Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Coulotte Sirloin roast... If you haven't had it, your're missing out

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I like sirloin.

You like bugs on your tomatoes, too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This is homegrown burger, we told the butcher to shoot for 90/10.

It's a little leaner than I'd prefer but still great burger IMHO.

Mesquite smoking as we speak!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
My favorite part is hearing about people saying marketing ruined good beef and blah blah blah and they tout Angus in the same sentence.

Read a book for once.

Curious, do you have a preference for what we have available locally? I've been getting most of my stuff at Mat Valley Meats, and so far, so good. I've been looking at buying a half beef from Hungate, but they have Angus... not sure if there's better up here.

I’m not saying Angus is necessarily bad, but the entire Angus is incredible thing is solely based on marketing. A lot of it had to do with Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. and their Angus burgers.

There are better beef to be had. I once read that Galloways can finish damn near USDA Prime on scrub grass that other breeds pass up and struggle to finish Choice on the “better” forage.

As for up here, I don’t really favor one place over the other, I just look at the cuts whenever I’m in different places and if I see something that looks good, I buy it. I’ve seen pretty good stuff at Mat Valley, but I’ve also seen some real winners at Fred’s over in the case. The trick is to keep your eyes peeled for the USDA Prime ribeyes. Most folks won’t pay what they’re asking, so once you see a batch show up in the case that look pretty good, if you’re not willing to pull the trigger, come back in a few days and they’ll likely be on sale. I tend to buy them when I see them, though. I’m also “that guy” who asks the butcher to move the top layer of steaks so I can see what’s on the level below, covered in butcher paper waiting on the stuff on top to sell before being exposed.

More often than not, we’re eating moose/caribou, so I tend to get kinda picky if I’m shopping for beef. Only place I’ve seen that never really seems to have the occasional winner is Three Bears, but I also don’t go there looking for beef; I’m usually just swinging through to see if they’ve gotten any reloading components or ammo in.

Last edited by Ducksanddogs; 07/10/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My favorite part is hearing about people saying marketing ruined good beef and blah blah blah and they tout Angus in the same sentence.

Read a book for once.

Curious, do you have a preference for what we have available locally? I've been getting most of my stuff at Mat Valley Meats, and so far, so good. I've been looking at buying a half beef from Hungate, but they have Angus... not sure if there's better up here.

I’m not saying Angus is necessarily bad, but the entire Angus is incredible thing is solely based on marketing. A lot of it had to do with Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. and their Angus burgers.

There are better beef to be had. I once read that Galloways can finish damn near USDA Prime on scrub grass that other breeds pass up and struggle to finish Choice on the “better” forage.

As for up here, I don’t really favor one place over the other, I just look at the cuts whenever I’m in different places and if I see something that looks good, I buy it. I’ve seen pretty good stuff at Mat Valley, but I’ve also seen some real winners at Fred’s over in the case. The trick is to keep your eyes peeled for the USDA Prime ribeyes. Most folks won’t pay what they’re asking, so once you see a batch show up in the case that look pretty good, if you’re not willing to pull the trigger, come back in a few days and they’ll likely be on sale. I’m also “that guy” who asks the butcher to move the top layer of steaks so I can see what’s on the level below, covered in butcher paper waiting on the stuff on top to sell before being exposed.

More often than not, we’re eating moose/caribou, so I tend to get kinda picky if I’m shopping for beef. Only place I’ve seen that never really seems to have the occasional winner is Three Bears, but I also don’t go there looking for beef; I’m usually just swinging through to see if they’ve gotten any reloading components or ammo in.

Roger that... I'm about 60/40 between Mat Valley and Freddies. I quit buying at Three Bears when I bought a Prime rib roast that was spoiled, and the a-whole butcher claimed that I didn't cook it long enough. Plus a few of their primal NY and Rib cuts looked like they were ripped off the side of the cow with an excavator ripping bucket (found out once the vacuum packaging was removed for cutting). I've had above average luck at Cubby's IGA in Trapper Creek.

I'm still in the hunt for a good reliable supply locally. I'll give Hungate a try, and see what happens,

Thanks

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Read a book for once.

As for up here, I don’t really favor one place over the other, I just look at the cuts whenever I’m in different places and if I see something that looks good, I buy it. I’ve seen pretty good stuff at Mat Valley, but I’ve also seen some real winners at Fred’s over in the case. The trick is to keep your eyes peeled for the USDA Prime ribeyes. Most folks won’t pay what they’re asking, so once you see a batch show up in the case that look pretty good, if you’re not willing to pull the trigger, come back in a few days and they’ll likely be on sale. I’m also “that guy” who asks the butcher to move the top layer of steaks so I can see what’s on the level below, covered in butcher paper waiting on the stuff on top to sell before being exposed.

Roger that... I'm about 60/40 between Mat Valley and Freddies. I quit buying at Three Bears when I bought a Prime rib roast that was spoiled, and the a-whole butcher claimed that I didn't cook it long enough. Plus a few of their primal NY and Rib cuts looked like they were ripped off the side of the cow with an excavator ripping bucket (found out once the vacuum packaging was removed for cutting). I've had above average luck at Cubby's IGA in Trapper Creek.

I'm still in the hunt for a good reliable supply locally. I'll give Hungate a try, and see what happens,

Thanks

Yeah, on Valentine’s Day in 2020, they had those bulk/uncut ribeyes for like $4.99 and they’d cut/wrap them for you. I went deep. I think I bought 60-70 pounds’ worth. Ended up regretting that decision after I saw them cut, and I haven’t seen great options in there since.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

There are better beef to be had.

From a producers standpoint black Angus are top end.

Of course I'm mostly concerned with disposition and what they bring in the sales ring.

The buyers want them and they handle our climate so they work for us.

We are 99.9% straight black Angus, one Char cross cow in the entire herd and when she's gone that'll be it for off color. A uniform set of calves always sells better

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
How many of you poor fuggers have never tasted a steak which was not force fed on corn and dry urea through a feedlot?

Sure, beef is less expensive to produce in that manner. And it is faster. But it sure as hell does not taste better.

The same guy will scream all day about GM9 this, GMO that, or pesticides. But happily eat steak fed out on dry urea.

Idaho Shooter, just how much urea is force finished into a feedlot ration on typical steers?

Hopefully not more than 1% of a super high quality grain rich ration and half that of a rougher ration.

I prefer to feed all the urea to the grass and let the cow eat the grass.

All you folks claiming that a decent steak can be found in a restaurant?

At what price?

I guarandamntee nobody in this household is paying $20/pound for meat even if it is precooked and carried to the table by a nude supermodel.

Certainly not when there is a 25 cu ft freezer in the garage ALMOST running over with the same stuff.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well you’re fugked because there’s no steak at a restaurant to suit and you damn sure can’t grill one. There’s always chicken

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by SamOlson

There are better beef to be had.

From a producers standpoint black Angus work for us.

Of course I'm mostly concerned with disposition and what they bring in the sales ring.

The buyers want them and they handle our climate so they work for us.

We are 99.9% straight black Angus, one Char cross cow in the entire herd and when she's gone that'll be it for off color. A uniform set of calves always sells better

So Sam, the black calves are actually outselling herford now?

20 years ago, I had my fingers more in the game than just raising three or four to feed the family each year.

Back then, around here anyway, "English" all sold about the same.

I have noticed there are few herfords grazing in the pastures around here.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my favorite things to grill is a whole chicken.

Bought one of those ceramic beer can chicken deals and it works great.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don;t knock any breed of cattle.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Well you’re fugked because there’s no steak at a restaurant to suit and you damn sure can’t grill one. There’s always chicken

Been perfectly happy eating all cuts of beef, pork, and chicken with no use of a grill for sixty five years. That sure as hell ain't about to change now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

So Sam, the black calves are actually outselling herford now?

Idaho, oh yeah, at least here they sure do.

I'm not dogging on Herefords and they bring good money but I would wager the blacks go higher.

Another $50-100/head adds up.

Main thing is uniformity. Rainbow herds sometimes get dinged a little, that and big heads, overly big bones, buyers don't like that.....lol

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/10/21.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Tarkio
How many of you poor fuggers have never tasted a steak which was not force fed on corn and dry urea through a feedlot?

Sure, beef is less expensive to produce in that manner. And it is faster. But it sure as hell does not taste better.

The same guy will scream all day about GM9 this, GMO that, or pesticides. But happily eat steak fed out on dry urea.

Idaho Shooter, just how much urea is force finished into a feedlot ration on typical steers?

Hopefully not more than 1% of a super high quality grain rich ration and half that of a rougher ration.

I prefer to feed all the urea to the grass and let the cow eat the grass.

All you folks claiming that a decent steak can be found in a restaurant?

At what price?

I guarandamntee nobody in this household is paying $20/pound for meat even if it is precooked and carried to the table by a nude supermodel.

Certainly not when there is a 25 cu ft freezer in the garage ALMOST running over with the same stuff.

Whoa. WHOA! right there podner!

Needs nude pics of the supermodel.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
At the risk of campfire scorn, some of the best steak I’ve had is Chuck steak.

Carefully selected though.

ETA: too often they look less like marble and more like a metamorphic schist.
geology joke there. 😁

Last edited by ironbender; 07/10/21.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Freezer running over with the same stuff.........

Thats like saying grandmas spaghetti is just the same as Beefaroni.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Chuckeyes can be good, I had the butcher save 'em.

Went all steaks and burger, other than the tri tips, no roasts.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
OK, it's hard to ruin a good cut of meat.

Taking a bad piece of any meat, and making it taste good IS, cooking.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Chuckeyes can be good, I had the butcher save 'em.

Went all steaks and burger, other than the tri tips, no roasts.

Sammo! Can be good? My favorite steak going..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 22 of 25 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,235
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.