Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Itppowell: Duly noted.

WMR: In Dad's case it could easily solved by hearing aids, but he refuses

My Dad was much the same. Refused hearing aids and Alzheimer’s onset.
I’m the oldest, so I was the one that had to deal with it.
It sucked for Mom and everyone in the Family. Sorry your having to deal with this. Prayers sent for you and yours.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/25/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

There is no "easy" solution. It's just hard. It will probably get harder,but I promise you that it won't last forever and you will never regret the hardships when they are gone.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’m sorry to hear you’re having to go through this. It’s hard to see our aged parents going downhill; especially when they won’t do anything about it. I’m in a similar situation with mine. Mom has early symptoms of dementia and dad has health issues that he won’t take care of like he should. We’ve had some success with dad getting him to the doc appointments and his temperament has improved as he feels better. He still gets frustrated with Mom (and me) though. I can only suggest to get your siblings together and express your love for him and your mom and share your concerns with them. Add to that some ideas how to help him/them and try and do it in such a way that it’s his idea.

Good luck. This isn’t a fun thing to have to go through.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Record his ranting and play it for a headshrinker. If he has an idea about what’s going on then have him work with the doctor to treat him. It could be a form of dementia or depression, but the doc can figure it out.

I would help my mom go on a vacation with relatives or friends for a while, You should have someone else stay with him while she is gone.

Also, make sure your father doesn’t have access to firearms.

[Linked Image from ]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ConradCA: Good advice on firearms. He's been after me for the past 2 years or so to bring him a pistol. I did bring him one during my current visit (I'm headed back to W. TX tomorrow in the AM) and I already decided not to leave the pistol with him. Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

My Dad refused hearing aids for 10+ years. Got pissed every time we brought it up. Then he went to visit his brother and tried his on. Still said he didn't need them for a year or so but I could tell he was thinking about it. Then one day he had me call and get it setup at the VA and now he won't be without them.

The only downfall is that now he can hear Mom muttering behind his back whenever he pisses her off over something trivial!

lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I went through something similar with dad before he died! The only one who he showed respect for was his older brother! After Curly would leave he leveled out for awhile! Around the rest he was an ass! I talked to my uncle and ask him, why he thought dad always treated him different! He said after WW2 , three years in the south pacific, dad was always different! I believe he had what today they call, PTSD! Curly always brought dad a treat, turned out Curly was feeding him thc cookies,cake and goodies! When I confronted him about the treats. Curly said he gave them to him, and never told dad what was in them! Because he wanted his younger brother to have a happy life! I'm not suggesting you give him cookies, but you might talk to your mom, about anything that might be a trigger for his actions. Something from years ago might be his problem, and has gone undiagnosed for years! I'm sorry for your dads problems, and hope your family gets a grip on thee situation!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seafire, I turned my daughter-in-law on to your post. She is an RN, with an advanced degree, her specialty is patient advocacy and care planning when a person is released from the hospital. Her job puts her in frequent conflict with the family, but her responsibility is with the patient. She was blown away by your insight of the situation High Noon's dad is going through. She says you nailed it. He is clearly in the well documented triangle of fear, frustration and anger at his situation. She asked if you had medical training, of course I didn't know, but I told her you were one helluva handloader. Anyway, in one professional's opinion, you got a career in healthcare if you ever wanted it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, afisher, 6 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.