Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Probably like most of you, my defensive handguns are loaded with Hydra-shok, HST+P or Critical Defense ammunition. We've all seen what expanding ammo does in soft tissue and I'm thinking that it might be even too good in certain situations. Case in point. We had a case in town last week where a guy was kicking the door to get in and the homeowner shot him in the leg which ended the threat. Nothing further on the news, but I'm thinking what if it could have just been a drunk that thought it was his house or a domestic dispute locking the guy out? A hardball round sure wouldn't be considered less than lethal, but just not as lethal as what some of us are loading. What are your thoughts?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The only reason to carry FMJ is if you are out of JHP.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Probably like most of you, my defensive handguns are loaded with Hydra-shok, HST+P or Critical Defense ammunition. We've all seen what expanding ammo does in soft tissue and I'm thinking that it might be even too good in certain situations. Case in point. We had a case in town last week where a guy was kicking the door to get in and the homeowner shot him in the leg which ended the threat. Nothing further on the news, but I'm thinking what if it could have just been a drunk that thought it was his house or a domestic dispute locking the guy out? A hardball round sure wouldn't be considered less than lethal, but just not as lethal as what some of us are loading. What are your thoughts?

I have premium hollow point ammo in .32 ACP, but when I carry my Kel-Tec P32, it's loaded with FMJ. In a caliber that weak, your priority has to be penetration, not expansion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The thought of carrying FMJ as a less lethal alternative to JHP in case you need to wing a bad guy to mitigate damage rather than shoot for vital fight stopping organs with an expanding bullet is stunningly stupid!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure what the police carry loaded, but very few perps recover from a police shooting. Their situation is different than a homeowner, but I'm sure there have been situations where they wanted something between a +P hollow point and a stun gun.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It was always such a letdown when Capt. Kirk ordered "Set phasers to stun!"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not sure what the police carry loaded, but very few perps recover from a police shooting. Their situation is different than a homeowner, but I'm sure there have been situations where they wanted something between a +P hollow point and a stun gun.

The answer to that isn't found in handgun or rifle ammo. There are some less lethal shotgun rounds.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

How was the homeowner able to shoot the guy in the leg?

Did he shoot through the door? Did he open the door and shoot the quy?

I cannot follow the logic - not enough detail.

In general - my answer is this. I do not want to kill anyone. If I have to use a weapon, I am not going to shoot to wound. I am going to shoot untill the threat is stopped. If in stopping the threat my actions are lethal, then so be it.

So to answer your question - if one has time aim carefully and shoot a "lethal threat" in the leg - then that suggests to me that the threat was probably not lethal in the first place - and a weapon probably should not have been deployed.

Shooting someone in self defense had better be your only resort - and in that case "not as lethal" doesn't enter the equation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure, if it was all I had, & so would anyone else with even a smidgen of a brain......................beats hell out of an empty gun every single time.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

So you didn't want to use lethal force, just hurt them a little bit..

If that is your thought process, unload your gun and put it away completely.

If you use a firearm, and make a statement such as that, you have just earned a one way ticket to prison(+/- the giant civil suit). You have just stated that you did not believe the situation warranted deadly force, but you used a deadly weapon anyway.

You have absolutely NO defense in that case. NONE. ZERO.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I often carry non-expanding loads for self defense, but not for the reason you described.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When your town has a gun buy back program take all your guns and turn them in.... you say some really dumb things here, this is no surprise to me

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

So you didn't want to use lethal force, just hurt them a little bit..

If that is your thought process, unload your gun and put it away completely.

If you use a firearm, and make a statement such as that, you have just earned a one way ticket to prison(+/- the giant civil suit). You have just stated that you did not believe the situation warranted deadly force, but you used a deadly weapon anyway.

You have absolutely NO defense in that case. NONE. ZERO.

Exactly!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I carry non expanding ammo in numerous guns. For various reasons. Penetrating animals, vehicles, etc.

Some older 1911s simply are most reliable with traditional ball profiles, and I consider reliability of paramount performance. I would rather have a 1911 full of ball ammo that I know is going to run 100% of the time, versus a 1911 that is "pretty" reliable with JHPs. Frankly a good SWC or hard cast flat nose is no slouch in the terminal performance game from my experience.

Worrying about terminal performance is definitely secondary to reliability.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's crazy is that this nonsense will go 4 pages, minimum. Ask people to actually shoot guns and it's crickets.

Let these guys load whatever they want. They'll probably miss anyway.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I carry non expanding ammo in numerous guns. For various reasons. Penetrating animals, vehicles, etc.

Some older 1911s simply are most reliable with traditional ball profiles, and I consider reliability of paramount performance. I would rather have a 1911 full of ball ammo that I know is going to run 100% of the time, versus a 1911 that is "pretty" reliable with JHPs. Frankly a good SWC or hard cast flat nose is no slouch in the terminal performance game from my experience.

Worrying about terminal performance is definitely secondary to reliability.

^^^This^^^ x10

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MOGC

The thought of carrying FMJ as a less lethal alternative to JHP in case you need to wing a bad guy to mitigate damage rather than shoot for vital fight stopping organs with an expanding bullet is stunningly stupid!

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still carry .45 ACP ball ammo. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I usually stagger my magazines HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ, HP...

That way if I need to just wing someone I can shoot a round into the dirt until the appropriate bullet is chambered.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
What's crazy is that this nonsense will go 4 pages, minimum. Ask people to actually shoot guns and it's crickets.

Let these guys load whatever they want. They'll probably miss anyway.

Actually a lot of us shoot pretty frequently, but aren't interested in split times or big-name drills. I'm not knocking that; it has its place.

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/09/21.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.