Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Met our new neighbor yesterday . Seemed to be a nice enough chap but when I asked what his line of work was (corrections ) got all squinty eyed and big chested .his brother is a CO as well and displayed the same body language .

WTF ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends if you ask a corrections guy or a cop!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sort of.....

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Depends if you ask a corrections guy or a cop!

This guy is strictly a jailer . No donuts in the car type.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They think they are.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No they aren’t.. I know guys that gone through the Alaska DOC academy and the Instructors tell them they are not LEO.. They have no jurisdiction outside the prison fence.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes and no IMHO. Know

In prison they have authority under the system.
Unless it changed, in WV you aren't required to attend the academy to be a jail or prison guard. I've known lots of them who never claimed to be cops. Most were/ are normal enough.
The academies try to brainwash the weak minded ones into thinking they are special and elitists, not really"civilians" but a class of higher esteem. Then the others are regular guys that stay humble in spite of the training and Google eyed cashiers at Sheetz as they race 100 mph to cash in on their free coffee and crispy cream. That won't offend the LEOs here because they're all humble regular folks. Some places they'll throw your butt in prison for not answering their questions quickly enough.

In WV there was a guard who was beaten close to death with a pipe for no good reason: this done
by a 6'7-6'10 prison yard, dark brown body builder, career violent felon. The County LEOs demanded that they interrogate the guard while in the emergency room while bleeding out of flesh with long bones sticking out in wrong directions. They guys trying to hold down screams while I'm looking for a warm blanket. The County uniforms swagger in and ask where he is and were told they'd have to wait and ask the doctor if his patient was able to do so at that time. The small minded heathen trash LEOs threatened to question him immediately or they would arrest the person.
The department could clearly care less about the guard.
On the other hand, one of their deputies needlessly died in a car pursuit. That guy was honored with a many miles procession from police all over the state a huge funeral in the biggest church and fan t shirts sold by the hundreds.
Yes many LEOs are decent and many are pure trash that need to spend time with the pipe toting bubba's In the cage fight to gain a little humility like the guard suffered.
To answer your question..... there's a distinction, but some regard prison guards as law enforcement officers.

I liked the Andy Griffiths better than the new academy grads since I grew up knowing a few and still do.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 07/08/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Corrections officer I know says they are to be first responders if necessary, but are NOT law enforcement.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
No, not in California. Now, Investigative officers of the Dept of Corrections are sworn peace officers, but garden variety corrections officers are not. County corrections people can be, depending on the county, many northern counties designate them as peace officers and give them the training required. As said above, a lot of them play it to the hilt and try to run a bluff. State guards have a bad rep...all that dope in the prisons, it wasn't parachuted in or baked in a cake, it came in the employees entrance.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Police officers (cops), Peace officers (court, corrections.

Police officers can serve warrants, Peace officers can't.

There are Federal Peace officers & State Peace officers.

Both are considered Law Enforcement.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Yes and no IMHO. Know

In prison they have authority under the system.
Unless it changed, in WV you aren't required to attend the academy to be a jail or prison guard. I've known lots of them who never claimed to be cops. Most were/ are normal enough.
The academies try to brainwash the weak minded ones into thinking they are special and elitists, not really"civilians" but a class of higher esteem. Then the others are regular guys that stay humble in spite of the training and Google eyed cashiers at Sheetz as they race 100 mph to cash in on their free coffee and crispy cream. That won't offend the LEOs here because they're all humble regular folks. Some places they'll throw your butt in prison for not answering their questions quickly enough.

In WV there was a guard who was beaten close to death with a pipe for no good reason: this done
by a 6'7-6'10 prison yard, dark brown body builder, career violent felon. The County LEOs demanded that they interrogate the guard while in the emergency room while bleeding out of flesh with long bones sticking out in wrong directions. They guys trying to hold down screams while I'm looking for a warm blanket. The County uniforms swagger in and ask where he is and were told they'd have to wait and ask the doctor if his patient was able to do so at that time. The small minded heathen trash LEOs threatened to question him immediately or they would arrest the person.
The department could clearly care less about the guard.
On the other hand, one of their deputies needlessly died in a car pursuit. That guy was honored with a many miles procession from police all over the state a huge funeral in the biggest church and fan t shirts sold by the hundreds.
Yes many LEOs are decent and many are pure trash that need to spend time with the pipe toting bubba's In the cage fight to gain a little humility like the guard suffered.
To answer your question..... there's a distinction, but some regard prison guards as law enforcement officers.

I liked the Andy Griffiths better than the new academy grads since I grew up knowing a few and still do.

Did you take your meds today?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My FFL guy is an LEO.........

we meet often......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Geno67
They think they are.

Yep. Mostly just babysitters, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes they are.

Some Sherriffs run the local jails and the jailers are deputies.

Working the jail is often the chit job for new deputies.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Federal Government says they are.

Last edited by reivertom; 07/08/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Sheriffs Dept I did patrol for, the Jail deputies must be POST certified as they are authorized to carry a firearm. Most places in the Detention Center did not allow firearms for obvious reasons but going to and from work were required to carry a firearm and encouraged to carry off duty. They also attended the monthly trainings alongside patrol deputies. DC deputies had to drive their private vehicles to work in full uniform while patrol had take home squads! Many DC deputies would transfer to patrol but approximately 90% didn’t make it through FTO and transferred back to the DC!

Elk Country

Last edited by elkcountry; 07/08/21.

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do they swear an oath?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Met our new neighbor yesterday . Seemed to be a nice enough chap but when I asked what his line of work was (corrections ) got all squinty eyed and big chested his brother is a CO as well and displayed the same body language .

WTF ?

Sounds like newby and big headed. Beware.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Do they swear an oath?

Yep.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by reivertom
The Federal Government says they are.

Yep

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 26 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.