the sticks. In the BLR I would just use new brass with SB die.

Last edited by doubleDs55; 06/13/21.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog

Some shellholders can be ground a bit. Too much and you have a stuck case. Someone on another board found 5 thou was all of it.

SB dies don't necessarily bump the shoulder more, maybe even less due to displacement of brass from below. Dies vary, just like chambers tho. One of my SB dies bumps the shoulder exactly same as the standard FL die. But not more.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I used a black marker on a case and it showed marks about 1/2" up from the base, so the case is bulged. I ordered a small based die and am going to resize them. I used a standard die, and a full length sizing die on every case, still won't load in my rifle. I also trimmed the case length. It obviously is bulged and has spring back from the standard dies. Hopefully the small based die will size them to the minimum tolerance and if there is spring back it will not exceed the maximum tolerance. Will try one more time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good luck to ya. You done right.
It's not unheard of to have to throw some machine gun brass away. If they are blown out that bad you won't trust to fire them anyway.
I had a BLR very nice rifles, the case needs to be sized to minimum specs to give trouble free function.
I have 50 brand new 308 cases to get you started for what I paid, if you need em holler.

Last edited by doubleDs55; 06/15/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what was the fit like for the unsized cases in your chamber?
would they slide in as if you were hand loading a single round?
or hang up partially inserted?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
It must have been machine gun brass. I've never had this problem with any other reloading. I've reloaded thousands of pistol and rifle calibers. I measured and trimmed to proper length, ran through two different sizing dies. I've never had this problem with commercial brass.

Would anneling the cases, then sizing them help?

It's time to take some measurements. Get the SAAMI diagram for .308, and you calipers, and start measuring everything you can, especially on the rounds that won't chamber. You will likely find some dimension that, even after resizing, is larger than SAAMI max cartridge. You will likely have to adjust your sizing setup, or may even have a faulty sizer but that seems unlikely.

If you convince yourself that all dimensions are correct, then you have to contemplate the possibility that some dimension of the chamber is smaller than SAAMI min chamber (which will hold the max cartridge of course). That requires a chamber cast to investigate.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/17/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Get a small base die. I use it on Lake City brass.

+1 on the small base dies. I use it on all my 7.62 reloads. Check the rounds in a Lyman checker block.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

...if I do the "contact shellholder plus one-quarter turn" I may get 3 loadings out of the brass. Using a comparator to set the shoulder back .002" and annealing every third loading, 20 loadings are quite possible.

Similar and I would add that whenever I've had a problem with semi autos, bolts (usually.older Mausers) or single shot rifles it's because I didn't size them correctly. I either full length sized them and push the shoulders back too far or neck sized them and had chambering issues.

To fix my issues, I fully prepped the cases (clean, deprimed, size and trimmed) but when I sized them I did a partial full length size. That mostly fixed my issues for all actions except semi automatics. With those, an ammo checker and or comparer tool has kept me honest. Never had a problem after that.

Sierra Bulletsmiths will tell you (cause they are always telling me) all reloading should be done using a PFLS method.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't think anything about it but reloaded 100 rounds that won't work. AND I crimped the case, so pulling bullets is a pain. I have 300 more cases, but will only try to drop the empty cases in my bolt gun and if it closes and chambers and ejects them, I know they will work. It is time consuming, but hate to waste 300 rounds of brass.

I'm going to try the kinetic bullet puller on the others, as the die puller just will not work. Hate to waste the bullets (fmj) and powder. worse case will use a copper tubing cutter to destroy the cases to get the powder and try to get the bullets out, maybe with a Drimmil tool after cutting them open.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
The only time I have needed a small base sizer die was for .308 military brass that I had acquired to feed my son's FAL. Using a regular sizing die did not work, so I tried a small base die that a cousin had bought for use in a .308 lever rifle. It took well lubed cases and a lot of pressure, but the cases came out useable and have not needed the small base die ever again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
@dixie_Dude I use the RCBS Collet bullet puller. To me it's a lot less fustrating than pounding the crud out of the kinetic. I also break the crimp first using a seating die (seat to loaded round than back out one full turn if the die; seat the stem on the bullet and add 1/8 of a turn). Breaking the crimp makes it easier to pull.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the tip on the small based die. Got it in and worked some through. Some were really hard so I worked them, re-lubed and worked them in again until I could work them all the way in and out a couple of times. Anyway, they load fine in my rifle now.

I have a RCBS Collet bullet puller. I'm not sure what you mean HaYen? Seat the loaded round in seating die first? Are you saying push the bullet in more, then it will come out?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Thanks for the tip on the small based die. Got it in and worked some through. Some were really hard so I worked them, re-lubed and worked them in again until I could work them all the way in and out a couple of times. Anyway, they load fine in my rifle now.

I have a RCBS Collet bullet puller. I'm not sure what you mean HaYen? Seat the loaded round in seating die first? Are you saying push the bullet in more, then it will come out?

Yes push the bullet in a bit with yer seating die before trying to take the bullet out, it breaks the grip of the case on the crimp. Then pull the bullet.
ESP. if using a hammer puller.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,896
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.