Hop To
Page 37 of 201 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 200 201
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by swiftshot
I took my Ruger Lott-the one with the Krieger and the soldered on open sights to the range again for a final 50yd zero test.It shot right in the bullseye and is ready for a 3 day bear hunt next week.I am using a light load of 67grs H4895 behind a 550gr Woodleigh soft.If I shoot the bear I will post a pic on this thread of bear and all in celebration of the 458 Lott.

Ah, yes, I remember that rifle well, from the anchor baby's website.
It is a Ruger RSM .458 Lott that was possibly scrubbed into a smoothbore, hence the Krieger barrel.
swiftshot = shootaway
How was that done ? Got rid of the recoil plate contraption and put a Remington-style-washer primary recoil lug between Krieger barrel and action,
and a secondary lug on the barrel ?
I don't recall if that was ever explained.
But I do recall that the screwed on sights had to be soldered after they loosened.
I just wonder if swiftshot is going to leave the barrel fouled after the zero check, before his bear hunt,
or will he give it a good scrubbing with JB paste ?

67 grains of H4895 with a 550-gr Woodleigh in the .458 Lott is 1 grain less powder than the starting load for a .458 WinMag.
No worries, H4895 is approved for reduced loads down to 60% of the maximum load for the cartridge.
swiftshot can go down to 46.2 grains of H4895.
I would recommend he use a filler with his reduced load in the .458 Lott.
There is going to be more than 0.3" height of air space over the powder, with 67 grains of H4895 in the .458 Lott.
68 grains of H4895 is not compressed in the SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum with 550-gr Woodleigh RNSN.

Q: What would the .458 Winchester Magnum say to the .458 Lott if cartridges could talk, as if brother to brother ?

A: "If hating me helps you hate yourself less, then I am there for you. That's what family is for."

Now that was funny as heck! laugh

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
beretzs,

Buy a donkey for the Crusade. With your keen appreciation for humor, knighthood may be in your future.
That line about the .458 Winchester Magnum always being there to ease the self hate of the .458 Lott was stolen from the TV series YELLOWSTONE.
More like strong brother (.458 WinMag) comforting his weak sister (.458 Lott).

About swiftshot scrapping the integral quarter rib of an RSM .458 Lott for a Krieger barrel and a Remington-washer-type recoil lug:
That qualifies as some kind of hate crime !

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

Rifle posed with trash to properly reflect collector value of that .458 Lott Ex-RSM.
I have a .416 Rigby RSM I shot my first cape buffalo with, superbly accurate from the factory.
To treat it like swiftshot did to his .458 Lott would be like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A more interesting rifle and ammo by Sir Jerry. He ain't dead !
Notice the high class Bagwell Bowie drawing attention and pointing to the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is the elephant-whisperer 500-gr TBSS with 83 grains of AA-2460 for +2350 fps from the 24" JES barrel,
and the buffalo-whisperer 450-gr TSX with same powder charge for a tropical +2400 fps from same rifle belonging to Sir Jerry.
Sir Bob's charge of 84 grains of H335 will do the same.
All loads well under 3.6" COL.
The 450-grain TSX will still be well over 1800 fps considerably past 300 yards.
I consider 1600 fps adequate for expansion with that bullet.
That is surely a 300-yard elk, bison, and eland load.
Good for any bear, buffalo or lion at proper DG range.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you know what you are doing you don't need a recoil lug on the barrel.By that I mean tightening and locking your guard screws.If you don't you will crack the stock.How many stocks have you cracked, Riflecrank? But you still have not learned and have to use an ugly rifle.

Last edited by swiftshot; 06/23/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff Sir Ron, many Thanks for posting the pics, i separated and assigned 110 sticks of old WW-Super brass to the 458 Win Mag+, the brass in the basket was just full length resized and trimmed to 2.495 inch, after de-burring and tumbling Fed-215 primers were sunk in all cases, both loads were below 2.565" overall length, they go in and out of the magazine and chamber like greased glass.

A funny thought occurred at the bench after loading 50 rounds of the 500gr TBSS at 2350+ fps, i could spend a lifetime of wages simply hunting elephants with those 50 rounds alone, the 450gr TSX's at 2418 fps landing +3 at 100, zero at 200, and 10 inches down at 300 would indeed handle any large plains game, elk, moose, big bear, etc to 300 yards, they're still packing north of 1850 fps at that range, both loads took 83gr AA-2460 powder.

I loaded the belly with 500gr TBS solids and one 450 TSX, strapped on the Saint Bagwell Damascus Bowie and a little bobtail Commander in 45 ACP, had a nice walk up the mountain to check the water level on a new pond i had built for the critters that reside there, the rifle carries great and points lightning fast, it'll be fun hunting that one in Africa, any plains game to 300 with the scope, and buffalo up close with the irons after a couple quick twist of the Talley lever rings.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

shootaway,

Thanks for the laughs, intentional or not.
You are the archetypal Lottite.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,

AA-2460 is my favorite for tropical loads with 480-grainers.
The Western Powders data showed AA-2460 gives higher velocity with lower pressure than AA-2230 with 500-gr Hornady RNSN.
That was with 74.0 grains AA-2460 at 3.305" COL, 24" barrel, F-215 primer, WIN case, 2192 fps, 52,864 psi, minimally compressed.
Compare that to 72.0 grains AA-2230 at 3.305" COL, 24" barrel, F-215 primer, WIN case, 2159 fps, 53,808 psi, no compression.
Over 2400 fps with 450-gr TSX at no more than 3.57" COL is a winner, using AA-2460.
No need to worry about pressure in tropical climates.
Lower pressure than same load in a .458 Lott with 2.8" brass:

The .458 Lott brass has to be trimmed to 2.760" to allow seating of the 450-gr TSX within the SAAMI spec COL of 3.600" using the front cannelure,
which is positioned to optimize the .458 Winchester Magnum.
Barnes Bullets' Mama didn't raise any fools.

When the .458 WM and .458 Lott are loaded to the same COL, the .458 Winchester Magnum wins.
Either higher velocity or lower pressure, or a little bit of both.
THROAT THROAT THROAT.

I will be shooting both of Sir Jerry's loads in my 24" Ruger barrel next time out with the .458 WM+.
Then try them in that 23" McGowen that is a little tighter in the groove.
Don't really need any more velocity than that.

Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
I see Midway has Accurate 2230 and 2460 in stock. Midsouth has Accurate 2460 and 5744 in stock. May be of interest to a few of you.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I believe those loads will serve us and any others that want to try them very well Sir Ron, had the hots for AA-2230 for a long while to put under the 450gr TSX's, but, could never find any, now, in the interest of simplicity and 'not' worrying about the extra 50+ fps i'll happily live with lower pressure using AA-2460 for both loads in the 458 WM+.......plus, old powder buddy has me two pounds of AA-2460 stashed, i'll grab t in town Friday.

A small world indeed Sir Ron, i too have an RSM in 416 Rigby, bought it in the early to mid 90's, first thing i did was take it to 'Smith and have him full length steel bed everything from tang to forearm tip to bottom metal, i must have fired two thousand rounds out of that rifle dreaming of Africa, 'Smith said i completely roasted and blew the throat out of the rifle, it and a 50-90 Sharps are the only two rifles i've ever owned that have whisker burns on the side of the buttstocks! grin

If you dare, or have interest, i could send you a pic of what that fin rifle has become ; ]

BTW, if i have a buddy with a 458 Lott, and he could chamber one of my 500gr TBSS at 2350+ fps, would that load be safe for his rifle? or too hot? thanks.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Hannay
I see Midway has Accurate 2230 and 2460 in stock. Midsouth has Accurate 2460 and 5744 in stock. May be of interest to a few of you.

Thanks for the tips Sir Hannay.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500

... If you dare, or have interest, i could send you a pic of what that fin rifle has become ; ]

Pics of your .416 Rigby RSM would warm the cockles of my heart.
Buzz Charlton had one he wore all the blue off of with his hands and the wood finish off with his whiskers, guiding elephant hunters.
Might also give swiftshot some pointers on how to show some respect.
Red Loc-Tite on the action screws does not a bedding job make.

BTW, if i have a buddy with a 458 Lott, and he could chamber one of my 500gr TBSS at 2350+ fps, would that load be safe for his rifle? or too hot? thanks.

[Linked Image]

Your .458 WM+ loads with .458 WM brass will not be safe in your buddy's .458 Lott.
He will not be able to equal them unless he runs a SAAMI .458 WM reamer into his chamber up to a stop at the belt.

Then he will have a .458 Lott Like Jack Built, capable of equaling the mighty .458 Winchester Magnum,
QUITE UNLIKE THE SAAMI .458 LOTT OF SWIFTSHOT'S FANTASIES:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who needs AA-2230 if he has some AA-2460 and can load to 3.6" COL with the long-enough bullets ?
Oh, yeah, AA-2230 might be gooder with varmint bullets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Hannay,
You are now "entitled."
Sir Jerry has tapped you on the shoulder with his Bagwell Bowie.
Congratulations on your Knighthood in the Crusade for Truth.
Saint Bagwell has left his chair at the Round Table, and it is leaned forward against the table, open in memoriam.
Take your pick of the seats we have left.
Congratulations on your immediate success.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, more good work indeed Sir Ron, i'll tell bud about the reamer, he still doesn't believe the speeds i'm getting with 500 grains in my 458 WM+

I told him to go buy two new Ruger #1's, one in 458 WM, the other in 458 Lott, if i couldn't kick his ass using rifles on the same platform i'd buy them both from him plus give him a grand, no word yet! wink

I'll send you a couple pics in a bit of the old RSM that was a fine 416 Rigby

OOPS, i thought Sir Hannay had already been knighted, i may not possess the seniority for knighting yet.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, more good work indeed Sir Ron, i'll tell bud about the reamer, he still doesn't believe the speeds i'm getting with 500 grains in my 458 WM+

That 500-gr TBSS is ideal for a .458 WM+.
Slick bronze jacket with a cannelure in the right place and a thick FN.
Bonded lead core, short length for weight.
Low pressure for foot-lbs realizable and all fitting nicely inside a 3.6" box.

I told him to go buy two new Ruger #1's, one in 458 WM, the other in 458 Lott, if i couldn't kick his ass using rifles on the same platform i'd buy them both from him plus give him a grand, no word yet! wink

That is a superb version of Cowboy Poker right there !
That is an offer that every Lottite should receive.

I'll send you a couple pics in a bit of the old RSM that was a fine 416 Rigby

Great !

OOPS, i thought Sir Hannay had already been knighted, i may not possess the seniority for knighting yet.

Perfectly cricket, for a Knight to Knight another, as long as Sir Hannay acknowledges acceptance.
We sit at a Round Table after all, one for all and all for one, and that one is King .458 Winchester Magnum.
Sir Hannay has got to want it ...
And we can always get a bigger table than the twelve-seater.
We do have a roll call coming up, will see if Sir Hannay accepts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry has a tip for swiftshot.
Got a shot-out Ruger RSM ?
This is a lot better than rebarreling to .458 Lott: Rebore to .505 Gibbs:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am guessing that .416 Rigby of Sir Jerry was a Gen-2 with 24"-long, "heavy" barrel
having muzzle diameter under the front sight band of 0.810", same as my late 1990's .416 Rigby.
Perfect barrel profile for a .505 Gibbs.
Since he shot "thousands" of 400-grainers at 2700 fps to erode the throat,
he gets a gold star for putting the integral quarter rib to further use, instead of scrapping it like swiftshot !
I would love to find a .375 H&H Gen-3 RSM with the 23"-long, 0.750" muzzle diameter, factory barrel
and have it rebored for a .458 WM+ with integral quarter rib !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To paraphrase what Mother Theresa said about people, some rifle cartridges are a blessing and others are a lesson.
A blessing: The SAAMI .458 Winchester Magnum.
A lesson: The SAAMI .458 Lott.

swiftshot should consider this throwdown by Sir Jerry to his Lottite acquaintance:

"I told him to go buy two new Ruger #1's, one in 458 WM, the other in 458 Lott, if i couldn't kick his ass using rifles on the same platform i'd buy them both from him plus give him a grand, no word yet!"

Some people are a blessin' and some need a lesson.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My sights are better than the original ones.The sight insert is especially fitted to the sight base and needs to be drifted with a soft hammer and a soft metal piece to adjust windage.No glue is needed to hold it in place and the cheap screws on the original sights are worthless.The sights you see in the pic are only found on twenty thousand dollar rifles and that is if you are lucky and insist on them.I don't chicken out and use telescopes on my beautiful rifles-I get the job done the way it should be.I sometimes have to fight with smiths who hate me for this.

Last edited by swiftshot; 06/25/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thankfully, the lesson will usually open his mouth and remove all doubt about his subspecies of Homo sapiens.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Hannay,
You are now "entitled."
Sir Jerry has tapped you on the shoulder with his Bagwell Bowie.
Congratulations on your Knighthood in the Crusade for Truth.
Saint Bagwell has left his chair at the Round Table, and it is leaned forward against the table, open in memoriam.
Take your pick of the seats we have left.
Congratulations on your immediate success.

Thanks Sir Ron. Now, if I can get recovered from rotator cuff surgery, I hope I'll be able start shooting the 458 again!

Page 37 of 201 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 200 201

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.