Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 201 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 200 201
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
A couple of recovered bullet weights for the record.......

Mark V .460 Weatherby Magnum

400gn Barnes XFB over 110gn AR2208/VARGET for 2750fps gained 5 feet penetration into Scrub Bull retaining 293 grains. All petals lost but a mushroom still began to form on the shank. Range approx 75yds. Retained and expanded length is .680" (Bull is pictured in Barnes #4 Manual under .460 Wby Loads)

That sounds right. The copper petals of an X-bullet are tough enough to stay on until somewhat over 2500 fps. At 2700 fps they would blow off pretty surely, leaving a copper FN of sorts
to penetrate deeply after shedding the drogue-parachute petals
Even the GSC FN bullets (monometal copper) expanded their noses when they hit my test media at 2700 fps.
Brass FN solids maintained their shape at 2800 fps, penetrated deeper.

Still have a few of those 400grainers loaded up in the .458 Winchester cases using 74gn of H 4198 and chronographing @ 2434fps.

2500 to 2600 fps is better with 400-grainers in the .458 WM+.

550gn Woodleigh Weldcore RN over 121gn IMR4831 for 2509fps into Bison and retained 458 grains and expanded to retain approx .388" shank and max expansion width of 1.155". Range approx 60yds. Bison was bled out in the field and transported back to scale a weight of 2,3XX lbs. Aged at 10.5 years.

John

That was a huge bison, and a very old one ! Where is a picture of that one, please !
Shank height of 0.388" on the Woodleigh 550-gr RNSN that started off at 1.414" length, and expansion to 250% of original diameter, and 83% weight retention:
2509 fps MV impacting at 60 yards, probably about 2375 fps, exceeded Woodleigh's recommended impact window of 1800 to 2200 fps for that bullet.
Bison still died, thank goodness !

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by arkypete
How about enlightening me on how much deader a 458 Win Mag would make any critter on this continent then, say, a 45-70 loaded for use in a Siamese Mauser, or a Ruger.

You forgot to specify a 480-gr semi-hard Lyman PH cast bullet at 1300 fps for the .45-70 that will kill anything in North America quite reliably.
And you are emphasizing the ridiculousness of the .458 Winchester Magnum deniers. Bless you.
Buy a donkey for that support of the Crusade for Truth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some brass bullet ideas, .458 Caliber, cannot find anything like a .458-430-gr brass TSX, so far:

295-gr CEB, put a tip on it ?:

[Linked Image]

370-gr CEB with funny spacing on the bands:

[Linked Image]

305-gr Lehigh:

[Linked Image]

528-gr Lehigh:

[Linked Image]

If only the two Lehigh bullets could have a baby ... it might look like a 430-gr brass TSX about 1.5" long.

Last edited by Riflecrank; 07/12/21.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sir Ron;

I'll be sticking with the known load for the 405gr Rem during bear season, or as much of it as possible as I expect to be in New Brunswick sometime in October.

Also, I'll be trying the same load for the 400gr Hawk and 400gr Barnes Buster to see how that goes. Another trial, without re-sighting anything, will be 75 grs RL-17 for the 405 Rem. I'm expecting about 1800 fps but want to find out how accurate that load might be.

I also think the Buster might be a good choice for particular applications if accuracy fulfils desires. In a media test around 2250 it went straight through everything and was lost. That from my former 45-70 LT. The 500gr Speer GS was defeated at 6" penetration, retaining 310grs ! MV was 1750 fps. Range for all bullets was 5 yards to media. Both 350gr TSX's penetrated completely - one was "lost" (until found about a year later - the point was damaged and it had tumbled by hitting the edge of a wooden plank) the other was retrieved just inside the last panel of the second box, fully "mushroomed" and retained 350 grs. MV was 2470 fps.

Eight bullets were fired and the only two that was the same were the 350 TSX's. Most were reduced loads to simulate hitting large game in the shoulders at around 100 yards.

The theoretical advantage of the Buster is that big wide flat meplat (BWFM), when/if it impacts the shoulders of a bull elk, moose, bear or hog at 1400 to 2200 fps it should be devastation - IF the accuracy is what's wanted/needed...
... similar to a North Fork FN solid, I'd think. I've a pic of a 300gr NF FN solid from a 300 H&H retrieved from an ele by a friend.

Your thoughts?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I tend to think that a 400 grain mono such as the TSX and a mono flat point solid would be ideal in the 458 Win Mag+ for an all round load for any game on the planet

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That is a straw man argument. Ron nor any of the rest of the steady thinkers made any such comparisons so; we leave it standing there alone in the ditch. Light it on fire if you must but it is folly.
We all enjoyed Sharpsguy and welcomed his knowledge and gifted shooting. I do believe he appreciated the mission as well.
My own contribution to the mission was to start the conversation about the 458 WM and cast bullets. Ron and others expanded that to a chapter or two with their research and results. I use smokeless and a 485 FN cast bullet at 1700 FPS or so to keep the venison coming and the elephants in hiding here on the Great Plains. Oh and killing myths one at a time.
Best regards sir,

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by gunner500
10-rahjah on the lower pressures with the AA-2460 Sir Ron, Thanks for the math, those Northforks look like some fine bullets, hope that new company can fly em high and sell the hell out of train loads of them, that said, i gotta say, were i to completely blow the petals off a 450gr TSX, that would have to remain a 380 grain flat nosed solid [After] wrecking the hell out of things on the way to losing it's petals, damn hard to beat imho. smile

Sir Jerry,
I don't think you will blow the petals off the .458-450gr TSX as long as you keep it under 2500 fps in the .458 WM+.
Now, if we could have a copy of that monometal copper CNC-turned in brass, the petals would blow off every time on the plains game of any size, big or small, near or far.
The 450-gr TSX translated to brass would have a weight of about 430 grains and blow down to about 360-gr of jagged FN brass solid, by comparison.
Might exit more often than the copper bullet, blood trail from both sides of the animal.
BC would be a little less too though, proportional to the lower SD,
but MV might be a little higher, with the slicker brass bullet of lighter weight.
Hey, maybe give it a little boat tail and pointier nose ?
What the heck, make it a 400-grain varmint bullet made of brass and shoot it at +2600 fps !

A visual comparison on the North Fork SS bullets, .423-380gr and .458-450gr:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If both impacted a buffalo at 2400 fps, which would kill better ?
Why, the .458 WM+ of course.

LOL, all good to know Sir Ron, just going off a riverbed in Tanzania last October, slammed an old Dagga boy at 16 yards in the left side last rib at 2076 fps with a 750gr TSX from my 577 double, man it hurt him bad, he fell, and immediately began his death bellow, that said, bullet was in right shoulder under the hide, two petals gone, the .458 cal. 450gr TSX may be a little thicker, the right buff shows this fall, we shall see my Friend. cool

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Bob,
For all game large and small, and for all other sport, I am partial to .458 WM/+ bullets of whatever construction, weight and velocity gets the job done.
My thoughts are that you have got it figured well with your loads for the .458 WM/+, and I expect you shall not fail.

BTW, that picture of a .375-300gr North Fork solid recovered from an elephant would be interesting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

I tend to think that a 400 grain mono such as the TSX and a mono flat point solid would be ideal in the 458 Win Mag+ for an all round load for any game on the planet

jwp475,
That is mighty enlightened of you.
We have a couple more seats at the round table if you want to be a Knight of the Crusade for Truth of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fury01
That is a straw man argument. Ron nor any of the rest of the steady thinkers made any such comparisons so; we leave it standing there alone in the ditch. Light it on fire if you must but it is folly.
We all enjoyed Sharpsguy and welcomed his knowledge and gifted shooting. I do believe he appreciated the mission as well.
My own contribution to the mission was to start the conversation about the 458 WM and cast bullets. Ron and others expanded that to a chapter or two with their research and results. I use smokeless and a 485 FN cast bullet at 1700 FPS or so to keep the venison coming and the elephants in hiding here on the Great Plains. Oh and killing myths one at a time.
Best regards sir,

Sir Dennis,
I presume you refer to arkypete's straw man comparison of the .45-70 Govt. versus the .458 WM.
Great imagery of leaving it standing alone in the ditch
versus lighting it on fire,
all as folly.
The Crusade for Truth is never ending.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

jwp475,
That is mighty enlightened of you.
We have a couple more seats at the round table if you want to be a Knight of the Crusade for Truth of the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Crusade for truth is very noble and I would be honored

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
... just going off a riverbed in Tanzania last October, slammed an old Dagga boy at 16 yards in the left side last rib at 2076 fps with a 750gr TSX from my 577 double, man it hurt him bad, he fell, and immediately began his death bellow, that said, bullet was in right shoulder under the hide, two petals gone, the .458 cal. 450gr TSX may be a little thicker, the right buff shows this fall, we shall see my Friend. cool

Good to know that,
.585-caliber/ 750-gr TSX petals can be shed on a cape buffalo rib at about 2050 fps impact.
I never would have thunk that, but a cape buffalo rib is a lot stronger than a bison rib.

I expect brass hollow-point bullets to shed their petals even if thrown by hand at a buffalo.
I used to expect a lot more stick-to-it-ive-ness from a copper hollow-point bullet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sir,
thou must pick thy "SIR NAME" for thy title,
already taken:
Bob, Ron, Jerry, Mike, Spruce, Dennis, Bill Bagwell, Russ, Hannay, Charles

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sir,
thou must pick thy "SIR NAME" for thy title,
already taken:
Bob, Ron, Jerry, Mike, Spruce, Dennis, Bill Bagwell, Russ, Hannay, Charles

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir John,

Consider yourself tapped on the shoulders with the flat of a Bill Bagwell Bowie.
We'll all get ours when Sir Jerry officiates at the meeting of the Round Table,
hopefully to occur before we all get together in the Happy Hunting Ground.

I sure do have a liking for .458-400gr bullets.
The 400-gr TSX was supposedly only ever made as a special run for Buffalo Bore, lately.
I have yet to test fire Bubba's 400-gr XTSX.
Maybe I should get some Buffalo Bore ammo for a shoot-off.
Those are supposedly only loaded to 2250 fps MV in the SAAMI .458 WM.
Heck, we can do that with hardcast, PC-painted, gas-checked 407 grainers, and do it accurately, in the SAAMI .458 WM,
sized to .460" to .461" for the .458" to .459"-grooved common barrel.

I suggest trying Bubba's 400-gr XTSX atop both 83.0 grains of AA-2460 and 83.0 grains of AA-2230,
and compare that to however much H4895 can be loaded with a drop tube and compressed without bulging a case.
All with a COL of 3.600", in the .458 WM+.
The 400-gr Woodleigh PPSN can go faster than 2600 fps with a COL of 3.425", which is too fast for its 2500 fps limit.
No limits on the 400-gr XTSX.

Bubba Bore ammo versus Buffalo Bore ammo for the shoot-off.
Plus some cast bullets to rub salt in it too.

We also have yet to try the 485-grain hardcast FN favored by Sir Dennis at 1700 fps.
I'll do that too, including +/- 500 fps for a 1000 fps spread with that bullet, centering on 1700 fps.

So many choices for deer and varmints!
I am tempted to use that 250-gr Hornady Monoflex at 2725 fps with 65 grains of AA-5744,
since it shoots groups half the size of the ones at 3075 fps with 82 grains of H4198,
both loaded to 3.340" COL.
The SAAMI-chambered .458 Winchester Magnum with a 24" barrel is a very versatile rifle.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir Sir Ron, dont know where along the way the petals sheared, never found them, quick gut and load job on that buffalo at dusk, earlier i asked my PH why that herd of buffalo kept crossing the river back and forth, he said there's lions between us and them, they're trying to draw the lions out in the open, i asked would we see the lions, he said yes, if they dont want to eat us! shocked grin little Wife went kinda pale in the face LOL!

Nice work on the other monos, those would absolutely have to get it done, Thanks.

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sir Jerry,
You raked that buffalo. Possibly a terminal impact of the expanded petals on a humerus in the offside shoulder knocked off half the petals ?
Anytime I try to make a rule of thumb regarding bullet behavior, I hammer it home by smashing my thumb with the hammer.

As you were.

Buffalo Bore Ammo

400-gr TSX and Hornady brass for .458 WM are not unobtainable, and no more expensive than any factory ammo nowadays.
Might ship same day as ordered if they are not swamped by orders. Pace yourself guys, try not to hoard.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tim Sundles is smart like a fox. He knows he could easily load that 400-gr TSX well over 2250 fps in the SAAMI .458 WM.
But he knows that if his tight and slick little 18-incher is safe with 2250 fps, well that is fast enough, for selling to the public,
the vast majority of whom will get 2250 fps or better in their 24" factory rifles.
And that is just the sort of load that Finn Aagaard and Phil Shoemaker crowed about being better than any 500-grain soft nose in the .458 WM.
That is a WIN-WIN Winchester load, regarding both lawyers and gun gurus.

[Linked Image]

I wonder what rifle was used by Tim Sundles on that bear.
I suspect anything from .338-06 to .458 WM would be ideal for that kind of big, soft target.

Hopefully I will soon have some of those .458-400gr TSX in hand to see if they have the same nose as the 450-gr and 500-gr TSX.
Hard to tell by the photographs which might show different meplat sizes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s pretty danged cool. His Classic is a twin to mine.

Need to try some of them bigger Bullets out it. I ain’t shot anything heavier than a 350 Hornady from it and I haven’t even broke the trigger on my 45-90 #1 Ruger yet!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buffalo Bore did show some trajectory charts for the 400-gr TSX and 450-gr TSX at various MV.
The top for the 400-grainer was 2600 fps, and for the 450-grainer was 2500 fps.
Good limits for the sane .458 WM shooter.

Out to 300 yards, the 400-grainer is about 1 inch higher than the 450-grainer,
but has 3.6" of wind drift for the 400-grainer versus 3.3" for the 450-grainer.
The 400-grainer is supersonic to 725 yards, while the 450-grainer is supersonic to 784 yards.
400-grainer muzzle KE = 6003.1 ft-lbs.
450-grainer muzzle KE = 6244.0 ft-lbs.
Less recoil and adequate game-getting for the 400-grainer,
but the 450-grainer is going to be the champion gong-ringer at 1125 yards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those will land with a kerplunk. Gosh darn, I wouldn’t wanna try to catch them with a mitt.

Semper Fi
Page 41 of 201 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 200 201

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.