Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw BobBrown do that one time, but instead of a beaker he used Flave's åss.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kingston
I saw BobBrown do that one time, but instead of a beaker he used Flave's åss.

^^^^^^^^^^
Kid fugker

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Notice he throws the end of the chain downwards to start the motion. This imparts a force that produces momentum in the chain when, coupled with gravity pushing it down, is enough to overcome the force of gravity holding a small amount of chain lying atop the pile, yanking it up and out of the beaker.

In order for this to work, the beaker will have to be a certain height off the floor to allow enough mass in motion, you have to impart a certain amount of force to get things going, and the chain material needs to be of a certain density and stiffness.

Nothing magical about it, physics professors have been doing this for centuries to explain momentum and force.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by persiandog

I'm going to say that the explanation is connected to momentum. The falling portion of the chain is accelerating, and this naturally pulls the rest of the chain in the only direction it can go to follow, which is up. What keeps it from just going up enough to clear the lid is momentum, which pushes it further in the same direction it was traveling, which is up, before it's pulled down again. So there are forces going in two directions: one up (momentum) and one down, the latter being due to attachment to the chain links that are falling due to gravity. Momentum defeats gravity for a short distance, before it's defeated by the counter pull of the rest of the chain, to which it is attached, which has succumbed to the force of gravity.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Notice he throws the end of the chain downwards to start the motion. This imparts a force that produces momentum in the chain when, coupled with gravity pushing it down, is enough to overcome the force of gravity holding a small amount of chain lying atop the pile, yanking it up and out of the beaker.

In order for this to work, the beaker will have to be a certain height off the floor to allow enough mass in motion, you have to impart a certain amount of force to get things going, and the chain material needs to be of a certain density and stiffness.

Nothing magical about it, physics professors have been doing this for centuries to explain momentum and force.

not true , if chain is pulled horizontally the same thing happens.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
it's like when you put a chain on a bench, if there is ONE link hanging over the side, it will pull the whole damn thing onto the floor.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

not true , if chain is pulled horizontally the same thing happens.

Momentum is momentum, if he imparts force to it horizontally, he will actually need less initial force than throwing it downwards, because he will have more chain extended out (therefore more mass) before arcing down.

Simple physics. I first saw this demonstrated by my high school physics teacher in 1985.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

horizontal chain fountain(no sound)

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Like i said, the chain has to be a certain density AND STIFFNESS. Try it with a sisal rope, it won't work.

It's no different than throwing a ball into the air. You impart enough force to overcome gravity. The momentum of the moving mass of chain imparts enough force to over come gravity (for a bit).

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
Like i said, the chain has to be a certain density AND STIFFNESS. Try it with a sisal rope, it won't work.

It's no different than throwing a ball into the air. You impart enough force to overcome gravity. The momentum of the moving mass of chain imparts enough force to over come gravity (for a bit).

2 scientists in 2014 tried to explain it and is still open to debate !!

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspa.2013.0689

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Well, that demonstrates that there's more going on than I accounted for in my model. There must be some other explanation as to why it's being drivin in a direction perpendicular to the support surface, i.e., opposite of the force of gravitation.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Well, that demonstrates that there's more going on than I accounted for in my model. There must be some other explanation as to why it's being drivin in a direction perpendicular to the support surface, i.e., opposite of the force of gravitation.

effect of gravity can be eliminated , if one end of chain is pulled from right to left and same thing is observed on the table.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cause and effect.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The principle has other applications, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
definitely momentum it is the length of the little rods and the light weight of the balls..
interestingly at the center of mass of hose little balls there is no physical mass..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as the center of gravity of the length of beads outside the jar is below the surface of the remaining string inside the jar, the gravitational force down on the length outside the jar will be greater than the gravitational potential to overcome lifting the string from inside the jar.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
As long as the center of gravity of the length of beads outside the jar is below the surface of the remaining string inside the jar, the gravitational force down on the length outside the jar will be greater than the gravitational potential to overcome lifting the string from inside the jar.

why does it lift?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

why does it lift?

There’s a certain amount of torque that’s being applied to the dangling section coming from the jar as each bead rounds that turn. Think of each bead section as a tiny fulcrum and as it rounds that turn it’s yanking on the section coming up from the jar. As the length dropping gets longer, the downward gravitational force gets larger and that torque increases causing an upward “whipping effect “.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.