Home
If you had to start over and had to go buy a factory rifle for your primary big game rifle, what rifle would you buy and why? Wood vs Synthetic, blued vs coated vs stainless, etc...
Ruger American.

The gun people love to hate.
This

https://ontargetmagazine.com/2015/03/alexander-arms-6-5-grendel-hunter/

I would get this dip too.
6.6 pounds and every review showed consistently accurate results. That would cover all the bases for me if I were to pick just one.

I picked up a Tikka T3x Stainless/Synthetic in 7-08 for an elk hunt last fall. If I was starting over I’d be between it or one in 6.5 Creedmoor for my needs.
Sako, wood stock, cause I like wood.
Tikka T3x or Sauer 100. Caliber 6.5 CM or 7MM-08. The stock would be synthetic. Both rifles are proven and both shoot very well. Tikka gets the nod as I can get it in LH configuration.
Look for another Kimber Montana. 7-08 like the one I have now.

Christensen.
Winchester M 70 Featherweight in a .270 Win.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Ruger American.

The gun people love to hate.

Hard to beat for the Money. I also really like the Ruger Scouts in synthetic for hunting.

If money was not an issue, though, I’d buy another Kimber Adirondack.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

That’s just GAY! 😜

Seriously though, Probably my favorite all time Rifle is my XTR WW FW in 7x57.

This would be damned hard to beat in my book. As an added extra a straight 6x. Mb

IF you can find one !!

For Plug & Play it’s hard to best
Tikka T3X, 270 W or 7mm RM

I have both. NO ‘regerts’

Jerry
Rigby Highland Stalker in .275 Rigby
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

That’s just GAY! 😜

laugh

That’s just GAY! 😜

laugh

I couldn’t resist! 🤠
Tikka SS super lite in 7mm/08 and 2 cases of ammo. Would be set till I’m dead for hunting. My boss just bought a Christiansen carbon barreled 308. I could slum one of them too if I had too. 😉
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I picked up a Tikka T3x Stainless/Synthetic in 7-08 for an elk hunt last fall. If I was starting over I’d be between it or one in 6.5 Creedmoor for my needs.

I have both of those and that would be my pick. Even one in 308w would work pretty dang good. Have one of those as well and really enjoy it.
Tikka
Savage
Ruger
Browning
Tikka T3x superlite
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

This would be damned hard to beat in my book. As an added extra a straight 6x. Mb

Bob,

I agree.

Bob
Probably a Ruger M77 Ultralight, if Ruger is still making them. Walnut/blue in 7mm-08 would be great. I've got one in 223Rem that fits and handles like it was custom made for me. The 223 has worked fine on small southern whitetails but a 7mm-08 would be a better choice if anything bigger was on the menu.
Either an M70 Featherweight or a Montana in 7-08 or 260 Rem. If I would have chose these first, I would have saved a lot of time, money and safe space for collecting Savage 99s.
Winchester M70 Super Grade in .30-06. Or an M70 Featherweight in.308. The SG is a bit heavy.
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Probably a Ruger M77 Ultralight, if Ruger is still making them. Walnut/blue in 7mm-08 would be great. I've got one in 223Rem that fits and handles like it was custom made for me. The 223 has worked fine on small southern whitetails but a 7mm-08 would be a better choice if anything bigger was on the menu.

And one in 257 bob works pretty damn nice too. Mb
Remington 700 Classic in 250 savage.
I'd try and find a Kimber Montana .308 Win, I have two of these in My safe and for My whitetail hunting needs I can't think a better option.....Hb
Browning xbolt synthetic

They shoot lights out

Mauser m12’s too

Kimber Montana or Barrett Fieldcraft. Really I am done with new factory rifles. Only custom now on bolts. My money is better spent that way.
Sauer 404, probably the "elegance" version. Built as good as the best custom rifles, no more money than a good custom, and easily reconfigured with quick swap barrels, and stocks. The engineering and thought that went into this rifle is amazing. The cocker/decocker is simple, elegant and safe. The interchangeable barrels and QD scope mounts make one rifle into two or three with very little effort.
Based upon prior experience, I would buy a Tikka. I have owned half a dozen and all shot great. No tuning needed other than trigger adjustment. I would like a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, but that's more money than the Tikka. I have no experience with Browning X-Bolt or Kimber. I have owned several Model 70s.

A Tikka T-3 308 would do anything I need doing, and I already have one. I had one in 7mm-08 and foolishly sold it.

That’s just GAY! 😜

laugh

I couldn’t resist! 🤠

I know. grin
M70 Featherweight in what ever I find first, 6.5CM, 7-08, .308,or last choice, .270 Win.

Unless I have insurance money then Rigby High Land Stalker, 275.
Since this isn't " custom", it's technically a factory rifle.....built by the great Mel Forbes and sold by his daughter.

https://newultralightarms.com/?page_id=10

I'd like one at this price in a Pit Viper dip.

Priceless! Lol!

If I could find one, a LH M70 in 270 Win. Otherwise, a new LH CA Ridgeline 6.5 CM.

That.
If I didn't already own one it would be a 270 Win Kimber Montana.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Tikka T3x or Sauer 100. Caliber 6.5 CM or 7MM-08. The stock would be synthetic. Both rifles are proven and both shoot very well. Tikka gets the nod as I can get it in LH configuration.

Me too, doubt if I will ever buy another US made gun
Kimber 84L Classic Select in .270 or .30-06 (have the 06 now).

For “smaller” game, 84M in .257 Robert’s (have now).

Or substitute in a Super Grade or Featherweight with nice wood in same cartridges.
Mine would be a Tikka T3x Superlight. I have run through a bunch of Tikka's and they all shoot well and are made well. I love them.
My TC venture keeps up with my tikka t3x and sauer 100.
Tikka is the lightest and most aftermarket parts. I have 3.
Sauer is underrated.
And the TC is very underrated.
Synthetic stainless. I’m a fan of readily available calibers that are also cheap to shoot. 6.5 CM, 270 and 30/06.
My latest purchase is kimber Hunter on 6.5
Lower 48 Winchester Model 70 Extreme weather in .270

If'n i was in AK or the likes a Winchester Model 70 Extreme weather in 30-06

Got 5 in the belly which is nice. Especially in grizz country. Hell ya gotta carry ammo, most of it might as well be in the rifle itself. smile
[quote=Shag]Lower 48 Winchester Model 70 Extreme weather in .270

If'n i was in AK or the likes a Winchester Model 70 Extreme weather in 30-06

Got 5 in the belly which is nice. Especially in grizz country. Hell ya gotta carry ammo, most of it might as well be in the rifle itself. smile[/quote

Shag a licious you sexy sumbitch buddy😂👍
Hahahahahaha!!! LMAO
Tikka T3X Superlite or Browning X-Bolt Fluted barrel. Both only in stainless/synthetic, all others need not apply! RJ
Stainless with quality synthetic in a lighter weight setup. 6.5 CM/7-08/.308.......or could go .270/280AI/30-06.

Barrett Fieldcraft, Kimber Montana, or Seekins Havak Element would all work well for me, pros/cons on each. It's not a "still in production rifle", but the special run Fieldcraft with #2 contour 22" barrel in 6.5 CM is perfection for me. Something along those lines.

If a company made a .223 in the same pattern it would push me to go with that model in both.
Winchester featherweight, 30-06,
For SS and synthetic I’d find a NOS Kimber Montana
Originally Posted by jwall

IF you can find one !!

For Plug & Play it’s hard to best
Tikka T3X, 270 W or 7mm RM...........EDIT > SS & Composite

I have both. NO ‘regerts’

I'm surprised !!! After all the negative & critical comments (elsewhere) I was NOT expecting to see so many
would choose SS & Composite stocked rifles.

I guess I've been AHEAD of the game. Skeeter Skelton steered me in that direction years ago.
Thanks Skeet

Jerry
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Winchester featherweight, 30-06,

My second choice.
Elk hunter do you suppose you could photo shop a big breasted scantily clad beauty holding a new featherweight with a 6x 42 on it? I'd really enjoy seeing a pic like that. Seems like a fellow of your computer talent could do that with damn little effort. Mb
Sorry, I am not that talented!

Best I can do is me with a Featherweight .270 Win and a Leupold 6x36.
Got a few nice ones, so lately I’ve been buying good ones that don’t cost a lot. Seems like I mostly end up with some sort of Howa. None have cost more than $600, even my Alpine. Wouldn't mind a Kimber Hunter either.

Howa now offers a SS/walnut Hunter model in .308 and 6.5 You-Know-What. I could do with one of those, though I’m not quite sure I believe the listed weight.
Originally Posted by TATELAW

And one in 257 bob works pretty damn nice too. Mb

I didn't mention these earlier because they're no longer manufactured. I have three in .308 Win, 257 Rob and one that started life as a .243 Win, that I just rebarreled to a McGowen .260 Rem. with an 8 twist. They're all older tangers and light, handy little rifles that satisfy my sweet tooth for blue steel and walnut.

Ah baloney close but no banana tits aren't big enough on that deer but probably get you into less trouble. Hey have a good 4th with you and yours. Mb
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

yep. easy choice under 1 k, Howa, Ruger American too, tikka 1st choice for me. upgrade the rings
Bergara or tikka synthetic would be my only choice in a ‘’factory’’ rifle
The last 3 rifles that I have bought were all Weatherby Vanguards:

The first was blued metal with a wood stock .300 Wby that I re-stocked in AA Fancy walnut. I quickly became my favorite rifle, but I hate to take it out in the rain.

My next two were stainless metal in Weatherby's Griptonite plastic stocks. I like the feel of those stocks, but being a tinkerer, I did some modifications to them. I wish I could get one of those stocks that I could put my 7 mm RM 700 Rem in.
Tikka T3 Lite stainless 7mm-08, just like the one I have.

P
Tikka T-3X stainless/synthetic, I truly love walnut and wood but for practicality it is hard to beat synthetic/stainless.

I have owned a half-dozen Tikkas and everyone of them has been "plug and play", mount a scope and it is ready to shoot, no fussing around with extended load-development, bedding, trigger replacement.

And another plus for the Tikka is that the Tikka T1X in 22 L.R. uses the same stock, a modified version of the T3X receiver, the same trigger and it feels and balances the same as the T3X centerfire which means it can used it for off-season practice and have a virtual duplicate of your hunting rifle. A win-win in my book.

After watching this video I am even more of a Tikka fan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GVNo3OVwTE

drover
"Seriously though, Probably my favorite all time Rifle is my XTR WW FW in 7x57."

I'm inclined to agree. I sure like mine. Probably be one of the very last rifles I would part with.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by kandpand
If you had to start over and had to go buy a factory rifle for your primary big game rifle, what rifle would you buy and why? Wood vs Synthetic, blued vs coated vs stainless, etc...

Kimber Mountain Ascent in .270 Winchester. There are better choices for each thing I do but I don't think there is a better single choice to cover all the things I do. Throw a Leupold 4.5-14X B&C in Talleys on top. Done.

Why? I don't imagine anyone who is at all into guns or hunting really needs that answered .. but here are my reasons. For me it's the lightest serious elk cartridge. A friend of long ago, maybe 40 years my senior, guided elk hunters in Idaho. He shot, and saw shot, elk with just about every cartridge imaginable multiple times. His personal choice was a .270. He owned 4. One was a Sako, one a Remington pump .. and I don't remember what the other 2 were. In his very competent hands it worked very well. It's a very good deer cartridge, especially a good BIG deer cartridge. I've used it for large varmints as well. As far as the rifle, Kimbers were hit and miss. My first 3 were misses. Took a lot of soul searching to put money down one more time. The one I've got now is a brilliant shooter. I appreciate the light weight when I'm hiking ... I mostly still hunt with a teeny bit of spot and stalk thrown in, no stand hunting, and very little road hunting, so weight does matter to me. The triggers are generally pretty nice and are quite adjustable .. and if you do happen to get one that is stubborn (I did) and can't tune out any grit, Trigger Tech makes a great replacement (which I have). Optics ... the way I hunt, I have little use for less than about 4x magnification. Shooting paper, testing loads, etc, 14x is noticeably better (for me) than 8x-9x. I've had real good luck with the Leupold B&C scopes .. I prefer set-it-and-forget-it to twisting knobs. Ammo ... I haven't used 'em in .270 Win but I really liked the 160 grain semi-spitzer partition in the .270 WSM. Crazy sectional density. Meh BC, but good enough for the distances I generally hunt. Accuracy was far ahead of any other bullet I tried. So there's your why and some details.

Tom
My choice would be a Ruger M77 RS in 30/06 with a tang safety. I had one in the 70s and sold it like an idiot. It will do whatever I need a centerfire rifle to do. I found another just like the one I had not long ago. It's a keeper.

Ah baloney close but no banana tits aren't big enough on that deer but probably get you into less trouble. Hey have a good 4th with you and yours. Mb

laugh

Thanks MB, and a Happy 4th to you and yours also! smile
I'd find another pre safety Marlin 336 .30-30 in nice condition and call it good. Add a good shooting .22 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun to that and I'd be set.
If you're on a budget, the Howa 1500s are exceptional values. They have flat bottom receivers with integral recoil lug, a la Win Model 70, one piece bolts, M16 style extractors. Howa makes the Weatherby Vanguard, too. I've owned two Howas in the form of Vanguards. They are very good rifles.

https://www.howausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2021_lsi_catalog_LR-LQ_V2.pdf
I would buy a tikka t3 super varmint in
7mm mag or 300 win mag if they were imported to the US.
Since they are not a t3 lite in 7mm mag or 300 win mag
Bergara b14 HMR is a close 2nd in the same calibers
I’ve pointed all that out about a hundred times. Also, they’re made from forged steel and have about the easiest bolt takedown imaginable. The floorplates are merely aluminum and not super robust, but all I’ve owned (5?) have worked flawlessly. My last one, as yet unfired, is a 6CM in a Wby stick, and cost all of $400. If Brownells gets the right barreled action in stock (and on sale!) I might have another one, as I have an extra Wby stock.
I'd get a standard wood/blue ruger Hawkeye in either 30-06 or 308win.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I'd get a standard wood/blue ruger Hawkeye in either 30-06 or 308win.

Boring. And would fill many truck beds with meat.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'd find another pre safety Marlin 336 .30-30 in nice condition and call it good. Add a good shooting .22 rifle and 12 gauge shotgun to that and I'd be set.

fascinating
Psh. Easy. T3 in ‘06, .270, or 7RM for being likely to be a shooter out of the gate, packable in the mountains, and a utilitarian design.

Also-rans in long-action would be a rem ti ‘06 or .270, and if going short-action, the montana 7mm-08

Funny that own the latter two, but not the std length tikka. If i did, would have to sell the ti and kimber…..
No doubt about it. A Ruger 77 Hawkeye Hunter stainless/walnut in 30-06 because they don't make it in 270.
I would invoke the universal lieutenant answer, "It depends on the situation.".

How do you hunt?

What do you hunt?

Where do you hunt?

What is your budget?

While I like to look at polished blued CM and walnut with a nice grain to it, the practical side of me opts for stainless and synthetic, but Cerakote and laminated wood will work too.

When it comes to new factory specs centerfire rifles in July 2021, I think that I would buy a Weatherby Vanguard2, as they are well made rifles and a better than average value. Actually, I'd buy the Cerakoted Weatherguard style.
Jeff you up and about yet? Hope you are recovering ok. mb
Christensen Arms

Weatherby (I like their cartridges)

Tikka & Sako (will probably get a Tikka for my kids)

CZ (accurate)

A friend has a half dozen or so Christensen Arms that I have helped him setup up with scopes and zero in. All have been very accurate. Based on those experiences, I will buy one.
Weatherby
Sauer
Of things I could easily grab right now, there's a CZ550 in 9.3x62 on gunbroker. B&C stock and it'd be OK. The 286gr partitions for the softs. cutting edge for the solid.

I wonder if the BC on those partitions is real or fantasy. I have a hard time believing a flat base .366 is .48 G1, but maybe?

In any case I'd much rather have that than the cost cutting round bottom, cartridge trigger, push feed, plunger eject, non-bolt locking safety craprifles that have infested the market.
Jeff you up and about yet? Hope you are recovering ok. mb

Doing lots better, thanks for asking. The knee is still a little weak and unstable, but I can walk up and down stairs without going one step at a time, can bike 10 miles without pain, can walk a couple of miles on flat pavement without pain and that I can forgive a guy for causing an accident, but not for being a criminal undocumented alien.
There are a few I might buy if I could find anything new & exciting. Those Biden bucks are just screaming to get spent on something new to fool around with. Nothing local, I've been to Danville, Lynchburg, Roanoke, Martinsville, 3 or 4 places in WV, my buddy even drove us to Richmond for a schitty little gunshow last week. Nothing much besides 308, 270, creedmore, & 243s. Yawn... One place had a PRC but no brass, ammo or dies. Almost got a Henry SS in 223 just for giggles, but no scope base in stock. Found a 257 Roberts in a stainless Kimber... with a 22" barrel. WTF?
I regret not getting a Fieldcraft. Now I would get a Kimber Adirondak in 6.5 C if I didn't have to leave it in the truck as often as I do. When Tikka comes out w/ a Superlight in 6 C that will probably replace my T3 light 308 as my go to rifle.

mike r

Kimber hunter .30-06
Why?
-Ease of finding ammo on shelves anywhere
-Ease of finding reloading components
-Almost infinite bullet selection for hand loading
-Can load to cover all NA game (realistically almost world wide)
-Drop mag makes it easy for fast loading (driving in to your spot)
-Stainless for easy maintenance
-Stock fit/design is excellent and tough
-Light weight (10 mins nets you an additional free 8oz of savings)
-Accurate out of the box (personal experience of 12 kimbers)
-CRF
-Locking bolt
-Affordable
Originally Posted by Nashville

Kimber hunter .30-06
Why?
-Ease of finding ammo on shelves anywhere
-Ease of finding reloading components
-Almost infinite bullet selection for hand loading
-Can load to cover all NA game (realistically almost world wide)
-Drop mag makes it easy for fast loading (driving in to your spot)
-Stainless for easy maintenance
-Stock fit/design is excellent and tough
-Accurate out of the box (personal experience of 12 kimbers)
-CRF
-Locking bolt
-Affordable

Do you have 06 plentiful in CA?
Here in the states it seems like even 06 is an issue if you don't have it stocked and need to get it now
Blows my mind the 06 is scarce

Hank
Haven’t looked for components recently, never looked for loaded ammo at all. A couple months ago I was still able to find components with just a little looking.

Currently EVERYTHING in general for the past year and a half has been more difficult to find no matter the caliber. I would say current affairs are extraordinary and not the norm… lets hope that holds true and doesn’t become the norm.
2 friends have recently bought Sauer 100's from local Ace Hardware....brought them here for scope mounting and test firing...pretty hard to pry me away from Mausers, but the Sauer's could do it. At first glance I was skeptical of the forward descending combline, until I shot it. Reduces felt recoil amazingly well. Much more comfortable balance and one handed carry than Tikka. One fellow mounted an older Kahles 6x with a short 3.7" eye relief so with the long 14" L O P. he was having to crawl the stock...instead of butchering the stock, I used a Weaver extension ring to get the scope back further.
I recommended they bring factory ammo (both guys bought '06's) and fireform some new brass to start with. One guy brought Winchester PSP 150 gr, final 5 shots went into 1.1 inches. The other cheapskate brought PPU 165 gr. I said Jeez, Matt, does UPS pay that bad? I had to apologize....last 5 rounds went into .8 inches, 4 of them touching. They called me a week later, I asked about cleaning, 2 wet patches and 3 dry patches and done, no visible copper wash.
Win M70 Extreme Weather in .338

Kill everything with it
Been a Tikka guy since 1976. The most recent is a T3 Stainless synthetic in 6.5 Swede. Shoots great and kills big.
Got mine in 1993...when Winchester brought the M70 back from the dead. A 308 synethic with that ole trigger that is without a doubt the best I have ever put a finger on. Also got a 243 that is in the same fold...M70. Never owned the pre 64 models, but what I got will do for me till I die. Just something about the M70 that says take me hunting today.
Originally Posted by Blueboy
Just something about the M70 that says take me hunting today.
that's true and all my pushfeed M70's say the same with never a malfunction and pickup loads of dead deer , antelope and a bull elk. Oh and by the way they are from when you called them dead. Mb
Tikka still make 695's?
Originally Posted by boatboy

Do you have 06 plentiful in CA?
Here in the states it seems like even 06 is an issue if you don't have it stocked and need to get it now
Blows my mind the 06 is scarce

Hank

There's some availability nationally. PPU is most in stock.

That said for the reloader there's not much difference between cartridges right now - I was able to painlessly spool up for 375 WSM and 28 Nosler during all this nonsense, but right now .30-06 brass seems to be restricted to range pickups. A common cartridge can be as much of a disadvantage as an advantage.
Originally Posted by Blueboy
Got mine in 1993...when Winchester brought the M70 back from the dead. A 308 synethic with that ole trigger that is without a doubt the best I have ever put a finger on. Also got a 243 that is in the same fold...M70. Never owned the pre 64 models, but what I got will do for me till I die. Just something about the M70 that says take me hunting today.

New Haven classics would be high on my list as well. Mine are not exactly factory rifles, but they check all the boxes even better than the CZ550 I mentioned a bit back since they have a more reliable trigger. A factory one in 300 or 325 WSM would suit me just fine with a stock and bottom metal change.
I would be hoping for a factory Mini action chambered for a caliber of at least 6mm Caliber with a barrel twist to handle at least 100 gr bullets. Hope we may push these 100 plus grain bullets at a velocity of 2700 fps plus. and the difficult consideration for most any caliber these days, Need to have ammo available at a price that won't break the bank. I think id prefer a barrel length of roughly 22" in length.
Originally Posted by moosemike
No doubt about it. A Ruger 77 Hawkeye Hunter stainless/walnut in 30-06 because they don't make it in 270.

I forgot about the Mauser M18. I really want one of those
A Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

How do you hunt? # 1

What do you hunt? # 2

Where do you hunt? # 3

What is your budget?

While I like to look at polished blued CM and walnut with a nice grain to it, the practical side of me opts for stainless and synthetic, but Cerakote and laminated wood will work too.

260, I am serious, your first 3 questions don't make ANY diff to or for me. The rifle or cartridges - I choose - work just as well in close cover or open terrain.

Having said that...
I agree about SS & Composite.

This rifle has been my FAV since 1981 when it was introduced.

BUT SS & Composite have qualities that wood/blue do not.
These have become my FAV for hunting ANYWHERE - ANYTIME

270 Win (R), 7mm RM (L)

I have and have posted too many pix of THESE with WT they have killed.

As Skeeter Skelton wrote:
"Nothing is prettier than Walnut & Blue
Nothing is more practical than Stainless Steel & Rubber" (composite)

Jerry

How do you hunt? # 1

What do you hunt? # 2

Where do you hunt? # 3

What is your budget?

260, I am serious, your first 3 questions don't make ANY diff to or for me. The rifle or cartridges - I choose - work just as well in close cover or open terrain.

Having said that...

270 Win (R), 7mm RM (L)

Jerry

Nothing is prettier than "walnut & blue"????
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

How do you hunt? # 1

What do you hunt? # 2

Where do you hunt? # 3

What is your budget?

Having said that...

270 Win (R), 7mm RM (L)

Jerry

I dunno, it’s close...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Beautiful fwt there gooch
I forgot, I bought a Weatherby Vanguard. Nice rifles.
"Quote" BSA

[/quote]

YES

whistle grin

AND

? ? ? ? ?

Jerry
I like the Walnut/SS look myself. Bought factory wood for a Hawkeye AW and a CZ 455 SS.

Custom wood is priced way out of my comfort zone. My smith looked at the stock on an old FN sporter I picked up for $800 and said he’d have to charge $2K to whittle out one like it.
M70 Extreme Weather in 308
Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight, still the one others are measured by.
Howa
I'd likely grab a stainless Tikka in 270 or 7mm-08 so I can do everything I need without much fuss. Then I'd start adding rifles that interest me.
Just saw a new M70 featherweight blued and wood stock for 989 in 6.5 Creedmoor any body looking? Mb
"Quote" BSA

YES

whistle grin

AND

? ? ? ? ?

Jerry[/quote]

I'll take walnut/stainless everytime
Elk County Ammo and Arm has a load of Kimber Hunters in stock in .30-06, .270, .257 Roberts (now this one is interesting), .243 and 7mm-08.
https://ammoandarmsstore.com/3000792/

They also have the M70 Featherweight in 6.5C for $929.
https://ammoandarmsstore.com/535200289/
Mike

It’s really a personal thing.

“Beauty in the eye”

We all have diff likes / dislikes.

There are cartridges some like......

There are stocks some like......

etc etc

Jerry
Big Tikka fan here. For a budget rifle the YC Venture/Venture 2 is a great deal. Very accurate.
If I was starting over, and knowing now what I didn't know then, I'd save a crap-load of money and buy a Browning X-Bolt stainless synthetic in .308 Win. and call it good.

Oh, who am I fooling, 1 rifle wouldn't be good enough, I'd fill in around it with some levers, pumps and more bolts too!
Originally Posted by Nashville

Kimber hunter .30-06
Why?

You mind giving a little more detail here?
Have not read the 112 previous replies. If I could only have one it would be one of three. 1. Weatherby Vanguard2, 2. Savage 16/116 Weather Warrior, 3 Tikka. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't synthetic and stainless. The cartridge would be .30-06 or .308W with .30-06 being the clear favorite.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yeah. I could make that work
There's no long distance shots around here
anymore. About 200 yards is it
All the places i used to be able to hunt to the
west and southwest of here are all leased up
at top dollar rates and/or HF trophy ranches.
1: Action has to have integral mounts.
2: Action has to have integral recoil lug
3: Bolt handle has to be integral with bolt
4: Simple trigger.. stupid simple
5: No cast actions..

That removes basically everything?

So I only buy Tikka T3 new..
And spend my money on older rifles that has these features.
Mike

It’s really a personal thing.

“Beauty in the eye”

We all have diff likes / dislikes.

There are cartridges some like......

There are stocks some like......

etc etc

Jerry

Yuppers
Agree on 2, 3, and 4. 1 & 5 are negotiable.

Are you against cast because you doubt their strength, because they can come out crooked, or just because? Testing has proved them stronger than ones machined from at least some types of bar stock. Certainly they’re strong enough. I still prefer forged, like 98s and Howas, current Weatherbys too, I’ve read.
I’d stick with my Blaser straight pull, switch barrel system.
Originally Posted by Northman
1: Action has to have integral mounts.
2: Action has to have integral recoil lug
3: Bolt handle has to be integral with bolt
4: Simple trigger.. stupid simple
5: No cast actions..

That removes basically everything?

So I only buy Tikka T3 new..
And spend my money on older rifles that has these features.

The ONLY reason schit like this is fhuqking HILARIOUS,is because you Fhuqktards are trying your hardest,to do your best. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................
Tikka or might try a Fierce or Barrett and would at least look at a Browning.
None
Well, Stick has entered the fray. This should devolve quickly.
You MAGNIFICENTLY Stupid Drooling Dumbfhuqks,never disappoint,by simply doing your best. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

1: Teeker integral "mounts" are pieces of fhuqking schit. Hint
2: Teeker "integral" recoil "lugs" are a fhuqking joke. Hint
3: Teeker "integral" bolt handles are a fhuqking joke. Hint
4: Teeker triggers ARE Stupid. Hint
5: Did she get (1) "right"?!? Hint

Teeker mags are absolute fhuqking Dog Schit,as are their "bottom metal" and mag release. Though in fairness,Torx fasteners are nice. Hint.

In no particular fhuqking order. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Stick, what bottom metal/mag are you using on that Tikka? Does it require smithing or is it a direct swap? Also, the glass is interesting. I know you run premium stuff and that seems to be "high grade target" without being overly bulky. What is it?
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Agree on 2, 3, and 4. 1 & 5 are negotiable.

Are you against cast because you doubt their strength, because they can come out crooked, or just because? Testing has proved them stronger than ones machined from at least some types of bar stock. Certainly they’re strong enough. I still prefer forged, like 98s and Howas, current Weatherbys too, I’ve read.

Cast can be plenty strong.. but machining something from a bar stock or forged is the better thing in my eyes.

Tikka would be at the top of the heap for me. Shoots outta the box. No need to finger [bleep] new triggers, better mags and all the BS spouted here. It is the epitome of plug and play. If you want to tinker, Origin and AI mags.
Originally Posted by devnull
Tikka would be at the top of the heap for me. Shoots outta the box. No need to finger [bleep] new triggers, better mags and all the BS spouted here. It is the epitome of plug and play. If you want to tinker, Origin and AI mags.

T R U T H ^^^^^. Personal experience since 2003, T 3 Lite SS 270 W has forever home !!

Jerry
You Crying Karens be SURE to keep obliviously quantifying,how the less you "do","see" and "know",the "better" everything is...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your CLUELESS Fhuqktard Chronicles and the SWEET "satisfactions" that are your's,due the only things you "shoot" are your mouths and Imaginations. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................
Did somebody say something? I didn't think so.
Soooo...do Tikkas suck?
Is that what I am reading?
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You Crying Karens be SURE to keep obliviously quantifying,how the less you "do","see" and "know",the "better" everything is...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your CLUELESS Fhuqktard Chronicles and the SWEET "satisfactions" that are your's,due the only things you "shoot" are your mouths and Imaginations. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though.

Hint.

"Blah, blah, blah. I'm a thin skinned little bitch"

Crying Karen,

There is ZERO fhuqking need to reiterate that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot,but it's a nice "touch"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes are in indeed a "rugged" lot and it's fortunate for you,that Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

I could not begin to surmise,what voices you Woke Kchunts "hear" in your pointy heads,but it's fascinating that you feel compelled to quantify same. Hint.

Perhaps give thought to combining your "powers",because you Hissy Fitting Fhuqktards are doing "great" and THE Twatly Trifecta is awe inspiring. Give or fhuqking take. Hint. LAUGHING!

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you Fhuqktards,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
Look everybody, the Tikka fan boys showed up:

I'd buy a Rigby Highland Stalker in 275 Rigby.

I love my push feed M70 Featherweight in 7X57. If I could find a pre '64 M70 in 7X57 that didn't cost a fortune, I'd buy it.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

That would be sweet. But I'd have to sell my truck and most belongings.
Oh, the irony. Big Schtick is gonna give people lessons on Tikkas sucking while he posts pictures of factory Tikka barrel he uses.
Oh, the irony. Big Schtick is gonna give people lessons on Tikkas sucking while he posts pictures of factory Tikka barrel he uses.

Crying Karen,

PLEASE don't tease me,about shooting all the wares you google about,because that is "mean"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm VERY fhuqking "Surprised!",that you follow my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,you Brokedick Whining CLUELESS Kchunt. hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Trying,Whing and Crying.

Hint.

Originally Posted by Rickshaw

Maybe, but that rifle would last you the rest of your days while you will buy several trucks in the rest of you life. Might as well buy a nice rifle and enjoy it.

Maybe, but that rifle would last you the rest of your days while you will buy several trucks in the rest of you life. Might as well buy a nice rifle and enjoy it.

Hmmmm. What’s the interest rate on a gun loan? Fine rifle for sure.
Did I call it or what?!

Hmmmm. What’s the interest rate on a gun loan? Fine rifle for sure.

I like this outlook for sure

Crying Karen,

There is ZERO fhuqking need to reiterate that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot,but it's a nice "touch"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Melting Snowflakes are in indeed a "rugged" lot and it's fortunate for you,that Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

I could not begin to surmise,what voices you Woke Kchunts "hear" in your pointy heads,but it's fascinating that you feel compelled to quantify same. Hint.

Perhaps give thought to combining your "powers",because you Hissy Fitting Fhuqktards are doing "great" and THE Twatly Trifecta is awe inspiring. Give or fhuqking take. Hint. LAUGHING!

Gals who "know" and "do" as "much" as you Fhuqktards,will ALWAYS be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Bless your hearts.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Is that all you know what to speak, swearing & profanity ?
RamKchunt,

You be SURE to denote every fhuqking word I've used,that was "too big" or "too Technical" for your Retardation to "understand"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

Speaking of words that are too big and too technical to understand? Hmmm...

To quote Big Stick: "reinforcing is not a word"
Well that’s an interesting question that many of us has asked ourselves. I think every reply here is absolutely correct for those who posted it.
For me I would choose a rifle/caliber so far not mentioned. It would be my Remington 25-06 as restocked by Mark Bansner with his Sheep Hunter stock. A Timney trigger with a 6x36 Leupold scope on top make an excellent open country combo.
Jack O’Connor once wrote, “the difference between the 120 grain 25-06 and the 130 grain 270 lies in the realm of the imagination”.
And the 25-05 shoots a little flatter with a little less recoil.
Just my two cents worth.
Id proly get a Steyr CL II SX in midweight
.308win.
A few that have followed me home over the years, all straight factory, wrapped in wood,
any, without question, I would buy again, today!

Blaser

Browning

Cooper

Dakota

Merkel

Sako

Sauer

Steyr

ya!

GWB
Twig boy,

Remind us again, how many shooting matches have you won?
Stewardess7,

Here's to the HILARITY and well founded NEED of your copious Insecurities...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Be SURE to start a Thread,if/when you can "afford" your FIRST rifle. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Seekins Havak
Again, it is quite clear that Big Stick has shot one rifle more than most of the the total rifle rounds any one of us has fired over a lifetime. He works. He shoots. He shoots some more...and more again. His saying, "The ultimate tutorial is spent primers" is spot on. In a year he shoots more than 95% of us shoot in our lives. That's experience. Experience is when you are tested first them learn the lesson after the test. He cuts his barrels off at the optimum length, in general, long ago arrived at by the Benchrest Shooters Association. Those guys shoot groups routinely in 0.25 MOA and better. The bench rest boys in general shoot barrels 19"~21" in length. I read at one time in Precision Shooting (now discontinued) that 21.5" was the preferred length for the 6PPC. The short answer is he cuts his barrels off because he has shot literally millions of rounds and obviously gets better accuracy across the board with the 19"~21" barrel length. The ultimate tutorial is spent primers.
Dayum, GW! Thems some fine shooting’ sticks right there! Happy Trails
Dood,

the 1,000 yard 10 shot group of 2.6” 100-10x from a match earlier this year was from a 30” Krieger.

To the original question, the Bergara Premier line took the R700 and actually used quality parts that don’t need to be replaced on Day 1. Basically it is the rifle lots of guys put together for a tuned up R700 and what Remington should have done for the last 50 years.

FN seems to be making the best Model 70 ever for those that like that route.

The Mauser 12 is a quality barreled action though the stock has odd ergos.

They also are making the M98 again, which is as good as any ever made in the past and better than most. The pricing is brisk. fwiw - Rigby’s are just rebranded Mausers with different stock dimensions, which also are odd ergos at least to me.

I have many rifles including customs in the safe, but usually take an earlier gen .308 Montana Rifle Company with a Nightforce hunting.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Again, it is quite clear that Big Stick has shot one rifle more than most of the the total rifle rounds any one of us has fired over a lifetime. He works. He shoots. He shoots some more...and more again. His saying, "The ultimate tutorial is spent primers" is spot on. In a year he shoots more than 95% of us shoot in our lives. That's experience. Experience is when you are tested first them learn the lesson after the test. He cuts his barrels off at the optimum length, in general, long ago arrived at by the Benchrest Shooters Association. Those guys shoot groups routinely in 0.25 MOA and better. The bench rest boys in general shoot barrels 19"~21" in length. I read at one time in Precision Shooting (now discontinued) that 21.5" was the preferred length for the 6PPC. The short answer is he cuts his barrels off because he has shot literally millions of rounds and obviously gets better accuracy across the board with the 19"~21" barrel length. The ultimate tutorial is spent primers.

Oh he's so dreamy isn't he? Still have pinups of him on your walls?
[quote=Magnumdood]Again, it is quite clear that Big Stick has shot one rifle more than most of the the total rifle rounds any one of us has fired over a lifetime. He works. He shoots. He shoots some more...and more again. His saying, "The ultimate tutorial is spent primers" is spot on. In a year he shoots more than 95% of us shoot in our lives. That's experience. Experience is when you are tested first them learn the lesson after the test. He cuts his barrels off at the optimum length, in general, long ago arrived at by the Benchrest Shooters Association. Those guys shoot groups routinely in 0.25 MOA and better. The bench rest boys in general shoot barrels 19"~21" in length. I read at one time in Precision Shooting (now discontinued) that 21.5" was the preferred length for the 6PPC. The short answer is he cuts his barrels off because he has shot literally millions of rounds and obviously gets better accuracy across the board with the 19"~21" barrel length. The ultimate tutorial is spent primers.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Holy Crap !

IF you are serious (?), you have swallowed his LOAD. crazy sick

jwall said that !
jbird:

NICE buck !

Jerry
GDUB

Those are some SERIOUSLY fine firearms there. Fantastic.

Man, you know i was kidding about the 'brewery', don't ya ?

Jerry
Originally Posted by OGB
Did I call it or what?!

Yes without a doubt !! Then again was there any doubt ?

Guys - I simply don't feed trolls ! It's like playing with a Rattlesnake.

Jerry

S W E E T

Jerry
If I had all those, I’d spend half the season deciding which one to take.

Shooting matches, zero. Not a one. I have nothing to back up all my BS talk.

Sounds about right.

Twig boy,
While you fret over actions, stocks, scopes, headstamps, and bullets, many others just go out and hunt and kill scheet. You should try it instead of focusing on running up your post count. And don't post pics of your pards kills and claim them as your own you lying sack of sheeit. The wolf ring a bell? Yeah, you know it does.
GW,

What a beautiful (and functional) collection! Appreciate the pics.

GDUB

Man, you know i was kidding about the 'brewery', don't ya ?

Jerry

I like beer!

and I should be so lucky as to live in a brewery!

Good stuff sir!

Best,

GWB
jbird:

NICE whitetail !

Jerry

It's a great deer, but that's not a whitetail...
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7

Shooting matches, zero. Not a one. I have nothing to back up all my BS talk.

Sounds about right.

Twig boy,
While you fret over actions, stocks, scopes, headstamps, and bullets, many others just go out and hunt and kill scheet. You should try it instead of focusing on running up your post count. And don't post pics of your pards kills and claim them as your own you lying sack of sheeit. The wolf ring a bell? Yeah, you know it does.

Stewardess7,

Pardon the fact I simply shoot it all and then some,as you set on the outside looking in,feverishly glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixels...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here's to the fhuqking HILARITY of your exceptionally WELL founded and countless Insecurities,as you lick windows and "live" vicariously. Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Please keep that high-pitched nasal whine coming,as it do warm the heart. Perhaps cite how many times a day you think about me and correlate the HILARIOUS ratio of how same,soooooooo very outpaces the rounds you "shoot"?!? Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
elkchunt,

There's ZERO need for you to reiterate that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I realize that a "good" day for you,is one where you don't schit your pants. Better "luck" tomorrow?!? Hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Originally Posted by GregW
[quote=jwall]jbird:

NICE whitetail !

Jerry
-----------------------

Really - who said whitetail?

jbird:

NICE buck !

Jerry

whistle
grin grin
Twig boy,

So you have nothing to back up your claims, only photos of rusted out junk and a high post count.

"Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................"
Grin....

Nice. But wouldn't you want a quality gun over that?

[Linked Image from westleyrichards.com]
jbird:

NICE whitetail !

Jerry

Weak G1's, but it is a whitetail from the Golden Triangle area north of Laredo in South Texas.
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

WOW!
Originally Posted by jeffbird
jbird:

NICE whitetail !

Jerry

Weak G1’s, but it is a whitetail from the Golden Triangle area north of Laredo in South Texas.

Seriously? Insane. Identical markings to desert mule deer from that angle.

I stand corrected JWall.

Great buck. Never hunted those Golden Triangle deer but looks like a different buck, like an AZ Strip buck. He's a mule deer but just a tank...

Our desert bucks....

WOW!

BTW, not mine. But in my dreams. One day. Maybe.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/us/
Going to dream, dream big! wink
Greg,

that area is semi-arid bordering on transition into true desert. Long ago it was called the Wild Horse Desert. The deer in the western area of South Texas are a different subspecies that extends over into Mexico.

Body weights on mature bucks average 225 - 250, one I took years ago was 265 on the scales. Really depends on the amount of rain in a year.

This year has been wet and cool, relatively speaking, so hopes are high for good year.

Yes, very similar looking to your deer. Thanks for sharing those. 👍
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Greg,

that area is semi-arid bordering on transition into desert. The deer in the western area of South Texas are a different subspecies that extends over into Mexico.

Body weights on mature bucks average 225 - 250, although one I took years ago was 265 on the scales. Really depends on the amount of rain in a year.

This year has been wet and cool, relatively speaking, so hopes are high for good year.

Yes sir...

Hope you slay a giant. How far from Del Rio/Carrizo?
Cotulla is the closest town.
Copy...
Originally Posted by hanco
Sako, wood stock, cause I like wood.

I agree, probably in 6.5 X 55 just like the one I've got, or possibly in .308, which is a pretty good cartridge too.
I prefer new "old" in 280 Rem [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Twig boy,

So you have nothing to back up your claims, only photos of rusted out junk and a high post count.

Hint.

Stewardess7,

Feel free to extoll your Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude and simply screen shot any/all of the "claims" which bruise you deepest and I'll happily rub your nose even further in your own STUPIDITY...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

P.S. and by the way,I'll make it look easy,if only because it is(for me). Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart and your VERY Tender Feelers.

Hint.

jbird:

NICE whitetail !

Jerry

NO problem Greg.
On my second look I thot it might have been a
Hybrid ??? Glad to know regardless.
Twig boy,

Hint.

Stewardess7,

Feel free to extoll your Delusional Dumbfhuqktitude and simply screen shot any/all of the "claims" which bruise you deepest and I'll happily rub your nose even further in your own STUPIDITY...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

P.S. and by the way,I'll make it look easy,if only because it is(for me). Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart and your VERY Tender Feelers.

Hint.

So just how many shooting matches have you won to demonstrate your expert knowledge and ability? Very simple, straight forward question sweetheart.

Those are very nice but for me I'd want a "lesser" rifle that I wouldn't be afraid to hunt with and get it marked up.

I had a working faux Rigby Stalker built with this very purpose in mind and was a fair bit less expensive than the factory Rigby currently offered.
LarryO, aka bacon throat!!! I found your throat trimmings at Costco!!!! Haha
Originally Posted by Judman

Posts like these are what make the GOOD guys leave

SHEESH
SHEESH
I did, it's a Tikka Roughtech 6.5CM and I sold off my other so/so rifles to get it. Cause it's what I wanted. It's not the Sako I had back when but it's damn close. Mike
Originally Posted by BobBrown

SHEESH
SHEESH

Bob: how do you feel about Larry's (Big Stick) posts?

SHEESH
SHEESH

😂😂
Ran all my data into the computer over and over. Every answer was the same. Weatherby Vanguard synthetic all weather. I didn't question about cartridge as I knew it would be a Creedmoor! The rifle will be chambered in .270 Winchester.
Originally Posted by southtexas

SHEESH
SHEESH

Bob: how do you feel about Larry's (Big Stick) posts?

I think he is either one hell of an actor or severely retarded.

LMAO
A Legend in his own mind !!
He is far from a Retard or a Legend, but it is never not funny how he lives in all your heads rent free.

How easy we get off topic! Again I'll stick with my answer SEEKINS HAVAK!
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
He is far from a Retard or a Legend, but it is never not funny how he lives in all your heads rent free.

Maybe so

But I bet he knows how to sell in the Classifieds

The standard HAVAK is a great sporter weight rifle. I'd really like to try the ELEMENT version.
Few things as soothing in the morning,as a herd of Crying Karens and their High Pitched Emotional Whines in synch...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Got locked in on another Limited Run yesterday. I reckon it probably ain't a Teeker. Hint.

Bless your hearts for the perpetual Hissy Fit.

Hint.

He is far from .... or a Legend, but it is never not funny how he lives in all your heads rent free.

Oh yes MCH - he's a legend in HIS OWN MIND......only.

I ain't interested in ANYTHING he has or says. I seldom respond. IGNORE is simpler.

jwall said that.
Anyway, back to rifles...

You didn't say it had to be a currently-produced factory rifle.

Option 1. I would select a JC Higgins model 50 / 51 (commercial FN Maurer 98 action) in 30-06, install a Timney Sportsman trigger, drop it in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, and mount a
Leupold 4x M8 long tube scope on it ( with a #4 reticle).

Option 2. . Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather ( stainless metal / composite stock) in 30-06 with a Leupold 3x scope.

Hey, what a shock! Those are exactly my two "big game" rifles. I practice what I preach.
jsquall,

Be SURE to keep fighting the "good fight",as you "boldly" schlep STUPIDITY to places it's never been before...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I REALLY "believe" you. Hint.

Bless your heart,you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

Crying Karens can't believe that some folks actually shoot,rather than being forced to GoogleFu their Fhuqktardation and reiterate that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you gals,Imagination and pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Simply pardon wares that exist,if only to fuel your very WELL founded Insecurities. Hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!........................
At the risk of being over-exposed, a few more "factory" offerings I would buy again.........

Remington.....

700 Sendereo, 338 RUM

Custom Shop 700, 300 Win Mag

C-Grade 700, 270 Win

LVSF, 221 Fireball

Model 7 Predator, 17 Fireball

Winchester

Winchester M70 Super Grade, 300 WSM

1885, 270 WSM

Weatherby

Super Varmintmaster, 308 Win.

Mk V Accumark, 257 Bee

Mark V Accumark, 240 Bee

ya!

GWB

Maybe so

I don't know my stuff sold fast enough for me. Some people just can't follow instructions! Add a post count below 300 makes you a little suspicious. Clearly the guy is unstable just by his post. I have had mix ups before both buying and selling. Everyone PM'ed like grown men and figured it out.

Maybe so

I don't know my stuff sold fast enough for me. Some people just can't follow instructions! Add a post count below 300 makes you a little suspicious. Clearly the guy is unstable just by his post. I have had mix ups before both buying and selling. Everyone PM'ed like grown men and figured it out.

Are you speaking of B, or the guy bitchin' in the Classifieds?

Quien Sabe?

GWB

Maybe so

Haha 😂

Little hint of “flave”. That you Clarke? Haha
Few things as soothing in the morning,as a herd of Crying Karens and their High Pitched Emotional Whines in synch...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Got locked in on another Limited Run yesterday. I reckon it probably ain't a Teeker. Hint.

Bless your hearts for the perpetual Hissy Fit.

Hint.

Oh my, the wal mart bushelor got some engraving!!! Haha

Nice work bacon throat!!! 👍

PS, I found your throat trimmings!!! Hola!!😂😂

Thanks for the direct replies to the question asked.

I am a rifle loony and I have enjoyed buying, using, and selling rifles over the last few years. I have sold a few rifles lately and I am looking to replace them with one rifle. The Forbes nor the Kimber Montana fit me very well. I like everything else about the Montana. I actually like the way the Kimber Hunter feels so that is one of my options as well as the Tikka Lite Stainless. I want a stainless and synthetic with the barrel length of 20" to 22". I want a cartridge that I can buy a decent selection of factory ammo and on the lower side of the recoil level. Maybe 257 Roberts in the Kimber Hunter but the ammo selection is not as good as some others. I could also live with a 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7mm-08.
HMMMMMM!

Weatherby comes to mind!

A lot of choices today vs. years ago!

I like Ruger!

Depends on what I plan on doing, and where I'm going!

Love my Winchesters, (Several), pre-64!!!

Wouldn't trade my Custom 300 Win Mag, on a Sako action, by Accuflite for anything!

Lot's of Choices!!!
I would look at Sako, Mauser and Kimber
It is never not funny how he lives in all your heads rent free.

You greatly over estimate twig boy. He is never a thought in my mind, just a waste of screen space when I browse through forum discussions. He offers nothing but the same, generic, played out insults to everyone across the board, which are meaningless. He used to be kind of entertaining, but for a joke or insult to be funny or effective, it has to have some truth to it. Most of his responses are elementary school playground type junk and not at all tailored to the audience. His BS to me, who cares, not even close to home so not funny or entertaining or anything. If I wanted to insult him I could say he's a sorry @$$ troll who didn't take care of his son, didn't take care of his wife, doesn't take care of his rusted out junk, and doesn't take care of himself which is why his photos remind me of Chet from Weird Science.

[Linked Image from syfy.com]
Stewardess7,

Rest assured,that NOBODY can insult you,better than you can,by simply doing your BEST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I know,I know...you "weren't thinking" about me yet again. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Here's to how VERY well founded your amazingly long list of Insecurities are,you poor poor(literally) Melting Snowflake. Hint.

Bless your heart,for TRYING so hard,I REALLY "believe" you.

hint.

So predictable, as always. I drop truth and facts and you come back with imagination and pretend. Cool story bro.
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
HMMMMMM!

Weatherby comes to mind!

A lot of choices today vs. years ago!

I like Ruger!

Depends on what I plan on doing, and where I'm going!

Love my Winchesters, (Several), pre-64!!!

Wouldn't trade my Custom 300 Win Mag, on a Sako action, by Accuflite for anything!

Lot's of Choices!!!

Yeah, weatherby cartridges for sure, the rifles suck. Ruger is good, pre 64's goes without saying. Lots of good choices, maybe..
So predictable, as always. I drop truth and facts and you come back with imagination and pretend. Cool story bro.

Stewardess7,

While you "weren't thinking about me" again,I simply granted you opportunity to reiterate that you are a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Just a typical morning for me,which exceeds your "life". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Let's hear it, name one lie. Just one. Once again, cool story bro.
Stewardess7,

Do NOT "forget",that you "don't" perpetually think about me...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps,mention that "claim" again? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for Lying,Trying,Crying and Whining.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
I'd pick-up a pre-64 model 70 Win in 30-06 and be a happy camper.
And swing and a miss, once more. Coming up short is the story of your life, eh Chet? Enjoy your imagination and pretend, I have better things to do like scratch my balls.
Originally Posted by waterrat

Make mine a fwt....

You greatly over estimate twig boy. He is never a thought in my mind, just a waste of screen space when I browse through forum discussions. He offers nothing but the same, generic, played out insults to everyone across the board, which are meaningless. He used to be kind of entertaining, but for a joke or insult to be funny or effective, it has to have some truth to it. Most of his responses are elementary school playground type junk and not at all tailored to the audience. His BS to me, who cares, not even close to home so not funny or entertaining or anything. If I wanted to insult him I could say he's a sorry @$$ troll who didn't take care of his son, didn't take care of his wife, doesn't take care of his rusted out junk, and doesn't take care of himself which is why his photos remind me of Chet from Weird Science.

You proved my point!
Seekins Havak or Barrett Fieldcraft. I've got both and both shoot half MOA with ease. If I wanted wood I'd go Kimber classic or super America.
I just bought a lightly used Kimber Montana in 6.5 C, not easy to find at the moment.
Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather in .280 Rem, topped w/ 4200 Elite 3-9x40 and toss in a Dayton trigger.
After hunting in the crappy weather I did last fall I wouldn’t do it any other way. Yea it’s my current set up, I could do a all weather Hawkeye if I had to though. Today I just might talk myself into a Tika or Sako .
Zastava Mauser Mod 70 left hand action.

Depending on hunting conditions/ animals/environment I would get a .30-06 or maybe .300Win Mag for versatility and availability of ammunition etc..

Could also rebarrel one to another cartridge.
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather in .280 Rem, topped w/ 4200 Elite 3-9x40.

Yup .... I have a custom 700 in 280 with SS bbl in a Brown Precision topped with a VX2 3-9. I often think I could sell a lot of what I own and not want for anything if I kept that one rifle.

You proved my point!

Well, to be fair Montana, of taco’s last 20 posts only 12 of them were him chasing Stick or explaining how he doesn’t chase Stick.
So I wouldn’t say Stick lives in his head rent free, its more like he lives there rent subsidized.

As to the OP, only thing I would be looking at currently (personally) is a Fieldcraft 243 or 7/08, or another Montana chambered in 223 or 7/08 as backup to the ones I already have.
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr

You proved my point!

Well, to be fair Montana, of taco’s last 20 posts only 12 of them were him chasing Stick or explaining how he doesn’t chase Stick.
So I wouldn’t say Stick lives in his head rent free, its more like he lives there rent subsidized.

As to the OP, only thing I would be looking at currently (personally) is a Fieldcraft 243 or 7/08, or another Montana chambered in 223 or 7/08 as backup to the ones I already have.

And since you guys are talking about me, does that mean I'm in your head? Nope, not at all.
Current production, I'd get a Kimber Montana in 308. Used, a Model 700 in 308. GD
The last couple of factory rifles I bought were Weatherby Mark Vs and a Winchester 70. I won’t be buying any more Winchester products. I’ve been pleased with Mark Vs and Vanguards overall.
What was the issue with Winchesters?
If I can’t change any components on a factory rifle and only get one……I’d go with a Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0 Rifle in 300 win mag.

Winchester XPS trap gun 12 ga has a very gritty action and pretty stiff for a pump gun. The model 70 FN USA 7x57 has been reluctant to shoot factory ammo or handloads very well. Scopes (2), mounts, bedding, all checked and just doesn’t shoot under 1.5” at 100 yards. I have a Savage 111 7x57 that shoots same ammo and loads under 1”. The Model 70 is a beauty, but looks aren’t everything. I’m sure now that’s why the previous owner sent it down the road. I have one remaining handload with 145 gr LRX to try, then Auf wiedersehen, TTFN, Adios. Happy Trails
IMO the man that has a pre64 M70 in 30-06 has it all! Only thing that might be better? A customized Mauser in 06 or 7x57?
Without one, a new rifle? Maybe a top line Kimber or Cooper? Maybe a X Bolt Gold Medallion? But probably a M70 Super grade in 30-06 is what id get!
Had one Custom Cooper Rifle, .22 cal. a few yrs. back.
Custom Deluxe all the way.
Bought it, and Traded it from,and to my favorite Gun store, early serial # and all!
Worst bolt action, as far as smoothness, I ever handled!
Nonexistent, as far as Smooth action, Bolt working in the Chamber.
Not trying to knock the Cooper, at all, just stating facts!
Give me a pre-64 model 70, First Choice!!!
Started buying Cooper Rifles in the mid to late 90's

Back then about the only way you could get a sub-caliber "factory"rifle was a Cooper.

Lets see,
I've owned at least a couple dozen.....

17 Ackley Hornet, 17 HeBee, 17 MachIV, 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, 19 Calhoon, 20 Vartarg, Tac20, 22 Hornet(2), 222 Rem, 223, 223AI, 22-250, 6 x 47, 6 BR Rem., 243, 6mm-284, 250-3000 AI, 257 Bob AI, 25-06, 6.5-284, 7mm-08(2), 308 Win, 338-06

a representative sample,

The "Classic Stock style is my preference

Model 52 Jackson Game rifle (25-06) was one of my fav's

Model22 Varmint Extreme, 308 Win.

Couple of 7mm-08's (IIRC)

I shoot right handed, but got this Lefty Varmint Extreme in 223 Rem at a great price.

I really liked shooting it from the bench as one could hook his right hand, little finger over the elevation knob and use his thumb to lift the bolt, then load a round with his left hand.

It was a shooter (Primer Test)

Over the years most have followed someone else home,

But still have a few

22 Hornet, 19 Calhoon, 17 Ackley Hornet

20 VarTarg

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HNg8FhG.png[/img]

6mm x 47 (6mm-222 Rem Mag)

I guess I got lucky, as all of mine were shooters, had excellent fit and finish and bolts were slicker than owl-scheit!

as always, YMMV

ya!

GWB

Ok geedub, classiest sumbitch on the the fire!! Love it buddy.👍
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by waterrat

Make mine a fwt....

Me too,,,,,,,,,

You proved my point!

And since you guys are talking about me, does that mean I'm in your head? Nope, not at all.

And since you guys are talking about me, does that mean I'm in your head? Yeah you got me, but it is more like I am paying for the comedy show! Because it is never not funny how you all get so dam consumed by someone! Specially when that someone you say is retarded! So who is the retard?????

Geedubya, classy impressive, thanks for the pics! About 15 years ago, I wanted a Jackson Squirrel Rifle, but my CZ 452 was so deadly accurate, I fought it off!
Great looking Rifles! (Collection)

Known for their great Accuracy!!!

Just not for me!

You proved my point!

And since you guys are talking about me, does that mean I'm in your head? Yeah you got me, but it is more like I am paying for the comedy show! Because it is never not funny how you all get so dam consumed by someone! Specially when that someone you say is retarded! So who is the retard?????

I hope you’re not paying…. I usually sit back and enjoy the show, for free.

It’s never not funny.
Originally Posted by robertham1

You proved my point!

I hope you’re not paying…. I usually sit back and enjoy the show, for free.

It’s never not funny.

Not a Penny! smile
Wow, about all I got out of this thread is that some gay midget doesn't like Tikka's.
Ok geedub, classiest sumbitch on the the fire!! Love it buddy.👍

Actually Jud, the classiest denizen of these here fora is Dwayne.

But geedub does win the crown for the one who has the most toys.
Originally Posted by WAM

The model 70 FN USA 7x57 has been reluctant to shoot factory ammo or handloads very well. Scopes (2), mounts, bedding, all checked and just doesn’t shoot under 1.5” at 100 yards. I have a Savage 111 7x57 that shoots same ammo and loads under 1”. The Model 70 is a beauty, but looks aren’t everything. I’m sure now that’s why the previous owner sent it down the road. I have one remaining handload with 145 gr LRX to try, then Auf wiedersehen, TTFN, Adios. Happy Trails

Interesting. I have the exact same rifle (SC FN 7x57 fwt) with the exact same issue. I'm gonna try one or two more things then I think I'm going to send it to one of the accuracy shops. I really like the fit and feel, just want it to shoot as well as my others.

RM
Guys, these facts are interesting to me.

The ONLY rifle I've owned that would not group 4 or 5 into 1" (outside - outside) was a B B R
Browning Bolt Rifle in the 80s. It would throw 1 out of 4 outside every time.
It was NOT always the same # shot, it might be 1, or 3 or 2.

Sent it to Browning, Morgan Utah, They worked on the bolt AND the inletting >> SAME SAME.

It -Shows to Go- ya there are lemons in everything man made.

Jerry

The ONLY rifle I've owned that would not group 4 or 5 into 1" (outside - outside) was a B B R

Sent it to Browning, Morgan Utah, They worked on the bolt AND the inletting >> SAME SAME.

Jerry

Not to derail this thread, but it's been a real heart-breaker for me. I really like the feel, fit, and finish of the rifle, but so far it's been erratic. I know three- four- or five-shot groups don't mean anything, but if I shoot a four shot group, three of the four will be within about a half to 3/4 inch of one another, with the fourth landing at least an inch or more away. And it's never consistent as to which of the four it is. It's completely random. I've done all of the check issues: scope, bases, bedding, torque, etc., different bullets, different powders, etc., and it's always the same thing. I've not used Seafire's 3031 trick yet, simply because I don't have any, but the last thing I'm going to try is either a 120- or 140-grain TTSX with Big Game, Hunter, and IMR4350. If I still can't get anywhere I'll send it to someone to wring it out. I have one recommendation, others are welcome. In any event, I won't be sending it down the road since at this point I have too much emotional turmoil invested in it. We shall see.
Like many before have posted Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite in either 7mm08 or 308.
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
Like many before have posted Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite in either 7mm08 or 308.

Add stainless and I’m your huckleberry.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Me too..

I’d go with a Tikka!
I'd go a Mauser M12. The design is a bit different but I'm really enamored with mine.

Blued walnut for me.
Might have bought it last year I don't know. Was a used tikka T3x blued with 24" barrel in 6.5C for 425 bucks. Smooth shoots nice, my impression was it's a lot of gun for the money. Yeah I like the 24" barrel too. I allways get enthused when I get a lot of gun for little money. Mb
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Technically speaking, you're not his huckleberry; the rifle is. grin

I'm sorry, I had to, lol.
[quote=bsa1917hunter][quote=Pharmseller][quote=Marshhawk]Like many before have posted Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite in either 7mm08 or 308.

----------------------

----------------------
Me too..

I'll see your Tikka and Raise You One more!

whistle grin

Jerry

Jerry

Had an A-Bolt doing the same and took it to the Browning headquarters 10 minutes away. Seems the front action screw was a wisher too long and actually engaged the threads on the barrel shank. They were going to rebarrel it because they could see thread damage but it made removal of the original barrel a beech. They ended up giving me a brand new A Bolt. I read elsewhere after this on some forum where this issued had happen to a number of A Bolts and was identified and fixed but not after a bunch left the factory.

Jerry

Had an A-Bolt doing the same and took it to the Browning headquarters 10 minutes away. Seems the front action screw was a wisher too long and actually engaged the threads on the barrel shank. They were going to rebarrel it because they could see thread damage but it made removal of the original barrel a beech. They ended up giving me a brand new A Bolt. I read elsewhere after this on some forum where this issued had happen to a number of A Bolts and was identified and fixed but not after a bunch left the factory.

Original A-bolt correct? Not an A-bolt II.
Jim

I haven’t heard that but I always wondered.
Too late for me but nice to know.

Thanks

Jerry
For standard rifles, about the only thing I would consider would be a Kimber of some sort or a Fieldcraft.

Stainless/Synthetic. Standard round like a .308 or .30-06. Nothing fancy.
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Jerry

Original A-bolt correct? Not an A-bolt II.

Correct. It was a A Bolt micro to be more specific that I bought used at a great price.

If you're paying for it, a Proof Glacier Ti in 6.5PRC. Synthetic, nitrided, and CF barrel.

If I'm on the hook for it, probably a Christensen Ridgeline, again in 6.5PRC. I would for sure ditch the Ridgeline stock and go with a McM Game Hunter or Mesa Precision Attitude.
Rev Mike,

I really like the look and feel of the M70 Featherweight, but not enough to keep it if it’s not a shooter. I’ve had mixed results with Winchester rifles over the years and the only one that was a charm was a push feed Featherweight .257 Roberts that I sold to finance an elk hunt. Let me know if you find a cure!
Just bought a Ruger Predator in 6 CM , it's very impressive in accuracy. After trimming trigger spring and adjusting the trigger it's a sweet 2 lbs. I love Tikkas but they're getting pricey and this Ruger Predator is sweet for the price.
https://imgur.com/a/SRip1uX
[quote=bsa1917hunter][quote=Pharmseller][quote=Marshhawk]Like many before have posted Tikka T3X Lite or Superlite in either 7mm08 or 308.

----------------------

----------------------
Me too..

whistle grin

Jerry

That's all. You gamble, you lose:

^^^^ +300WSM and 6.5 CM Superlite:
For a superlite, it shoots pretty good^^^ Sub moa day in day out. Post what you got...

----------------------

----------------------
Me too..

whistle grin

Jerry

Look closely, those are 2 different Tikka's. My 308 and 7mm08. Both great rifles.
I’ve never heard anything bad about Tikka’s my only complaints are that the stocks are ugly as sin to my eye. That and the 22-250 has 1/14 twist and the .223 weighs more than a 7-08 due to not being built on a scaled down receiver.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’ve never heard anything bad about Tikka’s my only complaints are that the stocks are ugly as sin to my eye. That and the 22-250 has 1/14 twist and the .223 weighs more than a 7-08 due to not being built on a scaled down receiver.

There is also an eight twist 22-250
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Lite-22-250-Rem-224-1-8-Rifle-JRTXE314R8.aspx
BSA

I wondered IF those were 2 OR if one was wet ?

Jerry
Originally Posted by geedubya
A few that have followed me home over the years, all straight factory, wrapped in wood,
any, without question, I would buy again, today!

Blaser

Browning

Cooper

Dakota

Merkel

Sako

Sauer

Steyr

ya!

GWB

Damn GW, I would pay to take a tour of your gun room some day! (And your knife collection, beer fridge, liquor cabinet, humidor etc. grin) Always the coolest stuff on the 'fire.
Depending on your personal budget, the choices are endless. Personally I really like the Tikka T3 Stainless/synthetic, if I could only have one caliber, it would be 25-06.
Started buying Cooper Rifles in the mid to late 90's

Back then about the only way you could get a sub-caliber "factory"rifle was a Cooper.

Lets see,
I've owned at least a couple dozen.....

17 Ackley Hornet, 17 HeBee, 17 MachIV, 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, 19 Calhoon, 20 Vartarg, Tac20, 22 Hornet(2), 222 Rem, 223, 223AI, 22-250, 6 x 47, 6 BR Rem., 243, 6mm-284, 250-3000 AI, 257 Bob AI, 25-06, 6.5-284, 7mm-08(2), 308 Win, 338-06

a representative sample,

The "Classic Stock style is my preference

Model 52 Jackson Game rifle (25-06) was one of my fav's

Model22 Varmint Extreme, 308 Win.

Couple of 7mm-08's (IIRC)

I shoot right handed, but got this Lefty Varmint Extreme in 223 Rem at a great price.

I really liked shooting it from the bench as one could hook his right hand, little finger over the elevation knob and use his thumb to lift the bolt, then load a round with his left hand.

It was a shooter (Primer Test)

Over the years most have followed someone else home,

But still have a few

22 Hornet, 19 Calhoon, 17 Ackley Hornet

20 VarTarg

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HNg8FhG.png[/img]

6mm x 47 (6mm-222 Rem Mag)

I guess I got lucky, as all of mine were shooters, had excellent fit and finish and bolts were slicker than owl-scheit!

as always, YMMV

ya!

GWB

Geedubya, what did your taxidermist have to say when you got that porcupine mounted. I can’t imagine that was his favorite job.
If I had to start over I would go on gunbroker or similar site and buy an old late 70’s early 80’s vintage Remington 700 in 30-06 or 270. Adjust the trigger, bed the action, bolt on a 3X9 Leupold, feed it cheap green box ammunition and kill stuff.
Originally Posted by brinky72

Geedubya, what did your taxidermist have to say when you got that porcupine mounted. I can’t imagine that was his favorite job.

Here is the story!

I've been using the same taxidermist since the early 80's. He had probably done in excess of 40 mounts, most of which were done between 2000 and 2008. In fact I used to go by his shop once a week and bring him a six pack of Miller Beer and drop a $50.

I'm pretty much out of that routine these days.

Anywho, I had been at his shop, enjoying a brewski and a stogie when I spied a porcupine he had just finished. When I hunted in Rocksprings, Tx. there were porcupines all over, but at this particular time, and the lease I was on, I had only seen one porcupine in the last half dozen years. I mentioned that the next porcupine I saw, if I could take it, i would have him mount it.......

At this point a Sven & Ole joke comes to mind............ Sven had been out coon hunting. He managed to bag a couple. On the way home he warmed up with a couple of sips of schnapps and when he passed by Ole's Taxidermy shop he got an idea. He had numerous mounts but no coons. So he stops, grabs the two coons and goes in. He tells Ole that he would like him to stuff those two coons. So Ole replies, so ya' vant dem' coons mounted, eh'. Sven thinks a minute then replies, "No, Ole, I've got a Missus and kids at home, just have them holding hands!

So of all things, about two weeks after seeing that Porcupine at my bud's shop I was heading up to my lease. It's six miles in off the nearest paved road and it takes about 45 minutes to traverse the distance. I was past the first bump gate when I saw this Porky' crossing the road. I slowed down as he went into the brush. I was cussin' myself as I did not have a rifle or a shotgun at the ready. Well it wasn't but a few seconds later that the Porky climed up a scrub oak a few yards off the road. He stopped on a limb about 10' off the ground. I had this Taurus Titanium Snubby in 44 Special on my hip so I walked over as close as I could get being as the tree was surrounded by cat claw and cactus and commenced to blasting. Knocked him right out. By time I was able to get him out of the scrum, I was bleeding worse than he. So I pick him up by the hind leg and carry him over and toss him on th back of the trailer my 4 wheeler was on. When I got to the next bump gate and passed through I stopped to make sure everything was in working order. I noticed that the porcupine had slid within a foot of the end of the trailer, so like a dumbazz I grabbed him by the tail.
Yowsir!

Anywho, should you ever grab a porcupine by the tail.......

Some say cut the quills as they are hollow and expand with pressure. Others say no. I had a pair of toenail clippers with which I cut the quills. I got them out, but it was not fun.

ya!

GWB

Here is the story!

I've been using the same taxidermist since the early 80's. He had probably done in excess of 40 mounts, most of which were done between 2000 and 2008. In fact I used to go by his shop once a week and bring him a six pack of Miller Beer and drop a $50.

Anywho, I had been at his shop, enjoying a brewski and a stogie when I spied a porcupine he had just finished. When I hunted in Rocksprings, Tx. there were porcupines all over, but at this particular time, and the lease I was on, I had only seen one porcupine in the last half dozen years. I mentioned that the next porcupine I saw, if I could take it, i would have him mount it.......

At this point a Sven & Ole joke comes to mind............ Sven had been out coon hunting. He managed to bag a couple. On the way home he warmed up with a couple of sips of schnapps and when he passed by Ole's Taxidermy shop he got an idea. He had numerous mounts but no coons. So he stops, grabs the two coons and goes in. He tells Ole that he would like him to stuff those two coons. So Ole replies, so ya' vant dem' coons mounted, eh'. Sven thinks a minute then replies, "No, Ole, I've got a Missus and kids at home, just have them holding hands!

So of all things, about two weeks after seeing that Porcupine at my bud's shop I was heading up to my lease. It's six miles in off the nearest paved road and it takes about 45 minutes to traverse the distance. I was past the first bump gate when I saw this Porky' crossing the road. I slowed down as he went into the brush. I was cussin' myself as I did not have a rifle or a shotgun at the ready. Well it wasn't but a few seconds later that the Porky climed up a scrub oak a few yards off the road. He stopped on a limb about 10' off the ground. I had this Taurus Titanium Snubby in 44 Special on my hip so I walked over as close as I could get being as the tree was surrounded by cat claw and cactus and commenced to blasting. Knocked him right out. By time I was able to get him out of the scrum, I was bleeding worse than he. So I pick him up by the hind leg and carry him over and toss him on th back of the trailer my 4 wheeler was on. When I got to the next bump gate and passed through I stopped to make sure everything was in working order. I noticed that the porcupine had slid within a foot of the end of the trailer, so like a dumbazz I grabbed him by the tail.
Yowsir!

Some say cut the quills as they are hollow and expand with pressure. Others say no. I had a pair of toenail clippers with which I cut the quills. I got them out, but it was not fun.

ya!

GWB

LMFAO. They were a target of opportunity where I grew up and a menace to the timber industry ruining many a maple and other quality trees. With the way they stunk and all the quills I never had a desire to do anything but leave them where they fell. The Indians use the quills for crafts but I never had any use for them.
A used one. There are so many of us older gun guys out there who bought or built up great rifles back in the day. The guns are as good and more valuable than ever, but their owners aren't.

Here is the story!

Yowsir!

ya!

GWB

This is the kind of content that truly makes this place worthwhile.
Originally Posted by Windfall
A used one. There are so many of us older gun guys out there who bought or built up great rifles back in the day. The guns are as good and more valuable than ever, but their owners aren't.

Yup. I’m playing around with a 1980-ish Remington 700 BDL in 270 that my uncle gave me. I know the 270 is not supposed to be an accurate cartridge but it shoots. I’ve watched my uncle knock over hundreds of deer with this rifle and I’m not exaggerating. He shot crop damage on a potato farm from the early 70’s to about 1996 this particular rifle was his second. 270 which replaced a 7 Rem Mag around 1980. He had it dialed in for 440 yards because that’s about as close he could get to the deer after awhile. Across a 40. Always shot 130 grain green box until my dad started loading him 130 grain Speer Hot Cor with a max charge of IMR 4350. He stopped counting at 700 head with this rifle well before he quite shooting crop damage. So far I’ve tore down the rifle and cleaned it thoroughly. I put some Talley medium mounts on it and kept a vintage Leupold 3X9 on it for nostalgia sake. The wood stock is getting refurbished with a hand rubbed oil finish and some little repair to the ebony fore end tip which got a little too warm when it was accidentally leaned on the hot wood stove. This boring setup has and will shoot as far as I care to engage game and with a good 130 load or a 150 partition load I’m set.
Originally Posted by Windfall

Yup, old S&W revolvers aren’t far behind.
© 24hourcampfire