Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dr Bartlett at Free America Health and freedom Ralley

https://youtu.be/MhyQ1aVsSvQ

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by OldHat

These numbers do not tell us much about the efficacy of the vaccine given the fact that there are so many possible confounding variables in the sample populations. For example, maybe exposure and transmission factors were different in the vaccinated population. What were the vaccination rates while the mortality numbers were collected. In other words how many people were vaccinated during Feb, March, etc ... of those.

Oldhat, if I squint hard enough I can sort of see that you're almost making a good point here, and I'll help you with that. But first let's make sure we know what we mean by efficacy.

"Efficacy is the degree to which a vaccine prevents disease, and possibly also transmission, under ideal and controlled circumstances – comparing a vaccinated group with a placebo group. Effectiveness meanwhile refers to how well it performs in the real world." ... from a simple Google search for the difference between the two terms. (For those who disparage Google, you can find the same definitions in an epidemiology textbook, if you prefer, but it'll take you longer to find it.)

So what you're actually asking about is the effectiveness, not the efficacy. The efficacy is defined in trials, and is a more theoretical concept. The effectiveness is derived from actual use data, which is almost always a lower number than the efficacy. So in a hypothetical example, vaccine developers can say that a vaccine has an efficacy of 95%, but in the real world under real use conditions (which is affected by all manner of variables like exposure rate, compliance with the vaccine schedule, etc, as you point out) the vaccine's effectiveness will almost always be lower than the efficacy.

As an example, you can look at the earlier shingles vaccine, which came out about 8-10 years ago, which had an efficacy of 90+% in trials, but in actual use had an effectiveness of less than 50%.

In this case we don't actually have enough data to get a true number for the CoV2 vaccines' effectiveness, because it's still early in the study process. We'll have a pretty good number by early 2022, I expect. But these Texas numbers, which btw line up with similar data from all other states in the CONUS that I'm aware of, are HIGHER than the "theoretical" efficacy of 95%.

This is not something you can quibble about. This is not something you can say is confounded by a bunch of other factors. The success is unquestionable by any measure you can name. Using the word maybe, as you have done, is much like saying, "let's pretend...". It's a dodge, no more and no less.

"Maybe something is messing with those numbers, so I'm not going to give them any credence." This is the sort of thing that people say when they have decided they are not going to accept a set of facts that contradict what they are determined to believe no matter what.

Now: is the actual effectiveness of the CoV2 vaccines going to come in at 99.995%, as these raw Texas numbers seem to say? Almost certainly not. But it's pretty much clear that it's going to come in somewhere in the ballpark of the initial efficacy percentage from the trials.

Last edited by DocRocket; 07/26/21.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahahaha!

Maybe CDC is working on a better test.......

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Combine that with the general incompetence trending in the ranks of the professional community across the broad and you get trust issues.

With all due respect, I and my colleagues have been dealing with patients' distrust for our entire careers. It ain't a new thing. I've had azzhats like TRH try to argue with me about every kooky medical theory under the sun on a regular basis for 30+ years, and I have long since stopped caring about whether they "trust" me or not. My response is to smile, and say "have a nice day" as I show them the door. And if they come back in a week or a month later dying from ignoring best medical advice, I use my best skills to try to save their lives with every skill and piece of information I possess, and I never say "I told you so."

It's not my job to make you trust me, or another doctor. It's my job to give you the best advice I can, given the information I have in my hands at the time.

It is entirely up to each individual patient-person to decide what they want to do.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ralph, all due respect... but since Dr. Bartlett has decided to re-define medical terms like "vaccine" in his own personal terms in defiance of the consensus of the rest of the profession, I have a hard time giving him the time of day. But you go right ahead, it's still a free country.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DocRocket

These numbers do not tell us much about the efficacy of the vaccine given the fact that there are so many possible confounding variables in the sample populations. For example, maybe exposure and transmission factors were different in the vaccinated population. What were the vaccination rates while the mortality numbers were collected. In other words how many people were vaccinated during Feb, March, etc ... of those.

Oldhat, if I squint hard enough I can sort of see that you're almost making a good point here, and I'll help you with that. But first let's make sure we know what we mean by efficacy.

"Efficacy is the degree to which a vaccine prevents disease, and possibly also transmission, under ideal and controlled circumstances – comparing a vaccinated group with a placebo group. Effectiveness meanwhile refers to how well it performs in the real world." ... from a simple Google search for the difference between the two terms. (For those who disparage Google, you can find the same definitions in an epidemiology textbook, if you prefer, but it'll take you longer to find it.)

So what you're actually asking about is the effectiveness, not the efficacy. The efficacy is defined in trials, and is a more theoretical concept. The effectiveness is derived from actual use data, which is almost always a lower number than the efficacy. So in a hypothetical example, vaccine developers can say that a vaccine has an efficacy of 95%, but in the real world under real use conditions (which is affected by all manner of variables like exposure rate, compliance with the vaccine schedule, etc, as you point out) the vaccine's effectiveness will almost always be lower than the efficacy.

As an example, you can look at the earlier shingles vaccine, which came out about 8-10 years ago, which had an efficacy of 90+% in trials, but in actual use had an effectiveness of less than 50%.

In this case we don't actually have enough data to get a true number for the CoV2 vaccines' effectiveness, because it's still early in the study process. We'll have a pretty good number by early 2022, I expect. But these Texas numbers, which btw line up with similar data from all other states in the CONUS that I'm aware of, are HIGHER than the "theoretical" efficacy of 95%.

This is not something you can quibble about. This is not something you can say is confounded by a bunch of other factors. The success is unquestionable by any measure you can name. Using the word maybe, as you have done, is much like saying, "let's pretend...". It's a dodge, no more and no less.

"Maybe something is messing with those numbers, so I'm not going to give them any credence." This is the sort of thing that people say when they have decided they are not going to accept a set of facts that contradict what they are determined to believe no matter what.

Now: is the actual effectiveness of the CoV2 vaccines going to come in at 99.995%, as these raw Texas numbers seem to say? Almost certainly not. But it's pretty much clear that it's going to come in somewhere in the ballpark of the initial efficacy percentage from the trials.

Actually I was simply speaking English as in ... Efficacy: "Power or capacity to produce a desired effect; effectiveness."

You were making a big deal about the low death rate among the vaccinated. Not me. You changed the subject to the generally vague notion of efficacy/effectivenessas used in the world of vaccines. It is vague because what the threshold of "disease" is is vague and not always measurable(sniffles or ????). Viral load would be much better.

Back to the actual subject of my response.

Hey, Fugqoffski... 8787 deaths in Texas due to CoV2 since February. All but 43 of those deaths in non-vaccinated people.

That's 99. 995% non-vaccinated people.

Your numbers, not mine, *could* be meaningless because of confounding factors. I'm using confounding factor as a term of art from statistical science. You should know what that means.

I use the word "could" because YOU gave the numbers with out full detail about the sample space for those numbers.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Combine that with the general incompetence trending in the ranks of the professional community across the broad and you get trust issues.

With all due respect, I and my colleagues have been dealing with patients' distrust for our entire careers. It ain't a new thing. I've had azzhats like TRH try to argue with me about every kooky medical theory under the sun on a regular basis for 30+ years, and I have long since stopped caring about whether they "trust" me or not. My response is to smile, and say "have a nice day" as I show them the door. And if they come back in a week or a month later dying from ignoring best medical advice, I use my best skills to try to save their lives with every skill and piece of information I possess, and I never say "I told you so."

It's not my job to make you trust me, or another doctor. It's my job to give you the best advice I can, given the information I have in my hands at the time.

It is entirely up to each individual patient-person to decide what they want to do.

Thank you for the "behind the scenes" perspective.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And iirc something like 43 Chinese scientists were working for Pfizer?

How many work for Bausch + Lomb? 13,000 employees...how many are Chinese?

You know, this B&L..You putting Chinese developed drops in patients eyes????

https://www.bausch.com/

Addition: Did you ever place any B&L ophthalmics in patients eyes and they still lost vision or went blind..Was it the condition or the drops? Number of adverse events reported after the use of long term opthalmic preparations, that supposedly had an established safety profile? After a rare reported adverse event, did you ever again use that particular product on patients?

Last edited by battue; 07/26/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You guys are sure a suspicious lot. You believe the news about the fires, hot weather, floods out east, micro chip shortage, Olympics..., but mention Covid and it's all BS. Then too you are all talking about mortality. What about being sicker than you have ever been or risking getting an $850,000. hospital bill like our friend Kathy who is "recovered" with life long respiratory issues who needs a walker now to get around? Sure most people recover from Covid, but why risk getting it in the first place? My insurance man got it alone up at his cabin last bow season and he was so weak that he couldn't pick up his bow. He told me that he knew he was in trouble and that if he'd of had a manual transmission car, he might not have been able to make it back into town to get help. We could have achieved herd immunity by now if so many people didn't politicize the shot. Mississippi has the lowest vaccination rate in the nation and the highest Covid infection rate per capita. It might not be a coincidence that they also have the poorest education system in the country? You all have a small pox shot scar, got a polio shot, get a tetanus and your kid won't get into school without an MMR shot... But the CDC and Covid-19 or it's variants is all Bull S*it. Where does your moral high attitude come from by being a bull head? YOU are the reason that they are locking down the entire country again.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
....They are going to have a problem, voting for Trump in 3 years while he tells them to be vaccinated. He just told them to do so a couple days ago...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I use the word "could" because YOU gave the numbers with out full detail about the sample space for those numbers.

Fair enough. But in fairness, you could go to the TX.gov website and get the numbers from them directly, get the background data from whatever public databses you care to, then do the analysis yourself rather than expecting me (or anyone else to do it).

If this sounds like a challenge to you, maybe it is...
wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And iirc something like 43 Chinese scientists were working for Pfizer?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56424614

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Doc have you seen the Vaccine test in Serrana Brazil ? I think they were testing a Chinese Vaccine.

It looked pretty good to the untrained eye.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll try to give it a look. Chinese products ain't all bad, btw...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
You guys are sure a suspicious lot. You believe the news about the fires, hot weather, floods out east, micro chip shortage, Olympics..., but mention Covid and it's all BS. Then too you are all talking about mortality. What about being sicker than you have ever been or risking getting an $850,000. hospital bill like our friend Kathy who is "recovered" with life long respiratory issues who needs a walker now to get around? Sure most people recover from Covid, but why risk getting it in the first place? My insurance man got it alone up at his cabin last bow season and he was so weak that he couldn't pick up his bow. He told me that he knew he was in trouble and that if he'd of had a manual transmission car, he might not have been able to make it back into town to get help. We could have achieved herd immunity by now if so many people didn't politicize the shot. Mississippi has the lowest vaccination rate in the nation and the highest Covid infection rate per capita. It might not be a coincidence that they also have the poorest education system in the country? You all have a small pox shot scar, got a polio shot, get a tetanus and your kid won't get into school without an MMR shot... But the CDC and Covid-19 or it's variants is all Bull S*it. Where does your moral high attitude come from by being a bull head? YOU are the reason that they are locking down the entire country again.

So, the Pfizer vax with a now reported success rate of only 39% by GB and Israel would have prevented that, right?

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.