Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
As a purchaser of my first auto pistol (1911) a few short weeks ago, I appreciate the information as to the function of the "half cock notch".

I have one friend who purchased a 1911 a couple years ago. I had to pull pics up on the computer to prove to him the 1911 had a thumb safety. He absolutely did not believe me.

I do not know what he thought the lever was for.

Anyhow, some of us are new members to the 1911 fraternity, and do not mind a bit of friendly advice once in a while.

So far the pistol lives in padded case. A Galco Miami Classic II is being considered for its future home.

Ah, a breath of fresh air in a storm of hostility. Thank you.

While the Galco Miami Classic is rather pricey, it’s every bit worth the money. To do substantially better would take even more money for a semi-custom rig. And, Miami Classic’s thumb strap further blocks the hammer when carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, with a superior snap fastener design which stays closed when it’s supposed to, but opens quickly and easily for the draw. So, take the plunge today. Next month, you’ll have a top notch shoulder holster rig which should be well broken-in by then, and you won’t miss the money.

All the money I’ve spent on Galco products, they should at least name a wing of their building after me.

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Galco Miami Classic II is being considered for its future home.

That's a great holster, but as you probably know, it requires some kind of cover garment when wearing it for socializing.

Also, here are a couple of tips for when you get it.

In all likelihood, the retention strap will be snug & may be hard to snap into place; if it is, wet it thoroughly & snap it into place & leave it for a couple of days to dry.............depending on how tight it is & how tight you want it, you may need to repeat the above more than once.

Likewise, the snap may also not want to release easily using only your gun hand thumb as you attempt to draw the weapon, so you may need to work on the snap a little to get it to release exactly as you want it to. Having to use both hands to get the snap to release is not a good situation to be in.

You will also want to adjust the tension adjustment screw to your liking as well.

Also, Galco makes retention tie downs (sold separately as an accessory) that attach to both the holster side & the magazine side to allow you to clip those points to your belt so that the holster & mag pouches don't swing or flop around................try it 1st w/o them for a while & decide if you are happy or not w/o the retention straps.

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

But being an old lawman, by itself, does not necessarily mean a guy knows what he’s doing when it comes to guns.

You're right..................case in point is this thread.

MM

Agreed, though probably not in the way you may have intended.

No.
Exactly in the way he intended it.

Were you ever a mall security guard?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jmd025
That’s right , always avoid a fight you’ll clearly lose ...

This thread has now reached the point, quite common in Campfire threads, where attempts by the usual suspects to show off for each other has ended its usefulness.

So now you're describing your OP?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That's a great holster, but as you probably know, it requires some kind of cover garment when wearing it for socializing.

In all likelihood, the retention strap will be snug & may be hard to snap into place; if it is, wet it thoroughly & snap it into place & leave it for a couple of days to dry.............depending on how tight it is & how tight you want it, you may need to repeat the above more than once.

Likewise, the snap may also not want to release easily using only your gun hand thumb as you attempt to draw the weapon, so you may need to work on the snap a little to get it to release exactly as you want it to. Having to use both hands to get the snap to release is not a good situation to be in.

You will also want to adjust the tension adjustment screw to your liking as well.

Also, Galco makes retention tie downs (sold separately as an accessory) that attach to both the holster side & the magazine side to allow you to clip those points to your belt so that the holster & mag pouches don't swing or flop around................try it 1st w/o them for a while & decide if you are happy or not w/o the retention straps.

MM

Great recommendations there. I’ve used that same holster for years for winter carry in TX with a light jacket.
Works well for driving too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks for the holster advice. I appreciate it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

MM

I can not imagine a 1911 as any kind of "social" accessory. Especially considering we just came through six weeks of 100 degree plus temps with it around 80 degrees each morning at 6:00 AM as I step into the car for work.

From April to November, I live in Carhartt T-shirts. With buttons for dress up.

The Galco holster will serve for trips to the range, ATV rides, and just bummng around in the hills.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

MM

I can not imagine a 1911 as any kind of "social" accessory. Especially considering we just came through six weeks of 100 degree plus temps with it around 80 degrees each morning at 6:00 AM as I step into the car for work.

From April to November, I live in Carhartt T-shirts. With buttons for dress up.

The Galco holster will serve for trips to the range, ATV rides, and just bummng around in the hills.

12 mos a yr for me. They are long enough to work great with any of my CCW holsters, either IWB or OWB.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

It has nothing to do with hostility and everything to do with you projecting yourself as a subject matter expert and wanting to teach the masses. I have spent a little bit of time teaching. A significant portion of that was in the martial use of weapons.

Any time I teach, I present to those who attend the classes a short biography of who I am and my background. That way they know who is teaching them.

It matters.

There are a whole bunch of people out there who profess/pretend to be SMEs (subject matter experts), when in fact they are far from that.

So with that said, I don't think it is unreasonable for any of us to ask what your background is.

Especially if you are going to lecture a group of people whom you don't know, and state that it is your "responsibility" to teach the masses.

It is also not unreasonable to ask why it is your responsibility, and who bestowed this responsibility upon you.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

It has nothing to do with hostility and everything to do with you projecting yourself as a subject matter expert and wanting to teach the masses. I have spent a little bit of time teaching. A significant portion of that was in the martial use of weapons.

Any time I teach, I present to those who attend the classes a short biography of who I am and my background. That way they know who is teaching them.

It matters.

There are a whole bunch of people out there who profess/pretend to be SMEs (subject matter experts), when in fact they are far from that.

So with that said, I don't think it is unreasonable for any of us to ask what your background is.

Especially if you are going to lecture a group of people whom you don't know, and state that it is your "responsibility" to teach the masses.

It is also not unreasonable to ask why it is your responsibility, and who bestowed this responsibility upon you.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Never mind all that, when did you earn your Eagle scout badge?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Were you an Army commissioned officer? Is that why you did not go to Brems?

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Do you also text yourself and then answer those texts?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=local_dirt]Do you also text yourself and then answer those texts?[/quote

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think this belongs here.

[Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]

I am just here for entertainment.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Chippy,

The interesting thing about all that, is nowhere in that long winded reply is there a single reference to you being a certified 1911 armorer for an agency, or holding any factory certificates that relate to the 1911. Neither basic or advanced.

Being a civilian contractor in AFG and teaching legal/paperwork matters, and watching our military do things off base, while you sit on-post is not relevant to 1911s. I know darn well you were not carrying a 1911, as I am intimately familiar with what weapons systems were on the books with DOS during your stated time frame. Attending law school is also not relevant. If this topic were about prosecuting drunks who crashed on the I-5, then some of your background would be relevant.

18 months of active service, with most of that spent teaching MP things, then as you state, before long becoming a provost marshal investigator for the rest of your 18 months of active service, is again not relevant.

Again, nowhere in there is there documented in-depth training on the internal workings of a 1911 such as on the level that a unit armorer would receive, or even at the level of a state police armorer, such as attending the Colt 1911 armorer school. And that is just the very most basic of levels.

Nowhere is there anything about you teaching any armorer schools as an SME. If you were an SME, it is likely that you would have a resume that showed you as instructing 1911 specific classes. There is nothing.

The funny part is that a great many of us can recognize the "Baffle them with BS" schtick when we see it, and it is no surprise that when your background doesn't really measure up, you just throw out a bunch of totally irrelevant fluff to make your lack of qualifications less obvious, such as talking about watching an A-10 drop ordinance. While watching an A-10 drop bombs is cool, it has absolutely nothing to do with how a 1911 works. But as you know throwing out fluff to mask facts (such as lack of creds in this case), is something that attorneys do.

You might want to slow your roll a bit. You don't know your audience or their backgrounds. One thing is universal. Nobody like unsolicited advice, especially when it is from someone who thinks they know more than everyone one else, and comes across as "my way is the only way".

Food for thought.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I think this belongs here.

[Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]

I am just here for entertainment.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!!

laugh

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 79 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,852
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.