Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Depending on rifle and barrel length but 3100+ is feasible

Unless I'm missing something, that sort of begs the question for needing the AI.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RevMike

Unless I'm missing something, that sort of begs the question for needing the AI.

Why? At the same pressure their is only enough capacity difference to equate to 40 FPS for the AI over the standard 280

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's my point: at similar pressure the difference between the two is moot. Again, unless I'm missing something.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
That's my point: at similar pressure the difference between the two is moot. Again, unless I'm missing something.

True as long as they are loaded to the same pressure.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by jwall

IMO I think the 10 MM Factory ammo is/was loaded to its potential.

Many pistols would not stand up to the 10mm ammo.

Jerry

That's the truth. It chewed up Delta Elites.

Only the early Delta. It only cracked the small bridge in the frame gap. In the later models, Colt removed the bridge. Problem solved.

Also, the original loads exceed what modern loading manuals list today.

I'm glad to know that, hadn't heard it before.

@ 2000 or so I handled a few D Es at a Gun Show. Each for @ $400.00. I didn't know enuff about them so....

Later I seriously considered getting a D E in 10mm but loading it to 40 SW specs. I wish I had.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have always handloaded, but would not hesitate to hunt with factory .30-06 ammo. Factory .30-06 ammo has been killing game the world over for more than 100 years. What difference could 100 FPS make ?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It especially depends on the rifle....

Thank you, John.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What’s “Need” got to do with it ? The Ackley Improved is about Panache !

Ok, Less case stretch , and trimming.

Sexy 40 degree shoulder, with Less case taper, small increase in capacity.

Not much velocity increase at same pressure

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There have been some .30-06 factory loads that got quite a bit more than "standard" velocities. Over 20 years ago Federal had a "High Energy" load with the 180-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw that they claimed got 2880 fps. This was apparently possible at SAAMI specs by using a heavily compressed load of well over 60 grains of a slower burning spherical powder. It worked great in my NULA .30-06, getting a little over 2900 fps and grouping a little under an inch. Essentially it was a .300 WSM, before the WSM appeared.

But other rifles could have some difficulty with it. A friend had another NULA, and bolt lifts were so stiff he didn't use the ammo in the field. Back then I also had an old FN Mauser sporter .30-06, which had a slightly shorter than average throat. In the FN the ammo blew primers--and got over 3000 fps from the 22" barrel! The guys at Federal very interested to hear this, and asked me to send them what remained of that box of ammo for testing. They reported it got "normal" pressures in their test barrel, around 58,000 PSI.

In my NULA most 180-grain factory ammo gets right around the standard 2700 fps velocity, but I suspect the 24" barrel has a tighter chamber and perhaps bore than most factory .30-06s. And of course many factory rifles have 22" barrels--or even shorter.

A few years ago three friends and I hunted elk on a ranch about 100 miles south of here. The rifle season had been open for a couple weeks, and consequently a lot of elk had had come onto the ranch from off the surrounding Forest Service land, and we all got decent 6-point bulls.

One of the guys used Federal .30-06 factory ammunition with 180-grain Partitions in a lightweight Weatherby Vanguard with a 20" barrel. I'd guess the muzzle velocity was around 2600 fps, but he never chronographed it. Instead he knew the trajectory out to 400 yards--and made the longest shot on the 4 bulls, around 360 if I recall correctly. The 180 Partition landed about 1/3 of the way up the chest behind the shoulder, and the bull ran about 40 yards before keeling over.

I stumbled into a couple of partial boxes of Federal's High Energy loads a few years ago. One was the 165 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (P3006T4), which did 2,973 fps in a 24" Model 70 Classic. The other was the 180-grain Partition load that you mentioned (P3006R), which did 2,800 fps in the same rifle.

Federal's 180-grain Partition loads (P3006F) has been consistently good for just over 2,600 fps in several 24" 30-06 rifles, or about what I usually get from Remington's 180-grain Pointed Soft Point CoreLokt in a Tikka T3 in 308. In that same Tikka and in a 24" Model 700, their 180 Partition load (P308E) has done about 2,560 fps.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 07/06/21.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I stand corrected about the Remington semis.
Funny thing, as a kid I thought all hunting ammo came in a green box with CoreLokt bullets. That's all we used. Plenty of deer died. As previously mentioned however, I do want a 30-06, not a long action 308.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"The other was the 180-grain Partition load that you mentioned (P3006R), which did 2,800 fps in the same rifle."

You misread my post. The High Energy 180-grain load mentioned used the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, not the180 Partition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have not checked that much 06 ammo but in most other cartridges the velocity is low and slow. Norma almost always produces the highest velocity for factory loads and of the domestic ammo Federal came closer to spec than other ammo did in a few cartridges. All of the premium euro loads turned up good velocities. I think this may be because many european chambers have longer throats than American SAAMI throats so this is like a little bit of free bore with the corresponding lower pressure until fired in a shorter leade chamber.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

"The other was the 180-grain Partition load that you mentioned (P3006R), which did 2,800 fps in the same rifle."

You misread my post. The High Energy 180-grain load mentioned used the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, not the180 Partition.

I stand corrected.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I actually used that High Energy 180 Grain Partition load quite a bit. I got about 2850 out of my model 70 with it. It was also very accurate in my rifle, and I used it almost exclusively while it was available. I could not equal it with my handloads. I still can’t, but I can get close enough that it doesn’t really make a difference.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
I actually used that High Energy 180 Grain Partition load quite a bit. I got about 2850 out of my model 70 with it. It was also very accurate in my rifle, and I used it almost exclusively while it was available. I could not equal it with my handloads. I still can’t, but I can get close enough that it doesn’t really make a difference.

I had a pre 64 model 70 30/06 with a Krieger 26 3/4" barrel that got a tad over 3000 PFS with 180 Partitions High Energy load over my Olher 35

Last edited by jwp475; 07/08/21.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been shooting Federal Premium for the past several years, first with 165 grain TSXs which are now discontinued and now 180 grain Trophy Copper. Neither has been slow by my standards, 2900+ fps. Everything I have shot with them has dropped with one shot.

My handloads are decidedly tamer. 54 grains of IMR 4350 under a 150 grain Sierra Gameking. They have blown some impressive holes in whitetail deer. I spend plenty of time with a chrono before hunting season making a detailed drop chart. With the scopes I run anything I can see on our property (600 yards and in) is within range if I want to take it.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just before covid, I bought a couple of boxes of Federal 150 grain, I think Fusion, in a blue box. I had picked up an old sporterized low number Springfield sporter and figured factory ammo was probably loaded down. I shot it and there were absolutely no pressure signs, so I ran a few over the chrono...2940-2957 fps!!! I sure did not expect that, I know some of the factory ammo is not loaded down.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Whether it's loaded down or not the important question is how well does it shoot and does it kill stuff. In this enlightened age it is a wonderment to me that people still get hung up on velocity, especially since rangefinders have taken the guesswork out of considerations over point blank range vs. "long range" and bullet technology is at a level our fathers only dreamed of.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have always handloaded, but would not hesitate to hunt with factory .30-06 ammo. Factory .30-06 ammo has been killing game the world over for more than 100 years. What difference could 100 FPS make ?

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Whether it's loaded down or not the important question is how well does it shoot and does it kill stuff. In this enlightened age it is a wonderment to me that people still get hung up on velocity, especially since rangefinders have taken the guesswork out of considerations over point blank range vs. "long range" and bullet technology is at a level our fathers only dreamed of.

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you, but this is 24 Hr Campfire where a variance of +/-50 fps must be debated, the consequences analyzed and, where necessary, blame assigned for failure to conform to the velocity printed on the box. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Holy schit, my point of discussion was missed by many and it went sideways.

There are a number of cartridges that have been around a long time and hence chambered in older actions and is down loaded. For example, 7x57 Mauser.

I simply asked if the the .30-06 was such a cartridge, NOT if it is still capable to kill stuff if velocity is not what it could be in factory loads.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 29 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,753
Posts18,495,386
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.