W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by battue

Only problem with many of the older ones, and the old Brit shotguns are especially suspect, is soft steel. Will only show itself if the gun has been shot more than a little. However, one of the reasons the Brit guns of the past were sent back to be tightened up on a regular basis. Which also was true of the old London "Best" that were used extensively on the driven fields. And a good reason for having any older double checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at. That and if a part lets loose, you are most likely looking at having a good smith duplicate it. Which may or may not hurt more than a little.

That’s exactly why you need to look at

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

The barrels, action and wood has all been checked for tolerance and guaranteed. No guesswork here, just a solid guarantee:

We offer a five day inspection period with a "Return demanded if not delighted!" - no questions asked return policy.

There isn’t any used gun that will always past scrutiny regardless of origin.

There is no guesswork at Hill Rod And Gun

Just to clarify, are you associated with Hill Rod and Gun?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice selection...

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Only problem with many of the older ones, and the old Brit shotguns are especially suspect, is soft steel. Will only show itself if the gun has been shot more than a little. However, one of the reasons the Brit guns of the past were sent back to be tightened up on a regular basis. Which also was true of the old London "Best" that were used extensively on the driven fields. And a good reason for having any older double checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at. That and if a part lets loose, you are most likely looking at having a good smith duplicate it. Which may or may not hurt more than a little.

That’s exactly why you need to look at

http://www.hillrodandgun.com/

The barrels, action and wood has all been checked for tolerance and guaranteed. No guesswork here, just a solid guarantee:

We offer a five day inspection period with a "Return demanded if not delighted!" - no questions asked return policy.

There isn’t any used gun that will always past scrutiny regardless of origin.

There is no guesswork at Hill Rod And Gun

Just to clarify, are you associated with Hill Rod and Gun?

Clarification is what is lacking on the Campfire. I have nothing to do with Hill Rod And Gun, but the site speaks for itself.

So many times endorsements are little more than someone trying to make an unsupported opinion. Check out the elk hunting forum and you will find many opinions of guys that have never shot an elk.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There’s a Simson 20 in great condition on uplandjournal right now, at the high end of your budget. Late 60s vintage.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Upland Journal...Nice site as long as you don’t offend Dave????. Or you will be post holed...😀

If I had to make a bet....he voted for Biden.
And don’t even think about mentioning where you hunt...castrated and then post holed....

Gun control and politics will get you post holed.

However, some posters take some superb upland pics.

Last edited by battue; 07/26/21.

IC B2

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree that experience matters. I only asked because you used the word "We" outside of quotations. This is not to say that a seller can't give good advice. It just nice to be able to separate helpful personal advice, like yours, from a sales pitch.

Another thought for the OP. Whatever gun you choose, attend a few vintage type shoots where lots of double gun guys will be gathered. At a typical skeet/trap club not many side by sides are seen. In this way, you'll encounter guys who are glad to let you handle, and sometimes shoot, a variety of guns. You'll make some new friends in the process as well. Best wishes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Many good suggestions here. However, if you want to honor the old time Georgia Quail traditions….it will be a Parker or Fox.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nothing wrong with good old Stevens or Savage sxs's. Winchester model 24's were also great all around guns. Not as pretty as some more expensive ones, but are you trying to impress that other guys, or get some birds?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There is always adequate, good, better and best. And nothing wrong with appreciation of quality tools.

And if any who have handled more than a few SxS do not appreciate a perfectly balanced English or quality SxS then they should stay with adequate.

It’s about yourself, not someone else. And some fail to appreciate the concept.

Last edited by battue; 07/27/21.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
".....It’s about yourself, not someone else. And some fail to appreciate the concept......"

Exactly my point of giving simple advice.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For you there is nothing wrong with…however the OP was referring to a better quality shotgun. Plus, you had to throw in “the who you trying to impress” dig.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Actually the original post did not totally say no to simple, old utilitarian guns. He is seeking advice. I offered advice....

to the Original Poster, if you consider savings on a great older basic shotgun, you then have more money to enjoy maybe another hunt, supplies, or a second gun (never a bad thing). Never meant to offend with my advice. Have a great hunt.

Last edited by hikerbum; 07/27/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Double triggers are not all the hard to figure out....And it is highly unlikely you will find a good small gauge Parker or Fox for $2000.

Many good suggestions here. However, if you want to honor the old time Georgia Quail traditions….it will be a Parker or Fox.

You are right on all counts, although a Sterlingworth isn't too far out of budget if you settle for 2-1/2 inch chambers. They have gone up a good bit since I last looked.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
A shooter Fox Sterlingworth in 20ga can be found for $2000 if you dig around. Probably even a pretty nice one if you go with extractors. Many other good options out there as has been mentioned as well. I have no problems with a 12ga personally, but I will mention “some— read, not all” GA plantations will not allow or at least discourage anything over a 20ga for quail hunts. At least worth mentioning so you can check into the issue or help in your decision making.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Loper, I am NOT an authority on SxS's, but I love them and have shot a lot of low budget upland (desert quail and chukar)...so, truth be told, I handled some fine English guns, courtesy of their owners, was advised by the owners that I could get English fit and handling by going with Basque (Eibar) guns. The knowledgeable guys also taught me some key points on gun fit, so, with my limited budget and limited knowledge, I haunted gun shows for a few years and found what fit most importantly and far second, what I could afford. Ended up with a Ugartachea and an AYA, both in 12 bore. I didn't shop for a name, I shopped for fit to my body dimensions. And never regretted either purchase. I got into 2 near new guns, sidelocks, double triggers, for less than 2400 total, 1970's dollars. Keep in mind, Basque guns have different grades, primarily cosmetics, and the upper grades can go well into 5 digits. I went with 'economy' grades, same guns, perfectly regulated, just plain wood and minimal embellishment.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don’t know how recent this is, but just saw it will looking at the Lion Country Supply website...

https://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugartechea-statement.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t know how recent this is, but just saw it will looking at the Lion Country Supply website...

Certainly one of the Spanish Best gun mfgs. Wonder what happened? Apparently the Basques are facing a similar challenge as others with a lack of young folks who want to go into the business so it may be as simple as no hands to make them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still have AyA and Grulla.....However, inexpensive they are not...Some eye candy...

https://www.grullaarmas.com/en/our-shotguns-and-rifles

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs

Certainly one of the Spanish Best gun mfgs. Wonder what happened? Apparently the Basques are facing a similar challenge as others with a lack of young folks who want to go into the business so it may be as simple as no hands to make them.

That statement is a few years old. Pretty sure it was a case of no young ones wanting to take it over, but just a guess. A month ago or so the owner? of Ugartechea posted on a Facebook double gun page he was liquidating all remaining parts. Everything from complete actions to stock blanks to barrel sets.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for that Battue. As a Red Green level artisan, I’m always amazed by those whose medium is in wood and steel.

To the OP, it’s purely personal but a finer SxS, I dare say, will give you reward far past its initial cost.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 007FJ, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.