Home
Around the homestead, that is?

Folks talking all the time about grill this, barbecue that, and even outdoor griddles.

Sure up in the woods camping, feeding a tribe, that's a thing.

Just a couple of us on a hunting trip, we're cooking over the campfire, just like Grandpa and Uncles always did.

But around the house? Hell, I have a perfectly good electric range. And if the power goes out, there's a gas range in the RV.

After thirty years of marriage with no outside grill, Momma thought we needed one, cause everyone else has one! I told her, after thirty years, if we had needed one, we would have had one. But no, she insisted.

It sat on the deck for five years, and got fired up three times. One of which was to smoke a twenty five pound turkey with hickory chips. It was not bad, but did not match what the guy at the butcher plant can do.

I finally sent the thing home with my son. Six months later, he threw it on a load going to the dump. That was almost five years ago.

Now Momma is talking about paying big bucks for a Traeger. WT actual F?

I could purchase another handgun with that kind of cash. Or pay for serious upgrades to the coming 1911.
Why fire up a furnace in the house during the summer?
We cook on the BBQ pit a lot, excuse for drinking beer.

Nothing like meat cooked with Mesquite wood
Please turn in your man card.

Ever since the beginning of man, we’ve used fire.

Hot pockets and red Barron pizzas are for puzzies.

Crockpots are for city folk.

Nothing beats a nice thick ribeye over a hot fire.

#fire
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

#fire

Do use a crockpot a lot in winter or in the summer when I know I will be strapped for time in the evenings.

We are going to be building a new house within the next 2 years, it will have an outside kitchen.
Just depends on what you want I suppose. We enjoy cooking outdoors. If you don't- nothing wrong with that.

-Jake
I love my Weber. No mess, no dishes, no fuss, good food. Mine is hooked up to my home gas line, so no running out of gas and filling bottles.
First off, cooking in the house is on a gas range. Electric sucks.

I got rid of my outdoor grill years ago and haven't missed it. I have a smoker, and I have a fire pit on the patio that I can cook over hot coals. The pit is 4 feet across which allows for various heat settings on the grate grill. Cooking outdoors is fun when you build a real fire and wait for it to burn down before cooking. Consume a few drinks while waiting.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Folks talking all the time about grill this, barbecue that, and even outdoor griddles.

Just a couple of us on a hunting trip, we're cooking over the campfire, just like Grandpa and Uncles always did.

But around the house? Hell, I have a perfectly good electric range. And if the power goes out, there's a gas range in the RV.

After thirty years of marriage with no outside grill, Momma thought we needed one, cause everyone else has one! I told her, after thirty years, if we had needed one, we would have had one. But no, she insisted.

It sat on the deck for five years, and got fired up three times. One of which was to smoke a twenty five pound turkey with hickory chips. It was not bad, but did not match what the guy at the butcher plant can do.

I finally sent the thing home with my son. Six months later, he threw it on a load going to the dump. That was almost five years ago.

I could purchase another handgun with that kind of cash. Or pay for serious upgrades to the coming 1911.

I’d rather have a Traeger than yet another handgun.
We cook as much outside as inside, probably even more outside. It's hard to beat a good steak cooked over oak coals. And my wife likes me to fry the fish, shrimp and lobster outside. Ribs, pork shoulders and butts are great in the smoker. We have pork chops on the right now and the boss is putting BBQ sauce on them as I type.
The Traeger that I gave my wife for Christmas a few years ago has been a gift that keeps on giving (to me) Love it!

If Mama ain't happy...... ain't nobody happy!
We cook outside more than inside. Our weber gasser was built in 2002 and just keeps on keeping on. To each his own. I get a lot of flack for using a gasser but no one turns down food I offer so...
I don't really have much use for it despite having put in an outdoor kitchen n the house. I thought I'd use it some, but my wife prefers to do almost all of the cooking. A couple of weeks ago I taught her how to run the Bradley, so she is off and running on that. Once we do the pizza oven I'll be completely free from cooking obligations.

So outdoor cooking is getting some use around here but not by me.
Kool Aid got dumped in the Idaho water supply?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Pay to heat the oven while the AC tries to cool the house as energy prices skyrocket; seems brilliant.

I enjoy cooking, I enjoy being outside, so I love cooking outside. Saving money on energy is a bonus.
[quote=Stickfight]I don't really have much use for it despite having put in an outdoor kitchen n the house. I thought I'd use it some, but my wife prefers to do almost all of the cooking. A couple of weeks ago I taught her how to run the Bradley, so she is off and running on that. Once we do the pizza oven I'll be completely free from cooking obligations.

So outdoor cooking is getting some use around here but not by me.
Nothing wrong with that.
Weber Kettle BBQ w/ hickory/almond/pecan/or coal, and a hole in the ground for deep-pittin'.

Mmmm......

GR
We have a family tradition of grilling out every Sunday evening, year round. I look forward to it all week. I use a 1960s made, Charbroil 450A, that my Grandpa bought new. I can even smoke on it. I believe pork chops are on the menu this weekend. grin
How to do you cook a steak? Never could like a steak cooked in a fry pan personally.... This time of year about half of our cooking is outdoors mostly on the BBQ.
Keep the heat outside when its hot out, and I like cooking outside. Less mess
I do more than half the cooking and all the outdoor stuff, and that's fine by me. I enjoy it.

Lots of good stuff you can cook with a grill or a pellet smoker that you can't cook on an electric range or in a regular oven. They both have their places, but a lot of the best food I've ever had was cooked outside. A lot of the rest of it was cooked sous vide. Some of it was both.
So, just come in from outside grilled 5 burgers. So I can have something to eat the next two days. And see this thread. 😃

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane
Hotpoint propane outdoor range top
Masterbuilt 40” electric smoker
Stainless frankegrill (can do 3 chicken and 3 butts)
8ft x 3ft concrete block lined, ground pit. (Can do dozens of butts)

I built this 24x24 outdoor area in 2014. All connected to my existing covered porches, smoked polycarbonate clear roof panel.

I don’t have plumbing in it but ai have a triple sink on our other patio, our outdoor canning patio.

Was not going to cover it at first but decided I’d get more use out of the slab. We set up a pool table or unfold ping pong table, have a 10x12 screen and projection I can set up too.

Used to duct jack to get all my LVLs up and in place, fab’d all my brackets. Mrs slumlord did all the tile and rock work. Just us. Like always.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice
Originally Posted by slumlord

Exactly. If I was starting from scratch I'd have a gas grill with sear burner, pellet grill, and probably a kamodo grill before I'd buy a third handgun. Hard to do without CCW and a bear revolver, but after that it'd be grills.
That looks damn nice and inviting Slummy!
Originally Posted by chris_c

this exactly.....

Weber grill.....Dutch ovens.......Blackstone griddle.....wood fired smoker
So, just come in from outside grilled 5 burgers. So I can have something to eat the next two days. And see this thread. 😃

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

I built this 24x24 outdoor area in 2014. All connected to my existing covered porches, smoked polycarbonate clear roof panel.

I don’t have plumbing in it but ai have a triple sink on our other patio, our outdoor canning patio.

Was not going to cover it at first but decided I’d get more use out of the slab. We set up a pool table or unfold ping pong table, have a 10x12 screen and projection I can set up too.

Used to duct jack to get all my LVLs up and in place, fab’d all my brackets. Mrs slumlord did all the tile and rock work. Just us. Like always.

That is a badazz outdoor setup slumlord. Where was the ground pit you mentioned?Been wanting to dig one and do a whole hog but so far I'm gathering free materials for a fall cook.

I cook about the same on the grill as I do in the kitchen.

Your loss, honestly....
Slummy's setup looks great!

I cook on the grill more than I do inside.
Barbecue is something you eat, not something you do. Pork shoulder in this part of the country.
Originally Posted by Oldman03

And that's the whole truth. But in all reality, Momma is not the least bit interested in cooking on the Traeger. She just likes the idea of having one because two of our kids each have one.

If she really wanted something cooked on the Traeger, she would have taken it 200 feet and cooked it on the one sitting on Daughter's patio.

Beef? She will eat about two bites of a steak about once a year. Maybe a hamburger every week or two.

Shellfish? Ain't nobody around here interested in eating any shellfish of any kind. I just gave away a bag of salmon filets, a couple lobster tails and a big bag of 16 count shrimp which was gifted to us. Nobody between here and my daughters house was interested in any of it.

Fish? If Momma never ate another bite of any fish in her life, she would be happy.

We use lots of chicken, prepared as a dish. Grilled? not interested. Fried? from a deli!

Pork? Steaks or chops once or twice a month.

I dredge steaks, pork or beef, in flour and toss them in a pan of hot oil. I do not prefer grilled over that.

A slowcooker? It has not been pulled out of the cupboard in about four years. I will make chile beans with hamburger, or ham and beans in the pressure cooker.

That is our lifestyle. A great big Brinkman grill on the deck did not change that lifestyle. I sure don't think a Traeger would either.

Momma really likes to cook. Which, to her, means mixing ingredients in a bowl, and adding them to a pan on the stove.
If all I had was an electric stove and no grill or smoker of any kind, I’d eat out every damn meal.
Originally Posted by efw

Pay to heat the oven while the AC tries to cool the house as energy prices skyrocket; seems brilliant.

I enjoy cooking, I enjoy being outside, so I love cooking outside. Saving money on energy is a bonus.

I find little joy in standing in the sun over a fire with ambient temp between 100 and 110, after spending 10 hours in that heat all day at work.

Yes, I can afford to buy the electricity to pump the oven heat back outside.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than pellets, charcoal, or propane to run a grill. So that is a specious argument.
All 3 daughters are grown, 2 gone.

Used ta bbq all the time.
Hotdogs
Hamburgers
Steaks
Chicken
Ribs
Pork chops
Deer meat recipes.

Probably been 10 or 12 yrs.

Slice of bark meat or burger from slumlords cooking every once in awhile now.

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

I built this

24x24 outdoor area in 2014. All connected to my existing covered porches, smoked polycarbonate clear roof panel.

GET OUT PIMP !!

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

Beautiful work there Slummy. You folks obviously enjoy it.
I don't like eating outside, but I sure do like meat cooked over wood outside.
Some food is just not good unless grilled. Steak and pork chops come to mind...

Oh, and I hate eating outside. Don't need the wind or bugs.
Summer 12 I burned the back deck down bbq’ing wife won’t let me cook outside no mo. Matter of 20 minutes 10 grand back deck gone. My wife was pissed had to sleep in spare bedroom for a month. The going joke around here is he said “just a little more charcoal fluid”. What’s even more embarrassing my bud worked for the fire department and was on scene. I’m going to just stop talking about it.
Originally Posted by efw

I find little joy in standing in the sun over a fire with ambient temp between 100 and 110, after spending 10 hours in that heat all day at work.

Yes, I can afford to buy the electricity to pump the oven heat back outside.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than pellets, charcoal, or propane to run a grill. So that is a specious argument.

My AC works very well and my ovens are also well insulated. Very little heat escapes from using them. Cooking inside does not contribute to heating my house, summer or winter, in any significant way.

Turn in your fugking man card and you’re banned from the The Campfireroom

Sorry, bud. If you have an electric kitchen range, you’re out of your depth to post about cooking.
This would be a good time to see what VarmintGuy contributes.

Just as a reminder, he says I never post anything interesting. 🤪
Yet to see him post pics of anything.

Probably some are tired of seeing this, ain’t really a pig-in-the-ground pit. It’s more for butts/shoulders

And yeah yeah, the blocks are not mortared. Just stacked and filled. WGAF it’s for bbqing

Slummy just blew his out door cooking load

LOL

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

Looks great! Rather kick around there than inside anyday!
This would be a good time to see what VarmintGuy contributes.

Just as a reminder, he says I never post anything interesting. 🤪
Yet to see him post pics of anything.

Probably some are tired of seeing this, ain’t really a pig-in-the-ground pit. It’s more for butts/shoulders

And yeah yeah, the blocks are not mortared. Just stacked and filled. WGAF it’s for bbqing

Dang them are some big ass potatoes
IS, I’m just speechless...I offer my condolences to your orphaned and then murdered grill.

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

Slum is an man card carrying member, by contrast.

LOL

🦫
"But around the house? Hell, I have a perfectly good electric range".

Said no straight man ever............
Originally Posted by GregW

Your loss, honestly....

Must be like religion. Folks do not understand, it is no loss if you don't care for it.

Apparently, I am in the extreme minority on this issue. It ain't the first time that has happened.

But then I can easily completely skip eating for 24 to 48 hours with no bother or discomfort. If Momma did not cook and shove food under my nose, I would probably weigh about 120 lbs, and people would be thinking I had a meth habit.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Exactly. If I was starting from scratch I'd have a gas grill with sear burner, pellet grill, and probably a kamodo grill before I'd buy a third handgun. Hard to do without CCW and a bear revolver, but after that it'd be grills.

For sure.

We probably cook outside on the gas grill or pellet grill at least a 100 days a year minimum. Better tasting food, less mess, keeps the house cool. Especially during the summer. Except for boiling water the range/oven hasn't been on in 2 weeks.
I do a lot of grilling not so much to be out on the deck although I like that too but mostly for the food. Burgers and steaks don’t taste right cooked in a pan other foods can come close but are still better grilled.
We grill at least twice a week in the warmer months, and occasionally when it’s cold. The meat tastes much better grilled.

Your loss, honestly....

Must be like religion. Folks do not understand, it is no loss if you don't care for it.

Apparently, I am in the extreme minority on this issue. It ain't the first time that has happened.

But then I can easily completely skip eating for 24 to 48 hours with no bother or discomfort. If Momma did not cook and shove food under my nose, I would probably weigh about 120 lbs, and people would be thinking I had a meth habit.

Good stuff. I think we’re making progress here.
I cook out a lot, year round. I don't think we even have a broiler pan.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Youse guys have obviously never lived through an Idaho Desert summer. We had 12 days in June over 95 degrees. It has been recorded at Boise 98 to 107 every day since June 26 with no end expected until near September. We are usually significantly warmer on this end of the valley. For example, Monday is recorded at 103, but I saw thermometers at 111 over here.

But, HEY, it's a dry heat! Right?

As mentioned previously, I HAVE to spend forty hours/week out in that. I find no joy going back into it after I get home.

I used to have to feed and milk cattle, and irrigate, and stack hay all day in heat like this. But that shcitt is well reserved for the young. Now I am older and near retirement. I will take the AC. I have earned it. And I can afford it.
You’re a whiny puzzy . We got it
Cook on this about 3 times a week . Natural gas . I got the griddle that goes in one side from the Weber website .[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Your loss, honestly....

Good stuff. I think we’re making progress here.

Progress? I have not changed my mind about anything.

I am in good company. The thoughts of Socrates, Aristotle, Copernicus, and Galileo were unpopular during their lives.

damn you've been hiding that? Pretending all along to be some backwoods, possum feeding toilet paper hillbilly

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

You’re a whiny puzzy . We got it

I have never been accused of either by anyone who thought they could keep up with me during the first fifty years of my life.

Fifteen years later? Yeah, there are quite a few who can keep up these days.

Don't know which retard is running the sock puppet tonight, But I would like to see how long you make it out in the sun at 110 to 115 degrees.
Who said do it out in the sun?
You fugking retard

LOL
Originally Posted by Oldman03

And that's the whole truth. But in all reality, Momma is not the least bit interested in cooking on the Traeger. She just likes the idea of having one because two of our kids each have one.

If she really wanted something cooked on the Traeger, she would have taken it 200 feet and cooked it on the one sitting on Daughter's patio.

Beef? She will eat about two bites of a steak about once a year. Maybe a hamburger every week or two.

Shellfish? Ain't nobody around here interested in eating any shellfish of any kind. I just gave away a bag of salmon filets, a couple lobster tails and a big bag of 16 count shrimp which was gifted to us. Nobody between here and my daughters house was interested in any of it.

Fish? If Momma never ate another bite of any fish in her life, she would be happy.

We use lots of chicken, prepared as a dish. Grilled? not interested. Fried? from a deli!

Pork? Steaks or chops once or twice a month.

I dredge steaks, pork or beef, in flour and toss them in a pan of hot oil. I do not prefer grilled over that.

A slowcooker? It has not been pulled out of the cupboard in about four years. I will make chile beans with hamburger, or ham and beans in the pressure cooker.

That is our lifestyle. A great big Brinkman grill on the deck did not change that lifestyle. I sure don't think a Traeger would either.

Momma really likes to cook. Which, to her, means mixing ingredients in a bowl, and adding them to a pan on the stove.

Y'all sound like almost wannabe vegetarians. I can't remember the last time we cooked chicken at the house. I like chicken, I just like seafood, beef, pork and venison more.
My gandpap thought picnics were ridicules.

"All my life I've s-hit outside, and ate inside.
People these days want to schidt in the house, and eat in the dam yard!"
We have boneless ribeyes on sale here for $8.99/lb.

I’m grilling 3 outside right now.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

what chain?
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I do a lot of grilling not so much to be out on the deck although I like that too but mostly for the food. Burgers and steaks don’t taste right cooked in a pan other foods can come close but are still better grilled.

It is possible to do a good steak in a pan IF

a) the interior temperature of the steak is cooked to the correct point by some other means (e.g. sous vide or a slow oven)
b) the pan is very hot as a means of searing only

If done this way you get a finish very similar to the super-hot broilers and ovens used by most high end steak houses
We use our grill hundreds of days a year. We just have a simple propane grill. Not too enamored with the pellet grill thing, I find it easiest to add wood if I want smoke flavor.

Cook everything on it, fish, fowl, beef, pork, all sorts of venison and vegetables on the grill.

Or I have a smoker for the serious chores like venison bacon or brisket.

If you don't like outside cooking, it is pretty simple, don't do it. cool
Originally Posted by ribka

what chain?

Mine sell for 5 dollars a pound.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

It is possible to do a good steak in a pan IF

a) the interior temperature of the steak is cooked to the correct point by some other means (e.g. sous vide or a slow oven)
b) the pan is very hot as a means of searing only

If done this way you get a finish very similar to the super-hot broilers and ovens used by most high end steak houses

Ill do that in winter and finish in the oven. . but a pain to clean up and stinks up the house. grill is ez peezy clean up
[Linked Image from biblepic.com]
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
My gandpap thought picnics were ridicules.

"All my life I've s-hit outside, and ate inside.
People these days want to schidt in the house, and eat in the dam yard!"

My grandad said something very similar. 1980ish my dad and uncles put an indoor bath in his house. He was pissed. Said it was filthy and even an animal knew better than to [bleep] in its own nest.
Good company, trumps good food.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Where there’s Herb, there’s usually love Wabi!
We grill 4-5 days out of 7 during the summer and 3 out of 7 in the winter. Mostly chicken, pork chops, steak, burgers, hot dogs, brats and shrimp. Smoke meat or fish at least twice a month.
So 3-5 days per week? Good amount

well some guys think sex with a fine lady is repulsive.

Im actually have a steak salad tonite from the grill. so I agree with that proverb
So 3-5 days per week? Good amount

Grill’s in front of the shop. Shop has the beer fridge. It’s a wonder the numbers not 7 days a week.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Y'all sound like almost wannabe vegetarians. I can't remember the last time we cooked chicken at the house. I like chicken, I just like seafood, beef, pork and venison more.

Don't be making that statement plural. Momma could live vegetarian real easy. Well except for the bacon, which she cooks in the microwave under a paper towel.

I grew up on venison and learned that beef was a more tasty alternative at adulthood.

I like whitefish (bass,crappie, sea bass, and small trout too), and can eat salmon once in a while.

A few weeks ago, I tried some of those forty dollar a pound day boat sea scallops included with the lobster tails, shrimp and salmon gift. Really, I should have just let the dog eat them. I would have been happier with a can of Bush's Baked Beans.

Same with dungeness crab. Fresh caught from the cold waters of the mid Oregon coast and hot from the cooking pot. It is all I can do to force myself to eat it, and then only out of guilt over wasting food.

But yes, I will kill a ribeye, or a porkchop.
we do it a lot in the summer or when it is nice.

No need to heat up the house when it is hot.

We are using the one i made 40 years ago and use real wood limbs that come from the pecan trees,makes for some good eating.

Youse guys have obviously never lived through an Idaho Desert summer. We had 12 days in June over 95 degrees. It has been recorded at Boise 98 to 107 every day since June 26 with no end expected until near September. We are usually significantly warmer on this end of the valley. For example, Monday is recorded at 103, but I saw thermometers at 111 over here.

As mentioned previously, I HAVE to spend forty hours/week out in that. I find no joy going back into it after I get home.

I used to have to feed and milk cattle, and irrigate, and stack hay all day in heat like this. But that shcitt is well reserved for the young. Now I am older and near retirement. I will take the AC. I have earned it. And I can afford it.
lol, I live in south Tx, it can be over 95 in Oct or Nov and over 75 percent humidity.
Men like to think they can make a living the old time way, hunt,and fish.

Women like to think they can do the pioneer woman work, cook, and sew.
Now Momma is talking about paying big bucks for a Traeger.

Missed this first go round.

Which Traeger? I was thinking they topped out around $2k.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't be making that statement plural. Momma could live vegetarian real easy. Well except for the bacon, which she cooks in the microwave under a paper towel.

I grew up on venison and learned that beef was a more tasty alternative at adulthood.

I like whitefish (bass,crappie, sea bass, and small trout too), and can eat salmon once in a while.

A few weeks ago, I tried some of those forty dollar a pound day boat sea scallops included with the lobster tails, shrimp and salmon gift. Really, I should have just let the dog eat them. I would have been happier with a can of Bush's Baked Beans.

Same with dungeness crab. Fresh caught from the cold waters of the mid Oregon coast and hot from the cooking pot. It is all I can do to force myself to eat it, and then only out of guilt over wasting food.

But yes, I will kill a ribeye, or a porkchop.

You’d probably make Ghandi look fat.

Figure you either hate food, or are more picky than an 8 year old girl.

🦫
Originally Posted by Beaver10

It sounds like he lives some kind of ascetic lifestyle. That's fine if it floats his boat, but I'm not interested in denying myself the pleasures of good food or drink.
Don't feel bad Idaho, we've all started threads that turned South on us. blush
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Now Momma is talking about paying big bucks for a Traeger.

Missed this first go round.

Which Traeger? I was thinking they topped out around $2k.

$2K LOL. Fugg that! That would buy my next car.

some one needs to learn the art of Q...... sorry......darn near to late ...

Ah, Beaver, you're about 180 degrees from the target there. I can eat ALMOST anything that is put in front of me. It is just that I do not find "fancy" stuff more enjoyable than a plain old pot roast, or even that can of Bush's Beans, and often less so.

And I sure as hell am not going to consume any thing which requires an "acquired taste". If it tastes like schitt the first time you put it in your mouth, it will still taste like schitt after eating it for 100 meals.

Guess that's why I do not drink beer or distilled spirits. They still taste like schitt, no matter how many attempts.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
some one needs to learn the art of Q...... sorry......darn near to late ...

Learn the art? Why? I smelled enough burned protein branding calves and torching the pin feathers off of chicken carcasses. I do not want to eat it.

I have tried it at Dickey's and Goodwood (when it was purchased by others). Much as it pains me to waste food, I will leave it on the plate.

'Tis why I refuse to order beef at a restaurant. I have better in the freezer at home and can cook it as I like it.
What in the hell?

What kind of trolling is this?
Don't feel bad Idaho, we've all started threads that turned South on us. blush

Turned South?

It's cheap entertainment. Momma is watching HGTV again.
ambient temp between 100 and 110,.... 1st off ...move!!!! .... than as demanded turn in your man card and receive your spanking.... u must weight 110 holding a bucket of dry wall mud ... lol
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What in the hell?

It would be trolling if it were untrue.
ambient temp between 100 and 110,.... 1st off ...move!!!! .... than as demanded turn in your man card a receive your spanking.... u must weight 110 holding a bucket of dry wall mud ... lol

These weather conditions help to keep the riff raff out. But the proliferation of AC has led to the slime percolating into Boise and Twin Falls in ever increasing numbers.

I wish those three week winter inversions with temps from -20 to -30 like I remember from the '60s and '70s would come back. That might blow some of the trash back to Los Angeles.
Well, they're sure not coming for your cooking
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

rotflmao

Interesting that you would say that.

Not many years ago, folks often drove 100 miles for my wife's cooking.

She was pastry chef, soup chef, and general prep cook at the Idaho I-84 Exit 13 truck stop and cafe for almost ten years. People came from 50 miles in all directions for pie and coffee.

I had cherry pie and vanilla ice cream after dinner tonight.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
What in the hell?

It would be trolling if it were untrue.

It has to be.
Originally Posted by hanco
We cook on the BBQ pit a lot, excuse for drinking beer.

Nothing like meat cooked with Mesquite wood

I’m not from T , but we love Mesquite chips & Mesq. sauce for our grill.

YEP
Never known anyone who doesn’t like Grilling outside.
I remember times when I was hungry enough to eat hunks of flesh seared over flames, and did so. But those times were over fifty years ago.
Lol, your old lady drives jet boats and wants a Traeger.

Too bad she is into chicks.
Don't get a Traeger, get hanco to build you something cool!
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't get a Traeger, get hanco to build you something cool!

Did you read any of the thread?

Why in the hell would I want the Traeger, or something built by Hanco? Though I would assume he is a fine craftsman and even an artisan.

I do NOT need any yard art. I am not trying to impress anyone!
Better stay inside on your hemorrhoid pillow next to your Ensure and prunes.

Matlock might be on next.
Originally Posted by Backroads

She is into chicks? Hell that could be fun.

I will ask her if she has a hot girlfriend she wants to bring home. Maybe one who washes windows, and will sweep the Chinese Elm seeds the wind blew into the garage.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Better stay inside on your hemorrhoid pillow next to your Ensure and prunes.

Matlock might be on next.

You too Jim? After I sent you that box of bullets? grin

You get the kids to shooting that 327 yet?

No hemorrhoids yet. But I am having biopsies tomorrow on some spots on the back of my hands. Far too many years with my hands wrapped around a shovel, hay hook, or the steering wheel of a tractor.

Most likely benign, but checking just to be sure.
Good thing you are getting it checked out!

Good luck tomorrow.
Thanks. The spots are small, 1/4 inch. Not worried. Even if not benign, they would be easy to get rid of at this point.
Originally Posted by Backroads

She is into chicks? Hell that could be fun.

I will ask her if she has a hot girlfriend she wants to bring home. Maybe one who washes windows, and will sweep the Chinese Elm seeds the wind blew into the garage.

Perfect.

Interesting that you would say that.

Not many years ago, folks often drove 100 miles for my wife's cooking.

She was pastry chef, soup chef, and general prep cook at the Idaho I-84 Exit 13 truck stop and cafe for almost ten years. People came from 50 miles in all directions for pie and coffee.

I had cherry pie and vanilla ice cream after dinner tonight.

Pie and coffee is tough to do on a grill, so there is that!
Let’s start a GoFundMe for IS and his first BlackStone Griddle.

#HelpingGetYourManCardBack

LOL

🦫
Nothing beats grill’n. Not gas but charcoal or wood burned down to coals or even meat indirectly on a fire pit. Wtf how do you cook a brisket or Tomahawk if you don’t grill? The traeger ain’t bad and neither the slow cooker.
Brisket? I have it turned into hamburger with the rest of the crappy meat, then crumble and fry in a pan and add to beans or add to tomato sauce and serve over spaghetti.

Barbecue: the practice of cooking crappy meat slowly in the attempt to make it edible. Historically practiced by impoverished ethnic minorities who could not afford better cuts.
What the hell is a tomahawk?

I know you are not talking about a stone axe. Or anti-ship missiles launched from submarines or surface craft.
I've got nothing against cooking outside, but don't like eating outside (except when camping). Sweating, humidity, biting flies and mosquitoes? When my air conditioned house is waiting right there?
Insanity!

My picnic table has long been used as a outdoor work bench. And nothing else!
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I've got nothing against cooking outside, but don't like eating outside (except when camping). Sweating, humidity, biting flies and mosquitoes? When my air conditioned house is waiting right there?
Insanity!

My picnic table has long been used as a outdoor work bench. And nothing else!

Oh yeah. I had that discussion with the wife on the 4th. She wanted the whole family to eat outside. I said how about we eat inside with the AC, and move outside with drinks a bit later. I've eaten enough food with bugs and sand in it to not pass up a perfectly good table indoors.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
If all I had was an electric stove and no grill or smoker of any kind, I’d eat out every damn meal.

And twice on Sundays!
I cook outdoors two or three times each week even during the winter here in Alaska. I love my Weber for doing quick steaks and scallops but use the Traeger for ribs and loin. Also, can't beat a spatchcock chicken on the Traeger. JMHO
Time was people would grill and BBQ on brick and stone hearths built inside their homes.

Got no problem with the OPs choice. My Italian grandparents rarely cooked anything outside. Every once and a greatwhile Nonno would flame some Tuscan Tbones over old grapevine wood 1960's Sears Kenmore flat square charcoal grill.

Gma broiled in her oven in the dead of summer with the AC cranked on high.

Plenty of Sunday summer dinners eaten at their house with Nonna in her duster Nonno in his boxers and white tee. Fettuccine cacciatore fresh from the oven. AC set at Frozen Nipple with Bonanza on the TV.
I have not had a grill or smoker for about 5 years now. The few times I do want a grilled steak or whatever, I just use the camping grate over the fire pit

Ah, Beaver,

Guess that's why I do not drink beer or distilled spirits. They still taste like schitt, no matter how many attempts.

No wonder you seem so sour 😂

There's a reason why back in the day folks had separate indoor and outdoor kitchens. Many houses built back in the day even had covered 'breezeways' between the main house and kitchen. My mother-in-law had a 'summer' kitchen set up in a commercial yard barn type building a little ways out from their house where she did all her canning.

As to straight gas and electric grills only, in my opinion they cook and the food tastes no different than cooking with conventional indoor ovens. Matter of fact, I've completely quit cooking directly on top of grill surface. Instead, I use a shallow rectangle pan with it's own rack that catches the grease and drippings which has made my burners and grill internals last much longer than they ever did back when I did cook directly on the grill's rack.

As always, YMMV...
"So, just come in from outside grilled 5 burgers. So I can have something to eat the next two days. And see this thread. 😃

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

Used to duct jack to get all my LVLs up and in place, fab’d all my brackets. Mrs slumlord did all the tile and rock work. Just us. Like always."
-slumlord

That is a sweet setup right there!

I'm ashamed of my broke azz leantoo now.

Still cook outside about half the time. We actually slow down outside when its so hot, but we eat lighter when its hot as well.
We have a small table top propane grill on our deck, right outside the kitchen door. It'll do about 6 burgers at a time. We probably use it 2 or 3 times a week in warmer weather for a quick burger, steak, or some chicken without heating up the kitchen. I have a 10lb propane tank that I refill about once a year.
And Idaho Pooper keeps getting not what he wanted from this

Waiting on Renegade to post pic of little brown boy with weird forehead growth

laugh laugh laugh

You got it!

I'd like to do a bit more outdoor cooking here - but this place is subject to so much freakin' WIND that the big 6-burner Weber has a hard time keeping the fire lit.. The briquet grill is OK, but there needs to be enough time allowed to get it right for grilling..
Outdoor cooking @ our camper is a blessing so as to keep the camper cool inside. I bought a griddle for over my 2-burner camp-stove this summer as well for another outdoor cooking option. The air-fryer and deep-fryer both get used outdoors exclusively. Then of course there's a 3-burner Weber propane grill as well. The coffee maker and microwave are the only "cooking" we're doing inside @ the lake.

At home I use either a 3-burner Weber or BGE lump-charcoal grill 4-5 days/wk year 'round.

Plain and simple, I can't get the same flavor that my family prefers with a stove/oven that I can with a propane or charcoal grill.
Have a grill out on the deck. Use it 3-4 times week grilling elk steaks. Could not imagine throwing them in a frying pan

Barbecue: the practice of cooking crappy meat slowly in the attempt to make it edible. Historically practiced by impoverished ethnic minorities who could not afford better cuts.

If this is trolling, it is black belt level.

[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]
Lets see.....

We have a 4 burner Weber Genesis

A 27.5 Weber Kettle.

A 22 Weber Kettle ordered

3 burner camp stove

Turkey fryer

22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain

Masterbuilt 340g smoker

Camp Chef 4 burner flat top.

Picnic table

Outside fridge.

We like being outside.

It’s official.

Idaho Shooter is gay.
Weber Smokey Joe is my most oft used-3-4 times a week year round.
Generally cooking for 2 so it's plenty.

CharGrill Kamado type [like Slums] is famdamily is over or slow cooking.

Have a Brinkman Bullet around somewhere still.

Cheap gasser at our vacation rental house[don't need idiots trying to use starter fluid], but have another Smokey Joe locked away there for our use.
Not much (or any) agreement with the OP over 7 pages. I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but much as I enjoy the wife's cooking, that heavy grease smell from frying fish or cooking something equally effluvious in the house aint one of them. That side burner on the Weber outside on the patio does it better. And that additional sear station on the grill (known here as the cremater) maxes out the temperature hotter than the oven and cooks a tenderloin medium rare in 3.5 minutes. What's not to like?
You can’t get the flavor cooking inside you can outside.
Many things taste better cooked with a fire and some good wood smoke. I wouldn't dream of not having a charcoal and gas grill. We cook outside almost everyday in the summer. And many days in winter.
People in the south once cooked a lot of their meals outside before air conditioning. They only cooked inside during winter months. Cooking inside only became mainstream in the south after air conditioning or they had, like someone said, a breezeway to an inside kitchen. Wood stoves were the norm inside back then. Indoor gas ranges became common first before electric ranges. Gas is better for canning to hold pressure stable (my experience). Also gas works when the power is off, at least the cooktop does. Outside wood is better, gives better flavor to meats smoked especially.
Lets see.....

We have a 4 burner Weber Genesis

A 27.5 Weber Kettle.

A 22 Weber Kettle ordered

3 burner camp stove

Turkey fryer

22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain

Masterbuilt 340g smoker

Camp Chef 4 burner flat top.

Picnic table

Outside fridge.

We like being outside.

Let’s not get stupid.

I did’t count my swinging porch glider
Plastic loveseat bench
Dueling fire pits
Electric turkey fryer
Propane fish cooker
patio freezers

I have Nutty Buddies and ice cream sandwiches within 20ft of my Weber

😃

Next up:
Wood-boiler setups.
Originally Posted by ribka

what chain?

Safeway.

Excellent.
Haha

Mrs slumlord buys these for the dogs so they can feel included while we’re grilling.

We patty out own from fresh. But dayum, the knuckleheads can be some moochin SOBs.

So we get them these frozen chub burgers 😃

I've sauteed onions outside in 10 degrees rather than do it inside and stink up my whole house. Cook the onions, bring them back inside to finish the dish...
Haha

Mrs slumlord buys these for the dogs so they can feel included while we’re grilling.

We patty out own from fresh. But dayum, the knuckleheads can be some moochin SOBs.

Negroe Lab leaves a puddle of drool on my thigh, Brown Lab stays a foot back, leaves puddle on floor
LOL
The dogs get sliders.

Hold into the White Castle.
It's extremely rare (no pun intended) for us to cook any meats in our kitchen. One hundred above or 20 below, it goes outside on either charcoal or a gas grill. Such applies for even trivial items like hamburgers and hotdogs. Similarly, deep fat frying or stir fries are also conducted outside. Two or three high temp stir fries in our kitchen, and given the aerosols generated, one could skate across the floor. House doesn't smell like fish or chicken for the next three days either.

And yes, I don't think we've cooked a steak indoors for over 20 years.

Now excuse whatsoever.

I lived/worked where an average day's high temp in July was 108F. Yes, just an average day. It was regularly over 115F, and one stretch was 5 days in a row, not just 5 days in July, over 120F with the hottest hovering between 126F-128F on the ranger station thermometer 1/2 mile down the road. Mine read about 122-124F.

I had a nicer grill then than I have now, charcoal of course. And it was well used in the summertime.

By the time it was starting to get dusk in the canyon, a couple hours early than up the hill, it was cool enough to cook. As in 110F or so. Besides cooking, one could get in some yard work as the sun was setting too. I once mowed the lawn and thought it was quite pleasant out, so I looked at the thermometer................104F.

Oh, we worked at least 8 hrs a day in that heat too. Of course, we started at 0600 so we could go home around 1430-1500 and get out of the heat, until it was time to ..............................grill some food.

Outdoor heat is no excuse.
Originally Posted by 1minute
It's extremely rare (no pun intended) for us to cook any meats in our kitchen. One hundred above or 20 below, it goes outside on either charcoal or a gas grill. Such applies for even trivial items like hamburgers and hotdogs. Similarly, deep fat frying or stir fries are also conducted outside. Two or three high temp stir fries in our kitchen, and given the aerosols generated, one could skate across the floor. House doesn't smell like fish or chicken for the next three days either.

And yes, I don't think we've cooked a steak indoors for over 20 years.

Bacon? Do you cook that indoors in the AM?

I did this morning, the house smells............................wonderful.

We're hitting the century mark again here today. What's in store for you folks? Humidity was a whopping 6% yesterday afternoon, with gusts to 32MPH at the airport. Not quite that high here in the shelter of our hills. Almost wish I had thought to slice up a roast for some jerky on the fence.
Are exhaust fans over the kitchen range not a thing for some of you?
Have a Pit-Boss ceramic egg knockoff, Pit-Boss vertical pellet smoker, traditional Weber Kettle, tiny portable Weber kettle, big outhouse looking home built smoker when I’m really putting the meat out, a 2 burner camp stove with an add on flat top, and a couple turkey sized fryers, and going to add a Weber propane. All get used, often. Different horses for different courses.

Several days a week year round the cooking is outside.
Haha

That’s premium meat according to Old Toot
You gotta be a special form of retard to frequent a place called the 24hourcampfire, and not want to cook outside due to being outside.

LOL

#checkyourvaginathedoor
This entire thread should be banned I'm going to report this to Mr Bin....
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Many things taste better cooked with a fire and some good wood smoke. I wouldn't dream of not having a charcoal and gas grill. We cook outside almost everyday in the summer. And many days in winter.
Next up:

“Urinating Outside? Why Would You Needlessly Expose Yourself to the Elements?”

LOL
I always start the truck and get some heat going then pee in a airtight container.
Shooter in Idaho Shooter must stand for shooting hoops
Originally Posted by ironbender
Are exhaust fans over the kitchen range not a thing for some of you?

Ours don't work worth a crap.

I need to go to Kitchens are Us and get an industrial model.
If you think any electric range is a perfectly good way to cook, you don’t care enough about the quality of your food to understand why many of us also like to cook outside with wood or charcoal.
It will be 115* here today. I think I will go out and stand in front of a fire to drink beer.

It is a fact that bbqing was invented by women to get their simpleminded menfolk to cook dinner and get out of the house. Crafty gals baited the trap w/ beer.

mike r
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Now excuse whatsoever.

I lived/worked where an average day's high temp in July was 108F. Yes, just an average day. It was regularly over 115F, and one stretch was 5 days in a row, not just 5 days in July, over 120F with the hottest hovering between 126F-128F on the ranger station thermometer 1/2 mile down the road. Mine read about 122-124F.

I had a nicer grill then than I have now, charcoal of course. And it was well used in the summertime.

By the time it was starting to get dusk in the canyon, a couple hours early than up the hill, it was cool enough to cook. As in 110F or so. Besides cooking, one could get in some yard work as the sun was setting too. I once mowed the lawn and thought it was quite pleasant out, so I looked at the thermometer................104F.

Oh, we worked at least 8 hrs a day in that heat too. Of course, we started at 0600 so we could go home around 1430-1500 and get out of the heat, until it was time to ..............................grill some food.

Don't need any excuse. Already explained I prefer the taste of floured and pan fried fish, pork, beef, or chicken. Ridiculous summer temps only reinforce the desire to cook under the AC.

If anyone around here wanted to use a grill, there would be a grill on the patio. No one in this house actually wants to use one. If I bought the Traeger, it would sit out there in the sun and rain. Five years or ten years from now it would still be sitting there with the first 50 lb bag of pellets in the hopper.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
It will be 115* here today. I think I will go out and stand in front of a fire to drink beer.

Ha, good point!
rain, snow or shine, meat gets cooked outside here. Didn't know there was another way to do it.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by chris_c

this exactly.....

Weber grill.....Dutch ovens.......Blackstone griddle.....wood fired smoker

Same here, but my "arsenal" is a smoker, pellet grill, and Weber Kettle.

I am not trying to impress anyone!

You're a professional at being unimpressive, no matter the subject.
There's something to kill it and grill it. If it will hold together over flame on a grate, I've at least tried it. Only times not, it's precipitating (white or wet) and blowing hard, or well below zero.
Absolutely you need a BBQ and to cook outside. Especially in summer time. We live outside cooking over oak coals, listening to music, sharing stories, drinking beer.
Just this past weekend BBQ baby back ribs, homemade elk linquica and some pork belly!

Attached picture 198A03D3-E4FA-4F26-ACE2-1FA43A8AAE88.jpeg
Attached picture 1D2537C5-1AA0-4336-8669-0BDEA9ABFC44.jpeg

It is a fact that bbqing was invented by women to get their simpleminded menfolk to cook dinner and get out of the house. Crafty gals baited the trap w/ beer.

mike r

With temps like that, I might well adjust my outlook!
Probably will not break 60* here today.

It’s just terrible. 😉
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Now excuse whatsoever.

Don't need any excuse. Already explained I prefer the taste of floured and pan fried fish, pork, beef, or chicken. Ridiculous summer temps only reinforce the desire to cook under the AC.

If anyone around here wanted to use a grill, there would be a grill on the patio. No one in this house actually wants to use one. If I bought the Traeger, it would sit out there in the sun and rain. Five years or ten years from now it would still be sitting there with the first 50 lb bag of pellets in the hopper.

Yes, but will it make your wife happy?
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I am not trying to impress anyone!

You're a professional at being unimpressive, no matter the subject.

When the Texass Tornado , JGRimjob ,starts cutting on you , It’s real baddddd

mike r

He’s a dip schidt . It’s not like you have to be glued right in front of it the whole time. Go drink beer in the shade or even inside

Dumb azzes
Not really. She would grin for about five minutes when it came off the truck.

Then I would get hollered at for the next ten years because it would be sitting on the patio gathering cobwebs and harboring yellow jackets. And finally she would have somebody haul it up and toss it in the dumpster......along with the first bag of pellets ever bought for it.

After forty years, this ain't the first time I have seen this rodeo.
If it isn't for you then it isn't for you.

I don't flour them, but I can sizzle up a fine steak in a pan. I like them grilled too.
So, where on the "Man Card:, fine print, does it say we all have to like the exact same things? laugh

I know you are not talking about a stone axe. Or anti-ship missiles launched from submarines or surface craft.

You should be bludgeoned to near death with it for asking what a tomahawk is.

#Unredeemable

🦫
Originally Posted by 805
Absolutely you need a BBQ and to cook outside. Especially in summer time. We live outside cooking over oak coals, listening to music, sharing stories, drinking beer.
Just this past weekend BBQ baby back ribs, homemade elk linquica and some pork belly!

Still zero for zero.

I could have a half rack of the best beer available at the lake for a week with all the kids, and kids in law, and at the end of the week there would still be 9 or 10 left. The grandkids are not old enough to drink legally, and nobody is going to encourage them to do so.

The kids have heard all my stories. And no one around here cares enough about music to have ever even purchased a single.

Sometimes the radio will get turned on in the car.

#Unredeemable

🦫

Do you put Shake-n-Bake on it and throw it in the oven?
Originally Posted by mathman

#Unredeemable

🦫

Do you put Shake-n-Bake on it and throw it in the oven?

I see what you’re doing and I find it offensive.. 😝

Now, if I was Ducksanddogs, I would simply say. If Shake-n-Bake makes your wheels spin. You couldn’t do better than this fine cut of meat for a southern oven dish.

🦫
So, where on the "Man Card:, fine print, does it say we all have to like the exact same things? laugh

Go take up a collection plate

Smh
Don't forget the Diet Mt Dew and hot dog water ice cubes for the 40 year old Highland Park either. grin
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

I could have a half rack of the best beer available at the lake for a week with all the kids, and kids in law, and at the end of the week there would still be 9 or 10 left. The grandkids are not old enough to drink legally, and nobody is going to encourage them to do so.

The kids have heard all my stories. And no one around here cares enough about music to have ever even purchased a single.

Are your sterilized ? Asking, cuz your life seems boring as fûck.

LOL

🦫
Don't forget the Diet Mt Dew and hot dog water ice cubes for the 40 year old Highland Park either. grin

LMAO

🦫

Yeah, thats stupid. Bbq is great.

#fire

Amen!!
Originally Posted by 79S
Summer 12 I burned the back deck down bbq’ing wife won’t let me cook outside no mo. Matter of 20 minutes 10 grand back deck gone. My wife was pissed had to sleep in spare bedroom for a month. The going joke around here is he said “just a little more charcoal fluid”. What’s even more embarrassing my bud worked for the fire department and was on scene. I’m going to just stop talking about it.

Thats funny. Remember a smart indian makes a small fire. Dumb white man makes a huge fire and stand far away.

#Unredeemable

🦫

#beefsicle
#steaksicle
Anyone remember the old, Summer Kitchens?
Two fairly common tasks that I've never obversed my dad doing.

Mowing a lawn and cooking food.

I on the other hand have mowed countless acres and enjoy grilling the meats.

Grilling has become a hobby and we do it maybe 3-6 times a week.

Feel slightly emasculated following up Slum's uber setup.

FWIW the Weber has been used once since the BGE arrived...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Better put that on the Gram and see how many likes you get
Sam,

That Egg table is something to behold.

Nice work.
Oh my god.....you are only using BGE brand charcoal.....AREN'T YOU??!
Originally Posted by deflave
Sam,

That Egg table is something to behold.

Nice work.

Its disturbing.

Is that Murphys Oil Soap or Lemon Pledge?
Flave, I didn't build it, obviously...

Bought it back in Jan or Feb, no heated shop to stain wood so I lazied out and ordered one. JJGEORGE from North Carolona.

It started sagging and cracked a board so I added the center support, aluminum coasters for the bricks so it won't sink the pavers. The BGE is a heavy mofo!

Love it though.
(you were right...)

Get home, light it up, take a shower and it's ready to go.

Other than breakfast I literally never cook inside.
Oh my god.....you are only using BGE brand charcoal.....AREN'T YOU??!

Wigga pleaze.....

Jealous Devil ordered in to the local lumberyard.

The wood is extra fancy cedar coated with a nuclear war proof stain.

Slightly obscene I know...
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Sam,
Your yard is something to behold. Golf course fairway beholding.

👍🏼🦫
Is this inside, or outside?[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Stop poking the bear

LOL
Beav, I need to plant some trees!
I just charcoal grilled thick Ribeyes, pork chops, and chicken breast .

Mmm mmmm mf’er

LOL
Cooking is like taking a piss, sometimes it's just better not to do it in the cave.
Flave, I didn't build it, obviously...

Bought it back in Jan or Feb, no heated shop to stain wood so I lazied out and ordered one. JJGEORGE from North Carolona.

It started sagging and cracked a board so I added the center support, aluminum coasters for the bricks so it won't sink the pavers. The BGE is a heavy mofo!

Love it though.
(you were right...)

Get home, light it up, take a shower and it's ready to go.

Other than breakfast I literally never cook inside.

Seriously , why no heated shop ? Do you just freeze your azz off if something happens to break in Winter?

I’m sure it will be up your ass shortly.
That is a legitimate question.

Our problem with putting up a large building is that we are tight for build able space at the farm.

Pinched in between a highway and 3-4 year flood plain.

The farm has grown but the space has shrunk. Neighbors have property on one side that would be perfect but there are a dozen owners and buying would be impossible.

And building away from the house invites theft.

I would love to have more room close to home.
Looking good Sam. When I get a few days off, I'm pouring a slab for a party patio. The bride asked for it. I don't plan on showing her Slumlord's, lol.
No barns to finish off a corner or something ?
Anyone have a stamped concrete outdoor kitchen ? That’s what I’m thinking of doing at the farm

mike r

He’s a dip schidt . It’s not like you have to be glued right in front of it the whole time. Go drink beer in the shade or even inside

Dumb azzes

b browneye's new book HOW NOT TO STAND IN FRONT OF A FIRE.

mike r

mike r

Dumb azzes

b browneye's new book HOW NOT TO STAND IN FRONT OF A FIRE.

mike r

Shove it up your kghunt

LMAO

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

Heck ya Slum!! That is an awesome setup! I’m currently in the planning stages for an outdoor deck/bar/patio/hangout and may steal a few of those ideas.

Use that piss water in the green bottle to put out flare ups?
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

To each their own! BBQ is a staple in our house and will always be. I personally love to BBQ and enjoy the cooking just as much as the food itself. There are some foods that just have to be BBQ IMO.

Yowsers!!

Our problem with putting up a large building is that we are tight for build able space at the farm.

The farm has grown but the space has shrunk. Neighbors have property on one side that would be perfect but there are a dozen owners and buying would be impossible.

Stilts cuzzin. Like the beachfront property retards in hurricane land have.

Sam,

👍🏼🦫

#puttinggrenwithatampon.. grease thing
Nice
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

The fuggs he worried about.

He has a scraper and loads of free time.

Build a pad cuzzin!
It's easier freezing your ass off.

Or ordering a cheesy table...lol

Lawsuit incoming.

LOL

🦫

Sweet set up. You should sell ad space on the outfield fence.
I still enjoy it, when the occasion is right!

With an Advantium oven,(cook with high intensity lights), my wife, of 39 yrs has the meals prepped, while I'm still doing what ever it is I need to get done!
Yeah their pricey @ 2500.00 a pop, and were on our 2nd one after 25 yrs.
But we wouldn't change a thing!

Not trying to sound whatever here, but different strokes, for different folks!
I think we’d starve if we didn’t cook outside. We have a pretty nice gas heater in our kitchen shaped like a range that we’ll occasionally fire up to warm up the kitchen/dining room if it gets extra cold in the winter time.
Anyone have a stamped concrete outdoor kitchen ? That’s what I’m thinking of doing at the farm

I thought you were a concrete contractor.
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

To each their own! BBQ is a staple in our house and will always be. I personally love to BBQ and enjoy the cooking just as much as the food itself. There are some foods that just have to be BBQ IMO.

Besides a pot roast , can’t think of any cut of beef I’d not rather have it grilled.
Originally Posted by kingston

No
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

Besides a pot roast , can’t think of any cut of beef I’d not rather have it grilled.

I cook my roasts over charcoal.
Originally Posted by 805

Weber kettle
Chargrill ceramic egg
Weber Genesis propane

Heck ya Slum!! That is an awesome setup! I’m currently in the planning stages for an outdoor deck/bar/patio/hangout and may steal a few of those ideas.

Slum sets the bar for redneck riviera

#DaddyInLawLoaded

LMAO
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

Really ?
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

That’s what we’re doing tonight.

No

Being a cock taster at Big Harry’s Bear Den pays him better.

Tag

LOL

🦫

Funny. I contemplated building my ex wife (when we were still together ) one of those stilt caves in FL

some of the best cooking experience is all night cooks.

Me and the dogs, we will do up 4 or 5 boston butts, start about 9 pm. Get the slabs pulled with the front end loader that afternoon and bring a couple buckets and dump em.

Start my fire on the ground, first couple scoops of hickory coals go in and I’ll put a whole chicken on or some ‘country style pork ribs’

Those or that chicken will be ready at about 4am. Me and dogs will pick for us to eat then/there.
All the while the rest of the butts are doing their own thing taking on smoke for a few more hours before they get wrap in foil for final-finish which may not be till 10 or 11 am

Have to keep the fire going to make supplies for coals, pit needs a 1/2-1 shovel of coals every 90 mins to keep my temp zone.

All night under the stars, cooler of cold drinks or adult beverages.

break it all up, or let family break it up. I go and crash the rest of the afternoon, ain’t in the entertaining mood. eat left overs the next day in peace, same way I cooked it
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by 805

Still zero for zero.

Really ?

Yep.

Sometimes on the grate directly or in a aluminum pan with vegetables and broth.
Slum,

I’m stealing your block 3x8 cooking spread

No

Being a cock taster at Big Harry’s Bear Den pays him better.

Tag

LOL

🦫

Huh ?

Sam,

👍🏼🦫

No kidding. Diagonal mow pattern like MLB!

And, banging the Stella!

Sam,

👍🏼🦫

No kidding. Diagonal mow pattern like MLB!

And, banging the Stella!

Fugging high class fugger has the Auto Steer now.....
lol

I get a kick out of it when driving by the $$$ farmer fields and see skips.
Just went outside to move the lawn sprinkler, took a piss while I was at it.

Five mosquitoes landed on my dick.

Thats precision flying!

We’re they sharing a magnifying glass, this time ?

Punch to the plexes.

😝🦫

5!?! Must of been a crowded LZ.

Thats precision flying!

Hyper precision

Lmao

We’re they sharing a magnifying glass, this time ?

Punch to the plexes.

😝🦫

LOL
EVEN YOUR dumb azz got a piece

Pilings are common in permafrost building areas also.
Be like pilings common, bro

What what
Lol. Everybody jumping on Sammo dick jokes. 😂

Anyway, enjoy CiCi’s pizza, Idaho Shooter. Tell renegade we said hi.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL

🦫

I guess, if you asked, you must want to know for some reason.

But yes. Since Dec 31, 1984. No bother with birth control makes for much more fun in the sack.

Boring? Not at all. I just figure if I have to be drunk in order to stand the company of certain people, it is healthier, less expensive, less painful, and a whole lot wiser to just avoid said company, and enjoy life sober.

LOL

🦫

But yes. Since Dec 31, 1984. No bother with birth control makes for much more fun in the sack.

Boring? Not at all. I just figure if I have to be drunk in order to stand the company of certain people, it is healthier, less expensive, less painful, and a whole lot wiser to just avoid said company, and enjoy life sober.

She must be asking so she’ll know if she needs a female condom. LOL

Dude, I'm shell shocked right now!

Relentless attack on my schlong.

The one in the middle has your name all over it

Dude, I'm shell shocked right now!

Relentless attack on my shlong.

You got small feet and hands don’t you ?

LOL

🦫

You obviously ingested a metric schidt ton of Old Recipe Crayola Crayons when they were still legal

The condensed version is there’s millions Americans legallyy RETARDED due to eating Crayola crayons in elementary schools
On the real

Go up stairs and ask your mom.

Sacre’ bleau, mon neg !
Cooked burgers on mesquite this evening
I’ve got a moose roast in the masterbuilt electric 40” smoker right now over pecan and then it’s heading to a pile of charcoal for the final sear.

I guess I could use a George foreman. I guess I could also watch basketball. Zero chance of either happening, so I’ll stick with the coals and bourbon.

You let them stay, right? grin

That doesn't make it an aircraft carrier.

That doesn't make it an aircraft carrier.

LOL
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Sacre’ bleau, mon neg !

Still a Covtard. You’re grandfathered into Covidiots . Don’t Worry . LOL

Watch out for swelling. 🙈

Epic.

You let them stay, right? grin

Not enough room for more?
Am I the only one that's jealous of those Hi-Line mosquitoes?
Phuqck mosquitoes!!
Shooter in Idaho Shooter must stand for shooting hoops
lol !!
WARINING FOOD PORN AHEAD..

LOL

🦫

She must be asking so she’ll know if she needs a female condom. LOL

Britney, you poor thing....Sorry you keep getting urinary tract and yeast infections from your IUD.

See a gynecologist, stat.

#YouPussySmellsDead

LMAO

🦫
Five females suckin on your johnson at one time, impressive.

Damn, that looks good!

I will when I’m done with yours.

Done with it after your mom is? You have added absolutely nothing of anything to this thread, congrats. Waste of a poster nominee for the year

That looks amazing Wabigoon, reminds me I gotta get new oil for my fryer. Nice work!
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska

Damn, that looks good!

It was!! laugh
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Done with it after your mom is? You have added absolutely nothing of anything to this thread, congrats. Waste of a poster nominee for the year

Pm your address and I’ll get a hurt feelers report out for you
I BBQ up meat, corn and some veggies almost every day. Keeps the house cooler and I like the food cooked that way better than sautéed in a pan.
We cook outdoors so often it’s akin to using the microwave.

I do love the Minnesota FUDD types that think sparking up their Wal-Mart special once a year is a momentous occasion. They remove the cover, turn the propane on all slow, and let it warm up for two hours so they can blacken the hell outta some Oscar Meyer wieners.

You’d think they were launching a space shuttle.
Have eaten some people's BBQ, they should stick to the microwave.
90% of my meat is cooked on a Webber Kettle/propane grill year round. It tastes better and often I just through whatever veggies on with it and have no pots to clean.

I actually have a spare range in my garage that I use in the summer to prevent heating up the kitchen in the summer when we need to use the oven....it's my 'summer kitchen'.
My friend does an amazing job pan frying fish as well.

He breads with corn flake crumbs.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Have eaten some people's BBQ, they should stick to the microwave.

4 realz.

LOL
We cook outdoors so often it’s akin to using the microwave.

I do love the Minnesota FUDD types that think sparking up their Wal-Mart special once a year is a momentous occasion. They remove the cover, turn the propane on all slow, and let it warm up for two hours so they can blacken the hell outta some Oscar Meyer wieners.

You’d think they were launching a space shuttle.

Hahahaha!
And when they're done you'd think they were winterizing a RV for storage.

Cinching down straps, snapping buckles and schit. Giving it a little tug to make sure it's taut.
WOW. I log out for a few days and come back to a bunch threads about the gay. This one being the top of that list. Someone who doesn’t barbecue or know what a tomahawk ribeye is is extremely strange.
The wife asking for a simple, fun, family oriented thing to do is pretty telling.

LOL

Reminds me of the time Firebalzz wife logged on and told everybody he was a lazy piece of fugking schit. Can't make this schit up. LOL
No you can’t.
Reloader28 says that he pees sitting down because his wife tells him to.

LOL
🤣🤣🤣
As someone born in Idaho and still has family that ranch and farm there the OP has to be a transplant. I don’t know or have ever met anyone in the state of Idaho that doesn’t like to cook outside.
Put 'em on at 5:30 PM, take 'em off at 7:00 AM next day, never raise the lid, ugly till pulled.
Looking good, worriedman, looking good.
Originally Posted by worriedman
Put 'em on at 5:30 PM, take 'em off at 7:00 AM next day, never raise the lid, ugly till pulled.

You mean you didn’t stand right there beside the thing the whole time?

LOL
Tomahawk ribeyes are gayer'n aids.

Fugging city people.

Like a little extra bone eh?
I did not purchase them. They were provided at the barbecue. Tasted good
I use my grill regularly ( 3-5 days a week ) in summer to keep heat out of my kitchen. Fast to cook pork chops , chicken and such . and no clean up.....
Originally Posted by Springcove

I bet they were delicious.

I just cant believe anybody buys the stupid things.

Seems like a good way to turn the steak without messing up the sear.

Jim I have personally never bought one. The price on them is ridiculous. The one in the pick were cut by a local butcher and yes they were delicious.

On a side note my Lab got the bones. She was in heaven for days.
Tomahawk ribeyes are gayer'n aids.

Fugging city people.

Like a little extra bone eh?

You just keep making meat grow and dontcha worry over da bone.

😝🦫

Damn, just damn !

👍🏼🦫
WOW. I log out for a few days and come back to a bunch threads about the gay. This one being the top of that list. Someone who doesn’t barbecue or know what a tomahawk ribeye is is extremely strange.

Oh, I know all about ribeyes. I just never heard of one called a tomahawk before, and never saw one with that lower most tender piece removed before cooking.

As to the ribeye pictured earlier, I would not buy that even to make hambuger from. Ground meat is supposed to 93% to 95% lean, and I prefer my steaks the same.

By the time I got done trimming fat from the one pictured, and tossing it to the dog, the dog would be puking all over the house.

Wat?

I got a .50 cent pair of steak grabbing pliers that work fine.

I aint paying 10 bucks extra each time for some gawddang handle I cant eat.

Oh, I know all about ribeyes. I just never heard of called a tomahawk before, and never saw one with that lower most tender piece removed before cooking.

As to the ribeye pictured earlier, I would not buy that even yo make hambuger from. Ground meat is supposed to 93% to 95% lean, and I prefer my steaks the same.

By the time I got done trimming fat from the one pictured, and tossing it to the dog, the dog would be puking all over the house.

I'm at a loss for words.

Wat?

I got a .50 cent pair of steak grabbing pliers that work fine.

That wood fired barbecue they were cooking on was really cool. Not sure I would have wanted to try and flip that tomahawk by hand though…

Oh, I know all about ribeyes. I just never heard of one called a tomahawk before, and never saw one with that lower most tender piece removed before cooking.

As to the ribeye pictured earlier, I would not buy that even to make hambuger from. Ground meat is supposed to 93% to 95% lean, and I prefer my steaks the same.

Um 😕 no it is not!!!

Oh, I know all about ribeyes. I just never heard of called a tomahawk before, and never saw one with that lower most tender piece removed before cooking.

As to the ribeye pictured earlier, I would not buy that even yo make hambuger from. Ground meat is supposed to 93% to 95% lean, and I prefer my steaks the same.

I'm at a loss for words.

I know.

I think he is just trolling us now to see what we bite on.

I won't pay the same price per pound for bone on as compared to bone off. If there's no difference then they can keep the bone on steak.
Mathman, It is not just me. Momma prefers her meat lean as well.

If someone cooked that "tomahawk" pictured above and served it to her, she would (not so discretely) feed the entire thing to the dog. All the while discussing vociferously the disgusting fat on it.
I’m speechless. Anyone who knows anything about beef knows that fat equals flavor. There is a reason they produce it in different levels of Marbling.
Grass fed beef from my pasture. They never learn the taste of grain.

Don't care if it's Angus, Hereford, or a cross thereof. Kill them in the fall just before the grass goes away. Preferably at about 1600 to 1700 pounds live wt.

Perfection!

If we are slumming a holstein steer in hard times, he will get a bit of grain.
Here is why I don't like outdoor cooking.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/trio-of-bears-invade-campsite-at-sequoia-national-park/

grin

L.W.

Your loss, honestly....

Same here - likely skews a bit more to the outside.
And preferring the house smell daisy-fresh, not having the house smell like fish (or whatever) is appealing. blush
Once more gang, we don't all have to like the same things.

I'm at a loss for words.

Dry and flavorless, IMO.

IS; what is your preferred doneness for steak?

Grilling is American

Oh wait you’re Canadian

Lol

Nobody has to like the same things, but the things some like are truly outliers.

I'm at a loss for words.....From the start of this thread.

Fixt

😬🦫
Did someone say tomahawk?

Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Did someone say tomahawk?

Those are some fine looking steaks

Don't care if it's Angus, Hereford, or a cross thereof. Kill them in the fall just before the grass goes away. Preferably at about 1600 to 1700 pounds live wt.

Perfection!

Could you please post a pic of one of your raw ribeyes or strip steaks so I can get a read on the marbling?
I live in south east Michigan. Gets cold here in the winter for some. Not me. I grill 12 months of the year. Absolutely nothing better than any type of meat BBQed. Got some venison jerky smoking now as I type. Strictly charcoal. Not a bottle baby.

Perfection!

Could you please post a pic of one of your raw ribeyes or strip steaks so I can get a read on the marbling?

You have seen deer chops before yes?

Buffalo meat?

There ya go.

It can be delicious....if cooked properly.

Perfection!

Don’t do it Sc....Unless you have a tumbler full of ice and a full pour of that Jefferson’s in the picture.

😬🦫
I've eaten those and they were good. I think even a strictly grass fed beef would have more marbling than that, no?
We did some speedies on the grill for the 4th. Damn tasty
I've eaten those and they were good. I think even a strictly grass fed beef would have more marbling than that, no?

Geeze....not unless its really lush grass.

Maybe very very slightly more.
I was just thinking the genetics of an animal bred to put on weight would lend itself to a little more fat than a deer, etc., even on the same grass.

You actually grow them and you say no, so your word is good with me.
I was just thinking the genetics of an animal bred to put on weight would lend itself to a little more fat than a deer, etc., even on the same grass.

You actually grow them and you say no, so your word is good with me.

The buffalo mafia is always going on about how their meat is much healthier for you than beef.

Range buffalo is VERY lean.

A cow raised and fed the same way is indistinguishable from a buffalo.....fat and marbling wise.
I like fatty ground. Lean ground burgers suck.

Steaks? Lean or fat, a steak can taste great. Though, just because it's well marbled and tender doesn't mean it tastes great.

Plenty of bland beef that is tender and greasy.
That's one reason when I can get good ones I prefer strip steaks. A well marbled strip steak cooked medium rare is tender and juicy with a more robust flavor than a tenderloin and not as greasy as a ribeye.
I'm with ya MM. A

I've had ribeyes that were outstanding and some that left you wondering wtf was that flavorless meat you just ate and who da fugk smeared Vaseline over your face.

Jim I have personally never bought one. The price on them is ridiculous. The one in the pick were cut by a local butcher and yes they were delicious.

On a side note my Lab got the bones. She was in heaven for days.

I’d be too ascared to give my dogs cooked rib bones.

Geeze....not unless its really lush grass.

Maybe very very slightly more.

The real irony here is back in the day, all grass fed beef was solely raised and sold as an economy beef for budget watching consumers.

Interesting how over time slick marketing strategy can sway people's buying preferences to the point where less is worth more.

Many years ago I worked at a little privately owned neighborhood grocery. The owner did all the butchering.
He showed me several old tricks butchers commonly used. One was using old, unsold beef cuts in making ground beef / hamburger running it through the grinder multiple times adding some beef fat each time. When it was done it looked like it was made from a freshly killed beef in the display case.

Fugk off.
I have ordered ribeyes from a steakhouse and after eating them have wondered where the hell did those come from. Terrible is the only way to describe them.
I'm with ya MM. A

I've had ribeyes that were outstanding and some that left you wondering wtf was that flavorless meat you just ate and who da fugk smeared Vaseline over your face.

I've had a few ribeye steaks where the center section was a big letdown compared to the cap, even when the fattiness of all parts was just right.
I have ordered ribeyes from a steakhouse and after eating them have wondered where the hell did those come from. Terrible is the only way to describe them.

Ruth’s Chris’?

Once was enough for me.

Not all steakhouses are steakhouses.
I'm with ya MM. A

I've had a few ribeye steaks where the center section was a big letdown compared to the cap, even when the fattiness of all parts was just right.

Ribeye are the steak at our house.

Broiled.

Not all steakhouses are steakhouses.

Fact!
I like a good prime rib.

But not a barbecue guy. The house is surrounded by pastures. Yellow jackets arrive before the meat is cooked.

Its just a pain.

BMT
Originally Posted by BMT
I like a good prime rib.

But not a barbecue guy. The house is surrounded by pastures. Yellow jackets arrive before the meat is cooked.

Its just a pain.

BMT

#Oregon
LOL
I'm with ya MM. A

Ribeye are the steak at our house.

Broiled.

I tend to reach for the ribeyes too but here whoever runs the meat counter doesn't know what a porterhouse is. Sells them as T-bones.

Dry and flavorless, IMO.

Don't have to know what they call it at the steakhouse, because I will not eat beef from a restaurant. As I said earlier.

It is all force finished crap from the feedlots. And a good portion of it is Holstein anyway.

But I sear both sides and cook it long enough to change the texture of the interior from raw. I am not eating beef tartar.

Momma's steak, when I can get her to taste one has to be cooked for about ten minutes more. Then she will cut out a little circle of pure muscle to eat and feed the rest to the dog.
And now you can’t get a good steak at a restaurant.

LOL

This thread is a gem.

Dry and flavorless, IMO.

Don't have to know what they call it at the steakhouse, because I will not eat beef from a restaurant. As I said earlier.

It is all force finished crap from the feedlots. And a good portion of it is Holstein anyway.

But I sear both sides and cook it long enough to change the texture of the interior from raw. I am not eating beef tartar.

Momma's steak, when I can get her to taste one has to be cooked for about ten minutes more. Then she will cut out a little circle of pure muscle to eat and feed the rest to the dog.

Alrighty then.

Enjoy!

I tend to reach for the ribeyes too but here whoever runs the meat counter doesn't know what a porterhouse is. Sells them as T-bones.

That is not surprising to me.
If you ever thought that you found a ribeye that was 95% lean, what you bought was a round steak and you'd best have sharp teeth if you are going to barbecue it. The fat marbling in the meat is what determines the grade. A USDA grade good has way less fat content than a USDA choice or prime piece of meat. The wife has taken to liking Angus choice tenderloin at 3x the price of the burned out old milk cow tenderloin that shows up in most meat cases locally.

LOL

This thread is a gem.

I had no idea this was true, but I'll save a lot of money from this point on. I used to hit (pun intended) two steakhouses when I lived in NYC...Sparks and Peter Luger (which was a bit of a challenge since I don't mix meat and dairy, and they finish their Porterhouses in butter). While I don't miss Luger's steaks, Sparks had steak perfection. Whatever brings you there, Sparks' steaks are to die for.
Thread Started by a flaming liberal

LMAO

Momma's steak, when I can get her to taste one.

LOL

This thread is a gem.

What a surprise.

Don't blame momma at all.

Dog probably begs for Tums.
New York Strip.
Thick cut ribeye
Originally Posted by Remsen

LOL

This thread is a gem.

I had no idea this was true, but I'll save a lot of money from this point on. I used to hit (pun intended) two steakhouses when I lived in NYC...Sparks and Peter Luger (which was a bit of a challenge since I don't mix meat and dairy, and they finish their Porterhouses in butter). While I don't miss Luger's steaks, Sparks had steak perfection. Whatever brings you there, Sparks' steaks are to die for.

It’s amazing what can be had when you spend more than $12.99.

LOL

LOL

This thread is a gem.

Ya that’s just not true and if it is you’re at the wrong steakhouse.

Or there is shenanigans afoot…😂
Don’t know schidt about steak but a fugking expert on Covid

LOL
I am glad to know that Jim knows what I am talking about when it comes to raising a great tasting steak. You guys that have purchased your meat from the market your whole life have no clue.

I mentioned Angus and Herford earlier.

My Son in Law imported a half dozen longhorn cows onto the place a few years ago. We butchered several before we got tired of rebuilding fences behind the dirty bastards and hauled them all to the auction.

But anyway. The longhorns butchered out about 95% as compared to the Angus from the same pasture. I was pleasantly surprised.

The bottom line is, a cow's digestive system is perfectly tuned to young tender grass pasture. If you rotate your pastures, and never let the grass get over about four inches high, and move the cattle on to the next before they have to work for grass, you will raise fine beef.

I like a calf born in July or August and weaned in May before he is a year old. Feed him good sweet alfalfa hay the second winter, back on young tender grass by April 15. And hanging on a hook by the 1'st of November at 26 to 27 months

I have a good friend who raises bison. He has 160 head across the road from my house and sells meat at premium prices. His stock is fed out exactly the same as mine, it just takes twice as long for his to get to butcher weight.

Flavor? I find the bison to be very slightly more "gamey"
I had to look up a picture of a Sparks sirloin and now I'm really hungry.

Description: Steak
Attached picture new-york-city.jpg
Oh fook me, that looks good.

Just look at goon's pic and it'll kill that appetite.

Works out for me. I pick out the ones with the full filet. Thank you sir may I have another. They were on sale last weekend, got a couple of beauties and hammered them already.

WTF is going on with that chop on the top left?

LOL

Mid-cook snack?
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Just look at goon's pic and it'll kill that appetite.

Diane's Chicken and cucumber salad won't do much for you either.

LOL

Works out for me. I pick out the ones with the full filet. Thank you sir may I have another. They were on sale last weekend, got a couple of beauties and hammered them already.

"WINNING! DUHHHH!"

-Charlie Sheen
So in Idaho when rotating pasture you put them in a new pasture with 4” of grass ?
Don’t sound right

And a cow butchering out at 95% doesn’t either
How many of you poor fuggers have never tasted a steak which was not force fed on corn and dry urea through a feedlot?

Sure, beef is less expensive to produce in that manner. And it is faster. But it sure as hell does not taste better.

The same guy will scream all day about GM9 this, GMO that, or pesticides. But happily eat steak fed out on dry urea.
How many of you poor fuggers have never tasted a steak which was not force fed on corn and dry urea through a feedlot?

Sure, beef is less expensive to produce in that manner. And it is faster. But it sure as hell does not taste better.

The same guy will scream all day about GM9 this, GMO that, or pesticides. But happily eat steak fed out on dry urea.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Free range chickens. Grass fed beef. Electric cars.

Stick 'em up your ass. NGAF.

I have. My family has reached and farmed in Northern Nevada and Southwest Idaho for a long time. The ham in my freezer came off one of those ranches.

Just buy the fillet then and forget needing to eat through the tougher ribeye portion on the other side of the T-bone or porterhouse. You are going to eat the fillet portion first anyway, right?

"WINNING! DUHHHH!"

-Charlie Sheen

Haha! I'm so dumb. I might go make my own broadheads in a bit. You still have a standing invitation Deflave
Originally Posted by Windfall

Just buy the fillet then and forget needing to eat through the tougher ribeye portion on the other side of the T-bone or porterhouse. You are going to eat the fillet portion first anyway, right?

Hand your man card over right now. That other side is the NY strip

That is a perfectly cooked steak.

Haha! I'm so dumb. I might go make my own broadheads in a bit. You still have a standing invitation Deflave

I would love to come up there for a week or two.

My wife cooks a steak exactly like that in a frying pan...just not as well done hopefully. I wasn't going to mention that on a outdoor cooking thread.
Put a little Everglades and some pepper rubbed in on a prime ribeye an let it rest on the counter an hour or two, then sear in butter and Worcestershire sauce for a couple of minutes on each side, it doesn't get much better than that. IMO

The guy down the road from me raises nothing but Hereford. My buddy’s nephew won’t raise anything but Black Angus. With the exception of some longhorn that I’ll pick up from a local old dude, the previous two are the only place I get my beef critters.

I know good beef, and I know that there are restaurants that do iit justice.

I'm at a loss for words.

Dang...
Four pastures. Move the cows once a week. Let the horses in behind the cows to finish up any coarser stull the cows left.

How much does your lawn grow in two weeks?

If the critters don't t keep it cropped short enough, you clip it with the tractor and mower.

Beef butcher out at 60 to 65%.
Originally Posted by Windfall

Hand your man card over right now. That other side is the NY strip

Okay, the short loin then just behind the rib portion, but the point is a NY strip it is still a tougher cut than the under used more tender tenderloin muscle.
I understand rotation but expected it to be taller than 4” at the beginning. I don’t believe you’re correct but roll with it

LOL
Cooked properly the strip isn't tough and it has more flavor than the tenderloin.
Tenderness is not the only consideration with beef.

Everybody wants fall apart fork tender.

Stuff and nonsense.

I will take flavor.

Which is why grass fat can be really really good.

But not often...
Charcoal cooked Angus is tha schiz-nit.

Stuff and nonsense.

I will take flavor.

But not often...

Exactly.

Bless you, Jim.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Free range chickens. Grass fed beef. Electric cars.

Stick 'em up your ass. NGAF.

You got that a bit backwards. That grass fed beef and free range chicken goes right along with heirloom tomatoes corn, and apples.

That is the way our ancestors did it, and still the best way. Nothing is more conservative than that.

Electric cars are queermobiles and go right along with man buns and Jesus sandles.

My skiff isn't a pirate boat anymore and I would send you home with more salmon than you could eat in a year. Just sayin.
Lol, my fishing buddy Marc, eats his steaks raw with just some lemon juice.
This discussion inspired a little trip down memory lane. Two sets of grandparents came to Idaho in the mid thirties.

Six sets of Aunts and Uncles with 30 cousins, plus my folks with six kids. Every family owned livestock. Every one of them raised their own beef and chickens. Plus most of them had deer and elk in the freezer.

And there was not an outside grill anywhere in the family. Not even s hibachi. At family gatherings at the park, Aunties would bring charcoal and cook hotdogs and hamburgers on the grills built at the park.

Some of the cousins started buying grills in the '80s. They still are far from universal among my family. Most of the beer drinkers have grills. Maybe there is a correlation.

My skiff isn't a pirate boat anymore and I would send you home with more salmon than you could eat in a year. Just sayin.

God damn.

Does he put an egg yolk on top?
IS is a good storyteller , I’ll give him that

Why? He can’t cook?

🦫

Why? He can’t cook?

🦫

Does he wear a loin cloth when he eats raw steak?

Carry a club too?

Tough sumbitch!!

Why? He can’t cook?

🦫

oh, he cooks pretty well, he just likes to eat his steaks like that sometimes.

Why? He can’t cook?

🦫

Carry a club too?

Tough sumbitch!!

He squeezes work in between fishing.

Why? He can’t cook?

🦫

Carry a club too?

Tough sumbitch!!

He squeezes work in between fishing.

At least he has his priorities straight!
We need a side dish.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My favorite part is hearing about people saying marketing ruined good beef and blah blah blah and they tout Angus in the same sentence.

Read a book for once.

Dry and flavorless, IMO.

Ummm, no, a good portion is not holstein if you are talking center cuts in the restaurant trade.

And what exactly does force finished mean?

If you are insistent there is no good meat to be had in restaurants, that's your view. But, you are dead wrong.
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
My favorite part is hearing about people saying marketing ruined good beef and blah blah blah and they tout Angus in the same sentence.

Read a book for once.

LOL
We need a side dish.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Somebody needs to right hook that plate across the left side of your face.

Stuff and nonsense.

I will take flavor.

But not often...

Winner, winner.

Flavor trumps tenderness for me.

I have had some really good beef in Argentina and Uruguay and even Brazil. Older so it's tougher but pretty flavorful.

Idaho Shooter, just how much urea is force finished into a feedlot ration on typical steers?

Lean beef is good for one thing Carne Asada.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Dry and flavorless, IMO.

Ummm, no, a good portion is not holstein if you are talking center cuts in the restaurant trade.

And what exactly does force finished mean?

If you are insistent there is no good meat to be had in restaurants, that's your view. But, you are dead wrong.

At this point IS is using all the rope given here to hang the fugk outta himself LOL
Here’s an exercise… At the risk of being flamed (for some reason?) for buying tomahawks, here are three different steaks. The photos show before cooking, after cooking and before cutting, and then a photo of them after being cut.

Someone tells me which set of photos is commercially (grain) finished beef and which set of photos is entirely grass fed, small operation beef, and why you came to that conclusion, and I’ll be impressed.

Until then, I’m gonna keep running this grill like a prom date and enjoying all sorts of stuff I cook outside, whether it’s grass or grain fed.

For what it’s worth, both were exceptional, but I feel like you’re more likely to get both flavor and tenderness from a grain finished beef than you will on grass fed. It’s easy, it’s cheap, but it’s fairly reliable. Grass fed CAN be good, but the rancher, the butcher, and the chef all need to know what they’re doing. It’s awfully tough to mess up a steer by feeding him corn in his final days…

Set 1:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Set 2:

You’re making me hungry. Those look damn good
IS is Google fu-ing or texting neighbors LMAO
Now that is cooked to perfection!

Top steaks resemble our grass/alfalfa/pea wheat pellet finished beef. We ran out of silage a few weeks before the last two were butchered....

And call me crazy but I prefer the leaner cuts. I'll take a fancy sirloin or tri-tip or T-bone over a high grade rib steak.

Read a book for once.

Curious, do you have a preference for what we have available locally? I've been getting most of my stuff at Mat Valley Meats, and so far, so good. I've been looking at buying a half beef from Hungate, but they have Angus... not sure if there's better up here.
Nothing wrong with a medium Sirloin . Not a damn thing
Meat cooked over fire.

We've been doing it for a while. When it stops, we aren't gonna last much longer.
Nothing wrong with a medium Sirloin . Not a damn thing

Baseball cut sirloin.

Rare.

And, it's Kansas City strip, dammit.
I like sirloin.
Coulotte Sirloin roast... If you haven't had it, your're missing out
I like sirloin.

You like bugs on your tomatoes, too.
This is homegrown burger, we told the butcher to shoot for 90/10.

It's a little leaner than I'd prefer but still great burger IMHO.

Mesquite smoking as we speak!

Originally Posted by LoadClear

Read a book for once.

Curious, do you have a preference for what we have available locally? I've been getting most of my stuff at Mat Valley Meats, and so far, so good. I've been looking at buying a half beef from Hungate, but they have Angus... not sure if there's better up here.

I’m not saying Angus is necessarily bad, but the entire Angus is incredible thing is solely based on marketing. A lot of it had to do with Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. and their Angus burgers.

There are better beef to be had. I once read that Galloways can finish damn near USDA Prime on scrub grass that other breeds pass up and struggle to finish Choice on the “better” forage.

As for up here, I don’t really favor one place over the other, I just look at the cuts whenever I’m in different places and if I see something that looks good, I buy it. I’ve seen pretty good stuff at Mat Valley, but I’ve also seen some real winners at Fred’s over in the case. The trick is to keep your eyes peeled for the USDA Prime ribeyes. Most folks won’t pay what they’re asking, so once you see a batch show up in the case that look pretty good, if you’re not willing to pull the trigger, come back in a few days and they’ll likely be on sale. I tend to buy them when I see them, though. I’m also “that guy” who asks the butcher to move the top layer of steaks so I can see what’s on the level below, covered in butcher paper waiting on the stuff on top to sell before being exposed.

More often than not, we’re eating moose/caribou, so I tend to get kinda picky if I’m shopping for beef. Only place I’ve seen that never really seems to have the occasional winner is Three Bears, but I also don’t go there looking for beef; I’m usually just swinging through to see if they’ve gotten any reloading components or ammo in.

Read a book for once.

I’m not saying Angus is necessarily bad, but the entire Angus is incredible thing is solely based on marketing. A lot of it had to do with Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. and their Angus burgers.

There are better beef to be had. I once read that Galloways can finish damn near USDA Prime on scrub grass that other breeds pass up and struggle to finish Choice on the “better” forage.

As for up here, I don’t really favor one place over the other, I just look at the cuts whenever I’m in different places and if I see something that looks good, I buy it. I’ve seen pretty good stuff at Mat Valley, but I’ve also seen some real winners at Fred’s over in the case. The trick is to keep your eyes peeled for the USDA Prime ribeyes. Most folks won’t pay what they’re asking, so once you see a batch show up in the case that look pretty good, if you’re not willing to pull the trigger, come back in a few days and they’ll likely be on sale. I’m also “that guy” who asks the butcher to move the top layer of steaks so I can see what’s on the level below, covered in butcher paper waiting on the stuff on top to sell before being exposed.

More often than not, we’re eating moose/caribou, so I tend to get kinda picky if I’m shopping for beef. Only place I’ve seen that never really seems to have the occasional winner is Three Bears, but I also don’t go there looking for beef; I’m usually just swinging through to see if they’ve gotten any reloading components or ammo in.

Roger that... I'm about 60/40 between Mat Valley and Freddies. I quit buying at Three Bears when I bought a Prime rib roast that was spoiled, and the a-whole butcher claimed that I didn't cook it long enough. Plus a few of their primal NY and Rib cuts looked like they were ripped off the side of the cow with an excavator ripping bucket (found out once the vacuum packaging was removed for cutting). I've had above average luck at Cubby's IGA in Trapper Creek.

I'm still in the hunt for a good reliable supply locally. I'll give Hungate a try, and see what happens,

Thanks

Read a book for once.

As for up here, I don’t really favor one place over the other, I just look at the cuts whenever I’m in different places and if I see something that looks good, I buy it. I’ve seen pretty good stuff at Mat Valley, but I’ve also seen some real winners at Fred’s over in the case. The trick is to keep your eyes peeled for the USDA Prime ribeyes. Most folks won’t pay what they’re asking, so once you see a batch show up in the case that look pretty good, if you’re not willing to pull the trigger, come back in a few days and they’ll likely be on sale. I’m also “that guy” who asks the butcher to move the top layer of steaks so I can see what’s on the level below, covered in butcher paper waiting on the stuff on top to sell before being exposed.

Roger that... I'm about 60/40 between Mat Valley and Freddies. I quit buying at Three Bears when I bought a Prime rib roast that was spoiled, and the a-whole butcher claimed that I didn't cook it long enough. Plus a few of their primal NY and Rib cuts looked like they were ripped off the side of the cow with an excavator ripping bucket (found out once the vacuum packaging was removed for cutting). I've had above average luck at Cubby's IGA in Trapper Creek.

I'm still in the hunt for a good reliable supply locally. I'll give Hungate a try, and see what happens,

Thanks

Yeah, on Valentine’s Day in 2020, they had those bulk/uncut ribeyes for like $4.99 and they’d cut/wrap them for you. I went deep. I think I bought 60-70 pounds’ worth. Ended up regretting that decision after I saw them cut, and I haven’t seen great options in there since.

There are better beef to be had.

From a producers standpoint black Angus are top end.

Of course I'm mostly concerned with disposition and what they bring in the sales ring.

The buyers want them and they handle our climate so they work for us.

We are 99.9% straight black Angus, one Char cross cow in the entire herd and when she's gone that'll be it for off color. A uniform set of calves always sells better

Idaho Shooter, just how much urea is force finished into a feedlot ration on typical steers?

Hopefully not more than 1% of a super high quality grain rich ration and half that of a rougher ration.

I prefer to feed all the urea to the grass and let the cow eat the grass.

All you folks claiming that a decent steak can be found in a restaurant?

At what price?

I guarandamntee nobody in this household is paying $20/pound for meat even if it is precooked and carried to the table by a nude supermodel.

Certainly not when there is a 25 cu ft freezer in the garage ALMOST running over with the same stuff.
Well you’re fugked because there’s no steak at a restaurant to suit and you damn sure can’t grill one. There’s always chicken

From a producers standpoint black Angus work for us.

Of course I'm mostly concerned with disposition and what they bring in the sales ring.

We are 99.9% straight black Angus, one Char cross cow in the entire herd and when she's gone that'll be it for off color. A uniform set of calves always sells better

So Sam, the black calves are actually outselling herford now?

20 years ago, I had my fingers more in the game than just raising three or four to feed the family each year.

Back then, around here anyway, "English" all sold about the same.

I have noticed there are few herfords grazing in the pastures around here.
One of my favorite things to grill is a whole chicken.

Bought one of those ceramic beer can chicken deals and it works great.
I don;t knock any breed of cattle.
Well you’re fugked because there’s no steak at a restaurant to suit and you damn sure can’t grill one. There’s always chicken

Been perfectly happy eating all cuts of beef, pork, and chicken with no use of a grill for sixty five years. That sure as hell ain't about to change now.

Idaho, oh yeah, at least here they sure do.

I'm not dogging on Herefords and they bring good money but I would wager the blacks go higher.

Another $50-100/head adds up.

Main thing is uniformity. Rainbow herds sometimes get dinged a little, that and big heads, overly big bones, buyers don't like that.....lol

Hopefully not more than 1% of a super high quality grain rich ration and half that of a rougher ration.

At what price?

I guarandamntee nobody in this household is paying $20/pound for meat even if it is precooked and carried to the table by a nude supermodel.

Certainly not when there is a 25 cu ft freezer in the garage ALMOST running over with the same stuff.

Whoa. WHOA! right there podner!

Needs nude pics of the supermodel.
At the risk of campfire scorn, some of the best steak I’ve had is Chuck steak.

Carefully selected though.

ETA: too often they look less like marble and more like a metamorphic schist.
geology joke there. 😁
Freezer running over with the same stuff.........

Thats like saying grandmas spaghetti is just the same as Beefaroni.
Chuckeyes can be good, I had the butcher save 'em.

Went all steaks and burger, other than the tri tips, no roasts.
OK, it's hard to ruin a good cut of meat.

Taking a bad piece of any meat, and making it taste good IS, cooking.
Chuckeyes can be good, I had the butcher save 'em.

Went all steaks and burger, other than the tri tips, no roasts.

Sammo! Can be good? My favorite steak going..
Greg, every once in awhile I've had a funky cut one that was chewier than normal.

Flavorful cut though!
When you get a piece that gets bigger the more you chew it, ugh.
Greg, every once in awhile I've had a funky cut one that was chewier than normal.

Flavorful cut though!

Man, never had one of those and we get them as often as I ask for them....

Idaho, oh yeah, at least here they sure do.

I'm not dogging on Herefords and they bring good money but I would wager the blacks go higher.

Another $50-100/head adds up.

Main thing is uniformity. Rainbow herds sometimes get dinged a little, that and big heads, overly big bones, buyers don't like that.....lol

$100 even $50/head is a hell of a difference in what is a marginal profit margin to begin with.

So, a question?
For about a half century that I am aware of (prior to 1980 when we started to see herds running black bulls) people were periodically crossing shorthorn into their herfords to increase milk production and get heavier calves at weaning.

So, is there any such issue with black cows? No need for outcrosses to get more milk?

At what price?

Price depends on whether you have dessert coffee with the meal...

I've spent $60 just for the steak at a top restaurant and it was worth it. Anything I can still remember years later is something special, or toxic. A Sparks steak ain't toxic.

From a producers standpoint black Angus are top end.

Oh 100%. People will pay for them every day of the week. Especially up there, you’d be hard pressed to pick a better breed. I’ve seen a handful of Baldies up that way, too, but I guess that’s guys trying to capitalize on vigor. Ran across a few folks raising Highlands, too.

My only point is that, on the table at least, Angus gets this cult following as though it’s the finest available. You see it in grocery stores, too, by looking at the price tag. The American Angus Association is responsible for that - right, wrong, or indifferent. I’m not knocking Angus, by any means, either. It’s good beef, hands down. It just blows my mind to be able to get equal or better quality meat for less coin, based on nothing more than marketing.

That said, if I was raising Angus, I wouldn’t have anything else in my freezer, either. Well, except maybe some Oscar Mayer bologna and Fireball.
Coulotte Sirloin roast... If you haven't had it, your're missing out

Pecanha.......waaaay good!
Fireball in the freezer? No wonder. grin

At what price?

Your favorite cut is still a tube steak.
Fireball in the freezer? No wonder. grin

Right beside my Oscar Mayer. Spoiler alert, the only whiskey I keep in my freezer is my mixing whiskey, that way it’s good and cold. Sadly, Fireball didn’t make the cut. It’s kept in the liquor cabinet to be enjoyed neat.

Snapped this quick photo of my mixers before throwing them in the freezer…

You're a sick one. grin
Du Schweinehund! Du faul Schwein!!!

I lit up the charcoal grill at 6 pm. Using organic charcoal and big chunks of mesquite, my brother cooked up 10 pounds of chicken legs and thighs. Magnificent! Wonderful!! Can't come close to that with the oven. Are you kidding?

At what price?

So 1 % tops.

Can you tell me exactly what the problem is with urea?
OK, it's hard to ruin a good cut of meat.

Taking a bad piece of any meat, and making it taste good IS, cooking.

I don’t know about all that

The same guy will scream all day about GMO this, GMO that, or pesticides. But happily eat steak fed out on dry urea.

At what price?

So 1 % tops.

Possibly nothing. But meat is what the animal eats.

I tasted a steak once that some guy raised on waste products from a local potato processor including truck loads of cull french fries. There was absolutely no mistaking the taste of rancid oil in the meat.

Can you tell me what is wrong with GMO corn, or GMO rice, or GMO potatoes, or even GMO wheat if such a thing existed?

Lots of folks refuse to eat GMO anything. Lots of people pay exorbitant prices for food with an "organic" label.

They eat what they prefer. I prefer my beef to be grass fed. Same difference.

I sure as hell have not been proselytizing. You folks eat what you like. I like the beef that comes out of our freezer raised on our home grown grass and alfalfa hay, and cooked on our kitchen range.

I also much preferred the fruits, tomatoes, and corn, other veggies, and melons grown in our garden over what is available at the market. Same thing.

And you folks can keep on eating the picked green, shelf ripened crap they sell in the produce section of the grocery as well.
I’m gonna have to take a page from Mathman’s book here, when he’s discussing whiskey. You’re cheating that beef by cooking it indoors. Meat needs burning wood (just like Duck911).

But, to take a page from my own book, who gives a crap. If you like it cooked on a range, that’s your right. Get some. Who am I to be worried about how someone eats? Not my preference, but then again, not everyone can be right.

The same guy will scream all day about GMO this, GMO that, or pesticides. But happily eat steak fed out on dry urea.

At what price?

So 1 % tops.

I tasted a steak once that some guy raised on waste products from a local potato processor including truck loads of cull french fries. There was absolutely no mistaking the taste of rancid oil in the meat.

Can you tell me what is wrong with GMO corn, or GMO rice, or GMO potatoes, or even GMO wheat if such a thing existed?

Lots of folks refuse to eat GMO anything. Lots of people pay exorbitant prices for food with an "organic" label.

I sure as hell have not been proselytizing. You folks eat what you like. I like the beef that comes out of our freezer raised on our home grown grass and alfalfa hay, and cooked on our kitchen range.

I also much preferred the fruits, tomatoes, and corn, other veggies, and melons grown in our garden over what is available at the market. Same thing.

And you folks can keep on eating the picked green, shelf ripened crap they sell in the produce section of the grocery as well.

Please espouse what happens in the steer's gut to urea. And how that might have an impact on any end product.

At what price?

So 1 % tops.

But yes you have been proselytizing. Beating your chest about how bad feedlot finished cattle are and especially how bad urea is in a calf's diet. And you don't know much of anything about this topic as evidenced by your posts.

Yes, there are some feeds that can have an impact on flavor. Most of those would be lipid-soluble things that are captured in the fat of the enimal after ingesting it. Onions can impact flavor as can garlic in feed.

I am going to save you the time with google. Urea is broken down into CO2 and 2 ammonia molecules. The ammonia is utlized by rumen bacteria where it is broken down into it's components which are nitrogen and hydrogen and proteins are formed from that.

So your negative connotation and infatuation with feeding urea is baseless.

You know not of what you speak.
One of my favorite things to grill is a whole chicken.

Bought one of those ceramic beer can chicken deals and it works great.

I agree, those beer can chicken things are great. However, try a spatchcock chicken sometime. You'll like it.

Read a book for once.

Thanks

Give Bear Mountain Meats a try. They've cut a lot of moose and caribou for me and their hotdogs and hunter sticks are fantastic. We bought a 1/2 beef and a whole hog from them last year and both were wonderful. They are located out of Palmer on the Old Glenn Highway heading toward Butte. Good guys and their hams and bacon are outstanding. 907-745-4756
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska

Read a book for once.

Thanks

Give Bear Mountain Meats a try. They've cut a lot of moose and caribou for me and their hotdogs and hunter sticks are fantastic. We bought a 1/2 beef and a whole hog from them last year and both were wonderful. They are located out of Palmer on the Old Glenn Highway heading toward Butte. Good guys and their hams and bacon are outstanding. 907-745-4756

I’ll check them out. Drive past there all the time but always assumed it was more of a game processing place than somewhere to go find a good ribeye. Do my own processing so I typically drive by those places without slowing down.

Any idea where they got the hog? I bought one from a small place off the farm loop a few years back. It was good, but not overwhelmingly so. Would love to have a line on decent hogs. You know - so I can cook baby backs on my stove?

You know - so I can cook baby backs on my stove?

Hey! Ain't nuthin wrong with boiled baby backs and ketchup you sunsabitches!

- Idaho Shooter
Originally Posted by Rooster7

You know - so I can cook baby backs on my stove?

Hey! Ain't nuthin wrong with boiled baby backs and ketchup you sunsabitches!

- Idaho Shooter

Toss in a little rice and you’ve got yourself a mighty fine paella.
Haha!

They have that pre cooked rice now too.
Haha!

Right out of the garden?
Haha!

Not precooked rice but they do make actual rice cookers.

Fuggin people could sell ice to eskimos.
Idaho Poofer sees a manly grill, and urea runs down his leg.
Haha!

Right out of the garden?

Well, we wont use it because it has too much fat and fluoride in it.

I only eat heirloom rice that my Vietnamese love child harvests from one of 4 rotating rice paddies in the back yard.
Haha!

They do. I’ve seen it.
Haha!

Right out of the garden?

I only eat heirloom rice that my Vietnamese love child harvests from one of 4 rotating rice paddies in the back yard.

4 rotating rice paddies in the back yard = Vietnamese love child paddocks?

Solid.
Haha!

They do. I’ve seen it.

Conrad is an Eskimo.
Haha!

Right out of the garden?

I've seen those rotating rice paddies advertised on top of the Cenex gas pumps in ND too. Buy two get one free if you sign up for a 1% cash back gas card.
Haha!

They do. I’ve seen it.

Conrad is an Eskimo.

I have a rice cooker!

It was a wedding gift.

Haha!

They do. I’ve seen it.

Conrad is an Eskimo.

I have a rice cooker!

It was a wedding gift.

I do too it's a 4 qt sauce pan with a lid. Works like a champ.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’ll check them out. Drive past there all the time but always assumed it was more of a game processing place than somewhere to go find a good ribeye. Do my own processing so I typically drive by those places without slowing down.

Any idea where they got the hog? I bought one from a small place off the farm loop a few years back. It was good, but not overwhelmingly so. Would love to have a line on decent hogs. You know - so I can cook baby backs on my stove?[/quote]

Usually local but sometimes they get them from Delta
Rice cookers are great. You can put them off to the side and leave more real estate on the cooktop for other things. We eat more than a little rice in Louisiana and a whole lot of us use cookers.
Ground meat is supposed to 93% to 95% lean, and I prefer my steaks the same. = hockey puck..
Ground meat is supposed to 93% to 95% lean, and I prefer my steaks the same. = hockey puck..

If you have less than 10% fat, you are going to have a hard time keeping the meat together as you cook.

If you have less than 10% fat, you are going to have a hard time keeping the meat together as you cook.

He was making fun of Imaho Shooter
We cook year 'round outside thanks to our covered deck........ Love it!!

Tarkio, the stores are full of lean and extra lean ground beef. Lean is defined as 92% lean minimum. Extra lean is 96% lean minimum. If I am reduced to purchasing commercial ground beef, it is lean at the least.

When butchering elk or deer, the game meat is blended 50/50% with lean beef before grinding. Never is any fat added.

Wife must be an exceptional cook, as she never has any trouble dealing with such burger. But I already knew that.
© 24hourcampfire