Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
I seem to recall there was once a "sub 'fire" titled "Religion" or some such thing. Ya know a place for the believers to chat. Whatever happened to it?

The competition for "Official Campfire Preacher" got too bloody and Bin schidt canned it.
These types can't tolerate anyone who disagrees with their parochial "one true religion".

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As mentioned, your life to live as you choose. I do expect to be held accountable for whether or not I share my faith. What another does with the info is on them, not me. FWIW, I know a number of clergymen. None are rich. Typically, they are pretty high functioning people who serve others way out of proportion to their pay.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It's not the clergy man who gets rich. It is the ones at the top living like kings.

All that gold did not migrate to the Vatican on its own.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
All I can find between the covers of the Bible is myth and propaganda invented by a Priesthood to keep that Priesthood fat, wealthy, and well laid.
Point taken. But the earliest followers of Jesus didn’t have the Bible. The Jewish scriptures were not combined with the New Testament documents until about 350 years after the birth of Jesus. It took Constantine becoming the emperor and having the wealth and the influence to allow the scribes and the scholars to gather these documents, and put them together in what would eventually be called the Bible.

During the time between the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, and the time that Constantine became the emperor of Rome, Christianity grew and gained influence. And these were the persecution years. Constantine reportedly didn’t embrace Christianity because he was all that interested in becoming a Christian personally. He embraced Christianity to unify the empire. The significance of that is staggering. He had to find something that most people in the empire already had in common, and it wasn’t the Roman gods anymore. And this was due to the significant spread of Christianity in the most difficult years.

Christianity made its greatest strides...when Christians faced tremendous hardship...during the 300 or so years before the Bible ever even existed. Christianity grew from the time of Jesus to the time of Constantine not on the back of “the Bible says.” Before the Jewish scriptures and the New Testament documents were combined and titled “the Bible”, Christianity had already replaced the pantheon of Roman, Barbarian, and most Egyptian gods, and was the state religion for the Roman Empire...before anyone ever held the Bible in their hands.

And it would be close to the invention of the printing press before anyone...unless one was a priest...ever held the Bible in their hands. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century Christians didn’t choose to follow Jesus because of an infallible OT or a non-contradicting NT. They were followers of Jesus because He rose from the dead. For the first 300 years, the focus was centered on an event, not on a book. Is wasn’t “is the Bible true”...it was “did Jesus rise from the dead”...? And Matthew said He did, and so did Mark, and John, and Peter, and James...and then a fire-breathing Pharisee named Paul, who was was gonna put the Jesus movement out of business, becomes a raving fan and dedicated his life to taking the Gospel of Jesus to the Gentiles all over the Roman world.

There’s no explanation for the success of the church if Jesus hadn’t risen from the dead. The success of the church wasn’t the Bible; there was no Bible. The success of the church was totally due to eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ resurrection. Fortunately those who were closest to the event, those who were eyewitnesses of the event, documented it. But they didn’t document what they believed, they documented what they saw.

So if people step away because the Bible doesn’t add up, or for any other reason due to the Bible itself...there is another thing to maybe reconsider...the focus really isn’t the Bible. The focus really is, and always has been, Jesus’ resurrection. Christianity didn’t disrupt the Roman Empire because of the Bible; Christianity disrupted the Roman Empire because of a resurrected Savior.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's not the clergy man who gets rich. It is the ones at the top living like kings.

All that gold did not migrate to the Vatican on its own.

Can’t argue with that, Men have done lots of bad things while using God’s name as cover. I kinda doubt those guys get to see your grandma, either. Jesus’ #2 commandment was for us to love our neighbors as ourselves. While we’re saved by faith and not by works , this still provides a “smell test” for the things we see around us.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antlers
All I can find between the covers of the Bible is myth and propaganda invented by a Priesthood to keep that Priesthood fat, wealthy, and well laid.
Point taken. But the earliest followers of Jesus didn’t have the Bible. The Jewish scriptures were not combined with the New Testament documents until about 350 years after the birth of Jesus. It took Constantine becoming the emperor and having the wealth and the influence to allow the scribes and the scholars to gather these documents, and put them together in what would eventually be called the Bible.

During the time between the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, and the time that Constantine became the emperor of Rome, Christianity grew and gained influence. And these were the persecution years. Constantine reportedly didn’t embrace Christianity because he was all that interested in becoming a Christian personally. He embraced Christianity to unify the empire. The significance of that is staggering. He had to find something that most people in the empire already had in common, and it wasn’t the Roman gods anymore. And this was due to the significant spread of Christianity in the most difficult years.

Christianity made its greatest strides...when Christians faced tremendous hardship...during the 282 years before the Bible ever even existed. Christianity grew from the time of Jesus to the time of Constantine not on the back of “the Bible says.” Before the Jewish scriptures and the New Testament documents were combined and titled “the Bible”, Christianity had already replaced the pantheon of Roman, Barbarian, and most Egyptian gods, and was the state religion for the Roman Empire...before anyone ever held the Bible in their hand.

And it would be close to the invention of the printing press before anyone...unless one was a priest...ever held the Bible in their hands. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd century Christians didn’t choose to follow Jesus because of an infallible OT or a non-contradicting NT. They were followers of Jesus because He rose from the dead. For the first 300 years, the focus was centered on an event, not on a book. Is wasn’t “is the Bible true”...it was “did Jesus rise from the dead”...? And Matthew said He did, and so did Mark, and John, and Peter, and James...and then a fire-breathing Pharisee named Paul, who was was gonna put the Jesus movement out of business, becomes a raving fan and dedicated his life to taking the Gospel of Jesus to the Gentiles all over the Roman world.

There’s no explanation for the success of the church if Jesus hadn’t risen from the dead. The success of the church wasn’t the Bible; there was no Bible. The success of the church was totally due to eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ resurrection. Fortunately those who were closest to the event, those who were eyewitnesses of the event, documented it. But they didn’t document what they believed, they documented what they saw.

So if people step away because the Bible doesn’t add up, or for any other reason due to the Bible itself...there is another thing to maybe reconsider...the focus really isn’t the Bible. The focus really is, and always has been, Jesus’ resurrection. Christianity didn’t disrupt the Roman Empire because of the Bible; Christianity disrupted the Roman Empire because of a resurrected Savior.

Very well written.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
antlers is by far the most knowledgeable, reasonable, and persuasive member of the Campfire Christian Debate Society.
Hell, I think if I read enough of his posts I might be converted.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
antlers is by far the most knowledgeable, reasonable, and persuasive member of the Campfire Christian Debate Society.

Agreed.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

That promise was for your grandmother as well as for you.

In spite of our differences over the past, I hope that you will see her some day. That is a very real promise from Genesis and repeated in more details and clarity as the Bible unfolds.

The promise of everlasting life with the Lord is offered to who quit trying to be good enough for heaven and simply decide to believe part B.

Then the last sentence is...
"Wherefore comfort one another with these words." 18

This comfort applies to all who know that none of us deserves anything but condemnation. " There's none righteous, no not one."

One of my very few regrets in this life is that I was unable to lie and tell Grandma that I expected to see her again.

Those words would have made her gloriously happy. But I could NOT lie to her.

Too bad. You are living proof, you not lying, because.you will not see her in heaven.

We will tell her hi for you.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I catch 'It", for being a United Methodist. laugh
Yep. I imagine. Too bad you arent a regular old Bible believing Christian.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Agreed.

🦫

Both of you may find “The History of The Bible “ an interesting read. The author is Mark Taylor and it parallels what Antlers has laid out here.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

That promise was for your grandmother as well as for you.

In spite of our differences over the past, I hope that you will see her some day. That is a very real promise from Genesis and repeated in more details and clarity as the Bible unfolds.

The promise of everlasting life with the Lord is offered to who quit trying to be good enough for heaven and simply decide to believe part B.

Then the last sentence is...
"Wherefore comfort one another with these words." 18

This comfort applies to all who know that none of us deserves anything but condemnation. " There's none righteous, no not one."

One of my very few regrets in this life is that I was unable to lie and tell Grandma that I expected to see her again.

Those words would have made her gloriously happy. But I could NOT lie to her.

Don’t sweat the small stuff, IS. As long as someone draws a breath, they are not lost. Salvation is a lot more simple than the sages will let on. The gift is there for anyone to accept. I hope you make the right choice. Then give our best to your grandma.

This. But, as the scripture from His word in the Bibleb and connected in the above video, all.believers arent saved in the first rapture and some will have to experience the tribulation.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EdM
I seem to recall there was once a "sub 'fire" titled "Religion" or some such thing. Ya know a place for the believers to chat. Whatever happened to it?

You seem to recall that quite often, Ed.

Sorry, that thread is dead.

Maybe just assume the title correct. For the BELIEVERS

Sorry for the inconvenience and discomfort the thread entailed.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Agreed.

🦫

Both of you may find “The History of The Bible “ an interesting read. The author is Mark Taylor and it parallels what Antlers has laid out here.

Whoa, Toots, I got my fill of religion from my youth, sitting on pews listening to Southern Baptist lighting the pyres I would eventually be burning upon, if I didn’t change my ways.

Antlers, to me, has a genuine way of expressing his life, without making others feel lesser than for believing in scripture or not.

Just a solid dude.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Amen.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antlers

Christianity made its greatest strides...when Christians faced tremendous hardship...during the 300 or so years before the Bible ever even existed. Christianity grew from the time of Jesus to the time of Constantine not on the back of “the Bible says.” Before the Jewish scriptures and the New Testament documents were combined and titled “the Bible”, Christianity had already replaced the pantheon of Roman, Barbarian, and most Egyptian gods, and was the state religion for the Roman Empire...before anyone ever held the Bible in their hands.

Excellent summation, sir!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I'm going to get off topic a bit. I see post that seem to imply the discussion of the Bible is not exactly welcome here and the words separation of church and state mentioned. I'd like to point something out. Many of you post as if you hate the direction our nation is going. I do myself and I lay that at the feet of people like biden, pelosi, obama, the clintons and others. We hate liberalism. As well we should as it is ruining the future of this nation. Some of you that share that belief don't like religion. That's you business but keep in mind the conservative Bible believing church hates this attempt to convert our nation as much as you do. These same people that want to destroy our nation are the loudest at claiming the separation of church and state. My point is lets not let the enemy divide us as good patriotic Americans. Lets stand up and fight them.

Here is a link about the separation between church and state.
Church-state This is not a law nor in the Constitution, but an opinion of a couple of the founders, but it is considered the right thing to keep Government out of religion, not Religious people from being in Government. Many countries in the past had State Religions and our founders wanted to keep that out on the US. Hence the part of the 1st amendment about making no laws concerning religion. Many seem to think it is the other way around, either from ignorance or just from having an agenda. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I'm going to get off topic a bit. I see post that seem to imply the discussion of the Bible is not exactly welcome here and the words separation of church and state mentioned. I'd like to point something out. Many of you post as if you hate the direction our nation is going. I do myself and I lay that at the feet of people like biden, pelosi, obama, the clintons and others. We hate liberalism. As well we should as it is ruining the future of this nation. Some of you that share that belief don't like religion. That's you business but keep in mind the conservative Bible believing church hates this attempt to convert our nation as much as you do. These same people that want to destroy our nation are the loudest at claiming the separation of church and state. My point is lets not let the enemy divide us as good patriotic Americans. Lets stand up and fight them.

Here is a link about the separation between church and state.
Church-state This is not a law nor in the Constitution, but an opinion of a couple of the founders, but it is considered the right thing to keep Government out of religion, not Religious people from being in Government. Many countries in the past had State Religions and our founders wanted to keep that out on the US. Hence the part of the 1st amendment about making no laws concerning religion. Many seem to think it is the other way around, either from ignorance or just from having an agenda. miles

Thanks for the link, Miles.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nuttzzz.....

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I catch 'It", for being a United Methodist. laugh
Yep. I imagine. Too bad you arent a regular old Bible believing Christian.

laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 52 invisible), 12,062 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,644
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.