Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MrClean
I see comments like Walmart destroyed the good ol' mom & pops,...,.,. DG.... etc

But in actuality, it wasn't them.... it was us SHOPPING at them. If everyone had kept shopping there then they'd still be around. There's a locally owned / run store out by me that I go to first. If they don't have it or can't get it by when I need it I'll go elsewhere. They aren't a 'grocery' store although they have quite a bit. I give em a chance.

Farmers Market fairly close as well. And meat/butcher shops as well.
I get very little from Kroger and the such.

Same w/ fuel, there's a locally owned non-franchise that I give my business to most of the time. Not always the cheapest but close enough for me. Locally owned hardware store around too (actually my son-in-law's dad that owns it). I hit him up before Lowes/Home Depot. But most won't do it.... most want sheer price and convenience. And then they bitch about China, Corporations, etc. Meh.

Same with Gun Shops. Had my FFL for over 30 years and turned it all in last year. Keep buying from Buds and other places..... Shops will close. Then when there are only 20 or so 'outlets' for guns.... how easy is THAT to take care of. Sorry, my conspiracy theory self kicked in. smile

I'll shop when I can with my local shops. Then if I HAVE to have it right THEN.... I'll hit wally world. But mostly use DG for sundries not at local shop.

I count all these locally owned places as blessings for me. Lotta folks don't have those options anymore. What a sad time

I like Vans. Bought a good bit over the years. He’s good a big reloading selection. Couple months ago he got in cases of h1000 and h4350.

The new place, 2gun tactical is geared more for the yuppie crowd, IMO. Prices high as giraffe puzzie.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I think DG has a lot to due with the manager.

Some are spotless. Some look like a cyclone just went thru. Stuff in the floors.

The nearest DG in town is HORRIBLE. Always a wreck. Always empty shelves. Always with new stock in boxes in the aisles where you can't get around (and sitting there with no one putting it up). Been that way for years. Most of the others around here are quite nice. One, though, has had problems not even being able to stay open because they can't get anyone to work there.

The one here is like that but it's only been for about 6 months that it has been this bad. The one guy that worked his tail off there had enough and quit. His hard work and dedication really shows now.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have one of the DG Market stores here, has produce, non frozen meats etc with decent prices.
It's located in a former[very old] Kroger location that K kept the lease on for 10 years after leaving.

It is only five stop lights away which is 1/2 as many as to the newer Kroger or Food Lion, 1/4 as many as to ChinaMart.

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

As to shopping with locally owned "mom & pop" businesses first, back in the day we always used to, but after original owners either died or retired and sold to new owners, or, handed down to younger family, the quality of service and products has gone drastically down hill but their prices have gone up. So much so that most have had to eventually shut their doors due solely to their own faults.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
Their Clover Valley store brand stuff is usually pretty decent, about on the level of the generic store brand stuff from groceries. But their block cheddar cheese sucks. Kroger or Walmart store brand cheese is better.

*hiccup* *cough* (its the same) *hiccup* *cough*

IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.