Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 57 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 56 57
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
We have some Leupold love taking shape on the alpha glass thread, if anyone is butthurt on this thread.

LOL

🦫

lolololol

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by JoeBob
[
Of course to be a "shooter" requires that you shoot. What matters is proficiency, and while there may be the odd prodigy that is naturally an amazing shooter with very little practice, like most things in life, proficiency is linearly (or perhaps logarithmically) correlated with practice and spent primers.

It's not that you have to use the right equipment to be a "shooter", it's that being a shooter usually steers a person away from equipment that doesn't work as well as other options.

Am I less of a shooter because I chose for a few years to regularly shoot a couple hundred rounds a session of 45-70 and 30-30 with regular old ghost ring receiver sights at ranges up to 300 yards instead of using the best scope, or any scope at all? No real reason to do it except for fun. Obviously I was handicapping myself and I doubt I would have shot a deer with that setup at that range no matter how proficient I was. But I enjoyed it.

Was the old man I mentioned earlier who could shoot quail on the rise with a .22 but who would have been lost with dials and knobs less of a shooter?

Equipment has very little to do with anything. I bow hunt with a longbow. After a few years of that, using a rifle of any sort almost feels like cheating. I almost feel guilty shooting a deer with a gun. The only reason I do is because I like guns and I need an excuse for them in my own mind. The guy with the longbow is not any less or more of an archer than the guy with a $3k compound. He just chooses to concentrate on different interests.

For me, as a rifleman I choose to concentrate on shooting very quickly from the end of my muzzle to three or four hundred yards in field positions. I use moderate magnification and I’m not trying to see and hit a tick on a deer’s shoulder. If a scope is good enough to do that, then that is good enough. I value eye relief, field of view, weight, and a few other things over things that long range shooters might value.

In terms of what it means to be a shooter, I didn't mention anything about a scope requirement.

You mentioned equipment that “doesn’t work as well as other options” and shooters steering away from it.

Yes, and that could apply to scopes, iron sights, rifles, bows, etc.

Pretend a certain model of muzzleloader is designed so poorly that it misfires every tenth shot. Two guys own that model of muzzleloader, one who only shoots at deer (2 shots per year), and the other guy shoots his frequently in practice. Which guy do you think will be first to replace his ML with something else that actually works properly, and which guy will be bragging about his faulty muzzleloader on the Internet until the 5th year, when it finally misfires and he gets mad at it?

That doesn't quite do Leupold Hate justice. We need to devise drop tests to induce the failure we are "certain" is coming. Legions of people need to exaggerate their claims of problems they had with that brand of muzzleloader. Some will outright fabricate stories. Any time anyone uses that muzzleloader successfully, people need to stand in a long line to run them down. People need to buy the that muzzleloader's competition so they can show the world they have joined the cult.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
[
Of course to be a "shooter" requires that you shoot. What matters is proficiency, and while there may be the odd prodigy that is naturally an amazing shooter with very little practice, like most things in life, proficiency is linearly (or perhaps logarithmically) correlated with practice and spent primers.

It's not that you have to use the right equipment to be a "shooter", it's that being a shooter usually steers a person away from equipment that doesn't work as well as other options.

Am I less of a shooter because I chose for a few years to regularly shoot a couple hundred rounds a session of 45-70 and 30-30 with regular old ghost ring receiver sights at ranges up to 300 yards instead of using the best scope, or any scope at all? No real reason to do it except for fun. Obviously I was handicapping myself and I doubt I would have shot a deer with that setup at that range no matter how proficient I was. But I enjoyed it.

Was the old man I mentioned earlier who could shoot quail on the rise with a .22 but who would have been lost with dials and knobs less of a shooter?

Equipment has very little to do with anything. I bow hunt with a longbow. After a few years of that, using a rifle of any sort almost feels like cheating. I almost feel guilty shooting a deer with a gun. The only reason I do is because I like guns and I need an excuse for them in my own mind. The guy with the longbow is not any less or more of an archer than the guy with a $3k compound. He just chooses to concentrate on different interests.

For me, as a rifleman I choose to concentrate on shooting very quickly from the end of my muzzle to three or four hundred yards in field positions. I use moderate magnification and I’m not trying to see and hit a tick on a deer’s shoulder. If a scope is good enough to do that, then that is good enough. I value eye relief, field of view, weight, and a few other things over things that long range shooters might value.

In terms of what it means to be a shooter, I didn't mention anything about a scope requirement.

You mentioned equipment that “doesn’t work as well as other options” and shooters steering away from it.

Yes, and that could apply to scopes, iron sights, rifles, bows, etc.

Pretend a certain model of muzzleloader is designed so poorly that it misfires every tenth shot. Two guys own that model of muzzleloader, one who only shoots at deer (2 shots per year), and the other guy shoots his frequently in practice. Which guy do you think will be first to replace his ML with something else that actually works properly, and which guy will be bragging about his faulty muzzleloader on the Internet until the 5th year, when it finally misfires and he gets mad at it?

That doesn't quite do Leupold Hate justice. We need to devise drop tests to induce the failure we are "certain" is coming. Legions of people need to exaggerate their claims of problems they had with that brand of muzzleloader. Some will outright fabricate stories. Any time anyone uses that muzzleloader successfully, people need to stand in a long line to run them down. People need to buy the that muzzleloader's competition so they can show the world they have joined the cult.

You are special, you claim to have never had a cheap Leupold fail and yet you admit they do not adjust correctly when sighting in.
LMAO not adjusting correctly is a failure

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Didn’t someone post that SWFA scopes are rebadged Tasco and Bushnell stuff?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WAM

SWFA originally bought out an overrun of Tasco Suoper Snipers which became their SWFA SS line.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Willto
Originally Posted by WAM

SWFA originally bought out an overrun of Tasco Suoper Snipers which became their SWFA SS line.
I think it was originally the Tasco Titan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by WAM

You're probably right. I'm just going by memory which at my age is unreliable. LOL!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Am always amused when people say something like "rebadged Tasco and Bushnell stuff." Neither Tasco or Bushnell ever manufactured a rifle scope.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by WAM

The Tasco Titan came in 3-9 and 3-12. If there were more I don't remember. The 3-9 was FFP and a very nice scope, sold it many years ago wish I hadn't. The 3-12 I still have, 30mm tube and 52mm objective. It has very good glass and is an excellent scope. Titans (something inside was Titanium) didn't sell very well. Tasco was associated with cheaper scopes (although some were pretty good) and people wouldn't pay more for something with that name.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The funny part is the people who no longer use Leupold normally don’t have anything bad to say. The Leupold fans argue on the Internet and start threads like this.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Kaleb
The funny part is the people who no longer use Leupold normally don’t have anything bad to say. The Leupold fans argue on the Internet and start threads like this.

They are like homosexuals. They know they’re wrong and need to convince you as to convince themselves. 🤭

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Am always amused when people say something like "rebadged Tasco and Bushnell stuff." Neither Tasco or Bushnell ever manufactured a rifle scope.

Happy to provide some amusement!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DingoDuk

They are like homosexuals. They know they’re wrong and need to convince you as to convince themselves. 🤭

You left your prime spot blowing people behind a trash dumpster in a KFC parking lot just to come here and try to spread the gay to a thread about scopes? Run along skippy before some crack head steals your spot.

Last edited by Willto; 07/21/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You left your prime spot blowing people behind a trash dumpster in a KFC parking lot just to come here and try to spread the gay to a thread about scopes? Run along skippy before some crack head steals your spot.

LHC members will go to great lengths to witness to the masses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, the irony always gives me a chuckle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For the record I own exactly one Leupold and it has performed flawlessly. I do not dial. It sits atop my Kimber Montana in 280ai.

Again I will ask. If Leupold sucks as bad as some of you say then why do they sell like hot cakes in the classifieds? Not just campfire classifieds but all classifieds.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Springcove
For the record I own exactly one Leupold and it has performed flawlessly. I do not dial. It sits atop my Kimber Montana in 280ai.

Again I will ask. If Leupold sucks as bad as some of you say then why do they sell like hot cakes in the classifieds? Not just campfire classifieds but all classifieds.

If they work so great why are so many for sale?
Did it adjust correctly when sighting in?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Springcove

If they work so great why are so many for sale?
Did it adjust correctly when sighting in?

Can’t answer why so many are for sale as they were not mine. As far as the scope I have on my Kimber the answer is yes it did. I may be one of the lucky ones.

By the way a lot of the scopes that sale are new in the box.

Last edited by Springcove; 07/21/21.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Ouch, You must be on the Leupold team. LOL.
PS sorry I struck a nerve! Your tinder feelings and heart vested product loyalty were the last of my concerns, but you matter so keep the chin up.

Page 36 of 57 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.