Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Considrr volunteering. I joined the local fir company at 59 years old. Never been busier

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are going to find out, that you have less time than before you retired!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by andrews1958
My last day working is August 6th . I am calling it quits at 63 years old. After traveling around the world for 40 plus years with my job, my wife and I are heading back to our homes in Maine to live out the rest of our lives. We are very excited but a bit nervous. I have heard about people dying right after they retire along with boredom.

have a safe full of guns that I have never shot after years and years of collecting and a man cave full of outdoor gear that has also never been used. Any thoughts on your health once you retired. Boredom?

Well IF you get BORED, your Welcome to come WORK ON MY FARMS !

Dirty Harry

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Enjoy your new adventure, every minute of it.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
First thing don't tell anyone else you are retiring they will find things for you to do . Just kidding you and your family enjoy your self. Shoot those guns I retired 6 years ago and time passes fast . Best of luck

Barry
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I retired at 58 also in Maine there are plenty of things to do that will keep you busy year round from fly fishing, hiking ,hunting,target shooting trap or skeet by the way I’m 72 now. Good Luck! Enjoy retirement

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
First thing I realized after retiring- - I should have done this 2-3 years ago
2nd thing- I had a hard time slowing down. I was too used to doing everything on a short schedule. I finally realized every day is Saturday and if I don’t get it done today I’ll do it tomorrow — if I want to
3rd thing - man hunting elk and antelope is addictive. Wish I could have started that when I was 25 or so.
4. I’m busier than ever. Up earlier and to bed later and can’t wait for tomorrow to get more of the “ to do list “ done
It’s what you make of it. Hope for good health and stay in shape.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I retired at 63 last September and I honestly don't know how I ever had time to work. Believe me you'll find plenty to do.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bear hunting in Maine will get your blood pumping.
Congratulations on your well deserved finger to the man!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am not where you are on my journey. Still working and raising kids. But I’m excited for you.

Whatever the stage or setting Proverbs 3:5-10 speaks truth.

God bless you, Sir!!! I pray you have an awesome retirement!

IC B3

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple things you will notice: You will have the pick of parking places while shopping during the week. Also much shorter lines at the checkout. Getting appointments will be much easier. You will stay home on weekends (too busy, too crowded)

Volunteering is indeed a good idea. I drove a golf cart in the parking lots at the local VA Hospital giving Vets rides to/from their cars. Now I walk dogs at the local animal shelter.

And your hobbies and projects will keep you plenty busy. And still have time for naps!

Been retired for five years and when I retired I closed that chapter of my life and don't look back.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Stay active. Projects around the house, hunting, shooting, etc

Good advice but WStrayer forgot to include fishing. grin

Good luck!!

BTW where at in Maine?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
after a year or so, you'll be further behind than you ever were and will have a thousand unfinished projects. Enjoy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Next August for me at age 64

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Retired here too, early 60's now. I'm not going back to work reporting to anybody full time unless the price of rice and beans go extremely high.

Enjoy it,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats! Wish I was in your shoes.

I know for sure that I will never be bored! I’m tired of wasting time working.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in Boothbay. Come have a lobster roll.

The way life should be.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I retired in April at 61, never been happier. I stay busy I have three acres to mow and maintain, my house, garage and a couple sheds all need some work. Driveway needs sealed, several trees need cut down and turned into firewood. I have amassed tons of components to reload 18 different caliber of ammo.I have many guns that I need to dial in the scopes and shoot.Most of them I bought and test fired and threw in the safe due to lack of time (ie working). I frequent gun shows where I setup and sell guns as well as refurbish old neglected guns that I buy. I want to get back into camping as soon as I find the right camper to buy, I have the 7.3 Diesel truck to pull one already.

And yes coming and going when you want to, no alarm clock, taking a nap in the afternoon are all perks of retirement. I found a small adjustment period,just because it is so foreign to those of us that have worked our lives away. I felt a little lost, like I had no purpose in life anymore, that quickly passed. I figure once a lot of my projects are completed if I am board I might possibly get a part time job. Lowes offers a 5am to 9am three day a week gig, Ha, after working 50 to 60 hrs a week all my life I think I could handle 12 hrs a week for fun and a little extra gun money.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I decided to retire at 44, and haven’t experienced a second of boredom since then.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
September 23rd I’m done...Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading and working on the ranch is my new occupation.

And....Drinking beer at 7AM because I can.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.