Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Water can be hauled in outhouse, or compacting toilet.

Huh?

I don't think the compacting toilet has been invented yet.

You mean that thing with the thick plastic lined paper bag in the kitchen, next to the sink/dishwasher ain't a toilet?

Damn, thing can hold a weeks worth at least. No need for a septic system either, just toss it in the Dumpster behind the liquor store.

Pee off the porch though, them bags ain't that waterproof.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Add a little kitty litter and your golden.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've seen numerous land deals in NM,AZ, and West Texas that were selling acreage tracts of land comparatively cheap.

The main problems with them as relating to off grid life are:

1) No water. In most places, you cannot find enough water table to drill even deep, expensive water well. Forget a rain catch system. It won't rain enough to support your living. It may help at times, but not an option....
You seem to know about Dolan Springs AZ!

Dolan Springs, gateway to fabulous Meadview!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've seen numerous land deals in NM,AZ, and West Texas that were selling acreage tracts of land comparatively cheap.

1) No water. In most places, you cannot find enough water table to drill even deep, expensive water well. Forget a rain catch system. It won't rain enough to support your living. It may help at times, but not an option.

2) Electricity. Getting power of any sort to your property is probably cost prohibitive with either solar/wind, or power poles from the electric supplier.

3) Forget hunting. It's desert, and it takes many, many acres to support even one animal. And the competition for that one animal is unbelievable.

But, by all means, do try it. Many have. I'd say about 2% last more than a year.... Then the land developer forecloses and sells the tract to another optimist.

i do

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 45_100
The water rights issue has the potential to be as big an issue as described in this post. Lots of attorneys have made careers out of arguing water rights especially in arid areas. We have cattle on about 10,000 acres of state grazing land. You have to get a permit from the state to build a fence or do any kind of improvements. We cleaned out three dirt tanks two years ago. State land guy told us you can clean them out and make them deeper but you cannot make them any bigger. Courts have determined the rights to runoff belong to the tribes and you cannot impede it. We asked how they would know since they never come out to look at the property. He said they monitor satellite images.

friend of mine who passed not long ago had a ranch on the desert between congress and aquila. family on it since the 30's. i had hunted dove on one of his tanks since the 50's. met him one day and thanked him as usual for letting me hunt there. he said enjoy it while you can. seemed the windmill energy guys were talking a bout putting windmills u p, eventually when up to become another ranchers problem in nevada. if it would have went in, no trespassing, no entry into all that land. I commented what about your tank, that is deeded property, worth bucks in the desert. well, not really. BLM comes in and diverts water upstream so no more water, and then buys you out.
welcome to america.
course i could mention a gold mine in the same general area. been in the family for about 100years. hadn't been worked due to the water coming out of it. also worth money in the desert. owner died, and heir was a couple of days late filing paper work, so BLM got it.
somebod y mentioned phoenix getting all the water. keep in mine indians get first claim on it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore

1) No water. In most places, you cannot find enough water table to drill even deep, expensive water well. Forget a rain catch system. It won't rain enough to support your living. It may help at times, but not an option....

Dolan Springs, gateway to fabulous Meadview!

Yeah, and the two are about as far apart economically as Beverly Hills and East LA.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 48 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,005
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.