Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We usually go for the battle anniversary because it falls on my wife’s birthday.
It was least people I ever saw. Sad it looked dead. Many businesses were closed permanently. Sad and really shocking.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Only been there once. Lot's of history. Informative to drive and follow the battle as it unfolded.

I hope many of the monuments erected to remember the Confederate soldiers haven't been removed.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Terryk
We usually go for the battle anniversary because it falls on my wife’s birthday.
It was least people I ever saw. Sad it looked dead. Many businesses were closed permanently. Sad and really shocking.

Snowflakes don't even know it exists.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gay flags were popular in some businesses.
Put money in a meter and it expired, 40 dollar ticket.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
40?!?!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow.

That's about 4 x the max I'd expect.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Burgers and beer lunch cost 100 bucks with the ticket.
We usually go in august for peaches and a couple days. Really thinking someplace else. Bedford also has good peaches.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We visited two weeks ago.
We usually spend a couple days every summer, but last year they had most things shut down because of the scamdemic, so we skipped it.
The trip kinda sprang on me, and I didn’t have time to hunt my books up, and I was pretty miserable with a pinched nerve in my back. Between not having my guides and being crippled up, I just wasn’t firing on all my cylinders. I love to walk around, and we usually go on a ghost walk, but it killed me trying to walk. I more or less just drove around and told her the stories off the top of my head. I’m evidently rubbing off on her, because she loves the place too! smile
Actually, I thought the town itself seemed sorta crowded, and as usual, Little Round Top & Devil’s Den was lousy with people.
General Pickett’s Buffet was closed temporarily, The Avenue Restaurant is now Mia’s House of Noodles, and a large number of people have no clue how to go through a traffic circle! eek For crying out loud, they were two and three cars wide! They scared me, and I used to race on dirt tracks! crazy
Hopefully, we’ll be able to hit it again once the crowds die down and the weather is cooler. Unfortunately this trip wasn’t up to snuff.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said, there’s a couple books that I try to take on every visit.
Stories of Men and Monuments . A handy tool full of information and stories about all the Monuments placed on the Battlefield.
Silent Sentinels . If you’re a gun nut like me, you’ll love this book/guide to the artillery guns that populate the field.
I bet you a coffee or a beer that they’ll make the next visit better.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 07/02/21.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Awesome place to see-- hope they don't screw it up

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't live too far away so I go there quite a bit. I do try to avoid July 1, 2, and 3 though

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
On my list of things to see. When I was a kid my grandmothers cousin lived just up the road and was in his 90s. Still sharp and I loved listening to his stories about the old days. Didn't find out until a few years after he died that his dad was in Picketts charge. Would have loved to have gotten a 2nd hand account

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Terryk

Snowflakes don't even know it exists.

If the South would have won there, the “Woke” snowflake crowd would be calling for it to be bulldozed, nowadays.

Guess I’ll never make it back to that part of the country. I regret not going there when I was close. Lost some family members there.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/02/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
On my list of things to see. When I was a kid my grandmothers cousin lived just up the road and was in his 90s. Still sharp and I loved listening to his stories about the old days. Didn't find out until a few years after he died that his dad was in Picketts charge. Would have loved to have gotten a 2nd hand account

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kellywk

That would have been cool. My paternal Grandmother’s Grandfather was there. Lost his leg there. She said he never spoke of it.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
2 of my great great grandfathers were there july 3 19th va infantry Garnett’s brigade Pickett’s charge both made it back some how they can tear down all the statues they want to but if either of them hadn’t made it back across that field I wouldn’t be here today and that I am proud of ironically they both had the same first and middle name William Henry

Last edited by earlybrd; 07/02/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

That would have been cool. My paternal Grandmother’s Grandfather was there. Lost his leg there. She said he never spoke of it.

I imagine most didn't talk about it. I knew grandpa was in the pacific in wwii but he never talked about battles, just guys he knew and the camaraderie. Year a two ago my son had to do a school report on a veteran so we researched his ship and found out it was sunk and they spent several days in life boats. Pawpaw never mentioned that

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dess
Only been there once. Lot's of history. Informative to drive and follow the battle as it unfolded.

I hope many of the monuments erected to remember the Confederate soldiers haven't been removed.

If the woke crowd goes after the battlefield memorials that will be a real travesty.

I have a lot of great memories wondering Gettysburg and Antietam. I liked wondering Antietam a bit more. So many miles spent there!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being from the west I didnt have much exposure to the Civil war and all its history. Was in WV on a business trip and took wife along, that was about 15 years ago. We went up and visited Gettysburg and it was really impressive. Also on one of my business trips visited DC and all the memorials. Arlington was really a sobering visit to see graves as far as you could see in any direction.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I imagine most didn't talk about it. I knew grandpa was in the pacific in wwii but he never talked about battles, just guys he knew and the camaraderie. Year a two ago my son had to do a school report on a veteran so we researched his ship and found out it was sunk and they spent several days in life boats. Pawpaw never mentioned that

The one I mentioned above lost two older brothers there.

One of my Grandfather’s hit the Beach at Omaha. Never mentioned it once.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/02/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,647
Posts18,493,344
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.