-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Caldwell Full Length rest. Very flexible and effective.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

HR IC

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Very appreciative of all the responses. For clarification of my desired use it will be for simply recreational shooting of center fire rifles from 223 Remington up to 300 win Mag. That includes 243 Win, 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-06, and 7mmWSM.
I have given up hunting but enjoy reloading and just want to tinker at the reloading bench and range. To be honest I haven’t shot my CF rifles in so long I don’t know what to expect on my recoil tolerance so I guess that lead me to a lead sled. Right now all I have would be a rolled up sweatshirt. 😊

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
when i use the sled i use no weight but i prefer shooting bags the front rest on sled is too sloppy

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Well I decided on the Lead Sled. I put it together and bore sighted a couple rifles that are wearing new scopes but not taken to the range yet. Worked great for bore sighting and when the weather cools some I’ll try it at the range. Thanks for all the input gentleman.

Attached Images
Last edited by Stevens223; 07/06/21.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a sled. I have used it with 2 bags of shot, 1 bag of shot and no weight. Never cracked a stock or broken a scope. It may be hard on equipment. I understand the argument.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aalf
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I agree. Anything like this set up is going to be far better than a lead sled. That, or shoot off a pack like you probably would in the field if a long shot presented itself... JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the Lead Sled and sim, create more problems and solve none

don't do it

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Guy on the bench next to me was shooting a 300 Weatherby off a lead sled and had the wrist snap on his '70's era Weatherby Mark V. He knew of no issue with the stock prior to this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one, I don't use it. It was a gift to me. I have used it a few times when it was new, I hear stories about hurting rifles and such so I stopped using it. If you have one and like it, have at it.
Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have used a lead sled. I didn't have any issues. Worked great for me. My go to set up is a caldwell rock front rest and a caldwell rear bags.
I recently bought a caldwell deadshot front bag. I bought the front bag as I thought maybe that would be easier to lug around than the rock solid rest. Haven't used the front bag yet but suspect it with work pretty good.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

E
E
How many of you would put the butt of your rifle against a tree and shoot it? Same thing apples to a lead sled. If the stock is forced to absorb all of the energy of recoil bad things happen

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by lotech
Get a good pedestal rest like a Hart or a Sinclair and leather Protektor front bag and a leather Protektor rear bunny bag. I've used this combination for many years with complete satisfaction. The Hart pedestal is heavy and won't move on the bench. I've looked at a Lead Sled and it looks like a poor substitute for a good rest setup.

This.

To me, the lead sled is a solution in search of a problem. Has intuitive appeal to shooters who do not fully understand the dynamic forces in play when a rifle is fired.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by lotech
Get a good pedestal rest like a Hart or a Sinclair and leather Protektor front bag and a leather Protektor rear bunny bag. I've used this combination for many years with complete satisfaction. The Hart pedestal is heavy and won't move on the bench. I've looked at a Lead Sled and it looks like a poor substitute for a good rest setup.

This.

To me, the lead sled is a solution in search of a problem. Has intuitive appeal to shooters who do not fully understand the dynamic forces in play when a rifle is fired.

Opinions vary!

From last Wednesday IIRC

Setting Zero @ 100 yds with SuperHogster Thermal on 6.5 Grendel

Checking out the regulation on a Merkel 141 in 30-06 Springfield.

Getting ready to check out my first Low Wall, I had 15 minutes before end of shooting light.

yup!

think it's gonna work.

I'd say conservatively I have shot in excess of 50 different rifles from 17 Cal to 45 Cal over the lead sled while developing loads, and have yet to have damage to a rifle.

Perhaps its because i place a piece of foam insulation between the butt of the rifle and the back of the sled. Quien Sabe

as always, YMMV

ya!

GWB

PS: I recently acquired two rifles in 475 Turnbull. Will be doing load development soon. Will check back with results.

Last edited by geedubya; 07/17/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
geedubya - Thanks for the extensively illustrate responses. Are you saying that reports of people breaking stocks due to a Lead Sled are inaccurate?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen more than one stock cracked at the wrist via Lead Sled at my range.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by shinbone
geedubya - Thanks for the extensively illustrate responses. Are you saying that reports of people breaking stocks due to a Lead Sled are inaccurate?

Aboslutley not!

That is not my style.

If you notice, I both prefaced and ended my last post with the caveat's "opinions vary" and "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV).

I've always been an iconoclast. (Sacred cows make the best hamburger), but try not to be an azz'hat in the process.

What I have consistently tried to do during the course of this thread is provide empirical evidence of extensive use of a lead sled, which when employed, has not harmed any of the multitude of rifles for which I have developed loads.

I won't bore you with pix but I have done load development and or shot the following off of a sled.

458 Lott, 458 Winchester, 450 Marlin, 45-70 (4), 375 H&H (4) 376 Steyr, 9.3 x 74R, 9.3 x 62(3), 350 Rem Mag, 35 Whelen(2), 358 Winchester(2), 338 Lapua, 338-378 KT, 338 Ultra Mag, 338 Win Mag, 338-06AI, 338-06(2), 338 Federal(2), 325 WSM(3), ,303 Savage, 300 Ultra Mag(2), 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 Win Mag(3), 300 WSM(3) 300 H&H(2), 30-06(6) , 308 Win, 7 STW, 280AI...........

One more example.

Here is a push-feed Winchester Model 70, chambered for the 270 Winchester. I bought in the early 90's.

It has a custom Shilen Barrel, and a sweet trigger. I got it after some wrangling for $350 IIRC.

The reason I got it that cheap was that it had a hair-line crack in the wrist.

BTW, It shoots better than I can........

After load development on lead sled, first shot out of a cold barrel followed by a second shot, before taking it to hunt.

BTW, it remains intact (the picture of the crack in the wrist of the stock was taken about 10 minutes ago).

Anywho, perhaps you get my drift.

BTW,

I mentioned a 475 Turnbull earlier.......

I've loaded up +/- 35 rounds, 20 being jacketed bullets and 15 being cast lead, in six different combos that I'm going to shoot over a chrono to attempt to develop a load that combines the best accuracy/velocity quotient.

I'm willing to bet that if I shoot all 35 of those rounds, I'll be glad I did it using a lead sled.

Will get back with an "un-flinching" report when accomplished.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/17/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good info GW, Thanks!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
The sled is nice when you have a half dozen or more to sight in, can’t imagine not having one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by geedubya

I'd say conservatively I have shot in excess of 50 different rifles from 17 Cal to 45 Cal over the lead sled while developing loads, and have yet to have damage to a rifle.

Perhaps its because i place a piece of foam insulation between the butt of the rifle and the back of the sled. Quien Sabe

as always, YMMV

ya!

GWB

PS: I recently acquired two rifles in 475 Turnbull. Will be doing load development soon. Will check back with results.

I think you are onto something there GWB.
After I read this post, I remembered that when I first got my sled around 2006, I padded both sides because of a sloppy fit of the stocks, but I also padded the bottom and back with the thought of reducing felt recoil.
I'd say it probably served a two fold purpose for me without realizing it, as I have never had a problem damaging a stock while shooting with it.
Garry
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by geedubya

as always, YMMV

ya!

GWB

I think you are onto something there GWB.
After I read this post, I remembered that when I first got my sled around 2006, I padded both sides because of a sloppy fit of the stocks, but I also padded the bottom and back with the thought of reducing felt recoil.
I'd say it probably served a two fold purpose for me without realizing it, as I have never had a problem damaging a stock while shooting with it.
Garry
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I’m gonna do that to mine

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.