Hop To
Page 32 of 57 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 56 57
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Whats the definition of a hunter? grin So freaking stupid.

In reading this thread, it is indeed a stupidasss question. I had loads of hunters in camps when we were guiding that hunted and killed stuff all over the world. Not sure how good of a "shooter" they were, but 99% of them could kill the crap out of what they were shooting at. If someone is stupid enough ( JoeBob) to ask such a stupid question or make such stupid point (Paul Barnard, but what else is new), they'll never get an answer they'll accept, so screw it.

Doesn’t matter how well they shot. They’re not shooters unless they put sufficient number of rounds down range to satisfy these guys. I should also add, they’re not shooters unless they use the correct equipment either according to the guys.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/18/21.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by BobBrown
It’s well documented that Leupolds do not track for schidt

But try one out for yourself

If I ever get into dialing, I may discover that you are correct.

How about sighting in? Tracking helps there too.

I’ve never had much trouble doing that with Leupold.

I have a few 308 Winchester chambered Model 700 rifles with varmint and heavier contour barrels. They are quite easy to shoot off the bench. For these same rifles I have several very reliable reference loads. When I was shooting a lot more I'd test scopes for friends, and trust me it's straightforward to see which scopes are adjusting right and which aren't. I've had Leupold results from zero trouble whatsoever to having 1/2 moa of stiction to total dead spots in part of the adjustment range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whats the definition of a hunter? grin So freaking stupid.

In reading this thread, it is indeed a stupidasss question. I had loads of hunters in camps when we were guiding that hunted and killed stuff all over the world. Not sure how good of a "shooter" they were, but 99% of them could kill the crap out of what they were shooting at. If someone is stupid enough ( JoeBob) to ask such a stupid question or make such stupid point (Paul Barnard, but what else is new), they'll never get an answer they'll accept, so screw it.

It seems within reason to ask someone who says, "my definition of a shooter" to define a shooter. You are certainly welcome to get snatchhurt over my question.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The usual dumbassery from a proven dumbasss. A "shooter" is technically any person who pulls the trigger and "shoots" a firearm. See what a stupidass question it is?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The usual dumbassery from a proven dumbasss. A "shooter" is technically any person who pulls the trigger and "shoots" a firearm. See what a stupidass question it is?

The usual crying from a goddam crybaby.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Paul, the tough guy image is not very becoming on you. Makes me laugh actually.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, the tough guy image is not very becoming on you. Makes me laugh actually.

I am always happy to provide a laugh, even if it's at me rather than with me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A shooter is NOT 99% of joebob hunters who shoot less than 100 rounds per year.

As I stated in an earlier post I probably put about 4 boxes of ammo through each of my centerfire rifles a year. And I currently own 15 centerfire rifles. So thats about 1200 rounds a year not counting the plinking with rimfires like 22 and 22 mag. And yet apparently I am still completely unqualified to speak on whether a scope is acceptable for my needs. That being the case I think Paul is perfectly legit in asking the "Real" shooters to give us a well defined threshold of when you become a "REAL SHOOTER". Seems odd that none can seem to specifically define it while simultaneously being absolutely sure of who "ISN'T" one. LOL!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
All I worry about is if I'm good enough to accomplish what I want with equipment I can trust. I love the Leupold 6x42 as a hunting scope but I have two of them in need of a trip to the repair facility. They served me well for a lot of shooting on top of the modest amount of hunting I do, but scopes aren't supposed to rattle. I need to get off my duff and get them dealt with so I can put them through a test program before I mount them back on hunting rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Willto is saying that Leupold is a perfectly acceptable to very good HUNTING scope. He isn’t concerned that there are scopes better suited to high round counts and competitions. It’s impossible to build something that is perfect for every use.

Understood, but I'm not talking about competitions as the destination. More of a means to an end. A high round count is very useful to hunters, target shooters, and competitors, alike. When did we stop suggesting that hunters should practice their marksmanship as much as possible in the off-season in order to increase and confirm proficiency in the hunting fields?

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think Willto is saying that Leupold is a perfectly acceptable to very good HUNTING scope. He isn’t concerned that there are scopes better suited to high round counts and competitions. It’s impossible to build something that is perfect for every use.

Understood, but I'm not talking about competitions as the destination. More of a means to an end. A high round count is very useful to hunters, target shooters, and competitors, alike. When did we stop suggesting that hunters should practice their marksmanship as much as possible in the off-season in order to increase and confirm proficiency in the hunting fields?

Well, that begs the question. What is a high round count? One could shoot five hundred rounds a year for ten years to get to 5,000 rounds that a competitive shooter shoots in a few months. Will it hold zero with that many rounds?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
With both groups, 90% of their hunting shots will be taken before sunrise or after sunset. It can be very dark deep in the woods 25 minutes after sunset. What matters then is light transmission. We need to be able to see the deer and see the crosshairs on the deer. That's where Leupold shines.They flat out get the job done.

Well said. And that's what it seems immposible to get some on here to understand. We have a long rifle season here in Alabama. The deer get hunted pretty hard. Big bucks in particular tend to become pretty nocturnal. You will often only catch them on the move right at the cusp of daylight and dark. If I look through my scope and it's too dark to see him, or I can't see the crosshairs then how accurate the click adjustments were when I sighted this scope and rifle in two months ago kind of fades to utter Insignificance.

People have different needs in a scope. It is not a one size fits all deal. And the people who want a scope designed specifically for long range target shooting need to lay off the condescending horse chit. If that's what you need a scope to be then great. More power to you. It's not what I need in a scope and that doesn't make me wrong or less intelligent than you.

A Corvette will run faster than a Ford F-150 truck and be a much better track car if that's what you desire in an automobile. So you could proclaim it superior on that specific basis if you like. But if you are going to be driving on logging roads or hauling cargo the truck would serve you far better. And buying the truck because it better suits what you intend to do with a vehicle doesn't make you an idiot or less knowledgeable. In fact, matching your equipment to the task you plan to actually use it for makes pretty good sense.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It's more for some, less for others, but a point that is apparently lost on some of the clowns on this particular thread. My personal "round count" of dead animals is in the hundreds (culling big game), and many times more than that including hogs and other vermin. That's where the rubber meets the road in my world. Unless I'm doing load workup, sitting at a bench punching paper is very boring. Longer range targets and dialing is another matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We bought our place in Alabama just at 5 years ago, and I've hunted three full seasons, killing my 9 bucks, as well as 18 does and 60+ hogs. Which is a fraction of my annual hunting. Hell, I've been stuck in Europe and Asia the last year because of the Covid just to hunt. Maybe I'm shorting myself in what I shoot in Alabama though, so do me a favor as a recent Alabama (part year) resident...post up some pics of those big bucks...And I'm being serious, because around where I bought there are 2 schools of thought, with no middle ground...You either need a 56mm Swaro or Zeiss, or you "only" need a frickin' Bushnell...and I'm a middle ground kind of guy!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jordan, how much practice do I need to hit a deer in the chest at less than 200 yards using a rest? I envy the kind of hunting you get to do. If I got to do the kind of hunting that you do, I'd practice much more than I do. Have you ever stand hunted the deep woods of the US south? It doesn't take a lot of skill to connect with the shots we most often take. It does take a good low light scope. Eye relief is often important in that deer may be directly behind the climbing stand we are sitting in and we may not be able to get the ideal position we'd like.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Jordan, how much practice do I need to hit a deer in the chest at less than 200 yards using a rest? I envy the kind of hunting you get to do. If I got to do the kind of hunting that you do, I'd practice much more than I do. Have you ever stand hunted the deep woods of the US south? It doesn't take a lot of skill to connect with the shots we most often take. It does take a good low light scope. Eye relief is often important in that deer may be directly behind the climbing stand we are sitting in and we may not be able to get the ideal position we'd like.

That should be right up your alley then.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

......and make him a scope expert and "shooter".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Well, that begs the question. What is a high round count? One could shoot five hundred rounds a year for ten years to get to 5,000 rounds that a competitive shooter shoots in a few months. Will it hold zero with that many rounds?
I went to the State Championship in 4 position small bore competition 3 times on 250 rds. a week practice. I placed in the top 3 each time and took high individual my third year. In my first year I set a new record for the highest score ever shot by a first year competitor. If you shoot that much or more and still aren't a top level competitor in your chosen discipline then I'd say shooting just isn't your bag. Maybe take up golf or tiddly winks and quit wasting your time and money on rifles and ammunition .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Willto
With both groups, 90% of their hunting shots will be taken before sunrise or after sunset. It can be very dark deep in the woods 25 minutes after sunset. What matters then is light transmission. We need to be able to see the deer and see the crosshairs on the deer. That's where Leupold shines.They flat out get the job done.

People have different needs in a scope. It is not a one size fits all deal.

You'd think people would understand that. Leupold has acquitted itself flawlessly for me in that hunting capacity. Yet people feel the need to tell me my Leupold doesn't cut it. It's a pressing need too. I use a variety of scopes, so I am far from a fanboi. I guess I find a perverse fascination in the Leupold hate cult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yessir. I'd far prefer to have the opportunity to employ more shooting skill in my hunting, but as it stands, I'll play the hand that's dealt me. I don't even have easy access to a range where I can shoot at more than 200 yards.

Page 32 of 57 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (bpimwheel, boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, 7 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.