Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=bsa1917hunter][quote=Pharmseller][quote=Marshhawk]Like many before have posted Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite in either 7mm08 or 308.

----------------------

Add stainless and I’m your huckleberry.

----------------------
Me too..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'll see your Tikka and Raise You One more!

whistle grin

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/15/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
Guys, these facts are interesting to me.

The ONLY rifle I've owned that would not group 4 or 5 into 1" (outside - outside) was a B B R
Browning Bolt Rifle in the 80s. It would throw 1 out of 4 outside every time.
It was NOT always the same # shot, it might be 1, or 3 or 2.

Sent it to Browning, Morgan Utah, They worked on the bolt AND the inletting >> SAME SAME.

It -Shows to Go- ya there are lemons in everything man made.

Jerry

Had an A-Bolt doing the same and took it to the Browning headquarters 10 minutes away. Seems the front action screw was a wisher too long and actually engaged the threads on the barrel shank. They were going to rebarrel it because they could see thread damage but it made removal of the original barrel a beech. They ended up giving me a brand new A Bolt. I read elsewhere after this on some forum where this issued had happen to a number of A Bolts and was identified and fixed but not after a bunch left the factory.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

The ONLY rifle I've owned that would not group 4 or 5 into 1" (outside - outside) was a B B R

Sent it to Browning, Morgan Utah, They worked on the bolt AND the inletting >> SAME SAME.

Jerry

Had an A-Bolt doing the same and took it to the Browning headquarters 10 minutes away. Seems the front action screw was a wisher too long and actually engaged the threads on the barrel shank. They were going to rebarrel it because they could see thread damage but it made removal of the original barrel a beech. They ended up giving me a brand new A Bolt. I read elsewhere after this on some forum where this issued had happen to a number of A Bolts and was identified and fixed but not after a bunch left the factory.

Original A-bolt correct? Not an A-bolt II.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jim

I haven’t heard that but I always wondered.
Too late for me but nice to know.

Thanks

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For standard rifles, about the only thing I would consider would be a Kimber of some sort or a Fieldcraft.

Stainless/Synthetic. Standard round like a .308 or .30-06. Nothing fancy.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

Jerry

Original A-bolt correct? Not an A-bolt II.

Correct. It was a A Bolt micro to be more specific that I bought used at a great price.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kandpand
If you had to start over and had to go buy a factory rifle for your primary big game rifle, what rifle would you buy and why? Wood vs Synthetic, blued vs coated vs stainless, etc...

If you're paying for it, a Proof Glacier Ti in 6.5PRC. Synthetic, nitrided, and CF barrel.

If I'm on the hook for it, probably a Christensen Ridgeline, again in 6.5PRC. I would for sure ditch the Ridgeline stock and go with a McM Game Hunter or Mesa Precision Attitude.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Rev Mike,

I really like the look and feel of the M70 Featherweight, but not enough to keep it if it’s not a shooter. I’ve had mixed results with Winchester rifles over the years and the only one that was a charm was a push feed Featherweight .257 Roberts that I sold to finance an elk hunt. Let me know if you find a cure!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Just bought a Ruger Predator in 6 CM , it's very impressive in accuracy. After trimming trigger spring and adjusting the trigger it's a sweet 2 lbs. I love Tikkas but they're getting pricey and this Ruger Predator is sweet for the price.
https://imgur.com/a/SRip1uX

Last edited by Remington280; 07/17/21.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
[quote=bsa1917hunter][quote=Pharmseller][quote=Marshhawk]Like many before have posted Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite in either 7mm08 or 308.

----------------------

----------------------
Me too..

whistle grin

Jerry

That's all. You gamble, you lose:

^^^^ +300WSM and 6.5 CM Superlite:
For a superlite, it shoots pretty good^^^ Sub moa day in day out. Post what you got...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

----------------------

----------------------
Me too..

whistle grin

Jerry

Look closely, those are 2 different Tikka's. My 308 and 7mm08. Both great rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never heard anything bad about Tikka’s my only complaints are that the stocks are ugly as sin to my eye. That and the 22-250 has 1/14 twist and the .223 weighs more than a 7-08 due to not being built on a scaled down receiver.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’ve never heard anything bad about Tikka’s my only complaints are that the stocks are ugly as sin to my eye. That and the 22-250 has 1/14 twist and the .223 weighs more than a 7-08 due to not being built on a scaled down receiver.

There is also an eight twist 22-250
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Lite-22-250-Rem-224-1-8-Rifle-JRTXE314R8.aspx

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BSA

I wondered IF those were 2 OR if one was wet ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya
A few that have followed me home over the years, all straight factory, wrapped in wood,
any, without question, I would buy again, today!

Blaser

Browning

Cooper

Dakota

Merkel

Sako

Sauer

Steyr

ya!

GWB

Damn GW, I would pay to take a tour of your gun room some day! (And your knife collection, beer fridge, liquor cabinet, humidor etc. grin) Always the coolest stuff on the 'fire.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Depending on your personal budget, the choices are endless. Personally I really like the Tikka T3 Stainless/synthetic, if I could only have one caliber, it would be 25-06.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Started buying Cooper Rifles in the mid to late 90's

Back then about the only way you could get a sub-caliber "factory"rifle was a Cooper.

Lets see,
I've owned at least a couple dozen.....

17 Ackley Hornet, 17 HeBee, 17 MachIV, 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, 19 Calhoon, 20 Vartarg, Tac20, 22 Hornet(2), 222 Rem, 223, 223AI, 22-250, 6 x 47, 6 BR Rem., 243, 6mm-284, 250-3000 AI, 257 Bob AI, 25-06, 6.5-284, 7mm-08(2), 308 Win, 338-06

a representative sample,

The "Classic Stock style is my preference

Model 52 Jackson Game rifle (25-06) was one of my fav's

Model22 Varmint Extreme, 308 Win.

Couple of 7mm-08's (IIRC)

I shoot right handed, but got this Lefty Varmint Extreme in 223 Rem at a great price.

I really liked shooting it from the bench as one could hook his right hand, little finger over the elevation knob and use his thumb to lift the bolt, then load a round with his left hand.

It was a shooter (Primer Test)

Over the years most have followed someone else home,

But still have a few

22 Hornet, 19 Calhoon, 17 Ackley Hornet

20 VarTarg

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HNg8FhG.png[/img]

6mm x 47 (6mm-222 Rem Mag)

I guess I got lucky, as all of mine were shooters, had excellent fit and finish and bolts were slicker than owl-scheit!

as always, YMMV

ya!

GWB

Geedubya, what did your taxidermist have to say when you got that porcupine mounted. I can’t imagine that was his favorite job.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If I had to start over I would go on gunbroker or similar site and buy an old late 70’s early 80’s vintage Remington 700 in 30-06 or 270. Adjust the trigger, bed the action, bolt on a 3X9 Leupold, feed it cheap green box ammunition and kill stuff.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by brinky72

Geedubya, what did your taxidermist have to say when you got that porcupine mounted. I can’t imagine that was his favorite job.

Here is the story!

I've been using the same taxidermist since the early 80's. He had probably done in excess of 40 mounts, most of which were done between 2000 and 2008. In fact I used to go by his shop once a week and bring him a six pack of Miller Beer and drop a $50.

I'm pretty much out of that routine these days.

Anywho, I had been at his shop, enjoying a brewski and a stogie when I spied a porcupine he had just finished. When I hunted in Rocksprings, Tx. there were porcupines all over, but at this particular time, and the lease I was on, I had only seen one porcupine in the last half dozen years. I mentioned that the next porcupine I saw, if I could take it, i would have him mount it.......

At this point a Sven & Ole joke comes to mind............ Sven had been out coon hunting. He managed to bag a couple. On the way home he warmed up with a couple of sips of schnapps and when he passed by Ole's Taxidermy shop he got an idea. He had numerous mounts but no coons. So he stops, grabs the two coons and goes in. He tells Ole that he would like him to stuff those two coons. So Ole replies, so ya' vant dem' coons mounted, eh'. Sven thinks a minute then replies, "No, Ole, I've got a Missus and kids at home, just have them holding hands!

So of all things, about two weeks after seeing that Porcupine at my bud's shop I was heading up to my lease. It's six miles in off the nearest paved road and it takes about 45 minutes to traverse the distance. I was past the first bump gate when I saw this Porky' crossing the road. I slowed down as he went into the brush. I was cussin' myself as I did not have a rifle or a shotgun at the ready. Well it wasn't but a few seconds later that the Porky climed up a scrub oak a few yards off the road. He stopped on a limb about 10' off the ground. I had this Taurus Titanium Snubby in 44 Special on my hip so I walked over as close as I could get being as the tree was surrounded by cat claw and cactus and commenced to blasting. Knocked him right out. By time I was able to get him out of the scrum, I was bleeding worse than he. So I pick him up by the hind leg and carry him over and toss him on th back of the trailer my 4 wheeler was on. When I got to the next bump gate and passed through I stopped to make sure everything was in working order. I noticed that the porcupine had slid within a foot of the end of the trailer, so like a dumbazz I grabbed him by the tail.
Yowsir!

Anywho, should you ever grab a porcupine by the tail.......

Some say cut the quills as they are hollow and expand with pressure. Others say no. I had a pair of toenail clippers with which I cut the quills. I got them out, but it was not fun.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/18/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by brinky72

Here is the story!

I've been using the same taxidermist since the early 80's. He had probably done in excess of 40 mounts, most of which were done between 2000 and 2008. In fact I used to go by his shop once a week and bring him a six pack of Miller Beer and drop a $50.

I'm pretty much out of that routine these days.

Anywho, I had been at his shop, enjoying a brewski and a stogie when I spied a porcupine he had just finished. When I hunted in Rocksprings, Tx. there were porcupines all over, but at this particular time, and the lease I was on, I had only seen one porcupine in the last half dozen years. I mentioned that the next porcupine I saw, if I could take it, i would have him mount it.......

At this point a Sven & Ole joke comes to mind............ Sven had been out coon hunting. He managed to bag a couple. On the way home he warmed up with a couple of sips of schnapps and when he passed by Ole's Taxidermy shop he got an idea. He had numerous mounts but no coons. So he stops, grabs the two coons and goes in. He tells Ole that he would like him to stuff those two coons. So Ole replies, so ya' vant dem' coons mounted, eh'. Sven thinks a minute then replies, "No, Ole, I've got a Missus and kids at home, just have them holding hands!

So of all things, about two weeks after seeing that Porcupine at my bud's shop I was heading up to my lease. It's six miles in off the nearest paved road and it takes about 45 minutes to traverse the distance. I was past the first bump gate when I saw this Porky' crossing the road. I slowed down as he went into the brush. I was cussin' myself as I did not have a rifle or a shotgun at the ready. Well it wasn't but a few seconds later that the Porky climed up a scrub oak a few yards off the road. He stopped on a limb about 10' off the ground. I had this Taurus Titanium Snubby in 44 Special on my hip so I walked over as close as I could get being as the tree was surrounded by cat claw and cactus and commenced to blasting. Knocked him right out. By time I was able to get him out of the scrum, I was bleeding worse than he. So I pick him up by the hind leg and carry him over and toss him on th back of the trailer my 4 wheeler was on. When I got to the next bump gate and passed through I stopped to make sure everything was in working order. I noticed that the porcupine had slid within a foot of the end of the trailer, so like a dumbazz I grabbed him by the tail.
Yowsir!

Anywho, should you ever grab a porcupine by the tail.......

Some say cut the quills as they are hollow and expand with pressure. Others say no. I had a pair of toenail clippers with which I cut the quills. I got them out, but it was not fun.

ya!

GWB

LMFAO. They were a target of opportunity where I grew up and a menace to the timber industry ruining many a maple and other quality trees. With the way they stunk and all the quills I never had a desire to do anything but leave them where they fell. The Indians use the quills for crafts but I never had any use for them.

Last edited by brinky72; 07/19/21.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,571
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.