Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He is, and he also has access to a lot of prime private land with very little hunting pressure.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the PNW if it ain’t an NXS, Kahles, Atacr or S&B with a carbon barrel your a lame ass hack.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Alpha scope glass is what you want if you are trying to see very small targets a long ways away. I've done comparisons between my Nightforce NXS's and SHV's vs. the much cheaper SWFA SS straight power 16x scopes. Not even a contest, even at 500 yards. Ill generally shoot a 2" target at that range and really have to squint and try to focus with the SWFA. Using the Nightforce scopes with MOAR reticle is like child's play. Even though the SWFA tracks equally as well as the NF scopes, the focus and resolution and clarity is no where near as good. That's where "alpha" glass prevails. Also the reason the lesser ones got sent down the road.

I am pretty happy if I can hit a 6" target at 500 yards 7 out of 10 from field positions other than prone with a really good rest. My lowly SWFA 3-9 allows me to see targets, holding steady on sticks or improvised positions at 500 yards limits me when shooting animals. 2" at 500 yards is out of the question. What position/rests helps you hit 2" targets at 500?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thanks for playing, but I think you missed the title of the thread.

“ How important is alpha scope glass for your hunts ?”

Not shooting targets from a bench.

Alpha scope glass is what you want if you are trying to see very small targets a long ways away. I've done comparisons between my Nightforce NXS's and SHV's vs. the much cheaper SWFA SS straight power 16x scopes. Not even a contest, even at 500 yards. Ill generally shoot a 2" target at that range and really have to squint and try to focus with the SWFA. Using the Nightforce scopes with MOAR reticle is like child's play. Even though the SWFA tracks equally as well as the NF scopes, the focus and resolution and clarity is no where near as good. That's where "alpha" glass prevails. Also the reason the lesser ones got sent down the road.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

Provided the scope is mechanically sound, ie, retains zero, tracks correctly, and returns to zero reliably, how could Alpha glass to top it off with be a disadvantage? That being said, if cost is a consideration, mechanical reliability is the priority. I haven’t bought what I consider to be a true Alpha glass yet. ZCO, Tangent Theta, or maybe Schmidt and Bender. If I had unlimited disposable income, would I? Absolutely. As it is, I go for the best glass I can get in a scope that has a track record for mechanical performance, at a price point I’m willing to pay.

John

Well said John. Seems like most that track reliably have pretty decent glass too.

From what I’ve seen, in mechanically reliable and durable scopes, it varies from very useable (SWFA) to breathtaking (Zero Compromise). Some day…

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anyone got an example on why running top shelf scope glass is an advantage?

Go

🦫

Provided the scope is mechanically sound, ie, retains zero, tracks correctly, and returns to zero reliably, how could Alpha glass to top it off with be a disadvantage? That being said, if cost is a consideration, mechanical reliability is the priority. I haven’t bought what I consider to be a true Alpha glass yet. ZCO, Tangent Theta, or maybe Schmidt and Bender. If I had unlimited disposable income, would I? Absolutely. As it is, I go for the best glass I can get in a scope that has a track record for mechanical performance, at a price point I’m willing to pay.

John

Well said John. Seems like most that track reliably have pretty decent glass too.

From what I’ve seen, in mechanically reliable and durable scopes, it varies from very useable (SWFA) to breathtaking (Zero Compromise). Some day…

John

Agreed, the plain old 3x9 SS Is tough to whoop for a lot more money to my eyes. If they were more available I’d hardly ever stray.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think highly of the 3-9 SS but I sure am in love with my Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi….

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me, alpha glass to locate, older Leopolds for the killing. Mostly 12x50ELs and VariX III 2.5x8.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think highly of the 3-9 SS but I sure am in love with my Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi….

John

I tried to get one of the 4.5x18’s LRSTi’s and after I ordered they said they were outta stock. Those were excellent hunting optics as well. Hoping the new Bushy is worth it’s salt.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
In the PNW if it ain’t an NXS, Kahles, Atacr or S&B with a carbon barrel your a lame ass hack.

Haha...Yep, yep.....What MA said ^

Laffin

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey Scotty,

I know you’re sandbagging to push this thread over the line.

😂👍🏼🦫

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey Scotty,

😂👍🏼🦫

Man….. I’ve wanted to get in the mix a few times but I have been trying to be fair…. It’s tough though grin

You can subtract my posts to keep it fair, but I think we’re on the downhill slide now.. the evening crew is about to hit.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Laffin

🦫

What about the flat brim?

(Just trying to get that downhill momentum 😁)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker

I am pretty happy if I can hit a 6" target at 500 yards 7 out of 10 from field positions other than prone with a really good rest. My lowly SWFA 3-9 allows me to see targets, holding steady on sticks or improvised positions at 500 yards limits me when shooting animals. 2" at 500 yards is out of the question. What position/rests helps you hit 2" targets at 500?

mike r

Bi-pod with a rear bag works just fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey Scotty,

😂👍🏼🦫

Man….. I’ve wanted to get in the mix a few times but I have been trying to be fair…. It’s tough though grin

You can subtract my posts to keep it fair, but I think we’re on the downhill slide now.. the evening crew is about to hit.

Start picking your favorite beverage...It just better not be Coors Light of some domestic brew you can get anywhere.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Laffin

🦫

What about the flat brim?

(Just trying to get that downhill momentum 😁)

I’m too old school for a brim that’s a diving board. Gotta cup and roll mine immediately.

Downhill crashes can be spectacular to watch...Hold steady, pard. Things could still get weird.

🦫

PS

I’m shocked how nice everyone has been towards one another, and on the optics forum, this could be a first.

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
GFY…

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Bi-pod with a rear bag works just fine.

Thanks, that is some good shooting.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
GFY…

Somnabitch...I probably deserved that.

😬🦫

“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Me and Mathman feel like we were just attacked.

It just better not be Coors Light of some domestic brew you can get anywhere.

🦫

Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 49 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,155
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.