Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Half, maybe more, of the young guys I know, come around here to use the range, or have accuracy questions, whatever...have been raised by Mom. Not bad young men, just not exposed to the gun and hunting culture like us 70 somethings. For instance, I went to a high school that fielded a smallbore rifle team and had a well equipped indoor range. I can't tell you how many kids taking woodshop built rifle stocks for their senior year. My junior high school hosted Remington exhibition shooters...for years the school proudly displayed in the trophy case a large copper sheet with the near perfect silhouette of an Indian head in full warbonnet outlined with .22 caliber bulletholes. That's gun culture.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear ya! Just turned 67 and I've taught both my sons a lot about guns and all my old models are going to them someday, hopefully before I croak. When they were small I would take them to gun shows with me where they inadvertently learned a lot. I bought a new Python also in 1973 for $125, still have it. Got two Win model 12s one in 20 and one in 12 both with factory ribs mfg 54 and 57. And the list goes on.

Anytime you want to talk old guns just send me a PM.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm bumping 80 and here I sit with a hunting season opening today. Federal Subsistence Caribou Season opened today but It's to damned hot to handle meat and then there's the bugs.
I'm only a month away from waterfowl and moose seasons but I have to catch a few lake trout first.

I have two great-nephews that have picked up on guns and hunting and we're having a great time as they transition from black street guns to accurate bolt guns. We were recently at the range where I was shooting my new Volquartzen 17HMR and shooting holes in quarters at 100 yards.They soon realized that their magazine dump shooting was seldom on the paper. Good young men that grew up on the East Coast and Europe but they are turning this way rapidly.

We old phardtz are fading fast and I can't believe some of the nice collections I'm seeing in gun stores. A recent trip to Los Anchorage revealed a multitude of Winchester lever guns in Great Northern Guns and Boondocks.Wonderful old Stevens single shots and even a bunch of Marlins in Fairbanks at Wood and Steel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Elmer, little bulshitartist in a big hat,, Oconner, yep more of the same, they could write a fancy line

Well, you never read Elmer.

Elmer sold out to the advertisers. I lost all respect for the man when he wrote that the post-64 M70 was better than the pre-64. That post-64 was my first centerfire and a post is exactly what it handled like. I'd turned down a mint pre-war M70 from my neighbor for the same kind of money. Elmer's 600 yard wounded mule deer shot with his M29 .44 Magnum read like a stretch for me also. Jack's book "The Rifle" was a good read from the library.

Getting a little gray around the muzzle myself, so a few months back I photographed all my guns and cataloged them with a description and gave each of my sons a copy asking which of any they would like someday. Crickets. I'm afraid their idea of getting outdoors is mowing the lawn or jumping in the Polaris 1000 cc UTV and raising dust.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Everything changes, and not necessarily for the Better!

I'm Semi Retired, and Agree with you guy's!

We've lowered our standards in this Country, to accept mediocrity!

I still respect, and miss the old Timers, and Old days!

The greatest generation is almost gone now!

Just a few remain, and named that for a reason!

I tip my Hat!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Add 25 years to that and you will be really disappointed. About all that is left on the fire here are wise asses or trolls who post some insane thread that is about Covid, political nonsense, or some other subject so far removed from the intent of this forum.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am relatively young(52). But I feel old. It is not my physical, spiritual or even mental age. It is just that people really don't seem to know guns anymore. I guess it is because even at the lgs people don't talk about guns much anymore. People are caught up on twisting turrets and 6.5 manbun. People don't complain about the lack of primers here. They just buy factory. Nobody talks about Elmer, Jack or Warren. They shoot tikkers in 300wsm and go in to check their zeros and then go hunting. The pendulum has swung to the side that the rifle is a tool like a hammer. My uncle recently was killed in a car wreck near Ogalla Nebraska. He would talk guns with me. He was very practical but had knowledge. My father who passed on three years ago really knew guns and I miss him. It seems that most people I am around are much younger and have zilch for deep knowledge of guns and even practical knowledge of how to squeeze accuracy out of them. This week I bought a new edition colt python. It had been on the shelf for about a month and I just gave up and bought it. I don't have anybody even to tell me that a SW 686 is a better gun. I see a bunch of folks that don't appreciate the finer elements of guns. I wonder if any of you feel that way.

You are not old.

You are Classic.

You now have the mantle of responsibility to preserve the old ways for the next generation.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Add 25 years to that and you will be really disappointed. About all that is left on the fire here are wise asses or trolls who post some insane thread that is about Covid, political nonsense, or some other subject so far removed from the intent of this forum.

True but many things get discussed around The Campfires everywhere’s.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ask the youngsters about there mobile phones and they are all gurus about that!! Firearms?? Wouldn’t know sheep s hit from shineola!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by saddlesore

True but many things get discussed around The Campfires everywhere’s.

True,but mostly not what some of the post on here are and after one page they all degrade into a pi$$ing contest. Usually by the same crowd. Anything relevant or useful appears on the first page

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
We boomers lived in the best of times when we were in our prime, I honestly believe that. I am actually proud of our generation, surely we weren't as great as the WW ll generation but still did pretty good.
I had a young guy take me to the verbal woodshed here on the 'Fire, because I couldn't figure out how to post links and photos...and I'm guilty of that and ashamed really, children can do it apparently, but I am too lazy to take a night course a hundred miles round trip to learn. I backed away from a tit pulling, but I wanted to ask him if he could build a road, a dam, a bridge, did he help build an oilfield, did he help build a pipeline? I wanted to tell him I could take my grandsons to places these things were accomplished, and say, boys, I helped build that. I wanted to ask him if he planned to show his grandsons the buttons he pushed in the proper sequence, to achieve his goals. But, there was no point, he wouldn't even know what I was talking about. Worlds apart.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by arkypete
I'm 73 and ever so thankful for having grown up surrounded by the heroes of WWII. WWI and Korea. My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon. The young fellas of today have a tough row to hoe. I feel sorry for my grandsons the nation we are leaving them is on the decline.

Very much liked your statement... My grand fathers were the generation that spanned the time from pioneer era to man walking on the moon.

So true for many of us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 45_100
I dont feel old as much as I feel like I am being left behind. Things are changing and I liked things better the way they were. Guns that are blued steel and walnut. Leather holsters, boots and gloves. Wool jackets. Strike anywhere matches. Canvas wall tents. Coleman lanterns that make that hissing sound. Pumping up the Coleman stove. Red Skelton and Hee Haw.
Some things are definitely better. Cars last longer and have better air conditioners. Cell phones are handy but not essential. Optics have far exceeded my requirements. Electronics have far exceeded my desire to learn to use them. Darbyshire has a nice 22 rifle.

Can’t put better words ^^^ to it.

57 here but grew up in an environment similar to most 70 & 80 year old rural folks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by g5m
I am still surprised at how few people know anything about guns. I'm an old guy and practically every kid I knew growing up knew about guns. Now, with the state crowded with coastal transplants the lack of knowledge is very real. And there is little interest from the general population it seems.

My son moved to South Dakota last year and took a Sears Model 53 in 30-06 (post 64 M70) with him. He went into a store with it and the smith there was amazed he had that rifle and they have struck up a bit of a friendship. When he left, he didn't ask for an AR. He will be hunting in SD this fall.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I recently had a long conversation with my friend's 10 year old son while he was sitting in my UTV about 2 weeks ago. We ran across them on their way to go fishing at a little pond back in the woods.

The boy talked to me about the turkey he got this spring and then got his father's phone and showed me some pictures of it. We also talked about last deer season and plans for this coming season. He too shoots a 6.5 Creedmoor and his manhood doesn't appear to be threatened in the least.

Last fall, a few mornings before school started (he was 9), we would sneak out with a 410 and killed a few doves and a squirrel at the bird feeder behind the house. He skinned the squirrel and breasted the doves and gave them to his mom and said he wanted them for dinner when he came home from school.

Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith never came up in our conversation, or walnut stocked guns and Blackjack gum. Just a good conversation with an all American boy, doing all American things, telling me HIS story and not the stories of someone in print.

After talking with him for about 45 minutes, he grabbed his fishing rod joined mom at the pond to fish.

You couldn't ask for better.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very interesting.. I am 74, my great grandchildren are a bit of a disappointment to me, but they are really step children, so I guess.. My step family likes guns and shooting, but not the way I do.. I am lucky I guess I still have a couple older and younger pals to talk guns with.. But as someone said, we have seen the best of times.. I used to travel to W. Va. to hunt deer, there were hundreds.. Now with development and a lazy game commission, it isn't worth the time to go.. Sad.. It is still okay in my area, but just okay..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hasn't been a problem around here for me. 36 though....seems like half the town is spinning up various rifles.

Last edited by AKduck; 08/01/21.

Yup.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I am 48, been pissed since I was a kid at all the stuff I missed by being born too late. Looking at old Shotgun News issues from the early 60’s and liking history like I did ruined me for life. Have wished for most of my life to have been born in the 1850’s or thereabouts. Anytime from then to the 1880’s would have been prime.

America and the world are not what they used to be. Part of the reason for the black gun frenzy is the world we live in. Folks are scared, pissed or both. Hard to appreciate a high grade walnut stocked pre-war Model 70 when you are watching communism devour your country and way of life. I wish my safe was full of old Winchesters, but its not. It is full of things of purpose. Just now beginning to accumulate some of the things I drooled over as a kid, and its a lot harder and more expensive that it was. Lots of folks won’t ever have the money, and never knew what they missed, to start with.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 08/01/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. One damned near has to special order to secure a wood stock. I don't even pause when passing a plastic gun rack.

What makes me feel old is seeing trees I planted that were the size of a No. 2 pencil (remember those), and they're now 30 ft tall and providing a ton of shade.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/01/21.

1Minute
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,227 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,222
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.