Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

. .In general - my answer is this. I do not want to kill anyone. If I have to use a weapon, I am not going to shoot to wound. I am going to shoot untill the threat is stopped. If in stopping the threat my actions are lethal, then so be it. .

^ ^ ^ pretty much it ^ ^ ^

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As long as it's reliable in the pistol I'm using, I don't care if it's ball or hollow point, or SWC. I mostly shoot 200gr. SWCs and have faith in them to be reliable in the pistols I use. If not, I wouldn't have been using them for 40+ years without incident. I think the sharp shoulder of a SWC might, MIGHT, be a better stopper than ball, but I've got a whole bunch of them (a WHOLE bunch) loaded up from my old competition days, and they still shoot and feed reliably without a problem.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

LEHIGH DEFENSE Xtreme Defense or the same projectile in Underwood offerings.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranger99

. .In general - my answer is this. I do not want to kill anyone. If I have to use a weapon, I am not going to shoot to wound. I am going to shoot untill the threat is stopped. If in stopping the threat my actions are lethal, then so be it. .

An interesting point GeorgiaBoy. Then I guess I would ask when is the threat actually stopped? I'm one of the few people on here who has actually had a home invasion. I didn't want to kill anyone either, but three guys were in my house and one of them had already pummeled me pretty good out in the family room with a floor lamp and an oak bar stool. One ran out, but two of them had their backs to me in my son's room when I went for a handgun in another room. Thank God I didn't need to shoot because they ran when they heard me rack the slide. Were they a threat running away? The police dog tracked them and DNA got one guy with a prior burglary and he served time. The judge told him that he was lucky that I didn't shoot. Hard to say what you would do if you haven't been in that situation. I have.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Were they a threat running away? NO. But had they squared up with you, especially so since they had just beat you with a lamp and a bar stool, if they had turned and squared up instead of run... bang, bang, bang until there is no more need.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Shoot to stop. Stop meaning doing whatever they were doing that put you in fear for your life or limb.

Decades upon decades in the military and I didn't run into a single soul who wished they had less lethal ammo when the chips were down.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Windfall

An interesting point GeorgiaBoy. Then I guess I would ask when is the threat actually stopped? I'm one of the few people on here who has actually had a home invasion. I didn't want to kill anyone either, but three guys were in my house and one of them had already pummeled me pretty good out in the family room with a floor lamp and an oak bar stool. One ran out, but two of them had their backs to me in my son's room when I went for a handgun in another room. Thank God I didn't need to shoot because they ran when they heard me rack the slide. Were they a threat running away? The police dog tracked them and DNA got one guy with a prior burglary and he served time. The judge told him that he was lucky that I didn't shoot. Hard to say what you would do if you haven't been in that situation. I have.

Ok - I'll give it a go.

During a home invasion - anyone in your house is a threat - period.

Were they a threat running away. No, not to you.

That's the way I understand the law in the State of GA.

Now here is the law according to GeorgiaBoy.

When those individuals invaded your home they showed that they had malace and intent. They have to be stopped. If you were to have shot the two guys running away - you would definently want me seated on the jury.

Not only would I vote not to convict - I would argue that you did your civic duty. Your actions probably saved someones life. How? Because the best predictor of future behavior - is - past behavior.

It is easy to call the shots sitting in my recliner. Does anyone really know how they will behave in the moment? A controntation on the street is one thing - but a home invasion - I can't even imagine. That's a different kind of threat. The enemy in no longer at the gate - the eneny is in the house. You are at your most vanurable in that scenario.

I am thankful your son was not hurt and that you were not killed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Have you considered paying a man to stay at your house when you are home?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My general rules for ammo:

1-Keep your gun loaded with something...
2-Use ratshot for varmints and stuff...
3-Watch Paul Harrel to see how ammo performs in your specific platform. Pick what Paul recommends, or what you can get under Democratic Presidencies.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Have you considered paying a man to stay at your house when you are home?

Got a chuckle out of that, thanks!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Depends, apartment complex, maybe not.

Rural, possibly. 230 in a 45, why not it’s worked for decades. 40 and a flat point 👍, 9mm and a flat point 👍

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
My general rules for ammo:

1-Keep your gun loaded with something...
2-Use ratshot for varmints and stuff...
3-Watch Paul Harrel to see how ammo performs in your specific platform. Pick what Paul recommends, or what you can get under Democratic Presidencies.

4- stock up on your preferred carry round(s) and you will never have to worry about #3.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ball is for economic practice.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I found the comment about the 2 bad guys running away when they heard the slide racked in a home defense gun interesting..... isnt a home defense gun supposed to be ready to shoot. That second or two to rack it can be deadly.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by WindFall
Thank God I didn't need to shoot because they ran when they heard me rack the slide..

Why the hell would you need to rack the slide on your go to gun in your home?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Now do some of you understand why I suggested that he should pay a man to be in his home when he's there

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My handguns are loaded w expanding ammo, but nothing elaborate,
Bullets are ball shaped.
Feeding has been 100% (Sig, HK and Colt).

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Originally Posted by WindFall
Thank God I didn't need to shoot because they ran when they heard me rack the slide..

Why the hell would you need to rack the slide on your go to gun in your home?

Maybe he has kids, and for that reason has decided to keep the loaded mag outside the gun. I've heard of people doing this. Wouldn't be my choice, of course.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
the first time that i ever fired centerfire firearms was courtesy of uncle sam in 1972. he gave me plenty of fmj ball ammo, gratis. it worked. i have never bought one round of anything else since, with the exception of 38sp wadcutters. anything else is a gimmick. this is my story and i’m sticking to it, ymmv, cheers.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thank God I didn't need to shoot because they ran when they heard me rack the slide. .

They damn well wouldn't have heard me rack the slide.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,677
Posts18,513,328
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.