Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
For the record, I don't claim my glass is "Alpha" glass. Looking back in time, I was a Leupold basher. I thought they were over rated and over priced. Now just over priced.
Yes, Beav, I dropped a "chalupa"!!! sick grin

Laffin

šŸ¦«

PS

I still like the Leupold the scopes on my varmint rifles.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
For the record, I don't claim my glass is "Alpha" glass. Looking back in time, I was a Leupold basher. I thought they were over rated and over priced. Now just over priced.

Laffin

šŸ¦«

PS

Their fixed 6x36 with dots are still a good one for me as well. But they are no more so Iā€™ll slum the handful Iā€™ve got. They work nice on normal stuff like the Whelen, 375 Improved, etc.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Looks like SLM sorted out a tactical advantage!

Heā€™s lower to the ground, makes a fella steadier and deadlier grin

Scotty, looks like we can wrap up this fairly clean and overly civil thread now.

This must be what it feels like to post on a heavily moderated hunting forum. Boring ! LOL

Congrats on winning a case of beer. Get me digits to send you the prize.

#AlphaGlass4TheWin

#NotReallyNeededInMostHuntingSituations

#Tinyā¤ļøCock-Snow

#SLMIsUndersized

šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Laffin

šŸ¦«

PS

Their fixed 6x36 with dots are still a good one for me as well. But they are no more so Iā€™ll slum the handful Iā€™ve got. They work nice on normal stuff like the Whelen, 375 Improved, etc.

Iā€™m always catching some older scopes on eBay.

I found myself having a mini-love affair with the discontinued Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x42. I was snapping them up for a few years off eBay.

You ever look there for older glass ?

šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by gunner500
It isn't, most hunting is done with iron/peep sights on Sharps rifles or old original Winchester lever rifles, my top glass rides on defense and target rifles.

Gunner, really ? Your alpha glass only sits on specific, non hunting rigs ?

Huh...I didnā€™t know that.

Well, thatā€™s cool.

Question, if you were going to hunt a scoped rifle, would you use tier 1 glass, or something else ? Being that you have shot behind and own solid optics.

šŸ¦«

Terrain, range and critter would dictate glass, lifetime Western Bull Elk hunt? big 338 firing 300gr Accubonds at 3000 fps, 2.5-10 NF would get that job, set and forget Leupolds and even an old steel tubed Weaver 4-12x40 AO get deer here with ease.

Jerry,

What were your African hunting rifles scoped with?

Ed, got 3 safaris easily done with the 1.5-5 leupold, they ride on 375 H&H, 400 Whelen and 400 H&H, got the rest done with full buckhorn barrel sights on '74 Sharps rifles and Express sights on 577 double rifle, all animals were dead with one shot, PH's requested some insurance shots on the dangerous animals as we walked up, i'm plenty okay with that too.

Alpha to me means clear [descent] glass with absolute certainty on tracking, a nice bull elk out west from 500 yards on out where twisting turrets is the reason i'd use Nightforce.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Wish to hell i knew how to transplant a post to another thread, down in the BPCR forum under the Eulogy thread on page 3 is a couple videos our buddy Pacecars put up, it'll show why shooting long range iron sights makes even a 1.5-5X leupold seem like hubble telescope magnification.

Firing an 1869 built 45 2-7/8ths Sharps rifle with 514gr paper patch bullet at 1269 fps at a three foot square gong with 12 inch black bull in a 12-15 mph full value wind at 700 yards is some kinda fun, i held near 8 feet into that big East wind firing dew North, bullet struck a foot high and a foot right of bullseye, that's still a dead buffalo [bison] on the great plains of yesteryear. smile

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Laffin

šŸ¦«

PS

Iā€™m always catching some older scopes on eBay.

I found myself having a mini-love affair with the discontinued Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16x42. I was snapping them up for a few years off eBay.

You ever look there for older glass ?

šŸ¦«

I sure do. Iā€™ll always snap up those older Leupoldā€™s if I have a fit for one or think itā€™s a decent price. The old M8ā€™s are good once you friction twist them into submission.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like SLM sorted out a tactical advantage!

Heā€™s lower to the ground, makes a fella steadier and deadlier grin

Scotty, looks like we can wrap up this fairly clean and overly civil thread now.

This must be what it feels like to post on a heavily moderated hunting forum. Boring ! LOL

Congrats on winning a case of beer. Get me digits to send you the prize.

#AlphaGlass4TheWin

#NotReallyNeededInMostHuntingSituations

#Tinyā¤ļøCock-Snow

#SLMIsUndersized

šŸ¦«

Will do.. pretty danged interesting. If Iā€™d bet on the content I wouldā€™ve lost for sure.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Jason,
In coastal timber for elk, Iā€™m using either open sights on a lever gun or a lightweight Browning BAR MK3 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 scope. Both, to me, have advantages. Running shots on bulls in dense timber, I prefer open sights and shooting with both eyes open.

If weā€™re heading into timber with pockets of small clearings/wallows and meadows, I like my scoped BAR. The 2.5-8x36 is a pretty decent timber optic at reasonable yardage inside a canopy of Doug Fir.

As you stated, itā€™s unrealistic to claim one size fits all the types of hunting environments for optics, rifle chamberings, or even boots...With that said, my personal experience, especially hunting elk on pub-land on the Coast, is optics rule, both in scouting with long glass, scanning the hunting ground with bins, or in a scope.

I always have to assume, other hunters have done the same leg work Iā€™ve done, to scout up bulls before opening day. Because of the competition, and the inherent seriousness found in people during bull hunting, any advantage, is a good thing.

In contrast, me sitting over a shooting bag for 10 hours shooting ground squirrels or p-dogs - my scope optics are not the same quality as my big fur rifles. Theyā€™re good, helpful, and easy on the eyes for extended lengths of shooting. But the glass isnā€™t tier 1 stuff. For me, itā€™s perfect for that type of hunting Iā€™m doing.

I believe that since Iā€™ve been on both the unlucky end of having game shot out from me, and also the winning side of taking animals before others had the opportunity, mostly due to optics. I would encourage anyone who hunts public land with OTC tags to consider what I have found helpful by upgrading to a solid performing scope with glass good enough that a person can transition from the bins to their scope in low light and watch heads until you can hit the go button.

šŸ¦«

PS

I hunt the Wilson Unit exclusively for elk the past 43 years....Damn, Iā€™m getting old !

Small world! I've been hunting the Wilson, Trask and Saddle Mountain units for awhile now. But mostly rifle blacktail, and archery elk. If you're getting it done in the Wilson for elk, year after year, my hat's off to you. I mean it.

I've only done one rifle elk hunt in the Wilson, just a few years ago. And I think it would make a good reality TV show grin Circus would be an understatement! You're not just dealing with the animals, but hoards of people. Groups driving elk like deer, and shooters at each vantage point. I'm used to seeing trucks at gates, and running into other hunters in the field, but that elk hunt is more like a sports competition with animals involved.

The last 10 years, the unit has exploded with hunters. There was a time when the Coast bull hunt was a plan B for dudes that didnā€™t draw an Eastside hunt.

They would typically roll in Friday night and pray for an elk sighting over the next 4 days...Over time, these hunters started learning from coming back and talking to other non-local hunters about the areas and how our elk move.

Today, if youā€™re trying to hunt by truck on logging roads, youā€™re going to have crowds where the elk herds are easily seen.

Last season, we were down two hunters. I elected to puss out and go to a few honey holes by truck where I had put eyes on bulls.

Didnā€™t matter that we arrived at 3:30AM opening day, hunters were already there sleeping in rigs where we needed to head in before light...They ended up missing a decent 4 point, I had hoped weā€™d hunt up.

Day 3, I got on a small spike. I passed on him, but hailed my pard on the radio to come to my spot to get take the shot if he wanted...By the time heā€™d made his way to me the spike and cow moved into a deep ravine. We had a big storm crushing us, neither of us wanted to dive into the steep timber with 60 mph wind gusts hammering into trees.

Last season brought back the bad memories of too many hunters running amuck in drivable areas. Iā€™m going back to the hike in behind locked gates, no vehicles hunting. That 2, 3, and 4 mile up hill trek cuts the hunting pressure by 90 plus %.

šŸ¦«

Exactly the reasons I stopped hunting the coast a very long time ago. The competition for hunting spots was off the charts and most of the "hunters" I ran into were first class a-holes.... besides the fact I got really tired of being wet 90% of the time I was hunting.... bear, elk, and deer hunting is the best excuse I can come up with to get over to the East side to spend some time... I love the country over there and would have moved over there a long time ago if I could have found sufficient work and my wife wasn't so enamored of being around people....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 07/20/21.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
Around here it's 30 minutes before or after sunrise/ sunset. Even if you're in a tree stand in a more open area and Deer Run just inside the tree line it can get real dark during legal light. Most of my larger game hunting glass is Zeiss Conquest and Meopta /Cableas instinct.

Same here. They get me to the end of legal shooting light and then some. They are at the sweet spot for hunting performance and price in my opinion.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I got by with a Weaver K-4 for over 20 years so I guess I really don't need alpha glass, but my hunting is in the west where it is not dark and dismal and I don't take shots over 300 yards so I don't twist knobs either. Although I did step up to a K-6 for a couple of years before taking the big leap to a 3-9 Bushnell Trophy - does that count as alpha glass?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I remember getting my first Redfield after using Tascos for years. I thought it was Alpha glass at the time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good binoculars and a spotter is a must in the western states.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
I got by with a Weaver K-4 for over 20 years so I guess I really don't need alpha glass, but my hunting is in the west where it is not dark and dismal and I don't take shots over 300 yards so I don't twist knobs either. Although I did step up to a K-6 for a couple of years before taking the big leap to a 3-9 Bushnell Trophy - does that count as alpha glass?

drover

drover, letā€™s put your 3-9 Bushnell Trophy to the alpha test and see if it meets the criteria.

#1. Did it cost you north of $1900 bucks ? Iā€™m gonna say...NO

#2. Have you seen any hunting videos with a young, flat brimmed hat wearing dude, with his hair knotted into a bun on his head using your scope ?...Iā€™m gonna say....NO

#3 When you bought the Bushy, did you try to hide the purchase from your significant other ?....Going out on a limb here, and gonna say...NO

The last question and most important...Did you look at yourself in your mirror while holding your rifle that you mounted the Trophy on and wink at yourself, saying, ā€œHell, yeah, I look goodā€ ? This is a tough question to answer for me, but Iā€™m gonna say...Yes, yes, you absolutely did.

3....Noā€™s to 1...Yes. = Definitely not alpha glass.

Iā€™m sorry. Youā€™re a loser !

Grins

šŸ¦«

PS

Iā€™m bet you still fill your freezer.

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove

Plus 1

šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I go back and forth concerning a spotter, unless we're talking about needing to call out legal animals with very specific criteria such as age classes of rams, full curls, point restrictions, etc.

I am not a numbers guy though and usually need just a cursory look at a critter before deciding to go for it or not. I have never once tried to mentally count inches and total an animal's score before deciding if I would be happy with him or not.

I carry a spotter a lot, but honestly can't ever remember thinking it was a necessity. Maybe it is just me, though it has told me whether a herd had a bull/buck in it or not, from afar.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by drover

drover

drover, letā€™s put your 3-9 Bushnell Trophy to the alpha test and see if it meets the criteria.

#1. Did it cost you north of $1900 bucks ? Iā€™m gonna say...NO

#2. Have you seen any hunting videos with a young, flat brimmed hat wearing dude, with his hair knotted into a bun on his head using your scope ?...Iā€™m gonna say....NO

#3 When you bought the Bushy, did you try to hide the purchase from your significant other ?....Going out on a limb here, and gonna say...NO

The last question and most important...Did you look at yourself in your mirror while holding your rifle that you mounted the Trophy on and wink at yourself, saying, ā€œHell, yeah, I look goodā€ ? This is a tough question to answer for me, but Iā€™m gonna say...Yes, yes, you absolutely did.

3....Noā€™s to 1...Yes. = Definitely not alpha glass.

Iā€™m sorry. Youā€™re a loser !

Grins

šŸ¦«

PS

Iā€™m bet you still fill your freezer.

I look like chit no matter what scope i buy.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I go back and forth concerning a spotter, unless we're talking about needing to call out legal animals with very specific criteria such as age classes of rams, full curls, point restrictions, etc.

I am not a numbers guy though and usually need just a cursory look at a critter before deciding to go for it or not. I have never once tried to mentally count inches and total an animal's score before deciding if I would be happy with him or not.

I carry a spotter a lot, but honestly can't ever remember thinking it was a necessity. Maybe it is just me, though it has told me whether a herd had a bull/buck in it or not, from afar.

I usually only take my spotting scope when Iā€™m scouting. Iā€™m a smidge terrified of breaking it while hunting. The abuse I can put my pack through, leans towards sadistic.

Spotter inside my pack, horns out front of me...Yeah, Iā€™m not gonna take the time to pull it out before Iā€™m jamming my pack down onto something to shoot from it.

šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I like my Leica geovid HDs and I have a VX 5 Leupold that tracks pretty good does that count?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I usually only take my spotting scope when Iā€™m scouting. Iā€™m a smidge terrified of breaking it while hunting. The abuse I can put my pack through, leans towards sadistic.

Spotter inside my pack, horns out front of me...Yeah, Iā€™m not gonna take the time to pull it out before Iā€™m jamming my pack down onto something to shoot from it.

šŸ¦«

Normally my binoculars are all I need but sometimes a spotter comes in handy. Sitting up on the top of peaks the binos just might not be enough to see whatā€™s on the next oneā€¦ Saves me a lot of walking.

Page 13 of 23 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.